Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Saiga 7.62x39, 3 10rd mags, 1 5rd, 500rds of wolf/silver and brown bear ammo for $525. Deal or no deal. Keep in mind this is California, and the cheapest FFL transfer I can get is $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

It would be a $35 FTF transfer. The best price I've seen for one in a shop is $450, but that's not saying much.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Inspector_71 posted:

Where is it on the Mossbergs?

Where is it on the Remington?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Messing around with my Yugo M48 I'm finding that the bolt is hard to raise after firing, even dry firing. Is the spring just that heavy? I've cleaned and lubed, but nothing seems to lower the amount of force necessary to lift it. Suggestions?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have you ever used a cock-on-open bolt action rifle before? What are you comparing it to?

When you say it is "hard" to open, can you still do it one handed, or does it feel mechanically "stuck" and require either excessive force or a mallet etc?

I've handled a few mausers and my friend's 1903, but I don't remember them being as hard at all.

I can do it one handed, but only if I lower the rifle to my hip for leverage (very difficult if I'm shooting from a bench, it's really awkward). Maybe I'm just a pussy and need to man up V:shobon:V

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm assuming you've taken the bolt COMPLETELY apart, including disassembling the cocking sleeve to see if that little spring in there might have a rock or hard cosmolene or something crammed in there?

Any "crunchy" feeling to it, or is it pretty smooth except for the whole hard cocking issue?

This problem actually prompted my first complete bolt disassembly ever. I cleaned it up and lubricated everything, checked for any debris but didn't see much.

It does feel a bit gritty, not sure why though.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Bogon covered the basics, but check out this handy-dandy flow chart from calguns.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Egads. Did they resurrect HP Lovecraft to write those gun laws?

Well, Diane Feinstein is something of an eldritch horror :iamafag:

Aperture Priority fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 25, 2010

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

DrakeriderCa posted:

So what the gently caress happened to Aperature Priority (was that his name?) - the guy that runs 1791 apparel - I want some more T-shirts, dammit.

Don't you go confusing me with 28_Days, I'm nowhere near as awesome as he is. His site has been down but it says it will be back today?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Why would you want to shoot turtles :(

Ruger GP100 used. $450. Yes or no.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Atticus_1354 posted:

What about if you are shooting them to deal with an artificially large population?

Eat it anyway.

Especially if it's coyote.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

iyaayas01 posted:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/50BMGRoundDetonatedInHandjpg.jpg

Possibly :nws: depending on where you work, it's pretty graphic.

What would have happened to the cartridge when it went off? I assume it would have split spectacularly since it was unsupported by a chamber.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

infrared35 posted:

One of you California goons, go down to Pelican Bay State Prison and find out what their standard issue sidearm is.

Just curious. :v:

What a coincidence. My sister lives a 1/4 mile down the street from Pelican Bay and their landlord is a guard. And I'm also driving up to visit tomorrow! I'll be sure to ask.

I've also been invited to tour the facility :ohdear:

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

When I toured San Quentin there were guards on catwalks inside the cell blocks with mini-14s. For the CO's that come into actual contact with the inmates it's just some kind of OC spray, they don't even have batons.

Also, whenever I stay at my sister's house I'm awakened every morning by guards practicing on the shooting range at Pelican Bay, it's crazy.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

priznat posted:

Makes sense the perimeter guards would have em, though. I've seen tower guards on those shows with Mini-14s too. Must be to make escapes more exciting. :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican_Bay_State_Prison

quote:

On February 23, 2000, a fight involving about 200 inmates broke out among rivaling Black and Southern Mexican gangs in the exercise yard. Guards used chemical agents and 37mm federal gas guns, firing rubber bullets, to stop the riot. This did not control the situation and eventually, the guards chose to utilize lethal force options using Mini-14 rifles, killing one and injuring 15 inmates. The riot lasted for about 30 minutes; 19 inmates suffered stabbing or beating wounds. About 50 prison-made weapons were confiscated.

As far as I know they've only had to use them once. I saw some of the video from that riot, holy poo poo it was intense.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

priznat posted:

I tried to do a subtle dig at the Mini-14s accuracy and failed :downsgun:

I got it too, but I refuse to mock any gun I'm allowed to own without neutering it somehow. :v:

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Sorry to interrupt TFR BearChat™, but I have a question.

I picked up some Winchester Supreme Elite (:jerkbag:) 124gr.+P 9mm at a Wal*Mart because, well hell, it was cheap for defensive ammo.

The stuff in question:

The problem is, when I got home and handled some of the rounds, it felt like some of the cases were bulged as if some of the bullets had been set in too far.

Like so:

Click here for the full 1400x1050 image.

Just wondering if this is an issue or something that can be ignored. Some of the rounds are worse than others.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

infrared35, was it you that was asking about a USP simunitions conversion slide marked PBSP? Things got hectic and I didn't have time to ask the guy I know about it.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

infrared35 posted:

Yep, that was me.

Alright, I asked one of the officers who works at Pelican Bay. He said that it is most likely from the prison. Apparently they used to have HK rifles of some sort, but then HK wanted them back. In exchange for the rifles, they gave the prison USPs. (Oddly enough, he says that when they do need to use sidearms for trips to hospitals and such the officers carry .38 revolvers rather than autos because a good chunk of the officers couldn't be taught how to use a semiauto pistol).

I have no idea how accurate any of this is, but it's what he told me. So yea, the conversion kit was probably from Pelican Bay.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

_firehawk posted:

This has probably been covered, but when did Walmart start to stock Ammo again? I just bought 10 boxes of federal 9mm @ $9.47 and 5 boxes of .40sw @ $13.97. I would have bought more but that was all they had on the shelf. So Once again Walmart shelves are empty. Or are they? It occurred to me they may try to keep the ammo looking empty in order to sell more of it. I am sure some kid just partially restocked the shelves waiting for the next fud to walk though.

So Does Walmart really have ammo all over the country now? Or was I the victim of an elaborate trap?

People threw a fit and my local Walmart stopped stocking ammo. Then other people threw a fit and they stopped stocking any guns. With no guns, the store stopped stocking almost anything gun-related. Now they have the airguns in a locked cabinet.

Everytime I go out of town I check Walmart for Federal Champ 9mm. I just want cheap ammo :(

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

I apologize for the lack of information, but I have a question about a Type 99 Arisaka. A friend of mine found it in his grandfather's garage and knows nothing about it.

The issue is that he can't open the bolt, he can turn the bolt handle to the vertical position but not open. I've only been able to glance at it for a few seconds, and know nothing about Arisakas. I'm thinking that it's just as simple as the safety being on, it's a knob safety like a Mosin correct?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Question. Why can't California treat us like goddamn adults and let me carry to defend myself!

I'm doing some temporary security work and I'm stuck in an office building that was broken into last night. This place has multiple entrances/exits and no matter where I go my back is always exposed. And right now my only means of defense is a Maglite!

I could talk to my boss about open carry, but that stands a snowballs chance of happening.

Really more of a rant, I really hate the way this building is set up.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You're... really not there to shoot people, and absolutely nothing positive can result from giving you a gun in this context. If you actually used it and someone had given permission to do so that would likely be the end of the whole company.

No poo poo really?

I'm in a building that was broken into the night before. The locks are still busted and I have no access to any closet or secure area if someone does get in. The people we think broke in are the strung out meth heads that have been harassing the employees at the building. If they do get in, I have almost nowhere to go if I don't hear them coming.

I would rather face a lawsuit in this situation than being murdered. I don't want to shoot anyone, I don't want to be in a situation in which I have to make that choice. But as it is I'm in a really crappy situation with no really reasonable means to defend myself if something happens.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

I need a recommendation on some kind of sight for my Sig Trailside. Any opinions on holo vs red dot "tube" (not sure of the term). Looking for something in the sub-$150 range.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Oops I should have mentioned that I bought the weaver adapter. I like the second one, but out of stock :(

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Thanks for the Primary Arms reflex sight Craptacular. Unfortunately they won't have more until the end of July. :arghfist: :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Ok, searching for optics for my pistol. Is it true that weaver mounts will fit on picatinny rails, but picatinny mounts will not fit on weaver rails?

Basically, if I get a Burris Fastfire with the picatinny mount, would it fIt on my weaver rail?