Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I bet that FA range in Georgia either has one or could point you to one. Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

TheHappyHeathen posted:

I was shooting at some storage containers in the alley across from my old apartment. It was a misdemeanor. I paid $400 bucks and some lucky cop's kid got a sweet Tippmann out of it.

The charge was "Illegal Discharge of an Air-rifle in the city limits." I plead No Contest.

Not a lawyer: Unless they said something about not being able to own firearms, misdemeanors generally don't preclude firearms ownership.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Thanks, way to be a douchebag.

I see you've met gtab. He trolls, but he trolls with throbbing, itchy love most of the time.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I think he means "can be taken apart and baffles can be cleaned", as you can with most .22lr suppressors.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Anjow posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? Why would it make sense with those and what's an SAO? I assumed semi automatic <something>.

It contains more information than you're probably interested in, but I've got a limited glossary at the front of the newbie thread.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Get a Marlin 1894c. .357, pretty light, accurate, fun as hell, and pretty

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Why do OH-58s keep buzzing my house?

Because you're Caro.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Jesus, gtab's avatar changed three time today that I've seen.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Thepossiblelight posted:

whats the disposition on hcc?

Last update was that it was a troll. Cops went to his house and he was fine. Don't know if any contact has been made since.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I dreamt that I was going through my safe and found one of those GSG5s, SBRd with a foregrip and a collapsing stock. I had no idea how it go there, so I was sort of worried.

It was a weird dream. I wish it had been an actual HK, that would have been a better dream.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Gtab posted:

Actually, HCC wasn't taking the piss. He really was depressed and contemplating suicide. A number of goons have contacted him since. He's still alive, and he's working to sort through his issues. Hopefully he won't off himself, but he has said that he is done with being a goon for awhile. Long-term depression is pretty poo poo for those afflicted.

Thank you for the update. I had an oh-poo poo moment the other day when I got a call from a restricted number. The only restricted number calls I'd gotten recently had been about HCC.

Turned out to be a software salesman.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Is someone going to take his guns away? Is he really suicidal?

Unless he were to be involuntarily committed, the state wouldn't take his guns, I believe. If he has family or clergy or close friends or something that can convince him to let them babysit the guns for a while that would be best.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You should look in to taking some defensive shotgun courses too, and be aware that buck shot can penetrate walls easily. I don't know how big of a concern overpenetration is for you, but it is something to keep in mind.

Also, don't use birdshot as a defensive load.

The 500 would probably do fine, but TFR in general has a hardon for the Remington 870, specifically the Wingmaster and Police variants. You can often find these used at a local pawn shop for $150-$200. The same general price range should be true for the 500 series. But really, handle both if you can find them, see which you like better.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

What is the proper pronunciation of Mosin Nagant? (IPA first, then hackneyed attempt at a more readable phonetic spelling after)
I can get the proper pronunciation of Mosin by looking at the Cyrillic, Мосин:

/mosin/, mohi-seen

How about the Nagant? I know he's Belgian, but I don't know what the gently caress that does for the pronunciation of his name. I figure it could be:

/nɑgɑnt/, nah-gahnt
/nɑgɑn/, nah-gahn
/nɑdʒɑnt/, nah-jahnt
/nɑdʒɑn/, nah-jahn

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

Any interest in an AZ goon shoot (pew pew) in the fall? I'm in the Valley of the Fun, but I'm down to go to Tuscon or meet halfway or whatever.

I'm also asking because I'm gettin' that pink gopher on it's world tour.

I'd be up for something. I don't know much about areas to shoot between Tucson and Phoenix, though.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Arizona TFR folks: someone feeling proactive enough to put together a meet thread? I'd do it, but I'm feeling particularly lazy today.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

FalconGuy016 posted:

The car is barely worth buying spark plugs and oil for. The compressor is leaking like crazy, and since it's against the law (and my wallet) to dump freon in it every day I've been forced to suffer. In an oven.

I didn't consider the weapon being for the car and not myself. This is why I like TFR. Killing myself wouldn't have been productive, now I have something that I can look forward to.

What would I do

No, man, do this: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2084765/car_hunt/

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

This Gunbroker seller always has RIA 1911s for under/around $450. Summitgunbroker also has nickel P220s for $595 if you want some Eurobling flair.

Sarco is cheaper: http://e-sarcoinc.com/pistols.aspx
$350 for .45 GI
$406 for .45 Tactical
$365 for 9mm GI

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Alasyre posted:

Those p220s might be a winner. I was initially leery of the 8+1 capacity, but I see that 10+1 mags are available. Never handled a Sig. Are these guns the poo poo?

Sigs are awesome - and a 1911 is also normally 7+1 or 8+1 with flush fit mags. You can get extended single stack ones too, though.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I once fired a 2" Derringer in .45 Colt. Plug in my left ear wasn't seated properly.

I fixed that fairly quickly.

What would the legal issues be for someone using a suppressor on their HD weapon?

Technically fairly little additional legal bullshit, I'd imagine, but there are always the apocryphal stories about the prosecuter saying "OMG HE WAS USING XYZ, HE IS A MURDERER JUST WAITING FOR SOME POOR INNOCENT KID TO BREAK IN OMG". In this case, "silenced assassin's weapon" = XYZ

I don't know if that poo poo ever actually happens, though.

Alternatively, keep electronic ear-pro by your bed along with your gun.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The Canadians mentioned this in their thread, where I started bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find one in the states. That said, has anyone heard of one in the states?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Help us Goon FFL01s, you're our only hope. I'd go up to probably... $700-$800 for one of them? Would prefer cheaper, of course, but that would be my outside limit based on my spur of the moment judgment right now. If they were substantially cheaper, say around $400, a full sized and an SBS would probably be in the cards.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 1, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Canadian gun prices are so wacky I wouldn't suggest even considering guessing the US cost of such a thing based on them.

"Think the judge is awesome? Well meet the Jury... of 12... Gauge".

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 1, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mxlplx posted:

I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile now. If Luger P08s are so drat popular, how come nobody makes them any more? Who holds the rights to make them? Same goes with Mauser pistols. Is it due to the Nazi connection? I mean, Walther still make pistols and just as many Walther pistols were made and issued during the war. What gives?

Cyrano has summed it up as: they're an antiquated, extremely complex design that is difficult to make run properly, and they end up as expensive, or more, as war era ones. A number of folks have attempted making new productions ones, all have stopped fairly soon thereafter.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mxlplx posted:

Thanks for clearing the stuff about the Luger guys. It's always been one of those strange iconic guns I've been interested in from afar but will probably never own.

Quoting for inevitable box thread within two years...

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

.45ACP recoil is often described as more of a rolling recoil than 9mm, which is "snappy". Don't be afraid to find a friend or rental range with a 1911, if only to make sure you like it.
I have the Springfield "Loaded" edition, which is pretty nice. What is your price range?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Has anyone played with a Mateba carbine? They seem to be more available than the pistol version.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Go/no go, Mateba Grifone carbine in .357, $1200?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

He and his wife should go shooting with Mishaco, since they're in AR.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm feeling decidedly uncomfortable about the direction this thread is going

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

infrared35 posted:

How big a sperglord am I if I angrily edited an imfdb entry today, at the cost of being late to dinner with my wife?

You're a pretty standard goon.

Sorry.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Greetings, I am looking for a local FFL with easy access to high amperage conditioned power, please respond quickly.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

If you know how to shoot already, no, any of those would be fine as long as you like the feel.

If you're new to handguns, the default recommendation is to get a .22 to start.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

There's some of them in the newbie question thread

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I know it has been asked before, and will be asked again, but: 9mm defensive loads? Any difference in recommendation between a 3" XD and a P226?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

HFX posted:

What kind of response is this?

I believe I like turtles was asking what would the guys here recommend as defensive rounds for 9mm. Does that recommendation change between a 3" XD and a P226 (4.4" barrels) which is a valid question since reduction in barrel length usually results in a slower bullet.

Thank you, HFX, for an elegent rephrasing of my question. It was obviously too complex for some other posters

Or, wait, did FalonGuy think he was trolling? That's so cute.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have Skinner sights coming for my 1894. I went boring and got the black ones.

I also bought 150 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 9mm +p 124g for $100 shipped, horray for gunbroker.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Same guy has a 250 round package of the same for $150 + actual shipping, looks like he has quite a bit of ammo.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179885995

Has other ammo too.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Whenever I hear about Hitler's involvement in weapons production, I'm reminded of a seven year old boy.

AND THEN IT SHOULD HAVE HUGE GUNS THAT SHOOT FIRE AND CANDY AND BULLETS AND OTHER GUNS
Fuhrer, I don't believe that such a weapon exists, or is practical on an aircraft
CAN U AT LEAST MAKE IT DO SOME OF IT?
Well, we can put 20mm cannons in the nose and...
NO, MAKE IT BIGGER
Um, ok, I guess we can do 30mm cannons
THAT'S RIGHT WE CAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.hulu.com/road-no1

Pretty loving hardcore Band of Brothers style Korea show, from the perspective of Koreans, and actually in Korean.

High points so far: M1 Garand with bayonet used as hurled spear.

Holy poo poo they just hacked at a kid's hand with a big knife.

Too many blanks, but whatever, still pretty cool.

Eh, alright, so far there's a lot of back story on the main character. Not sure if it'll change or not.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 21, 2010