Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Another fun Moonie fact: Their financial holding company Happy World owns WACOM, the company that makes those fancy graphic art tablets & monitors. Every time I do an illustration or Pixar makes a movie, we're using Moonie products. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The simplest window securing device is putting a dowel brace to keep the window from opening. This will keep robbers from opening the window completely and makes it more unlikely that they'll try to crawl through a window full of shattered glass. Most home windows are tempered, so while it's tougher to break than standard pane glass, it's not as durable as laminated glass. If you're going to replace windows in the future ponying up for laminated/tempered glass sandwich combo will really difficult for robbers to break in.

I only know this info because a couple weeks ago thieves broke into my house. :mad:

The glass was frosted tempered glass that they shattered, then reached through & unlocked my deadbolt (I subsequently changed it to a deadbolt that needs a key on both sides since). The weird thing is that instead of taking the flat screen TV's, the multiple game systems, or the laptops, all the thieves took were my airsoft guns (which were against my bedroom wall) instead of my real-steel ones (which were under the bed). :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Echoing the "just be honest with her & don't keep secrets" bandwagon here. Offer solutions (good locks/safes to keep the kids out) if you want to keep guns in the house. If she won't budge on having guns in the house, see if friends are willing to store them for you (or get a separate storage unit). Finally, be attentive of her perspective since it was pretty traumatic. The trick to helping her see your point of view is trying to emphasize that what happened to her was an accident caused by improper handling. I got into a car accident when I was a kid and that didn't stop me from learning how to drive when I became a teenager. Show that you are very serious on gun safety and handling, then take her out to a casual shoot with your .22's for her to get comfortable with being around firearms.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

How I read the last couple posts:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Airbone Operation posted:

I take this to mean that a stripped lower, bought as such, is free to become whatever you want it to be. It is intended to be both a rifle and/or a pistol and thusly can become either as long as the transformation is in the proper order. An AR rifle, bought as such, will always be a rifle. The lower, bought stripped, is nothing until it becomes something, and because of that, it can be swapped at will forever.

So to clarify, if I bought an AR pistol then get the tax stamp to make it an SBR, I can't make it a pistol again?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

All this traffic talk and nobody mentions Boston? The roads are based on old cow trails, get narrow and/or become one way-only suddenly, and they use rotaries? There's a reason almost everybody uses the T.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I believe learning to drive in Boston gave me the aggressice fortitude to rule over the pussy-rear end drivers over here in Portland now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Howard Leight Impact Sports electronic earmuffs are pretty well regarded in these parts.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

There are top break .22s. In particular the H&R 999. They aren't bad guns, but they are kind of hard to find since you can't buy them new. If you can find one you shouldn't expect to have to pay much more then $200-$250 for one.

Yup.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Internet Wizard posted:

There are fossils on Antarctica. :colbert:

But Antartica during the time of the dinosaurs isn't located where Antarctica is now. :colbert: :colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I was wondering why the VC were using US weapons during that movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Having been to Texas, I feel confident in saying that Alberta beef is superior.

(shitstorm in 5.... 4.... 3... 2....)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That's true. I was just on vacation in both Texas & Banff so I was eating steaks at restaurants. I did have great bison burgers too.

All this meat talk makes me miss eating moose back in Maine. :(

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Why watch the Walking Dead mini-marathon when the Miami Vice movie is on UHD right now?

drat, I think I'll go to to the grocery store & buy some bison later to sate my desire North American ungulate.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Reupload the image into Imgur. The site host doesn't like hotlinking.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Well, here's 5 minutes using Illustrator.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

All this shotgun home defense talk makes me wonder why there hasn't been more development in a "home defense" round (powerful enough to penetrate soft tissue a la FBI requirements but not go through too many sheets of drywall and few stray pellets). If there is something available, I'd love to know.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gray Stormy posted:

Anyone know of a good spot to order an M&P 9...but in AIRSOFT? Its been forever since I got to the range and Id like to have something I can practice with during these lulls.
I saw a CO2 airsoft M&P at the nearby Big 5. I'd check the local sporting goods store to see if they have them.
Of course, there's Amazon.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

For a $45 gun it shoots pretty straight. Unfortunately it's really light plastic so it's not as nice the fancier gas blowback guns available.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can a Mare's Leg chambered in .357 use .38 Special ammo?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Psh, I want a 92 because Lethal Weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXrmLPo3Jkw

EDIT: Ha, didn't notice Mel Gibson flinching before. :haw:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've gone through through the Newbie, Tactilol, Glock, AR, AK, Airsoft, Photo & this thread and I forgot everything I read so I usually ask the same questions that's been answered 50 posts ago. :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I want something in he vein of Generation Kill check out House to House: A Soldier's Memoirby David Bellavia. It's his memoir when he was in the 2004 fighting in Fallujah. I just Picked it up & will be reading it his weekend.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Having shot a Draco pistol it was fun in the same category as "point gun downrange & send bullets forth in a gigantic fireball while keeping all fingers & eyebrows." Not something I'd really own unless I'm going to SBR it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Safety Dance posted:

I know it gets asked every now and then, but what's the skinny on flying with a handgun?

-When I get to my destination, do I just pull my bag off of the conveyor like everybody else?

The destination honors my carry permit, so no big issues there.
When I flew into PDX from Maine my firearm wasn't on the conveyer belt but in the office where lost luggage is kept. I showed them my luggage ticket, signed off that I picked up my gun, then went on my merry way.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dr. Strangler posted:

Well I gave you all the MLP avs but I dunno about this cowboy thing

TRAP SPRUNG.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm really curious of this show now since I'm also from that North Maine area (Caribou crew representin'). Time to start checkin' Animal Planet's schedule.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The use of Comic Sans is a nice touch, guaranteeing font nerds fly into a fit of rage and subsequently hating gtab.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I knew a girl that found using a Wingmaster 12ga harder to use than the little 20ga for trap shooting. Then again, she was five foot nuthin' & was barely 100lbs soaking wet & it was the 1st time she went shotgun shooting, so YMMV.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The only other goon death I'm aware of is TheStizzle from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Met him at a Cascadian goon meet; seemed like a pretty chill guy. :(

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

How about some target poker?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm left-handed so 9/10 times trying to hit a slide stop with my index finger is a challenge (don't get me started on SIGs) so racking is my go-to option.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Does DkHelmet still post here? I PM'ed him some questions regarding setting up NFA trusts but haven't heard back.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Aas, the PIF thread fell into archives before I had a chance to mooch stuff off people. :sigh:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

You know, Oregon allows SBR's. All you need to do is put me in your trust and you can store it in my house... :)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I admit I love me some Desert Eagle boobies. Comically large in my hands, expensive as poo poo, but as long as they're not mine they're a hoot to play with for a bit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Whoever said it earlier that Oregon has full-service pumps is right about it being an old 50's law to "create jobs." It was so jarring when I moved here from Massachusetts that I said, "Wait, am I in New Jersey?"

Real question: I've shot a variety of pistols (from .22lr revolvers & semi-autos to big-bore stuff) and I'm still shooting low. I guess on the chart that means "breaking wrist down." Is that a form of recoil anticipation? Another shooter with me said I'm "looking over the sights." I'm guessing just more practice and focusing on those issues will fix them. Of course, if I worry too much about that then grip or trigger finger follow-through may go.

Christ, this is just like when I play golf; so many things to be aware of to get that "perfect shot/swing" but you need to zen out when actually in the motion.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Does dry-firing my airsoft guns count? :shobon:

Next time I'm at Home Depot I'll get more drywall anchors to drop into my .22lr revolver & check if I'm flinching, Honestly, I just went shooting for the first time in a couple months so I shouldn't be surprised my skills are really slow to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

From the M4Carbine forum, here's the guy's process on the rust test:

quote:

So here's my test samples. Carbon steel fender washers with no protective coating. The one on the left is how they came and the one on the right is fresh from the blast cabinet. They all got wiped down with acetone before I put each product on. Each product had it's own paper towel. I cleaned my hands between each application to prevent cross contamination.

Here's the sample board with each product being tested. It will spend the night outside tonight. In the morning I give them a mist of salt spray to expedite things.

Okay Day number 1. This morning I brought the board in from outside. there was no moisture observed on the samples nor any signs of corrosion. I figured there'd be some morning dew but nope, nothing.

So to start things rolling I mixed up 6 ounces of warm water and mixed in a table spoon of regular table salt. I laid the board flat and lightly misted the samples. I let them dry in direct sun light and then stood the board back up. As you can see from the picture that's all it took to get the unprotected Control sample to start corroding. None of the others show any signs of corrosion. From spray to corrosion was four hours. Based on past experience some of the other samples will start showing corrosion within the next day.

At the suggestion of several members I did add a sample protected by regular motor oil, 5W-30. It's the bottom right sample...

I have had the board setting outside for the past few days. Before I put it out I resprayed it with salt water and let it dry first. We've had rain off and on the past days and the board has been fully exposed. This certainly would be hard core worst case scenario. Short of leaving them under water, I can't make it much worse. All of the samples are now showing some degree of corrosion. Even my beloved Eezox.

Take away from this what you will. I hope it's been helpful. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm impressed how long tri-flow oil lasted. Considering I have it for my bike it's one less preserving oil I need to get for my guns.