Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Antidepressants own
also woops I need to go to my pharmacy today

Unless they all make you puke your guts out. It's pretty annoying being that guy that invariably gets the super rare side effect, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

ohhhlethal posted:

Why does the Px4 never get any love? I think that gun is cool as hell

Because limp wristed pussies can't get it to cycle right.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Aperture Priority posted:

Bogon covered the basics, but check out this handy-dandy flow chart from calguns.

Egads. Did they resurrect HP Lovecraft to write those gun laws?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

blackknight5k posted:

What's a good pistol case? I have 4 pistols now and will probably be 5 by the end of the year so I'd like it to handle at least that many. I was looking at pelican but I have no idea how that works. I'd like to be able to take it on a flight if needed.

Pelican.

They aren't cheap, but they are fantastic.

The foam insert you get has all these little perforations in it. So you can just sort of punch them out and fit a lot of guns very snugly in there with plenty of padding between them. Most gun cases have people laying them out flat, I have been packing mine in vertically. It works rather well.

I just went on a trip with mine and I had 6 revolvers and a Coonan in there.

Just think this, with guns:

Make sure to get one that is deep enough to fit your guns vertically and you can fit a lot of them in there. If you have a Fry's nearby I think they still stock them, that is where I got mine. I suggest taking a look at one.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Diseased Yak posted:

Armed Goons, a question for thee. The wife and I want to add a handgun to our small family, to be used both as something fun to shoot at a local range, and to also defend our home from external attack. The problem is, what line of pistols should I be looking at that a petite, 4'11", 95 lbs. Thai chick could reasonably handle?

This is my wife, I'm talking about, not me. Her wrists are so small that I can wrap my giant sausage-fingered hands completely them, so it need not be a hand-cannon capable of taking a wall out of my house. It needs to not have the kick of a mule, either. At the same time, I'd rather not get a .22 that a meth-fiend would shrug off as if bitten by a mosquito.

Point me in the right direction, please sirs. Thanks!

Have her shoot everything you can find. If you have a place that rents guns go there, rent as many things as you can. You very well may be surprised by what she can handle, and even what she prefers.

See if you can shoot an S&W L Frame or a Ruger GP100 with both .38 and .357. They are a good size, and the recoil with .357 isn't bad, but with .38 its almost nothing especially with rubber grips.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Diseased Yak posted:

Awesome, thanks! I wasn't aware of the bigger guns -> lower recoil thing (I realize that might not always be true). Good call on the renting range, too. I live in central Arkansas, so surely some hillbilly around here has such a range, perhaps even with live fire against captured and staked varmints.

I'll do some research, call around to a few places, then get a gun in her hands to fire, while I stand nearby, nodding sagely whilst stroking my chin, all the while thinking how sexy she looks firing a gun.

Felt recoil can be affected by a lot of things.

First off you have bullet size and velocity. A big, slow firing bullet (like .45acp) can feel similar to a small fast firing bullet (like 9mm). The amount of energy that is moving that gun in your hands is pretty much the same.

Then you have the gun itself. Revolvers are pretty easy for understanding felt recoil. If the gun is bigger, and heavier, you feel less recoil as it has more mass to be moved by the bullet. Squishy rubber grips can also absorb some of that energy.

With a semi-automatic some of that energy is used to work the action, which can reduce the felt recoil, depending on the design.

Then, we have the fun bit about how the recoil "feels". This is kind of subjective, but basically the higher velocity rounds feel more "snappy". If you get a chance to shoot the same gun in .40 and .45 you will see what I mean. Both rounds perform similarly, but the .40 is smaller (so you can hold more rounds in a gun). To get that similarity in performance the .40 is shot at a higher velocity, so you feel the recoil more quickly. The .45acp is sometimes described as more "rolling" as you are shooting the big bullet a little more sedately.

I'm a big fan of recommending the GP100s or L-Frames for a home defense pistol because they have plenty of grip options (one of which should fit just about any hands). They are big enough to absorb .357 recoil nicely, or .38 if need be. They are also easy to practice with for extended periods of time (using something like a .38 wadcutter). And of course, as a gun that is sitting in a quick access safe or a drawer, size isn't a consideration (as it is with a carry gun).

They may only hold 6 bullets, but really, if you need more then 6 in a home defense situation and you can't reload with a speed loader, odds are no gun would have saved you.

Anyway, buy right and buy once. Make sure your wife is comfortable with the gun, and with shooting the gun before you buy it. A home defense gun is useless if the person who is supposed to use it to defend themselves is more afraid of the gun then they are of the intruder.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 8, 2010

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I just wanted to add that Smith and Wesson have a very nice Model 627 in stainless that has 8 rounds instead of 6, it's built on an N-frame and weighs in at 42 ounces, which nicely tames .38 and .357 magnum.
ed: here's a description
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/ProductPR/Model%20627.pdf

Oooh, that's pretty nifty.

While the GP100 trigger is pretty good, I must still admit that the S&W is still better. For a woman with (possible) weak grip strength this would be the superior choice.

At least until Ruger gets with the program and applies their LCR trigger voodoo to a new run of GP100s and SP101s.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

At the moment I'm mostly considering the 336 and the browning BLR. The browning BLR comes in .308 winchester so it could share ammunition with a bolt action, but I don't know if the BLR is built as well as the marlin. I've held and fired marlin rifles before and they're really well made and reliable and seem like they could last forever. I've never seen a BLR in real life but it looks like a more internally complex rifle so it might break more easily.

BLRs are really awesome. If you are on a budget however there are a lot of great .308win lever guns you can buy.

A Savage 99 will be the cheapest, if you look around you can find them for less then 300, and they are surprisingly awesome guns. Although they do have one of those "so ugly it's almost pretty" things going on. You find them in .300 savage all the time, which was the parent case of the .308, and was designed for the Savage 99. A Savage 99 in .308 is just fundamentally right.

If you can get past how they look, the 99 wins out for price, simplicity of action, and durability.

If you want to step it up a bit in cost, Winchester 88. They are everywhere around here. They are however supposed to be kind of fragile. I don't have any experience with them. If someone ever wants to sell me one in decent shape for $250 I will probably buy it, but frankly the couple I have looked over were less then impressive.

BLRs are just awesome. They will cost you, bu they are worth it. They are pretty and hardy.

If you want to step it up a notch for rarity, there is what I am currently trying to find for a price < rape: a Sako Finnwolf. Sako just makes guns that I can't help but drool over, and this is one of them. They only chambered them in .308 and .243. They are rare, expensive, and gorgeous.

That .308 Marlin is really something to avoid... The round may be just fine, but its a moon round, and it will never be anything more then a moon round.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Black Stormy posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could call a model 99 ugly. They are great guns. BLRs are cool too. I have one in .30-06.

They are a very distinct gun. I have heard them called ugly a number of times.

But they really are great guns, and there are a lot of them out there. I found my 99 in .308 for $260, and am very happy with it.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I live in england so there aren't all that many second hand lever guns around because lever guns never took off here the way they did in america. The only people who like them a lot here are cowboy action shooters, so all the second hand guns are period-correct guns in pistol calibers. It looks like I can get a BLR fairly cheap here though, cheaper than I could get a marlin 336. Thanks for the feedback on it, it's probably the gun I'll end up going for then. Its looks kind of like the bastard child of an auto-5 and a marlin, in a good way though.

That does make sense. We have an over-abundance of lever actions here (heck, I turned down a .30-30 Marlin for $175 on Saturday) and the 99s are coming out our ears. They aren't really in vogue right now, so everyone has Grandpa's old lever action sitting in a closet.

You might also see what you can do about a Sako Finnwolf. I have no idea what the market is for them over there but they are definitely worth a look along side a BLR. The only one I have actually held was in .243 but was simply gorgeous.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Cadence posted:

From another thread

Would it be silly for me to get the Mod 922 from this page:
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/H_R.html

as a first pistol?

Not really silly. A .22 is a great first pistol. A lot of people like the H&R revolvers. 9 shots, double action (which may or may not be usable, double action .22 revolvers tend to be so stiff they usually just get used single action anyway).

Decent price, but after FFL fees and possibly taxes it isn't exactly a deal.

Personally, I think finding a decent used Single Six for ~$200-250 is a better way to go. My first .22 revolver was a H&R and I promptly sold it and found a Single Six. Ruger just made such a significantly better gun, and I was forced to use the H&R single action anyway due to the 800lb trigger pull. I don't think there is a better value on the gun market then a used Single Six.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Cadence posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, I am definitely looking for a nice used Single 6, but all the ones I see are 300-500 dollars :(

The funny thing about single sixes is that they last forever, through a lot of abuse. There are a lot of them out there. they really are *worth* 500 bucks, but because they are that gun that someone finds in Grandpa's work bench after he has passed on, you can find them for a song.

It also helps that the huge number of them out there makes the common models not terribly collectible. Just keep looking for them. A good single six with both .22lr and wmr cylinders is still a purchase that you would not regret at $300.

One reminder, if you are looking for one, make sure you know how to identify the cylinders. A lot of the $200 guns only have the mag cylinder. Which is good, but a lot more expensive to shoot.

Blast it, waffle images isn't working, have a look at this picture for identification: http://media.photobucket.com/image/single%20six%20cylinders/308LD/OM22cylinders.jpg

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

No no no no no no no no; no.

Now now, when you are going to correct someone you have to explain it to them.

Hydrostatic shock is part unverifiable hypothesis, part ammo marketing bullshit. No one can say for sure if it is actually true. Hydrostatic shock is the homeopathy of the gun world.

All anyone knows for sure is that to stop someone, you need to damage the nervous system and/or the major organs as much as possible. Which means the largest possible surface area on the bullet, digging the biggest hole through the important parts of the fraggle's body, preferably lodging in that black little fraggle heart.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Homeopathy in the medicine/real world is pretty thoroughly shown to have no effect that's significantly stronger than a similarly-administered placebo. Is hydrostatic shock the same idea?

I'm thinking more about the believers of Homeopathy being similar to the type of people who believe in Hydrostatic shock.

Homeopathy has 214 years of debunking behind it.

Hydrostatic shock may prove to have some truth behind it, but in another 200 years, even if it is totally debunked, I think it will still have people who believe in it. After all, Hydrostatic loving Shock! :neckbeard: Could it sound *any* cooler?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

So, I have a line on an in the box Colt Trooper Mark 3. It looks like it has been shot once. I think I can get it for $350, maybe $300. (I know they will probably just take whatever I offer them, and I don't want to take advantage of them).

I had a look over it, and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. It's pretty, but the double action trigger is pretty bad (maybe it needs oil?) and it just didn't seem as nice as an S&W or even a Ruger to me.

The only Colt I own is a 1903 and I love everything about it. This Trooper has not given me that same thrill.

Am I crazy? Is this why they don't sell for a huge amount of money? If I do buy it will I grow to love it, arranged marriage style?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Cheap Bourbon posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I thought the troopers were functionally the same as the pythons, just not as high-polish finished?

Even if I'm wrong, the market has a huge fuckoff Prancing Pony tax, so $350 would be a hell of a deal for a visually clean, functioning colt (revolver).

Edit: abuse the prancing pony tax and pick it up to flip it for something you want. The local fudd stores would love it as trade-fodder.

Yeah, if I buy it, its to keep it.

If I could flip it I would just give this couple whatever extra I got on it anyway. They need the money more then I do.

The funny thing is, when I started looking, the Colt Tax just doesn't seem to be in effect for these. Oh sure, people *ask* for a lot of money for them, but they don't get it. I really think $350-400 is about what it is actually worth, if they wanted to sell it in a reasonable amount of time.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

What's the name of that pistol where the magazine loads backwards? I can't remember much more about it than that, but anyone who has seen it should know what I'm referring to. The ame has been escaping me for some time now and a google search for "backwards loading pistol magazine" and any variant thereof just gets me articles about dumbasses who hosed up their gun in some way.

HK makes those.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Thanks you guys. I was thinking about the Boberg one. I didn't know HK made one, but that's pretty cool.

HK didn't. I was just making a joke based on a mistake made when they were shooting the cover of that catalog. The magazine was loaded backward, incorrectly.

The Boberg is the correct answer. It's a rather interesting little gun.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

Jurassic Park is the only reason that I want a SPAS-12. One day I will buy one and do exactly what you mentioned.

Someone should make a kit to dress a Benelli M4 up like a Spas

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

haha, spend more money to make the M4 look like a less expensive gun?

Since the market for Spas-12s largely consists of video game playing air-softers who discovered that they can buy real guns. Yes.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

(this doesn't count the spiffy over/unders i will be buying for my doctorly skeet and trap shooting sessions)

Don't even start with those things. I made the mistake of picking one up and now I dream of Beretta over/unders.

There is a Silver Pigeon 20g sitting in my local gunshop for $585 that I pick up every time I go in there, it just feels so perfect.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Domini Cane posted:

You're terrible person. You're exactly who we need on juries and I cannot get intelligent people in my panels to suck it up and do what is required of them as a citizen. If you ever wondered why the legal system has so many miscarriages of justice its because people like you won't participate in it.

Jury duty is more important than voting. One person cannot sway an election, one person can sway a jury.

Unless you are stuck on a jury that only needs 10 out of 12 to reach a verdict.

I was on a jury for over 2 weeks when I was 19, it single-handedly destroyed all faith I had in our "justice" system. I lost out on a job because of it, and I developed a TMJ disorder because of the stress of it.

I will never willingly participate in that bullshit the rest of my life.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

walrusman posted:

New idea: rifled barrel insert a la the cool .22 conversion kits for WASRs, constricting the bore down to .20 or so. Then get some dies, neck new-manufacture x54R brass down to .20 and develop an awesome wildcat load.

I was talking to a neighbor who was telling me about the .243 Win Weatherby he had made in the 60's. He said he used to get surplus 7.62 nato, pop the bullet out, neck it down, put a .243 in there and shoot those.

He told me about all sorts of awesome guns like that.

When I asked him if he still had the Weatherby he said he had sold all his guns for basically nothing, because everyone thought they were going to confiscate all the guns after JFK was shot. :doh:

Apparently the gun stores (in California at least) were basically buying anything anyone panicked enough would bring them for pennies on the dollar.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

gg posted:

On the topic of mosin sniper rifles, how stupid would it be to buy a Finnish M39, a turned down bolt, and a non-destructive scope mount and use it for long distance shooting? It seems pretty cheap, accurate and should be non-destructive right?

My finn and my boss's finn mosin are both remarkably accurate. I couldn't be happier with mine.

However, who knows what kind of unexpected condition related issues you might have with accuracy. Also, cheep to shoot kind of goes out the door when you realize that the piles of cheap ammo aren't exactly the best for consistency in long distance shooting.

My boss was having good luck with his, but only with good ammo or ammo he loaded himself. All of the surplus stuff turned out to be pretty bad for him. So in the end, it wasn't really much cheaper then a new Remington 700 in .308

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Plasma1010 posted:

I got a Remington 22 gauge which I have been taking backpacking with me recently. I have been trying to cover it with plastic bags when it rains so it doesnt get wet so I was wondering do they sell small waterproof cases that are shaped like the gun or something and are light weight ? Or is there another method for waterproofing that is better ? I do some lengthy week or longer trips occasionally and keep it on my backpack and at my sight for protection purposes (bear country).

Also, what the gently caress is up with this lead warning ? Are most guns made of lead ?

Just take care of it. If you keep it lightly oiled, and dry it off when it gets wet you should be fine.

On another note, if it concerns you that much it might be worth your time and money to just buy a decent stainless revolver for your bear country hiking. I would guess that lugging that shotgun around is a bit of a pain. Even a big revolver isn't anything to carry compared to a shotgun.

I see used Ruger Redhawks in .44 magnum for $400-500. Blackhawks (if you are comfortable with a single action bear gun) as low as $200 sometimes.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

My roomate has been killing bandits with his Volcanic Pistol in Red Dead Redemption lately, and it is has re-kindled my interest in the Volcanic.

Can anyone tell me if there are any working (decently constructed) reproductions?

If they can make brand new LeMats I don't see why someone couldn't be producing Volcanic Pistols.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Not that I know of, and I've been haunting the cowboy forums of late. Part of the problem is the unique ammo of the original, which died off quick and *stayed* dead.

I could be wrong, since a Volcanic isn't something I'm actually interested in, but I vaguely recall it coming up multiple times on Tales Of The Gun - did a marathon of those one Saturday a few weeks back.

Mainly I am curious if someone duplicated it chambered in something currently, like .22lr, or even one of the cowboy rounds that are making a comeback due to action shooting.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

hangedman posted:

With regards to bear calibers, and while I'm aware that this always heads into "file down the front sight har har" territory, is there a reason to denigrate a 20 gauge loaded with buckshot or slugs when used against black bear when a lot of people say that a hot-loaded .357 magnum is acceptable? Seems to me like any non-birdshot 20ga load would be a lot more devastating than .357.

If I'm wrong on this, please enlighten me.

On black bears?

The thing about black bears is that they can be extremely small. A 20g with buckshot would *probably* be fine. I think it would come down to penetration. I would imagine a slug would be more then good.

If you ran into that mythical 1000lb black bear (I believe one male in captivity reached that size). Then, no, you probably wouldn't want to shoot it with a 20g, or a .357 for that matter.

I think too its noteworthy that what you hunt with, and what you use for protection are two separate things entirely. If you are sitting in a blind, baiting a bear you probably have the time to ensure proper shot placement. If you have treed a bear with dogs...same thing.

If you have a bear that decided you were in *his* blackberry patch, that's something else.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

With all this talk of bears and shotguns I had to go to the store and buy one.

Anything I should know about installing a tube extension on my new Remington 870 Magnum Wingmaster Deer?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Check the factory mag tube for dimples. Dimples will impede any rounds being loaded into an extension and are generally stupid dumb butts that have no business in being in a gun :colbert:

Thanks, Ill see about figuring that out when I get home. I hope there aren't. I love the gun, it was the first 870 I picked up and couldn't stop thinking about until I bought it.

Ygolonac posted:

Ninjas have kidnapped President Lincoln. Are you a bad enough dude to make your own gun and rescue him?

That's about what I came up with too.

The thing that bothers me now is that I saw what appeared to be a working Volcanic at a gunshow about 6 months back. It certainly wasn't that cheap non-functional repro. I knew what it was, but at $500 I figured it had to be something reproduction. The guy didn't know anything about it.

Now I'm wondering if I passed on something that I really shouldn't have :suicide:

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Itchy_Grundle posted:

A friend of mine is selling some guns and is offering the following:

Pre-'64 Model 70 with irons in .375 H&H (I've shot this gun a lot and love it): $2500

Stag Arms Super Varminter (includes Leupold 3-9): $1200

I already have a heavy barreled AR, so I really don't care about that. The .375 however is just a really great rifle. Every time I've used it I have joked to my friend that if he ever thinks of selling it to look me up first. Well he is, and I will likely have to sell poo poo if I'm going to go for this.

What say you TFR? Should I risk financial insolvency and dispose of all political capital in my marriage? Or should I pass and kick myself every time I see some other jackass with it at the range?

Do it, if that's a good price, I don't know off the top of my head. Seems a tad high compared to the other .375 h&h rifles I have looked at, but then again I don't think I have physically seen a Win 70 yet.

You obviously love the gun already, and if you decide you want one some years down the line it's not going to be terribly easy to find. Guns like that, that you pass on, just end up being something you regret forever.

But on the other hand, what is being a gun owner without a vast collection of various regrets?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

bunnielab posted:

So. I saw this Savage 99 for sale. It is chambered in .300savage, which is still a pretty great round. It is an older one with the rotary cartridge counter. It also has one of those weird Redfield Widescreen scopes mounted on it. It is also $450. I could most likely get it for $400.

I do not *need* an other medium range woods gun.

But man, I loving want that gun so badly.

Savage 99s are awesome. The .300 savage is a great round, and remarkably easy to come by. For an "obsolete" round it's one of the most common I see.

$400 may be a bit much for it, depending on the year and condition. The .300 savage chambered 99s are extremely common. The cheapest one I have found was $225 (which I kick myself for not buying, but I don't have any more safe space) and they go up from there.

What kind of mount does it have for the scope? If it's a stith mount it is definitely worth the $400. If not, and if it is a newer gun, it might be worth talking them down a bit.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

A question about small .380 autos. My girlfriend is looking at replacing her carry piece (Beretta PX4 9mm sub-compact) with something a bit smaller. She's lost a bunch of weight and now wants to dress like a common whore who should admit her shameful ways to a priest at dawn if she doesn't want to spend eternity in hellfire in clothes that now fit her again. Long story short, she's no longer comfortable carrying the Beretta because she thinks she'll print. We're planning on hitting the gun shop this weekend to try a few on.

See if you can test fire a Walther PK380. They are a lot slimmer and a bit smaller then the PX4 Sub Compact, and are remarkably friendly in the recoil department.

They aren't as small as an LCP, but it may still fit the bill. Especially if she finds the other .380s too annoying to shoot.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

I like turtles posted:

So, LW, now that Caro is perma'd, can you let us in on why he was allowed back into TFR?

Because he is entertaining? This is a comedy forum after all.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question on a revolver: I just went and filled out the paperwork for the S&W Model 10 .38 Special revolver that I bought from J&G Sales. Since it's apparently a police turn-in, should I go ahead and have a gunsmith look it over before I fire it? From a quick glance / handling, it looks to be in pretty good shape.

If it locks up properly it's probably just fine to shoot. I can't imagine J&G would sell a gun that has an obvious problem without saying anything.

This is a pretty solid guide for checking out your new revolver, if you are really concerned about it.

http://thesixgunjournal.net/revolverbuyersguide.html

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

I just got a bit of fun family news.

My uncle gets pulled over about a month back, supposedly for speeding but after having driven with my uncle I doubt it would have been much over the limit (he maintains it was only a couple over which is probably true considering he didn't get a ticket).

The officer asks him if he has any guns. This is northern Minnesota and my uncle has a carry permit so he says "Yes I am carrying a gun and have a permit and there is another gun in the car". The officer asks if he has any drugs. My uncle tells him "Yes I have my prescription drugs in the car". The officer then tells him to step out of the car, grabs his arm and wrenches it around his back, breaking it.

Ultimately my uncle is let go without a ticket or anything to show for it but a broken arm. He did get to the doctor and get that treated (the doctor can back his story on how it was damaged and says he would testify if it came down to that).

When he complained to the sheriff's department he was told that there was no record of the stop, and the dashboard tape had been lost/never existed/destroyed, so it was his word against the deputy's and he should just drop it.

So now he has a busted arm and he can't afford the lawyer to fight it. I suggested he call the ACLU, seems like it should be their bag.

Anyone have any suggestions apart from calling the ACLU for a situation like this?

As I said I am getting all of this second hand, so all I really want to do is to make sure my uncle can fight this properly, based on what I have been told. I know him well, I believe this story, and I don't believe he would do anything to warrant the broken arm.

The speculation in the family is that the deputy is new to the job, panicked when he was told that there actually were drugs and guns in the car, and overreacted. If that was addressed then there really wouldn't be a major problem here. The fact that the dashboard cam tape is gone, and all the evidence of the stop (aside from the injury) is gone is the real problem.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

I like turtles posted:

Jesus, that's terrible. Does he have the officer's information, at least? Just saying "Some cop broke my arm" probably won't prove his case very well, especially if the police are stonewalling like they seem to be.

Yeah, he got that at least.

Well drat, it will probably just mean that he has to deal with the broken arm himself, Gtab will have one more anecdote to keep in mind when he says gently caress da police, and the rear end in a top hat deputy will get off without an issue.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

beanieson posted:

Just curious, but how old is your uncle? Was it just a ridiculous use of force to break his arm, or was there some pre-existing condition?

Sort of pre-existing, his arm had just healed up from an injury. He's in his 60s and pretty frail after all the heart surgeries.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

beanieson posted:

Christ... dealing with the elderly is always touchy, but even an inexperienced officer should have enough common sense about this sort of thing. The real issue is the apparent attempt to make this go away. I would first speak with the departments internal affairs division, and file an official complaint if he hasn't already. If that doesn't get him anywhere, I would be to speak with the district attorney.

edit: \/\/\/\/ These records are definitely kept by dispatch, even if he ran the plate himself on a laptop. All radio traffic is most likely recorded as well. Was an ambulance called to the scene after his injury? Did he make it clear to the officer then and there that he was injured?

That I do not know.

This is all great information, thanks guys, I will send it back his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Comedy Jew posted:

I am your typical liberal minded new york jew with a serious problem...I love guns, I have always thought they were so cool. I love the mechanistic quality of the process of firing a bullet. I love the smell that bullets leave behind. I just think guns are all around bad rear end. This is a problem for two reasons: first, I don't have any close friends who own guns, or can help me learn about them. Second my family wouldn't understand my choice to own a firearm. In fact one of my ex-girlfriends told me she could never marry a man who owned a gun.

Getting to the point. How does someone in my relatively isolated position learn about guns (how to shoot, clean, talk about, etc.)? Obviously, wikipedia has a plethora of information, but it is a bit too much to dive into. I need a place to start. Any advice?

You are doing it, this is a pretty solid place for getting started information. If you go down the rabbit hole collecting Heym rifles from the 1940s or something you might need to get some information elsewhere. For the most part TFR is one of the friendlier and helpful places to get beginner info.

Assuming you can cope with the ceaseless innuendo.

Also: Buy a Ruger Single Six.