Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uncle Caveman posted:

If you make it down to the Washington DC area, there are literally a million TFR folks who would receive undue pleasure in letting Brits handle non-deactivated guns (over here we call them "activated guns").

Just do be sure to come clothed. Americans are a bit leery of nudity and monarchs to begin with, but a naked, British King would probably be lynched upon leaving the airport terminal. :ohdear:

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I like turtles posted:

Cyrano has summed it up as: they're an antiquated, extremely complex design that is difficult to make run properly, and they end up as expensive, or more, as war era ones. A number of folks have attempted making new productions ones, all have stopped fairly soon thereafter.

And it is a tooling issue. Getting the proper tooling setup is $ohgodywhy and the market is tiny. Basically just not worth it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

How big a sperglord am I if I angrily edited an imfdb entry today, at the cost of being late to dinner with my wife?

http://xkcd.com/386/

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

FunOne posted:

Also, is there a safe way to dispose of ammo? Should I just take the rounds to my local dealer/range next time out and let them handle it?

Down range. :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Trijicon TR21 Accupoint 1.25-4x for $475 shipped.

Go/No go?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

No one can tell you what the price of any good will be with certainty unless they're actually setting the price. My gut feeling is $59 lowers and $599 quality ARs are about as good as it gets brand new.

I agree with that. You might luck out with some cheap used parts, but for the most part this is as good as it is going to get with new stuff.

Question: I picked up a M&P 15-22 and the plastic rails hurt my dainty IT person hands. Do I need to pick up high speed magpul covers, or can I get the cheap airsoft poo poo? Bonus question: would cheap airsoft rail covers be ok on centerfire AR? Or are they going to cause my untimely death in the sandbox?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Do you read TVTropes? It's an amazing website, I often find myself clicking through it and after a seemingly short while looking out the window and wondering what happened to the sun all the sudden.

You are a bastard.

Cheap Bourbon posted:

I'll get some [b]pitchers[b/] posted on a real world example. Kids, listen to what he says, don't do that.....

Post/name combo :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Gtab posted:

Nothing.

TFRs needs an apostrophe. And the guy who bought it used one in aren't. :golfclap:

e:I think the inconsistent punctuation, spelling, and grammar are my favorite part about big angry red custom titles. Well that and the :10bux: At least The Automator's was done well.

Red Crown posted:

I'm trying to disassemble my 10/22 for cleaning and jesus loving christ something is up with my rifle. The pins holding the trigger guard and bolt assembly will NOT drift out. They are stuck in there like they've been superglued. I've thrown everything at it, punches, bullets a pen, they simply will not budge, not even a sixteenth of an inch.

Every source from the internet and the owners manual says that this should not be the case. Its just a normal 10/22 carbine with a synthetic stock, I haven't made any modifications to it and its brand new :confused:

You probably need to use some penetrating oil to get things started.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 11, 2010

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Black Stormy posted:

My house would be like that too if my fiancée would leave them the hell alone. I don't want people staring into my house as they walk/drive/fly by.

Your just paranoid because you do that when you are out for a walk/drive/fly. :colbert:

Mrs. Naramyth is the same. She likes to keep the blinds closed because shepeople is nosey. But gently caress that, I like natural light. :argh:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

I take it you don't live anywhere with Schwan's delivery service?

The Schwan man that serviced the area my parents farm is at is no longer allowed out on certain properties after he was caught banging some farmers wife. :quagmire:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

AbdominalSnowman posted:

So I have been in the market for a relatively inexpensive .22 to plink with on the weekends, since all of my hunting rifles shoot expensive calibers and the AK is so much fun that I blaze through $20 in a matter of minutes. I have had my eye on one of those goofy .22 MP5s (I think there are some other H&K designs as well) but I had a couple questions.

Am I retarded for wanting one?
Are these things actually licensed by H&K? (Gut feeling is no on this one)
Are they reliable at all? I know .22 is dirty as hell, am I going to have to take the gun apart every few mags?
Should I just buy a Ruger 10/22 and upgrade the poo poo out of it over time? This option sort of appeals to me since I like project guns that don't take years of gunsmithing experience to play with, but I also like the idea of having an MP5 that I can shoot for next to nothing since god knows I will never afford a real one.

Help me out TFR, what should I blow my money on? Comedy options are welcome, of course. I do tend to buy cheap guns on a whim just because they look cool or goofy, which is probably why I am asking these questions in the first place.

I had the same question a while back in the .22 thread.

And I got the drat M&P 15-22 because it would cost just as much to tart up a 10/22.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I like turtles posted:

System admins/software engineers rarely get paid in guns :smith:

:(:hf::(

I like turtles posted:

The fauna in the racks isn't a big problem, we just set off the halon every six months.

:golfclap:

Yeah but the cleanup is a bitch. I don't like the janitor part of computer janitor. :colbert:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I like turtles posted:

That's what the student workers are for :smug:

:tipshat:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

At one point I had a sick interest in building up a pre-A1 M16 clone that would be all retro on the exterior, but on the inside 6.8 SPC, piston driven, and whatever other kinds of modern ARFery.

That. That is a loving awesome idea. It is making me ponder.:ohdear:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

dhrusis posted:

I would be using it for long range practice, etc. Kind of like a wanna be sniper would. Also, hunting. Would prefer this thing be real accurate without being multiiple thoudands of dollars.

This does not exist at the range you want to play at. Honestly at that kind of range a bolt gun is going to be simply way more consistant. Furthermore, unless you have good(read $800+) glass ready to go a thousand dollar rifle won't be worth it anyway.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

GroovinPickle posted:

I really like these safes as something that you can relatively easily take with you when you move. You'd probably want to at least bolt it down, though, lest someone have access to a hand truck.

Alternatively I think storing the bolts and whatnot in a small, hidden, locked container would satisfy the safety concern. A personal articles insurance policy would protect you financially for pretty cheap (seems like $10k worth of camera gear cost me $60/year in premiums), and covers basically any kind of loss.

Also bunnielab mentioned using construction crew boxes that they use to store tools in on site as a good semi-mobile solution to apartment safes.

My google-fu is weak. I can't remember what they are actually called. :saddowns:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Are you kidding, it was in Modern Warfare 2. You think they just pick guns that look cool for those games?

Just like how the in-game ACOGs were all shut down by the EMP, that poo poo is science. They clearly did their research.

that was the red dots the acogs and scopes worked fine
:goonsay:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

spankmeister posted:

And the HLSD weapons from MW2 don't have a BUIS or something?

They do, you just can't fold them up. :downs:

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an ammoengine.com-type sight for shotgun ammo?

https://gun-deals.com

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I am cross dominate(lefty, right eyed). I use rifles right handed and pistols left handed. With pistols I found just using my left eye is the best solution. I tried leaning over to use my right eye, but that sucked, and I tried just shooting right handed, but it felt to foreign.

Basically I am the highest of speed, lowest of drag operator because my transition to my secondary uses a whole different sighting system. :smug:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

I've been looking to get a first gen P99 for cheap (<$400), and I found one for a great price but it has an OD frame. Just wondering if I should hold out for what I really want (black) or get this one and "convert" it, and if that's possible without compromising the integrity of the plastic or looking awful.

OD > black. :eng101:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

walrusman posted:

That was a fun couple days.

:confused: What the gently caress? Any sort of non-crazy context?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Illegal Clown posted:

That's the last one I remember seeing. There were also a couple examples where people found an old machine gun or destructive device in an attic, but the pictures were removed before I saw them.

The last one was the Japanese knee mortar IIRC.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yep, the GSG-92 is basically a toy gun that looks like a real gun

you know, just every GSG product. :v:

:golfclap:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yeah, we absolutely do special orders.

I just want to come in as a customer who has done this a couple times. I asked G43 to find a couple things, and he found them. He can't always find or beat a price, but it only will cost you an email and a bit of time. :)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Frag Viper posted:

Dear TFR,

Would any of you sell your very first gun to fund something more awesome? Or would you feel like an rear end in a top hat?

My first gun is a bitching Ducks Unlimited Ranger 120 that my dad won for me in when I was in the womb. I am never selling it.

My first gun that I bought was a Glock 17. I sold it in less then a year.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I like turtles posted:

So, death rays...
Anyone built one? Because I'm considering it. http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27_82

:smug: You scrubs still shoot guns?

Bookmarked.

And I though I was cool because I wanted to make a coil gun. :eng99:

I hate turtles.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Would you be opposed to me spending about fifty of your taxpayer dollars on one? :v:

That is cold, son.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

infrared35 posted:

That might actually work.

And... we have a real machete that's been sitting in the lost and found for about a year. :iiam:

See how responsible I am with your money? :v:

Oh we need to buy new computers for the library? Tell you what, I need a netbook for D&D, sitting on my couch, personal travel and meeting notes.

:v::respek::v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I like turtles posted:

That poo poo works so well when you're in the IT group at a major university that *isn't* in recession mode.

I got them to buy two 360s and a wii when they first came out so that we could do "game reviews" for the student newspaper.

Now I'm not getting my three year scheduled tech refresh :eng99:

We are no longer getting student tech money to refresh the labs so unless the provost gives us a chunk of cash we will have to start including our labs in the staff computer updates. That doubles the computers we have to rotate, and considering our tech budget is the same as what we were getting for student tech fees...:cry::respek::eng99:

SA>Discussion>TFR>General Questions: SH/SC Uni. IT edition; cant refresh the computers we spent it all on guns and blackjack game reviews

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

:toughguy:

IF I was the avatar buying type, that would be my next avatar with "I hate turtles." It would be meta-TFR.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Illegal Clown posted:

That is giving me some nice Black Hawk Down flashbacks.

I just watched that this afternoon. Awesome movie. And I got to really appreciate Cod4 ripping it off during the first 1/3 of the game. I mean they got the same guy for the radio chatter.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Paging NoSmoKing, NoSmoKing to the Questions thread. Airgun questions afoot!

I am looking into a spring air pistol and rifle to do some plinking in the basement once it gets cold out(and I could ask for this crap for xmas). I have that Romanian trainer that 1/2 of us bought last year, but I would like something a bit more ergonomical; and a gas powered airsoft gun, but the wife hates the smell. What do you guys use/recommend for basement plinking?

e: :lol: I was doing some :google:ing and wound up on redwolf airsoft. They have a airsoft mosin that is close to $1000. :aaa:

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 16, 2010

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

GroovinPickle posted:

Which Browning Buckmark should I buy if I want to mount a red dot sight on it? And which red dot should that be?

Get a plain one and add this unless you can get a deal that is cheaper then a plain one+$30ish.

For a red dot most of the low end Bushnell optics will work. Alternatively Primary Arms is my favorite budget optics place.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Just don't try to dry-fire with it, won't work.

Remember, you always have one in the chamber. :eng101:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

help i'm afraid i might have a counterfeit glock

how do i tell if my glock is legit? it looks like this

That is totally a glock.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

walrusman posted:

A freedom not exercised is a freedom lost, so here we go.

I fired a Desert Eagle one time. It was at a rental range, and it was chambered in .44mag. The first thing that struck me was how goddamn gigantic it was. I have large hands and the drat thing was like holding two guns at once. The ergonomics were actually pretty good; better than a Glock, come to think of it.

The recoil was significant but controllable, but the thing I remember the most was the concussive force of a .44mag being fired in a narrow little aisle at an indoor range. It made my head hurt. In two mags, it jammed twice -- IIRC, one stovepipe, one doublefeed.

If they were $400, I'd probably buy one in .357. For $800, eh, I can think of better things to do with my money.

edit: I'm fine with Desert Eagle talk being verboten here; it seems to work at keeping the video game gun experts out.

I talked my friend out of a black desert eagle in 50AE a few weeks ago. He was looking for a home defense pistol and I steered him to a 1911. :cool:

e: I did think the integral top rail was kind of neat though.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

True story: I was conceived when my mother seduced my father using pumpkin pie as the bait.

I so, so wish that was a joke.

I remember when you told that story. The Oedipus angle completely made it. :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Gtab posted:

unlike the last ten or so I dont think this one is a hate avatar; it owns so much I can only imagine it was given as a gift of love

and for this

i thank them

EDIT:
[21:09] <Micromancer> I got tired of that stupid worst poster av sorry :/

HAHAHAHA Micromancer rules.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

The reloading thread hit archives so I am going to ask here.

What would be a good initial reloading setup? I have bench space for a press.

e: nm I'm retarded and found it

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly this is the funniest avatar that Gtab's gotten so far, if only because it's the only one that is 100% guaranteed to actually piss off and offend him.

Really, the only way it could be better is if it implied he had served abroad in the Marines.

His was something about the marines during the last Gtab avatarganza. It produced a serious new thread from him.

:ninja: e: Behold!