Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

widefault posted:

Reposted from the end of the last thread.

2.) Where in the US might a man be able to take his dad to fire an M79 grenade launcher? My dad carried one in Vietnam, and to this day one of his big wants is to fire one again. He'd be happy with chalk rounds, he just wants to fire one again. I'm trying to convince him to spend some of my inheritance on an actual M79, but no luck with that. Yet.

Gtab, Pacific Rim Job, Highmeh, and myself went to an indoor range in Vegas that I can't remember the name of. They had an M79 there you could rent and pay per shot. Gtab shot a beehive round out of it.

You could also go down to Louisville, KY and hit the Knob Creek range at one of their machine gun shoots. I'm sure someone there would have one to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

So...without being a petulant little "me me me" bitch, does everyone seriously not care about my "Grandfather has a Winchester 62A and 97 and Stevens 5100 among other cool guns" post? I mean, if so, I'll just lurk back to the shadows, but it seemed like that post got buried, especially since no one answered my spotting scope question.

Also, spotting scopes: which ones are good/what should I look for/etc.?

Are you really doing this?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Never had a beef with the 870 pump release, considering it's ambi and takes less than a second to depress.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Two quick questions:

I want a Surefire V70 holster to attach to a MOLLE rig, like so:

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

The problem is that the rear loop is solid plastic.

How the gently caress did they manage to get it to go through the PALS webbing?

Will 7.62 Magpuls fit x39 AK mags? Someone on another forum said the 5.56 version does. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing before I drop the money.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

You cut it like a repair fastex (on an angle) or you ziptie it.

And no. They fit M14 and FAL mags. They sure dont fit VZ mags which are pretty close to identical to AK mags in terms of dimensions.

5.56 SHOULD stretch No promises. Worst case, you make ghetto pulls with zipties, paracord, and 100MPH tape

Zipties are the only way I can see it working. I just can't wrap my tiny little brain around how I could cut it to loop through webbing.

Someone talked about boiling the Magpuls for like a minute before stretching them over the AK mags. I'll truck over to the next gun show and see if anyone is selling them individually before I invest in like 8 of them.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

Like so. I'd personally prefer zipties but some people who buy gear to basically cosplay in are averse to them so I figured I'd mention the repair cut method.

This cutting method is also how you get fastex replacements etc on stuff without unstitching.

Okay, I can see how that might work. Cut it like that, bend the plastic over the webbing, then wrap the cut in tape or something so it won't be loose.

I have no beef with zip ties, in fact, I use them in favor of Malice clips or anything like that because I'm cheap as gently caress and they hold things on pretty securely. I tighten them down and use toenail clippers to trim the excess down to the locking tab.

blackknight5k posted:

I just got a G19 and while practicing reloads I noticed that my short fat thumb has a hell of a time hitting the mag release...is the mag release extension worth the money? and is it allowed in competitions?

On that note are there any must have modifications for the g19 you can recommend?

Shifting your hand to hit the magazine release is perfectly okay. I'd recommend training yourself to do that before going out and buying a new magazine release. If you were to get a new mag release, I'd say get the Vickers one.

The only thing a factory Glock needs is new sights.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Catdonkey posted:

Any brands to avoid?

Magtech, Remington UMC, and any reloaded ammo that you didn't make

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

No one would ever tell you to not use the gun anymore because of a failure to feed.

What I will tell you to do is not worry about it unless it starts happening more often.

One failure in 2000 rounds is absolutely nothing to worry about.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Bobcats posted:

That was hyperbole. But it was seriously my first centerfire stoppage and took a while to figure out how to clear(yank mag, yank mag again, realize slide should be locked, yank mag, yank mag again, yank mag HARD, clear!).

Smack the bottom of the magazine, tilt the ejection port toward the ground, rack the slide, acquire another sight picture, pull the trigger.

Did it fire? No?

Lock the slide back, rip the magazine from the gun, tilt the ejection port toward the ground and rack the slide 3 times. Insert a new magazine firmly, rack the slide, acquire another sight picture, pull the trigger.

Do you carry the Sig? If so, it's ridiculous that you don't know how to clear a malfunction. You're betting your life on something you don't know how to use.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Bobcats posted:

I went into "oh hey what happened" mode right after tap, rack, click.

There's an occasional hangs-on-ramp stoppage on my Mk3 that clears with a mag drop and a slide cycle. I now know this clearing technique doesn't work on the P239 and I should slide lock first on the Mk3 for consistency's sake.

What was really surprising was the force required to clear the P239 compared to the Mk3.

Yeah, you have to RIP the magazine out after you lock the slide back. Don't pussyfoot around with it, you're not going to break it. Grip it as best you can and tear the fucker out of the magwell, drop it, and grab another mag.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

exceptions: some HK pistol mags, SIG rifle mags and HK rifle mags in the winter, the plastic base on XD magazines

Truth spoken right hurrrrr

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Yeah, it's cool to have and all, but unless you're a regular airsoft player or something a helmet and soft armor will just sit in a closet and never get used. You'd be better off spending the $250 on a good chest rig and pouches, if you want something like that.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I'd probably go for the Tactical Tailor one piece MAV and X-Harness combo over an Eagle rig. Their quality has supposedly dropped a bit in the past year or so.

HSGI also makes a slick small rig.

If you're looking for something with pouches built in, you might give the OSOE Micro Rig a shot. 4 AK/AR mags and a pouch for shotgun shells.

If you're looking at a rig without integral pouches, I'm going to go ahead and STRONGLY recommend these AK/AR mag pouches. They're BY FAR the best I've seen. Very solid construction so they don't sag, PALS webbing on the outside to attach pistol pouches or whatever to the front, they're lined with velcro so you can attach a tiny square to your mags to hold them in or use the built in bungee loops. They beat the poo poo out of the HSGI Tacos I had before.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

LavistaSays posted:

John willis from OSOE Stole $500 in music equipment from me in exchange for gear he never delivered, going on almost 3 years now.

Please NOBODY support this douchebag.

There is nothing he makes that the Eagle Industries equivalent product doesn't offer the same level of utility, with a lifetime warranty, by a company large enough that you will never have to worry about him deciding he doesn't feel like extending you warranty service, or even delivering your product to begin with.

Willis is a loving shithead, but he makes pretty awesome stuff. I would never advise anyone order directly from him, but go through a vendor such as tacticalresponegear.com.

I REALLY like the Mayflower stuff, but I haven't ever handled any of it, so I can't really recommend it. They make a very slick plate carrier that's reasonably priced.

Honestly, if I was dude, I might skip a chest rig entirely. You're going to have an easier time in competition if you run things on a belt. Blue Force Gear makes a belt and suspender kit that's the heat. You can place your rifle and pistol reloads on your left and your shotgun reloads toward the right front.

For holding shotgun shells, I would suggest running shell caddies rather than elastic loops. The loops are pretty slow to load from. I would rather have shells in a dump pouch than in the loops if I'm going for pure speed.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Why is there not a gear megathread where people can talk about this sort of stuff?

I know TFR hates on people who buy things they enjoy, but the questions pop up every so often, and it could be a catch all to review things like grips, stocks, scopes, etc.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

king of the bongo posted:

They don't have them and neither does anyplace else right now as they are sold out. I was hoping he knew some place else in stock.

Those are double pouches. Honestly, I'd wait for TRG to get them in stock. You could try ordering directly from Willis, but I can't really recommend it tbqh

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Squirl posted:

Ok apparently I am newbie short bus material, but how are you supposed to set up a sight picture with plain iron sights?

Is it A- bullseye directly on top of front post and centered horizontally,
or B- tip of front sight post directly in the center of the bullseye?

It depends on the particular sights. It can be one or the other.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

When I was working in a gas station, I met a guy with a Delta tattoo on his arm one day. He was a short ginger dude with black eyes. Like, no color in his eyes, they were black and white. I asked him if his tattoo was what I thought it was. He just sort of smiled and I said, 'bad rear end' and we talked about guns for 10 minutes.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

jacert posted:

Anyone check out that Larry Vickers show Tactical Arms on The sportsman channel? They just did a very intuitive and detailed assessment between submachine guns of WWII. For all I know it's been on the air for years but I just saw it and it's p good.

He had another show, Tactical Impact. I've seen clips here and there and it looks pretty good. Unfortunately, I don't get that channel on my basic cable

Pretty much anything Vickers does can be trusted, as he doesn't really put his name on things unless they're quality.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Glock 19. There are videos of an 11 year old girl wielding one effectively. Your wife can handle it.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

everyone shut up

get a glock 19

king of the bongo posted:

Everyone loves a nice trigger, single stack 1911 I have found. The cz 75b I would not recommend to someone with really tiny hands unless you make sure you buy a safety equipped one as the trigger pull in decocked DA mode can be a bit long for them unless they practice with it a lot.

email me back homie

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

thermobollocks posted:

IT'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!

Actual question:
Has anyone here flown commercially with a firearm? In checked baggage, obviously. How has it worked out for you?

It was very easy. Used a plastic case with padlocks. I walked up to the TSA counter, told them I'd like to check a firearm. They had me unlock the case, show them it was unloaded. They tagged it, took it, and I got it back when I got to my destination.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

If you know someone at your destination, you can ship the gun to yourself at their place. Just make sure they don't open it.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Burnt Out Case posted:

Where is a good place to buy spare mags for a H&K USP .45, that doesn't seem totally shady?

CDNN. They had 10 rounders for $20 last I checked.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

UberMoose posted:

I get the impression that as far as AR manufacturers go, Olympic isn't very well regarded on TFR. Any specific reason?

Poor quality parts, lack of attention to detail, poor quality control

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Aperture Priority posted:

What would have happened to the cartridge when it went off? I assume it would have split spectacularly since it was unsupported by a chamber.

Grenaded, probably.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'll be in Pennsylvania this weekend while my wife attends a baby shower. My father-in-law just sold his beloved .41 (in the TFR classifieds no less) to fund a more practical 9mm automatic.

I talked to him last night and he said he'd narrowed his choices down to a Glock 17, an M&P, and a Ruger. My impression of the TFR consensus is:

a) Can't really go wrong with a Glock.
b) The M&P isn't completely horrible.
c) Ruger automatics are poo poo molded into the shape of a gun.

Please correct me if any of these impressions are incorrect, and also, since I know he'll ask, what is wrong with Rugers? I think this is at least a little bit of "buy American" sentiment mixed with a fondness for Ruger in general. He's not blindly patriotic; he's worked as a Mercedes mechanic for most of his life and I think the Glock is still his leading candidate.

Also, any other suggestions? I'll ask him why he didn't mention Sigs. I think his criterion are full sized, large capacity, and not hideously expensive (like probably closer to $500 than $600. I'm not sure he'll be much interested in used police guns or buying online; he seems to have the "money burning through his wallet" syndrome and I think since I'm the only one in the family that gives two shits about guns, he wants to buy this weekend.

Glocks and M&Ps are pretty much equals, all things considered. I would personally edge toward a Glock, because I didn't like the odd hinged trigger on the M&P I handled. They're both fantastic handguns, though.

Rugers are tough, reliable, and decently accurate. They're uncomfortable for a lot of people, but that doesn't really have anything to do with accuracy or reliability. They're also heavy and tend to have crappy triggers, but again, nothing that would adversely effect the accuracy or reliability of the gun.

If it were me, I'd buy the Glock, the M&P would be my second choice, followed by the Ruger if he can get a smokin' deal.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Bob Morane posted:

My Remington 870 has started acting up. I used to have occasional difficulty racking it after firing, but I recently switched to cheap Federal shotshells and it now consistently locks up after each shot. When this happens, I can still work the action by using my body weight to force the bolt open. The chamber is clean and appears fairly well-polished to the naked eye. I assume the brass and plastic expands, causing the spent hulls to bind to the chamber?

I've heard that in this situation, I should try polishing the chamber to remove any residue buildup. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this something I should attempt myself or should I take it to a qualified gunsmith?

TIA

Mine started doing that this past winter with Federal Super Speed Xtra shells. The gun wouldn't lock completely up, but you'd have to muscle it open.

A few months later I bought some more of the same kind of shells, ran 150 through the gun, and didn't have the issue.

I didn't clean the gun between firings.

I think there was just a slight difference in the sizing of the shells or the plastic used or something. One batch would do it, another one wouldn't.

I guess what I'm saying is don't immediately start loving with the gun. Maybe instead of firing up the Dremel, you should buy another brand of shells.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent clay pigeon thrower for around $100? Just something simple to throw one or two for messing around on my parents property.

Not sure about this particular model, but this style tends to work pretty well for just loving around.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Schigolch posted:

I am partial to This kind (also available @ cabelas, Sports Authority and probably academy) for just screwing around. They take a little practice to get the clays to do what you want to do, but once you get it down you can sling a clay as far as the cheap mechanical ones, and also make them do different things. Does make it harder to throw for yourself, though.

You also can't do doubles, at least with the one I paid $5 for at Gander Mtn.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

I never liked any of the ones that you stick in the ground. It seems like after a few throws they break loose from their stakes and flop around on the ground. That and they don't seem to throw very fast.

I could always get more velocity and more variety with a hand thrower. I guess you're kind of stuck if you have to throw for yourself.

Anyone ever try the trailer hitch mounted kind? They look a little more heavy duty.

My family used to have one that had four legs and a plastic chair, or you could remove the chair and rear legs and mount the middle beam in a trailor hitch. It was stable, but didn't throw them any better than one of the ones you stick in the ground. It had the exact same mechanism on the end.

I STRONGLY recommend that if you buy the one I linked earlier, that you mount it to an old tire. You should be able to get one from a junkyard for a few dollars, and it helps a lot.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6039413_attach-clay-pigeon-thrower-tire.html

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Does anyone know of a basic shot timer for android phones? I have been wanting one for messing around so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Haha there was a nigga here pimping one for a long rear end time. Search back and you should find it, though it might be in the archives right now.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

you.

are.

white.

Extremely white. I went swimming a couple weeks ago and still have a huge sunburn

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Who has the best price on Glock 19 magazines right now?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Black Stormy posted:

What kind of TACTICAL knee pads should I get?

Depends on what you want to spend.

These are probably the best pair out there, but they'll be hard to find right now. They're coming out with a re-designed buckle this fall, so I'd wait on that. They're pretty expensive, but it's unlikely you'll need to buy another pair.

These are a little cheaper, you can find them in stock, and they work just about as well. They're a little bulkier, though.

These aren't terrible, but they aren't that comfortable and tend to slide around a lot. They're also half the price of the other options.

If you want dirt cheap, just go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and buy some skateboarding knee pads.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

thermobollocks posted:

How about the stuff they got in the tool aisle? Seems designed for about the same thing, minus getting shot at.

I'd rather use the skateboarding ones because they're designed for hard impacts, like quickly dropping to your knees. The tool ones are designed for maximum comfort for being on your knees a long time.

You're looking for protection, not comfort.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Well, it's not just about being hard on the extractor. It's also about cases getting stuck in AR chambers, which happens more often than it should.

I would recommend Wolf in any caliber but .223.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

walrusman posted:

gently caress

Beer signs are perfectly acceptable for mancaves and apartments for people under the age of 30.

lol okay

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

We should do a study to really find out who TFR's worst poster is.

Don't bother I'm right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Just buy some of those cheap holders from Midway or Brownells, or hell, your local gun store. They usually have them with the reloading supplies.