Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

iyaayas01 posted:

Call signs. All military aviators have them, and depending on the environment (usually informal, like either flying or, more commonly, hanging out at the club after work) they'll have their "call sign" patch on the front of the flight suit instead of the one with their real name/rank.

Some of them get real rude too. When I was in the navy, my branch officer's call sign was 'Spooge'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Catdonkey posted:

Getting my first gun soon, so I will have to buy ammo for it (9mm). Can anyone give me the quick rundown on the different ammo brands/manufacturers? Info on both target and defense ammo would be great.

Why 9mm, out of curiosity? Why not a .22?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FalconGuy016 posted:

Is anyone else getting really pissed off at the weather? Like its been hot every loving day for loving weeks all day, until maybe midnight or so when it gets down to WOW 80 degrees or so. Its a 105 degrees right now. I don't have loving A/C in my car. I technically live in the "south" but never, ever has it ever been like this. If it's gonna be this hot once or twice a week, or god forbid an entire week, it is at LEAST always cool at night.

Also my car is overheating because my intake manifold is likely leaking water in the oil and vice versa. The high heat makes my heater core ridiculously hot so in addition to 100 degree weather and direct sunlight through my moon roof that cannot be closed, I have 200 degree heat trickling in my vents constantly.

So my real question is, what is the best way to mount a shotgun in my car for when I finally can't take it anymore? It needs to be in a quick access location so I don't have time for doubts.

I'm assuming that you want to put the car out of its misery; in that case something like a .44 magnum with a heavy bullet, strategically placed under the seat, would probably do the job if it penetrated the firewall and the block or some other vital part of the engine. Ear and eye protection would be suggested, as is footwear for running the gently caress away after you do the job.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm not sure if I can buy anything, but what are your thoughts on these, esp. #32, #33 and #35? A guy at my gun club is selling these from various estates.
3 - Remington 16 ga Mod 11 Sportsman Auto, 26” Brl w/Cutts $150
5A - REMINGTON 40XBR, 2 oz Trigger, Hart Brl, .244Rem $700
5B – Remington 40XBR, 2 oz Trigger, Hart Brl, .308 x 40 Ackley, No Bolt! $500
(any 40X .473” bolt gives proper headspace)
6 - RUGER “Old Bearcat” .22; Early Q-Serial No.; BEAUTIFUL $425
10 - SMITH & WESSON Model of 1905-4th Change, 5”, .38
(90% Condition, Appraises at $1050) $900 (!!!)
14 - Rem/UMC .22 Special Rimfire Pump; Folding Tang Sight
(Pedersen’s Patent 1912, Octagonal Brl; Beautiful Re- blue)$300
15 - FRANCHI Model 48 Semi-Auto 20 Ga/26” IC, VR, Unfired $450
22 - Winchester Mod 75 .22LR Target, U.S. Military $425
31 - .50 Caplock Ky. Long Rifle, 35” Oct Brl (Pedersoli/Navy Arms) $300
32 – AR15, Colt SP-1, Original Vietnam era M-16 Type Sporter $850
33 – Schmidt Rubin 7.5mm Swiss, Model 1911 Rifle, Original $250
34 – J.C.Higgins Model 45 Lever, .35 Rem, New, In Box (Winchester Mfg.) $300
35 – High Standard Supermatic Citation .22, Brl Weights, Muzzle Brake $850
(Fine target pistol, original box, excellent condition, appraises at $950)
36 – Enfield SMLE .303 Sporter, blued, needs sights, (a project rifle?) $150
37 – Winchester Super X Model 1 Skeet 12 Ga, 26” Unfired, Original Papers $675
38 – Beretta BL3 20 ga O/U Skeet, 26” $450
39 – Browning Belgium Lightning 20ga O/U Skeet, 26”, Short Tang $1500
(1967, No bluing salt problem)
40 – Walther PPK .380ACP, US Made, Interarms, Stainless $300

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bunnielab posted:

If it is the same guy he has been selling that estate off for like 3-4 years. There were some amazing deals at first but now it is down to some pretty specialized stuff.

Gary B is selling these, I got my Remington 540XR from him.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

I'm a big fan of recommending the GP100s or L-Frames for a home defense pistol because they have plenty of grip options (one of which should fit just about any hands). They are big enough to absorb .357 recoil nicely, or .38 if need be. They are also easy to practice with for extended periods of time (using something like a .38 wadcutter). And of course, as a gun that is sitting in a quick access safe or a drawer, size isn't a consideration (as it is with a carry gun).

They may only hold 6 bullets, but really, if you need more then 6 in a home defense situation and you can't reload with a speed loader, odds are no gun would have saved you.

Anyway, buy right and buy once. Make sure your wife is comfortable with the gun, and with shooting the gun before you buy it. A home defense gun is useless if the person who is supposed to use it to defend themselves is more afraid of the gun then they are of the intruder.

I just wanted to add that Smith and Wesson have a very nice Model 627 in stainless that has 8 rounds instead of 6, it's built on an N-frame and weighs in at 42 ounces, which nicely tames .38 and .357 magnum.
ed: here's a description
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/ProductPR/Model%20627.pdf

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 8, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Information on snapping turtles, including how to make soup from them. I've had it a long time ago, it was an interesting taste. My uncle told me that whenever his parents saw a snapper on their farm, it was caught, killed, cleaned and made into soup.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=sutton_keith&page=g_col_Sutton_turtle-recipes

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

infrared35 posted:

drat. Any idea what the MSRP on that is? And it's too bad it doesn't have just a hair longer barrel - if it was 4.5 inches I could take it to Canada and shoot IPSC with it. I could totally dominate revolver class.

Of course, I'd be the only one shooting a revolver. :smug::hf::rolleyes:

Edit: Well, they do make a 5" Performance Center 627, but MSRP is like $1400. :(

I got my 627 in April during a sale at an LGS, I seem to recall that it was in the $800's region. Later I saw one at Bud's and it was slightly cheaper, (the price has come down, they're $805 at Buds this am) so I kinda lost out a little. It was less painful than one would think since there were none in stock, so I put down 50% and paid the rest a couple of paydays later.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/52370

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 9, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hmm, some interesting info on hydrostatic shock:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21502666/Scientific-Evidence-for-%E2%80%9CHydrostatic-Shock%E2%80%9D

http://rkba.org/research/fackler/wrong.html

Also, some interesting stuff on terminal ballistics:
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

I'm still looking through it all.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Question on .22 rifles: My club is having some CMP-type sporter competitions, and the rifle has to meet weight limits and should be magazine fed for speed. I have an elderly 1950's era Savage Model 87A semi auto, but it has only open sights and I think that there is no provision for a sling. Should I take it to a gunsmith and get it modified for a 4x or 6x scope and a sling, or should I just go and look at a semi-auto or bolt operated, magazine fed .22? If 'no' to the gunsmith mods, any ideas on a good quality .22 rifle, perhaps a CZ or other brand?
ed: Sorry, it's a Stevens Model 87A

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 4, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wa11y posted:

You know it's hiking season when bear poo poo has jingle bells in it and smells of pepper spray.

A man walks into a gun shop, and asks for a .44 Magnum to hunt bears with. The gun shop owner hands him a beautiful long-barreled .44 Magnum revolver and says, "I'll even do you a deal. Buy that handgun for bear hunting today, and I'll have our in-house gunsmith mill off the front sight for you free."
The man replies, "Is that so it'll come out of my holster quicker, and point smoother?"
The shop owner replies, "Nah, it's so when the bear shoves it up your rear end, it won't hurt so bad."

Ted is out hunting bear, and gets a nice shot on a decent sized black bear. After shooting it, as he's checking out his trophy, a larger brown bear comes up behind him and says, "That bear you just shot was my cousin. Now you got a choice: I can kill you right now, or I can gently caress you and let you live." Ted knows that where there's life there's hope, so he lets the bear gently caress him.
A few months later, after he's out of recovery, he decides he's going to get revenge on the brown bear that buggered him, and sure enough, after a few days of tracking, he finds the bear, and kills it.
As he's admiring his work, an even larger grizzly bear comes up behind him and says, "That bear you just shot was my son. Now you got a choice: I can kill you right now, or I can gently caress you and let you live." Ted still figures it's better than death, so he let's the bear do his deed.
Again, after getting out of recovery, his mind is filled with nothing but thoughts of revenge for the outrage perpetrated against him. He stalks and kills the large griz, and as he's recovering his take, he hears a large Kodiak bear behind him say, "Mister, you're not out here for hunting, are you?"

Reminds me of a cheesy new superhero that appeared on Channel101 a while ago:
Violated-by-Bears Man.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Perhaps a wet-moppable, light-colored floor so you can easily clean up any errant powder, residues, etc. Oh yeah, maybe a static-dissipative mat so you don't arc and spark in the winter.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yeah, I thought of the light color because I just went through a basic metallic cartridge reloading course, and we had poo poo fall on the floor that was nearly impossible to find.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Did you go buy a lottery ticket?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Has anyone had any dealings with Georgia Arms for ammunition? Heard anything of it? They have bulk 10mm for about 0.39/round in bulk and I might hit it up.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dragonman's Military Museum in Colorado Springs, CO: Any of you Colorado goons ever been there or heard of it?
http://dragonmans.com/museum/index.htm
He claims to have 30,000 square feet of militaria that he runs as a private museum.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

thermobollocks posted:

Along the lines of this question, if I wanted to shoot clays with #7/#8 birdshot, what would be the maximum range the shot would fall?

Along with the above from ShaiHulud:
"Journee's Formula states that the approximate range (in yards) of shot fired in a standard shot load from a full choke gun is equal to 2200 multiplied by the shot diameter in inches. As an example, the approximate range of #7 shot is 2200 x 0.1 = 220 yards. This formula is said to also work for full calibre round balls from non-rifled barrels."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Question on a revolver: I just went and filled out the paperwork for the S&W Model 10 .38 Special revolver that I bought from J&G Sales. Since it's apparently a police turn-in, should I go ahead and have a gunsmith look it over before I fire it? From a quick glance / handling, it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thanks for the info, guys.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ZebraBlade posted:

A old Tasco Propoint has come into my possession for free, and I am unable to figure out what kind of battery it uses. The newer ones use 2032's but this one does not. The battery chamber is about the dame diameter as a AAA and is maybe 1/3" tall. Tasco does not list a contact email or phone number, just a physical address. Any Ideas?

It is a PDP2 and I found this Battery, I am unable to determine the actual name or what kind of battery, just their brand of it.

You can search under the description "3V 160mAh LIT 1/3N CARD LITHIUM" and up come several batteries.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Does anyone have any experience with - or thoughts on - the Ultradot Pan AV or its kin from Ultradot?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Comedy Jew posted:

I am your typical liberal minded new york jew with a serious problem...I love guns, I have always thought they were so cool. I love the mechanistic quality of the process of firing a bullet. I love the smell that bullets leave behind. I just think guns are all around bad rear end. This is a problem for two reasons: first, I don't have any close friends who own guns, or can help me learn about them. Second my family wouldn't understand my choice to own a firearm. In fact one of my ex-girlfriends told me she could never marry a man who owned a gun.

Getting to the point. How does someone in my relatively isolated position learn about guns (how to shoot, clean, talk about, etc.)? Obviously, wikipedia has a plethora of information, but it is a bit too much to dive into. I need a place to start. Any advice?

NRA.org has a bunch of basic pistol/rifle/shotgun/reloading classes that come recommended for someone who wants to learn the basics of firearms and safety.
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Propagandalf posted:

I'd feel like an rear end. Also my first gun is pretty awesome.

Seconding this sentiment.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Pffft, everyone knows its not true love unless she NDs into your TV :colbert:

Especially if the TV is showing Dancing with the Stars.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DeesGrandpa posted:

It was taken off a KGB defender of stalingrad by my SS grandpa as the man tried frantically to remove a poorly made round from the rifle with his cleaning rod.

Like that?

This is awesome. I bet that there are people that would believe the story and buy the Mosin in a moment.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I guess it would depend on how much you want to help and how close a friend he is. Adding the grips in would bring the extras to $465, those + the Model 625 at $700 brings it up close to $1200. I doubt you'd get your money back any time soon, but it might be a nice gun to have. You could offer less, but it could suck to gouge a friend when they need help. BTW, Impact Guns wants about $835 for one.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

smax posted:

I was thinking that a Marlin lever in .32 S&W/.32 S&W Long/.32 H&R Mag/.327 Federal Mag would be awesome. It would probably bring back the .32 S&W Long in a way too, I don't see too much ammo out there at all right now.

I have an ancient S&W .32 long cartridge revolver that I still shoot, I just bought 4 boxes of ammo from Bass Pro when I was at their store a couple of months ago.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cyrano: As someone doing a degree in military history, have you ever heard of tours of wartime tunnels / bunkers under Berlin? I just happened to read about this in the Washington Post and followed it up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/17/AR2010121703006.html
http://europeforvisitors.com/berlin/articles/underground-berlin.htm
http://europeforvisitors.com/berlin/articles/underground-berlin-tours.htm

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Batts posted:

I've actually seen this ammo before. I can confirm that its a shortened .38 special, and a friend of mine would use it to make his tiny .38 a little more bearable for range use. You should be fine to use it, and imo for a new shooter it would actually be great to use out of a larger revolver to get used to the feel.

ed: Sorry, my mistake.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 24, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bananana posted:

Gonna make me cry, barking. :(

I'm being dragged to a party by my gf an- oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, ...by my GIRLFRIEND (thats what were supposed to do on SA, right?) any way, I'm being dragged to some stuffy-assed sorority ball bullshit, and I won't be around to say it later.

Question for the question thread: how do I spike punch at Balls and whatnot?

Throw in a handful of roofies when you walk in, have yourself a rapefest later.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I like turtles posted:

Dan Wesson model 15 in .357 with 2", 4", 6" and 8" barrels, two grips, twobarrel tools, very well taken care of 95-100% bluing, $850+tax with some wiggle room mentioned as a possibility.

Am I an idiot for not getting this? It wouldn't put me in dire financial straits or anything, but would rather not spend that kinda money right now.

I think that its a fairly good price, I paid a little more than that for mine, go for it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ozmiander posted:

ELEVEN months until I can get into a mandatory pistol safety class. Any suggestions on what to do until then to make the rest of the process of getting my permit go smoothly? I'm in saratoga county NY if it matters.

Is there only one course, given only in one place? Or can you take an NRA course in its place?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Chantilly Say posted:

Someone else may correct me here, but it's my understanding that the common conception of 'ballistic fingerprinting' is based on a misunderstanding--a forensic scientist can match a fired bullet to a model of gun but not a specific firearm. That is, all bullets fired from Glock 19s are going to appear identical (assuming they're intact) but you could tell the difference between a bullet fired from a Glock 19 and one fired from a Beretta 92 or a Browning Hi-Power. So even if the ATF (or some other agency :tinfoil:) did take possession of a bullet from each gun in the US (and presumably store them all in a warehouse filled with floor-to-ceiling filing cabinets) it wouldn't actually give them any useful information.

A little info on ballistic fingerprinting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_fingerprinting

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You talking Bawlmer or what? For just state of Maryland overall, SB 43 is the one you want and it's pretty clearly written. Supposedly it's not totally impossible to get stuff on the restricted list anymore, it's just a big pain in the rear end.

Yeah, in Maryland when you buy a regulated firearm like a handgun, you have to make sure it is on the approved handgun list. If you want to buy an assault rifle, you have to make sure it's not on the banned list. For both you have to fill out an "Authorization for Release of Information to Purchase a Regulated Firearm" form. More info can be found here: http://msp.maryland.gov/downloads/downloads_intro.asp
and the handgun list is here: http://msp.maryland.gov/
click on Firearms/Permits/Licensing, then click on Handgun roster and start searching.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

infrared35 posted:

Apropos of nothing, could I get a quick and dirty summary of Georgia's gun laws?

Like this?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NosmoKing, have you ever used Gamo PBA Raptor .177 pellets? I saw some today, they claimed a 25% increase in velocity. Any thoughts on this. Not that I really need them, I'm just curious.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Seconding this. What are your interests and where are you staying (downtown, suburbs, near a Metro station, etc)?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You realize they paint over the bathroom graffiti pretty regularly right

:drat:

Anyway, question time. I just got an FNH FNP-45 tactical (thanks, G43, you're the man!) and have just enjoyed shooting it for the first time today. Unfortunately, the sighting in the horizontal plane is off by several inches to the right. Should I try to drift it over gently with a small hammer and a plastic or wooden dowel, or is this something that I should send back to the factory for readjustment?

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 23, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wouldn't. After the Great Rossian Reformation, that book will be like an original copy of the New Testament.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

infrared35 posted:

Okay. Same fudd shop has a like new in box S&W Model 41 with 5.5" barrel, original case, manual, and two mags, all for $775 out the door.

I could sell my Ruger MkII Government Target Model with Volquartsen trigger to pay for almost half of it. :shobon:
It would depend on how you feel about the MkII, it seems like an accurate and handsome pistol.