Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

iioshius posted:

If I wanted to sell a gun online, what responsibilities do I have legally in order to do so?

The ATF FAQ I found here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html seems like I just need to call and confirm that the FFL actually exists. Do I need a copy of the FFL's license, or is calling enough? Do I need to keep that copy on file?

It's been hard to find concrete instructions online and I was hoping some of you guys would have some insight. I'm in Florida, if that effects anything.

If the gun is going out of state:

All you need is the Address and FFL # of the place you are sending it to. Its up to the buyer to provide that to you, and make sure they will accept shipments from some random guy. A long gun can be shipped for $25, a handgun will be more and require you to jump through some special hoops depending on UPS or FEDEx

In state:

You *might* be able to to Face to face. Check your local laws. Otherwise you find an FFL and do the transfer there.

Its *really* very easy, and I was shocked. Its part of the reason i got so many guns in a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Caveman posted:

In that case I would get the AR rig (3 or 6 pouch, depending on how much you want to carry) and add some molle shotshell pouches.

but I'm just a gun dork on the internet

so my ideal rig would be

electronic :effort:

i was looking at a similar setup. How do you handle front mag pouches on stages you need to go prone?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cheap Bourbon posted:

There's no way I'm attaching an NFA item (for those who live in the states) to a HD device, yer up poo poo creek if it you ever decide to use it (with time and money).

Citation needed

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

EndofGoogle posted:

Long story short, my father had a bout of depression and mentioned suicide. He was in a care center for a few days to clear out and everything was dandy. Now today my local police department calls me up and says that the prosecutor has advised them that my guns and my mother's have to be stored out of the house at the police station till things clear up. They say I could take them out when I goto the range, but I have a hard time believing this at all, especially in NJ. Calling a firearms lawyer tomorrow and holding off on turning them over until them.

"Thank you for the concern, and the idea, but we will be locking them in a safe he has no access too / offsite in a secure safe / my place in a secure safe"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

On the plus side, you can probably get Mike Rowe to work there for a day. Dirty jobs bonus.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

That is what I forgot to buy this year. Hell yes pics

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Fremry, we have spoken about this. At length.

I suggest : http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-EDV-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278507468&sr=8-8

its sitting in my gun safe now, and works very well. Sure, you plug it in later to purge the water back into the air, but you sealed the door of your gunsafe with weatherstripping, right?

Unless you go in daily to fondle weapons, it works well. after all the ammo my tantal went through at the 3 gun, i just now got around to cleaning it. No rust even with the oppressive humidity and rain alternating we get. The closet my safe is in shares an outside wall, and its not privy to conditioned air.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

That is a K11 rebarreled to 30-30? 7.5 Swiss is supposed to be VERY close to .308, so are you sure its a different barrel? i can't tell from pics

EDIT - the barrel does look really different. does it have 30 WCF stamped on the barrel?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The research I read tends to read the rifles are pretty rare (30-30 k11), but i wonder if 'rare' in this case means only because not many people did that.

its a great rifle, but I have only shot it using GP11 (7.5 Swiss)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Also it could just walk off with little chance of being recovered.

See: Philly airport and LAX

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Catdonkey posted:

I just got a gun through West Coast Armory in Issaquah, the fee was ~$30 and they charged me the sales tax on the spot. Also, they let me walk away with it that day with my CPL.

I chose the place because the price was reasonable, it wasn't just some schmuck off the street, and it was about 10 min from my house.

Gun stores are not allowed to charge tax on anything they didn't directly sell to you. They didn't buy it, it didn't come from their inventory, so they have no reason to collect a tax. All they did was transfer it.

Unless he is collecting sales tax on the transfer itself. Or just 'collecting' the sales tax for the state it came from, which he will forward to them later (sure)

but I admit that some states have a very weird tax code.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

thermobollocks posted:

The one FFL I've asked about it (Colorado) is of the opinion that it's a murky area and he doesn't feel like dealing with it, so just keep quiet about it.

And does he have bass with $$ all own filled with ash and a note telling which state it goes to?

I mean, all it takes is a quick phone call to the state and asking a direct question. Know anyone at the state tax board or IRS that can verify they are in fact sending this taxes out?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

stupid iphone spellcheck.

I meant to say if he has bags with $$ on them and a note to which state they should go to.

but its kind of pointless now (and then?)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

I'm thinking more about the believers of Homeopathy being similar to the type of people who believe in Hydrostatic shock.

Homeopathy has 214 years of debunking behind it.

Hydrostatic shock may prove to have some truth behind it, but in another 200 years, even if it is totally debunked, I think it will still have people who believe in it. After all, Hydrostatic loving Shock! :neckbeard: Could it sound *any* cooler?

Is hydrostatic shock = the temporary cavity shown in ballistics gel? or are we talking about some other black magic ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I like turtles posted:

I know it has been asked before, and will be asked again, but: 9mm defensive loads? Any difference in recommendation between a 3" XD and a P226?

Speer gold dots in 124g +P JHP are what I carry in my G19 now. The winchester SXT version of the same thing are also highly recommended, and they are much cheaper for seemingly the same performance.

i think the 124g +P are the closest to NATO 9mm pressure levels, so various military issue pistols with their heavier springs cycle it well, whereas they might balk at 115g WWB (I'm looking at you CZ SP-01)

I don't know if the P226 is 'meant' to run higher pressure duty ammo.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

yeah, that was what I was trying to imply, but didn't i guess. The SXT is the better deal, unless you buy Speer in bulk. And i don't think i have ever found it in stock on like in the 50 packs, but SXT is all over (that I can see, anyway)

i don't look every day though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Same guy has a 250 round package of the same for $150 + actual shipping, looks like he has quite a bit of ammo.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179885995

Has other ammo too.

my local walmart had winchester 40 S&W defense ammo.. I was surprised they sold that there.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

infrared35 posted:

The reason I ask is because I saw some Simunition conversion kits for the HK USP for sale, and they were hand-engraved "PBSP." Pelican Bay State Prison is the only thing I could find that would make sense.

Typically guards inside the prison won't have firearms, not even the ERT/SRT guys in most cases. Firearms are usually confined to the towers and perimeter vehicles. At least in Michigan.

Speaking of which, we had a prison break here last week - three guys in the high security facility attacked a delivery truck driver with a shiv (tried to slit the guy's throat but thankfully were in too big a hurry), took his truck, and got most of the way through the fence. The three jumped out of the truck just as the perimeter vehicle drove up. The guard racked his shotgun and yelled "stop!" Two of the guys hit the ground and proned out. The third guy kept running and the guard took him clean out. I think they said it was about a 50-yard shot on a moving target with a short-barreled 870. All three were in for murder; the guy who kept running was in for life for murdering four members of his family plus his brother's girlfriend, all at Thanksgiving dinner.

Proof that simply racking your shotgun will only stop 66.66666..% of felons that break into your home

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

My SP-01 I found on gunbroker for $450 used. But it turns out it was so lightly used it was basically new. it still had the CZ grease on the inside.

SP-01s seem to be changing from run to run, as the tactical and stock config differences seem to be differing, as mine came with tritium sights, but i have the safety. The similar config seems to run $614.80 at CZCustom +$100 for the trigger job.

The Tactical model runs $668. Just the trigger job on a gun they don't sell is $80 + shipping cost both ways, so its cheaper to buy used and get it done. Or do it yourself.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Really think the sp01 'base' model was meant to have a safety and basic sights, and the tactical switched to tritium and a decocker. Optionally you had a target option with fiber optic sights. Then I think they just said screw it and gave the base model tritium too

Oh I think the tactical comes with wood grips. But I have all the same now, just a safety vs decocker, and I see no other difference. Plus it's easier to change the trigger on a safety model.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

depends on what you like, and situation. The cheap orange foam ones for like .10 each work great for simple range trips for all calibers.

electronic muffs are great even at cheap levels, and you can hear conversations.

I recently switched to surefire http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

They fit in my ears, they are cheap, and worked very well in the 3gun match i shot outdoors. I could hear people too. Not as well as with electronic, but not as bad as foam or non active earpro. The biggest plus was I was able to wear a hat, and get a better cheek weld.

Indoors i would probably stick with electronic earpro.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

AntiTank posted:

Should i cheap out on a AR-15 charging handle?

buy a cheap, well made 'regular' one. $15? or so. unless you really really feel the need to go HSLD and get a big latch.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I've mixed and matches 'proper' brass 5.56 and wolf, with the majority being wolf, and no issues exracting.

At worst you get a box or 2 for $4.50/20 and try it out. It really does depend on your particular gun. All of arfcom swears on bushmnaster, and they are the ones cocking up on wolf.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Just reading the wiki cliff notes page on it is a tough read.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ive used non -CL brake cleaner on my glock, and even my ruger MKIII without issue. I dont really let it sit for long on the plastic though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

spankmeister posted:

What about a CZ 75 with the kadett kit?

a kadet kit currently runs more expensive then a CZ in most cases. you would think they were gold.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

foghorn posted:

Find out what your local police department carries and carry that. Or, if they carry something else, what the closest 9mm issuing department uses. Because as much as we make fun of it and don't believe it, there actually are prosecutors that will try to screw you over for having "bullets designed to kill" in your gun (hollow points). And the best defense is being able to say you simply carry the same stuff the cops do.

(This fine advice brought to you by my local legal adviser but in no way shape or form is legal advice)

The only way this makes sense is that you are getting the same brand/load that a PD uses reliably and meets certain criteria. its probably cheaper in a shop frequented by cops since they order a bunch of it too for training (if its that kind of range)

There is no hardened DA that is going to be tripped up by your 'alleged' justifiable homicide because you happen to have the same bullets as the police use.

i have a CCW 'badge', i should get a pass because cops have them too!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

Not that I support or endorse this project in any way, but he can probably get a re-arsenaled 91/30 sniper (with a non-sniper stock and filled-in scope holes) for $10 more than a regular crappyr Mosin. I know the Ocala Armory in Florida imported a ton of them.

All of my research suggests that getting an original sniper mosin would result in you getting a shot out barrel unless you were very very lucky.

Otherwise you are getting a sniper that went through a rearsenal process and lost the stock, etc from its original configuration, making it hardly the shooter it once was.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

priznat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VdxHvQqsk

Pants.. pooped.

Welp, the first line of the description:

quote:

Leon Lorenz fired a single gunshot into the air, scaring the grizzly bears away as they charged towards him

I guess Plasma1010 was right!

.. oh wait

quote:

Lorenz said he took cover behind a spruce tree so he could film the bears without disturbing them, but the mother bear picked up his scent.

She turned suddenly, he said, and looked him right in the eyes.

Then, roaring, she charged through the trees right at Lorenz.

so this bear, with Plasma's 3, make 4. that is a 75% chance the bears will just run away. I'll take that over the 3% chance ill bear mace myself ANY DAY

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

i find it more amazing you were driving (or allowed to drive) with no depth perception at all.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

What is the correct term to search for replacement caps for optics? I am coming up bust on midway and brownells for something that should be pretty common.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lens covers

:doh:

its always something obvious

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

beaver_cheese posted:

Do any of you guys use Golden Rods in your safes or cabinets? I recently moved and noticed a tiny bit of surface rust on 2 of my guns. I think it's because of the move and where they're now stored. Unfortunately it's a small apartment and where I have them is my only option. Will a Golden Rod help in my situation? I should mention that I keep my guns stored with a light coat of oil on them, but some rust still showed up in a few spots.

i popped one of these in my 'gunsafe'

i've only needed to recharge it a couple times in 8+ months, so i don't think i get much humidity anyway.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

DkHelmet posted:

Recommend me a small, compact, magnified scope anywhere up to 4x, illuminated is a plus, illuminated via fiber optic even better. I know gently caress all about scopes. Application is for a funky .22 if that helps.

And cheap. The Primary Arms one looks good, but it's a little big.

Edit: Hmmm, Burris Timberline.

you played with my PA scope, the same one you have linked. It rocks, its perfect. I question the mount i have it in, but it works for me so far.

The red dot is solely for finding the center in the dark, and its 100% unneeded in sunlight.

Fun fact: The millet scope and this one are identical with the exception of the doughnut.

Edit: the burris appears identical without the electronics. Probably lighter too. But the PA scope is really decent glass.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

You are the god drat indiana jones of guns. Please tell me when you grabbed the gun a large boulder chased you?

It seems worth it to offer my services on various farms in the area, and search the corners of their barn in my spare time, i could make a killing.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

What is a good OWB holster for a glock 19 that I can get for under 50 bucks? It's winter and now that I'll be wearing 20 jackets all the time I may as well be comfy, too.

Blackhawk Serpa

I use it for my G19 in IDPA and as my go to OWB holster for 3 guns. adjustable for various belt sizes, comes with belt and paddle options, offers adjustable cant, and has active, adjustable retention . Ignore that price as they actually sell for much less

But to be honest i have (yet?) to wear it as an everyday OWB but under something holster, so others might offer better insight if its problematic in that role. i can't think of any reason why it would be though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Before i do...

.. drat

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I did add the disclaimer that I never used it for actual carry, but using it with my G19 in both 3 gun and IDPA, i have no problems at all with the button press + draw.

I just practice practice practice, and keep everything clean. More so because i am paranoid about getting my shirt or something bunched up in my holster and potentially getting in the trigger guard when i reholster.

The button press is adjustable too, it can go very light. My first time using it I went from hands up to draw + 6 shots in 4 sec, so its not impossible to use.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

my google-fu is just really lovely today, and I can't find a handy calculator for what i want (just static charts)

for .223 (wolf specifically) out of a 16" barrel. For a 100 yard zero, what is the +/- for 25 yards and 50 yards?

I see that I am +2" @ 200, but there is a lack of info about close in shooting, unless i do a 50 yard / 200 yard zero. But then I still don't know what 15-25 yards would look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sivlan posted:

Help me TFR!

Was doing my AR build last night, put my stock onto my buffer extension tube, it was a little tight so I locked it into a vise and shoved it on. Only upon completion of that task did I realize I forgot to put in the buffer retainer spring and plunger.

Unfortunately something I did must have locked in the extension tube into the lower receiver incredibly tightly because now I can't unscrew the drat thing. Anyone have this happen before have some advice? Was thinking of picking up a strap wrench and having a go with that, but I dunno, its in REALLY tightly.

Did you mix up commercial and milspec tubes and stocks? They should not be that difficult to put on. It should also screw on pretty easily since the castle nut is what holds it to the lower securely.