Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

widefault posted:

Reposted from the end of the last thread.

2.) Where in the US might a man be able to take his dad to fire an M79 grenade launcher? My dad carried one in Vietnam, and to this day one of his big wants is to fire one again. He'd be happy with chalk rounds, he just wants to fire one again. I'm trying to convince him to spend some of my inheritance on an actual M79, but no luck with that. Yet.

Look around for class III dealers who rent machine guns or have machine gun shoots.

My question: What the hell do I do about the rings forming in my .357 cylinder when I shoot .38? I've tried brass-brushing the piss out of it with some Hoppes, but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

LimburgLimbo posted:

*ahem* Nippon

He already said "tiny island nations."

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

spankmeister posted:

Exactly.

Conversely, football (*ugh* "soccer") is really big in the rest of the world with a world cup, and y'all don't care about that.
Instead you have "football" where most of the game there are no feet involved.

America is weird.

We care if we're winning!

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

EndofGoogle posted:

Long story short, my father had a bout of depression and mentioned suicide. He was in a care center for a few days to clear out and everything was dandy. Now today my local police department calls me up and says that the prosecutor has advised them that my guns and my mother's have to be stored out of the house at the police station till things clear up. They say I could take them out when I goto the range, but I have a hard time believing this at all, especially in NJ. Calling a firearms lawyer tomorrow and holding off on turning them over until them.

That doesn't sound right. Don't you have to be adjudicated mentally incompetent to be a prohibited possessor?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

If it's any help, my 4-16x scope warns that the mils are only mils at 8x. What I don't know is what that makes them at 4x or 16x. I really don't feel all trigonometrical right now.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Don't more places than usual in the US ban shotguns with cylinders? Or am I just talking out of my rear end regarding the Street Sweeper and similar that are non-importable/DDs because of lack of "sporting purpose?"

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

It sounds like he's actually got a 4-gas detector:

iyaayas01 posted:

[M]y detector just randomly started going off, saying there was explosive gas in the house (i.e., propane/methane/natural gas).

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Manufacturer actually sells a carbine version that uses the same forend.
And some Browning Buckmark models, probably others... I did wonder about those. This area seems legally grayish to me and open to ATF's Interpretation Of The Day.
I want to put a forward pistol grip monopod on my Glock. If I had a ton of money and a ton of lawyers to keep my arse out of prison I would, just for the hell of it.

Or just a $5 AOW stamp.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Aperture Priority posted:

Ruger GP100 used. $450. Yes or no.

Depends. I got a 6" blued with adjustable sights lightly used for $390.
Turtles need armor piercing rounds, obviously.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IT'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!

Actual question:
Has anyone here flown commercially with a firearm? In checked baggage, obviously. How has it worked out for you?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Roundboy posted:

Gun stores are not allowed to charge tax on anything they didn't directly sell to you. They didn't buy it, it didn't come from their inventory, so they have no reason to collect a tax. All they did was transfer it.

The one FFL I've asked about it (Colorado) is of the opinion that it's a murky area and he doesn't feel like dealing with it, so just keep quiet about it.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Should Neutrogena SPF 70 last for 4 hours in direct sunlight?

Also, should running slugs through my 12-gauge make my teeth hurt? I'm firing the thing like I fire a rifle. Is this wrong?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

walrusman posted:

I sure hope so but I was burned as gently caress yesterday despite liberal application of that very same product.

I'm burnt as gently caress today.
Normally this poo poo actually makes me more pale.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

wilfoy posted:

What are the rules about buying a gun as a gift? I know TFR goes all crazy about the ATF busting down your door over straw purchases, so what do you do?

Is the recipient in the same state?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

In-state gifts are fine. When you do the 4473, if you're buying from a store as a gift, you are still the actual buyer. If I remember correctly, all interstate transfers, even gifts, must go through an FFL. Now, if you "give" ten Hi-Points to your boy JB over the weekend, then that's when ATF starts to worry.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The Glock 17 is a full-sized 9mm.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Propagandalf posted:

A pocket .308 would be godly.

What's the ancient Norse god of breaking your wrist?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

^^^^^
Yeah, definitely have someone take you shooting before you go out and buy something. Even better, try to shoot something similar to what you'd like to (eventually) buy.
The gun shows in Colorado are actually all right for buying, in that you'll get NIB merch for the same price as in stores because it's basically a big gun store. There's a gun show background check law that really kills private sales.

The Dregs posted:

I'm going to my first gun show this weekend. Never owned a gun. Shot one once. It was an old WW2 .30-something-or-other and it bruised the hell out of my collarbone. I am almost positive I am not going to buy something this weekend because I'd like to buy used and I don't know good from poo poo.

I'd like some pointers though. Is it OK to touch stuff? Things to avoid doing so that I don't end up looking like a fucktard. That kind of stuff.

It's a very good idea, even with new, plain-jane production stuff, to ask the person running the booth, "do you mind if I handle X?" or "can I have a closer look at Y?" Along the same lines, always ask if the owner minds if you dry-fire it, especially with older stuff, and try not to dink around with levers, buttons, and stuff that you cannot identify. A goon had a story a while ago where he accidentally hit the takedown lever on an Uzi or something.

Another fantastically good idea (mandatory, even) is to always clear the firearm before handling it. That is, visually inspect the firing chamber to see that there's nothing in it, even if the person giving it to you does it right in front of you. It shows that you're careful.

A lot of people don't do this at gun shows, but minding your muzzle direction is still important. In a crowd, it can be tough, but just hang in there.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

wilfoy posted:

Several gun show vendors that I've seen put zip ties on the guns so the action can't even be opened.

Ours cable lock them down.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit again: anybody have that comparison picture that shows all the pistol cartridges side-by-side? Preferably including .44, .45ACP, 10mm, .40, and all the .357/.38/9mm/.380 family.

This maybe?

Bonus:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

bunnielab posted:

I recall reading somewhere that the liver can be damaged by shock-waves, but not in a way that would immediately harm someone.

I recall reading in an equally dubious source that causing shock to the blood within your vascular system could induce something along the lines of a stroke.

Of course, if you have to explode someone's major arteries/heart to make their brain explode in that way, you're still basically aiming for the same damned place.

I've read from a less dubious source (TFR) that temporary wound cavitation as shown on ballistics gel is the reason why the meat in a prey animal is all nasty near a bullethole.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Mental status is one of the first things to drop off as one loses the ability to compensate for blood loss. Perhaps thats what you mean?

No, no, I meant the stupider one where it ruptures a blood vessel in your brain.

Cyrano4747 posted:

for further reading on the elastic nature of human tissue, consult the well-known Goatse publications.

You cannot possibly be telling me that man's tissue returns to normal dimensions.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Anjow posted:

The main reason I was wondering was regarding cartridge belts, and if one would need to be careful when wearing them. Thanks for the information.

Are you talking about actual, linked machine gun ammo, or clothing belts with cartridges in them? Anything clothing is going to be deactivated -- probably not even real primers.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Anjow posted:

I'm talking about clothing, but I'm talking about the real thing that might be worn by hunters or clay shooters:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/568/104641/beretta-b1one-cartridge-belt-ber-ca1601190706/

Ahh. Yeah, you'll be fine, as long as you don't dive into a cloud full of firing pins. I'd be more worried about getting my ammunition dirty.
For a minute, I thought you were talking about these.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

ZebraBlade posted:

Also $475 is good??? Maybe?

A quick look on Bud's says the most recently sold models went for upwards of 600, so yeah, that sounds good.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

foghorn posted:

I'm always a fan of the PSL Party!

They look fun at first, but they're not built for what you think they should be. You can experiment with them, but if you're serious about the results, you can do a lot better.

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 27, 2010

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

ZebraBlade posted:

2. What kind of refinishing options do I have?
3. Where can this be done?
4. What colors can be done?

The pawn shop down behind the topless bar in Colorado Springs will Duracoat anything in any color you want, so I'd imagine you can find a local gunsmith to do it. I'm not sure of the difference between Duracoat and Gunkote, though. There's always the more classic options of rebluing it or having it parked.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Schigolch posted:

Yes, it stays in the cup until it exits the barrel anyway, so the shotgun doesn't know it isn't lead. As long as the load behind it is safe in the shotgun, the pellets don't matter.

Wait, so even old-rear end shotguns can handle steel shot provided the charge isn't KB-worthy?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

I really miss being able to take a few of my GI Joe's or He-Men out into the backyard and pick away at them with a BB gun. Taking an action figure's leg off from 25 yards is way more fun than firing a pistol at a piece of paper.

Maybe what I need to do is just buy a pellet gun to relive my childhood.

Find some BLM land and clean up after yourself?

In Colorado, some of the state park regs stipulate that you can only shoot stuff manufactured as a target. The intent is that people can still shoot actual poppers, but not soda cans and laptops. Someone at the Front Range goonshoot suggested getting around this by spray-painting stuff safety orange. Manufacture!

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

wilfoy posted:

All these mountain/western state kids are so spoiled. They think everyone has huge, picturesque mountains that glow purple in the sunset while reminding them of the ultimate futility of all their petty everyday problems, and tracts of public land nearby that they can go use whenever they want.

ShaiHulud posted:

If the manufacturer no longer exists, don't shoot steel.

The shotgun I'm thinking of is a Stevens model something break-open 20-gauge, modified choke, possibly pre-1950. I don't know why I would want to shoot steel out of it anyway, but (in something possibly for the dumb poo poo thread) I've been told not to shoot steel out of something older than the time steel shot proliferated.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

There's a small thread about safes hanging out on page 2. Fat Ogre's got good advice, there.

Edit for comedy option: THIS HOME PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 3, 2010

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

HFX posted:

Would that be Dean Smith & Sam Wesson?

Maggie Smith and Marcus Wesson.

For earpro, I rock the cheapo Wal-Mart plugs. They're terrible if you need to listen to a conversation, and after about an hour, though, they get uncomfortable. However, they're like 2 bucks for a dozen and keep me from going deaf.

That said, electronic muffs are probably a better deal if you plan on going on more than 100 range trips in your life.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The Automator posted:

If you want dirt cheap, just go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and buy some skateboarding knee pads.

How about the stuff they got in the tool aisle? Seems designed for about the same thing, minus getting shot at.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Gtab posted:

I had a long post typed up about this and how thermobollocks was sorta misled but I deleted it after I decided people would think I was joking.

I didn't think you were joking. It's good advice -- thanks.
Also, all I remember about my rollerblading kneepads was that they sucked.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Atticus_1354 posted:

I don't have any experience with knockoff covers, but I will post this picture to encourage you to get laddder covers. Look around for a good deal on ERGO ladder covers and you can come in under $20 for three or four rails.

I didn't know they made AR15-style Tasers.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

chairface posted:

It's to minimize cops "mistakenly" using their handgun instead of their taser.

This, and the MORE LETHAL shotgun have my favorite furniture ever.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Cheap Bourbon posted:

No way I'm buying the story about $0.17 CPR of brass ammo unless someone links that poo poo....($35/200rd Brass Cased)

Before Obamanoia?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Cyrano4747 posted:

Who the hell needs that? My car and gun room already have an ever-present whiff of Hoppes no 9 about them.

I just spilled some on my carpet and workbench. That works out pretty well as an air freshener.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

eatenmyeyes posted:

For the past three months I have been storing some of my firearms in a basement that has dry floors and moist air. Have I done hosed up?

Did you keep them oiled?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Moist air is pretty much the worst thing for a gun, short of wrapping it in leather soaked in saltwater.

What about sticking it in the dryer with some rock salt and wet rags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Namaste posted:

The only reason I wanna custom do the foam is so it'll completely hold the box of ammo and gun/mags.TSA/FAA/the airlines I'm looking at to/from doesn't mind if you keep the ammo in the same locked container with the gun as long as it's in the box and not in the mags.

Airlines are pretty specific about the ammo being in cartridgeholders or boxes with plastic/foam inserts, so WWB 100-packs or bulk-pack .22 would be a no-go. Oddly enough, a magazine does not count as a cartridgeholder.