Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

infrared35 posted:

Why do OH-58s keep buzzing my house? :tinfoil:

Because you live in a hangar, I advise you move to a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

I went through a class with a captain, callsign "KUNT". F-16 driver, he dumped fuel pods on landing after two successive training missions. It wasn't his fault, the mounting points were corroded or something mechanical, but now he's known as Keeps Unloading New Tanks.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

ohhhlethal posted:

Why does the Px4 never get any love? I think that gun is cool as hell

I fondled one, it was OK. If i wanted a Beretta spacegun I'd get a Neos or a 90-Two.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Otto Skorzeny posted:

start a 37mm fun thread?

Yes, do this. I'm interested in learning more.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Comfy sponk posted:

They seem like good little .308s though.

A pocket .308 would be godly. :haw:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Presumably the same one as fireballs.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Phrost posted:

Someone want to explain to me why Sigs are good firearms? I'm sure they're decent, but the ones I've seen (haven't fondled one yet) look heavy and seem to have a low ammo capacity.

Is there any reason for buying one over a Glock, beyond aesthetics/personal choice/brand loyalty/novelty?

I find Glocks uncomfortable to use, I don't care for the grip angle, and the Gen4 stippling means I have to use gloves since it tears up my delicate flower hands.

Unless you're in a heavily regulated place, Sigs have fantastic magazine capacity, and the weight translates into more pleasant shooting.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Should I be indignant or honored that people keep confusing my 556 for a SCAR?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Why do you keep your cereal in the fridge? :confused:

Frosted Flakes :downsrim:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Atticus_1354 posted:

What companies besides AAC make quick detach suppressors with matching flash hiders? I am looking for something in .308 so I can use it on my AR and bolt gun.

http://www.yhm.net/store/phantom762.html

YHM Phantom, too.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Daskrolator got a Wolf case stuck in his Galil at the Midwest shoot, after clearing it I traded him some bulk Wal Mart Federal brass cased (~$35/200rds) and the Galil ran fine for the rest of the shoot.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

joehonkie posted:

Someone recommend me some solid shooting glasses now that I have Lasik and don't need big cheap ugly things that fit over my old glasses.

How much do you want to spend? You can choose from $10 home depot safety glasses all the way up to $200 Wiley-X or Oakleys.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Senor P. posted:

There was a thread not to long ago by a guy who bought a training model of a handgun specific for dry firing. I think it was made to resemble a glock 17 or 19. I think it also had a some kind of laser or some kind of system for tracking your shot placement. (Instead of just doing normal dry firing with a snap cap.) It totaled around 500-600 dollars.

Anyone know have a link to the thread or the particular manufacturer of the model he was using?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320615

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Dan Wesson .22 for $450, worth it or not? 6 shots, blued, wood grips, half lug. I feel the urge to start a .22 revolver collection. It definitely isn't as nice as the 617, but I like the feel.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Cheap Bourbon posted:

IMO no.

Dan Wesson doesnt enjoy the price premium that the S&W or Colts get.

For what its worth

I balked on a Dan Wesson set (.357 Mag) with 4/6/8 Barrel set @ $f400 (96%+ finish) 1 year ago. Original boxes, etc etc. I'm not trying to steer you away, but I think for the price and lack of BBL combos, there might be better deals out there.

FWIW, I've seen model 17's (not pre-17's or special models) in the S&W go for similar prices. If the price is right for you, by all means, grab it. If this were me, I'd still be shopping. Its not a _bad_ price, but I feel that you could do better. If they had multiple barrels and cylinders with the deal, my attitude could change.

Re-reading this as my pig smokes (drat the TFR derail about home-smoked bacon), gently caress no, $450 is out of the ballpark. That poo poo better be in shrink-wrap and have the full set of accessories for that price.

Word, thanks. Doesn't even come with a box, but it has hi-vis sights. Gunbroker wasn't terribly helpful, but I forgot to search a few months back before I asked the question.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

infrared35 posted:

Bingo.

Don't a lot of these weapons contracts also specify turn-ins at the end so the manufacturers can get away with refurbing and reselling the old ones while simultaneously denying further contract maintenance service? All while trying to sell the next gen thing?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20100818/rcmp-firearms-chief-100818/

The RCMP replaces Canada's top Firearms dude (a firearms registry supporter) as their parliament is debating scrapping the firearms registry.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

iyaayas01 posted:

Two questions -

First, I'm looking for a (relatively) cheap bare bones 1911 for carry purposes. Basically a standard 1911 with the usual basic refinements for carry (low profile Novak-esque sights, beavertail, commander hammer, beveled/flared ejection port, etc.) I don't need a super tactical slide serrations, frontstrap/backstrap checkering, extended ambidextrous controls, light rail behemoth (I've already got my Kimber, thank you very much :smug:). I'm probably looking for something in the $400-600 range. Is RIA's stuff any good? I would like to carry it, so reliability is kind of important...I'm not requiring GLOCK PERFECTION, but something that chokes every 50 rounds isn't exactly going to work either.

Second, turns out my transfer dealer is also a SOT Class III dealer. He has some SBS 14'' 870s for sale. I am interested in picking up one of them, for a variety of reasons. However, I am also Active Duty Air Force, and will unfortunately be leaving Alaska in a few short years. My job is such that the chances of me getting assigned to a gun unfriendly state (Massachusetts, California, Hawaii, and Illinois seem to be the big NFA unfriendly ones with Air Force Bases in them) are pretty slim, although I have found some contradictory data about NFA items in Missouri and Louisiana...anyone know about the law of those states regarding NFA items? (I could possibly get assigned to bases in those states). Anyway, my real question is that, assuming there are no prohibitions on the item at the state level, how much of an asspain is it to transfer NFA items (specifically SBSs, SBRs, and suppressors...I know think the rules are slightly different for machine guns, and I don't really care about AOWs or DDs) from one state to another as part of a permanent move? I know there's a form you have to fill out and submit to the ATF, kind of like moving with a C&R license, but is there anything else that goes along with it?

Edit: There's also a pretty good chance I will have to spend at least a year (if not more) assigned overseas (yay remote tours to Korea!) I assume that leaving NFA items with a trusted friend/relative for safekeeping like I'd probably do with my "normal" guns is probably a no go, but what about locking them up in a storage facility? I assume the ATF would be cool with this as long as no one else has access to them? Or are they a little more stringent about this stuff? (As above, mainly talking about SBRs/SBSs and suppressors, not machine guns or anything else.)

Dealing with firearms is part of your PCS process. Go talk to your Relocations/TMO people, they may even be able to provide proper storage when the time comes.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Captain Log posted:

I've been thinking of something for a little while. A lot of us bitch about being fat and needing to drop some pounds. I know I could slim down. Would TFR participate in some kind of watch and weight TFR edition?

You can't drop those tangos if your winded. :)

I won't toxx myself, but I'll participate. I could stand to lose a few % body fat.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

abortionfailure posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that I come to this forum to read and occasionally discuss firearms. When I want to discuss weight loss, I hit up the forum thats actually there for that.

Those forums suck. :colbert:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

My Google-fu is weak. Does anyone aside from Safariland make an OWB holster for a USP 9 full size with TLR-1? Synthetic material, lower mount, and some sort of retention would be ideal. I'd like to use it for park/range carry. A more generic, less fitted holster like a Bianchi T6505 also has some appeal, as I can pack it away a little better. I really know gently caress all about holsters, but I don't want it for concealed carry.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

infrared35 posted:

Which, by the way, means it's almost a hundred dollars.

This is a selling point, the Safariland is $150 (but it's also a drop leg).

Do you think the Raven would stay in place when transitioning to prone and back to standing over and over, or in light brush? And would you think you felt comfortable enough wearing it for a hike of 2-5 miles? The nearest acceptable shooting 'range' for rifles is an unattended Wildlife Management Area. I have to pack everything in and out, so I'm almost considering this to be camping gear rather than tactigear.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

FalconGuy016 posted:

If you knew society was going to collapse and had one choice in one semi auto handgun, what would it be? Gotta assume maintenance will be mediocre at best and there will be no spare parts probably. What would you choose?! All guns will fail eventually but which ones do you think will last the longest?

Mosin pistol.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

In the same vein as the Physical Fitness thread, is there any interest in a "Then/Now/Want to Achieve" thread for actual shooting training goals? Be it sheer range time, accuracy, flinch reduction, shooting speed, reload time, draw time, whatever?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

_firehawk posted:

This has probably been covered, but when did Walmart start to stock Ammo again? I just bought 10 boxes of federal 9mm @ $9.47 and 5 boxes of .40sw @ $13.97. I would have bought more but that was all they had on the shelf. So Once again Walmart shelves are empty. Or are they? It occurred to me they may try to keep the ammo looking empty in order to sell more of it. I am sure some kid just partially restocked the shelves waiting for the next fud to walk though.

So Does Walmart really have ammo all over the country now? Or was I the victim of an elaborate trap?

I've only had a Wal Mart not have what I want once in the last 3 months. Fortunately, all I want is 9mm and .45. My local one hasn't had much in the way of .380 or .40, though Cabelas is just a bit further up the road.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

DELETED posted:

Also, dry fire like crazy in the mean time. Focus on keeping your front sight steady when you pull the trigger, it will be a lot easier if there isn't an explosion every time you do.

I hear this over and over, but it didn't help me one bit. All that happened is I no longer have a flinch when I dry fire. Mixed dummy and live rounds were far more effective. Take 2 live rounds for 1 dummy, shuffle them up in your hand and load by feel. Wear a glove if you can feel the difference between fake and real (:quagmire:). I noticed improvements over the course of a single box of ammo.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

How much parts commonality does the 15-22 have with a vanilla AR-15? If I was to go Magpul fanboy on a 15-22, would everything fit?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Give me Flibbity posted:

I recently got a new shotgun, and I'd like to do something gimmicky with my beat up old Maverick 88. I figured a goofy paint job would be fun, so I need TFR to help me decide: metallic gold and purple tiger stripe or red white and blue?
If there's anything else cool I can do with an old shottie that I don't mind destroying, let me know.

Gold and purple. With Bedazzler'd pistol grip.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

LavistaSays posted:

While this briefing is going on, I have an airsoft M4, or i'll pull the BCG from one of my AR's and hand it to the person so that they can play with it and make any glaring safety errors in the comfort of my own home, so they arent a TOTAL idiot when you uncase the gun at the rifle line.

Seconding this. Show them the gun they are going to be using while teaching them the rules. I use snap caps to show them how the thing works and how to load the magazine or cylinder, then have them work the action a few times and learn how to make it safe when they're done shooting. Do what you can to remove the mystery or fear, de-complicate all those funny buttons and levers and you make them more confident before they've ever fired a shot.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Gtab posted:

The recoil reducer thing isn't anywhere neeeear as magical as they claim it is

Word. Don't the Russians use the same recoil-block-design thing in the Skorpion? It's not exactly a new technology.

It's like the Unmentionable, the G11, Five-Seven, or Jackhammer- as if they invented it JUST so it could work its way into video games.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

What image host do you lot use for selling on gunbroker? Sigh, maybe I should press 'next' a few times first...

Propagandalf fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 6, 2010

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

ZebraBlade posted:

Will SOG sell guns to a non-FFL and ship it to one? Or are they just FFL to FFL buisness? Because I want one of those USP's

No, FFL to FFL only. I bought one of those USPs. I showed the link to my usual transfer FFL guy, he placed the order, and I paid him instead of SOG. It was actually easier than ordering straight from SOG.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

https://www.gun-deals.com

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

My right eye must be waaay dominant. If I try to use both eyes, then close my left eye my vision doesn't shift at all. Since my vision in my right eye is better than my left anyways, I shoot like a pirate. :yarr:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

How does the scaling math work on doubling up hearing protection? Muffs @26 NRR + plugs @32 NRR = 58 NRR, or do you reach some arbitrary diminishing returns at some point and only get an extra 13 NRR from the muffs?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...Y_SEQ_104800680

Is this one of the H&K branded GSG-5s? Colt? What?

WHO MAKES THIS GUN? I know it's not a Colt, even the reviews are for the Colt M4 .22 thing

But really, is this a GSG-5? I'm gonna drop money on a 15-22 or one of these if its not a GSG.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

"Made in Germany" :argh:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Eat This Glob posted:

Nice. It didn't have a lacquer issue, but it's crazy cheap and steel. I'm hoping I don't gently caress up his rifle tomorrow.

I put 200rds of Tula through my Sig 556 that choked after 20 rounds of Wolf. No issues.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

buy a pack of snap caps, problem solved. They are ridiculously expensive compared to normal .22 bullets, but not as bad as needing to get a gunsmith to work on your gun.

Snap Cap brand .22 isn't for dry firing. Says so right on the box. Its for safe handling and action proving only, the rims get tore up something awful if you dry fire with them. You might get 5 or 6 dry fires out of each cap before the rim becomes totally deformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Oops, I should say that's A-Zoom brand. A-Zoom makes Snap Caps, but they aren't labeled 'Snap Caps', just 'A-Zoom Action Proving Dummy".