Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Local Scheels Sporting Goods has a brand new Winchester Sx2 12g 3" and 3 1/2" Mag 28" Barreled Synthetic Stock for $475. I can not really find much info about the Sx2 other than it is kinda like a FN SLP. I am assuming this is a pretty good deal that I should snag considering I have been looking for a semi auto shotgun for 3 gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

This might be a really dumb question but the point of a red dot sight is that the dot always shows where the gun is pointed even if your head isn't perfectly straight behind the sight right?

Some red dot sights yes, others kinda....

Parallax or some poo poo like that, google it. I don't use red dots because of my lolawesome astigmatism so I stick with 1-4x. Unless I am mistaken and the dot on any aimpoint and eotech is supposed to looks like a star exploding and fill 1/2 the lens.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

No one has any info about the Win Super-X2??

I gather it is similar if not the same to a FN SLP.

Also $475 is good??? Maybe?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Cross posting from the 1911 megathread:

Well after 4 years of USPSA with easily 2,000 draws and reholstering and 20k + rounds the Taurus pt1911 functions really good still but looks like absolute poo poo. Holster wear up the wazoo, the safety was black but is now half shiny silver from wear, same goes for other places. It has been retired from USPSA duty and will be my backup and fun gun 1911.

What does this all mean you ask? Well it is time to get it refinished!!!! but.... I have no clue where to start. I am not going to DIY it, just looking for how to have it done (leaning towards gunkote, dont know of other options) and where to send it to be done and what color(s) to have it finished. So let me break it down

1. What do I need to know about having my 1911 refinished?
2. What kind of refinishing options do I have?
3. Where can this be done?
4. What colors can be done?
5. What colors does TFR suggest? I dont know if I want to do a FDE or tan scheme or stick with black and do the parts a different color.

Any and (almost)all input is welcome

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I am looking into mountable/wearable cameras to record me shooting USPSA. My main goal is use the footage to review my stage runs and see where I made mistakes and why. People recording from behind the line does not really help. I have been looking at a few different solutions and have it narrowed down to two choices.

ContourHD 1080p Helmet Cam

or

GoPro HD HERO

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Secret Ooze posted:

There is someone right here on TFR that rocks one of these(i think). From the footage Ive seen, it looks really good.

Yeah I have seen footage from bots on TFR and they both look really good. I am wondering how durable, battery life, ease of use, etc...

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Prescription lenses would be required and I just purchased prescription Wiley-x's. But a neat idea nonetheless

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

On my ar15 I have the front sight post adjusted all the way down and it just barely makes elevation at 50 and 100 yards. I am running a DD fixed front and DD A1.5 fixed rear. Could this be the sights or is something hosed up with my rifle?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

GroovinPickle posted:

Just to be clear, when you say you've adjusted it all the way down, do you mean that the post is physically as low as it will go (turned clockwise, in the direction marked "up") and the point of impact is still lower than the point of aim?

This is correct.

Also I am going with the contourHD cam, thanks for the awesome input.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Holy poo poo

:goonsay::arghfist:

Please take it somewhere else, I am in need of answers/help not history spergin. This would make an amusing "Lets argue about history" thread.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Will SOG sell guns to a non-FFL and ship it to one? Or are they just FFL to FFL buisness? Because I want one of those USP's

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

A old Tasco Propoint has come into my possession for free, and I am unable to figure out what kind of battery it uses. The newer ones use 2032's but this one does not. The battery chamber is about the dame diameter as a AAA and is maybe 1/3" tall. Tasco does not list a contact email or phone number, just a physical address. Any Ideas?

It is a PDP2 and I found this Battery, I am unable to determine the actual name or what kind of battery, just their brand of it.

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 23, 2010

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You can search under the description "3V 160mAh LIT 1/3N CARD LITHIUM" and up come several batteries.

Yeah I see that now. Just picked one up at the store and it works! It apparently is a CR 1/3N

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

What is the "best" red dot for someone with a astigmatism? I used to have a Aimpoint Comp M2 but the dot was just a big blurry star. Is there such a thing as a better red dot in my case or will they all be poo poo? I run a 1-4x and leave it on 1x as the furthest we shoot in our 3gun matches is 200 yards at largeish targets. I have been thinking ACOG but I cant justify spending more on a optic than my rifle costs.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

hangedman posted:

In my case, it was the red dot I had and a $150 trip to the optometrist. Just about everything I'd looked through before gave me starbursts of some type. On the plus side, getting some frames and some lenses will probably be less than an Aimpoint M2!

I'm assuming that you're probably like me and don't wear glasses normally, but mine pretty much live in my range bag now. If you go, make sure that your prescription isn't so powerful that it causes you to lose any clarity of the poo poo that would be about two feet from your face. Like, for example, the definition of a rear sight.

Seriously, though, it's totally worth it.

I have contacts, and they are supposedly astigmatism correcting but its about the same as without them.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

bugshot

Fill a shotshell with sand?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I got a line on 2k rounds of BVAC 115g 9mm for $290. Has anyone shot this stuff before? It is re-manufactured so I am a bit iffy.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Seagrams 7 crown is a great mixer but lovely straight. I try to stick to rum and lovely cheap beer.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I had just gotten used to everyone's av and bam, pink ponies. Now im used to everyone's pony av, so don't go changing.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Which ammo manufacturer is "better", Magtech or Sellier & Bellot?
Planning on buying a 1k case so I can have something to shoot and get some brass built up to start reloading. They are both $189 for the 1k case so I am wanting the better brass.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Hugs Boson posted:

Thanks for the info! :)

Gave the Polizei a call today, and the resident munitions expert came by and had a look at it. According to the officer it's an American 12.7mm slug, most likely fired from an airplane strafing a German train on the nearby railway tracks in WW2 (which apparently happened in this spot towards the end of the war).

The thing in question is rather harmless (except for chainsaws), but its entirely possible to find unignited incendiary or explosive ones in that area, so the warnings were quite justified.

Again, thanks for the quick answers and words of caution.

Really cool, thanks for the followup.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Gtab posted:

TFR has a long and storied tradition of derails. May it never end!

I like to think TFR started out as a subforum about suppressed homosexuality and goats and had a massive firearms derail and it just kinda stuck, but is now slowly derailing back to its original content.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

What is the best method for thinning a spring to reduce the strength, but maintain the correct length?

Well I would say your best option is to buy a new spring, other than that I would only think cutting coils off will do what you want but will shorten it. May I ask what you are trying to do?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

The GF and I are planning on visiting Yellowstone for a week and planning on camping and doing a bit of hiking. Shes concerned about animal attacks, and asked me to bring a gun, since apparently you can open carry in national parks now.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? I figured some bear repellant would work, and don't want to deal with the hassle of worrying about carrying a loaded weapon everywhere.

Dont do anything to gently caress with the bears and you will be fine. Bears dont roam around attacking random tourists, they usually are after left out food, or you wandered into their turf. It really isnt something to worry about, both practically and statistically. Many people have reportedly been harassed by park staff for open carry since the new laws went into effect, so as far as hassle be prepared for that possibility.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

Anyone here frequent the Brian Enos forums? I've been casually glancing, and at first glance it seems the level of crazy is fairly low. Am I correct in this assessment, or will I be warned of blue helmets at every chance?

They keep the :tinfoil: out of most threads that are technical in nature, but there are some :tinfoil: threads and ohhhhh boy. They really dont have the same quality derails that we have, and thats a shame.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

wilfoy posted:

Modern pistols are drop-tested out the rear end so it's not like anyone was in real danger, but I would have been super pissed if he had knocked one of my guns into the gravel like that.

If you did a drop test on the guns at a big USPSA match from higher than 3 feet half of them would fail. Out of the box yeah guns are mostly safe when dropped, but competition guns? Not so much.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Just flip sides every now and then. We had some half inch AR500 8 and 10 inch that started to concave in after 3 or 4 thousand hits to one face. We rotate the new ones every thousand strikes or so and I would say they are fine after 20k+ rounds now.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I put this in the optics thread but it looks like its dead. What is the deal with sun shades for scopes? Mostly are they all threaded the same? I have a Vortex scope and the vortex 50mm sunshade is $40, and other brands are like $10. Even nightforce sunshades are cheaper than Vortex ones by %25.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

We have a manufacturers day at the range where the local gun store has the reps from 6 or 7 companies out and all the ammo is provided. I am good buddies with the owner of the gun shop so I help him at the event. Last year I loaded over 4,500 rounds of various pistol calibers into various mags over a 4 hour event. My fingers were red and sore but I never had a hard time and at no time was it actually painful. Why anyone needs a mag loader is beyond me.

I got a case of Federal 9mm for helping because the owner didn't want to haul it back to the store. :krad:

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I would like to join, my username @ gmail please

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Bummey posted:

vv Yeah I'm just bitter because I went to an indoor range in Minneapolis this week and they wouldn't let me use any of my ammo, even though I specifically called them before hand to make sure it was okay. Fuckers.

Burnsville pistol range? I had brought steel cased rounds that were normal non-magnetic bullets and they wouldn't let me shoot them. I even pulled a bullet and told them to put a magnet on it, to which they said "No magnetic ammo, that means the whole thing"

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Never is a strong word, in reality it is more of a "very extremely unlikely" but still possible.
E:FB with close to the same wording :argh:

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Im sure this has been answered somewhere by now but for the life of me I can't seem to find it in any of the threads I frequent.

The gov shutdown really wont impact either standard background checks or NFA stuff will it? Even then we get the automatic go after 3 days of no answer? I have a gun to pick up next week and put in my paperwork for a can about 6 months ago.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

phuzzylodgik posted:

I pulled out my Buckmark to clean it recently and noticed that the muzzle seems to be off-center. The caliper showed it to be nowhere near center on any axis.

Is this as looney tunes as I think it is?

I would email Browning and or take it to the place you bought it from and get some answers. That is not right by any means.

I can only imagine you sending it in to be threaded and the guy doing the machining being extremely confused.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Does anyone know if PSA Munition bullets are just rebranded Rainier or Berrys?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Unskilled Labour posted:

Is there anything I need to worry about with .45ACP brass with small pistol primers? I can source once fired brass with the small pistol pockets much more easily than with large primers. This would be for me to reload and use at the range/IPSC Classic division.

I have been shooting small primer .45 brass for lost brass matches for 3 years now. I came into around 3k once fired for free, thanks again federal Ammo rep too lazy to pick it up from my range after your demo event! In most cases you shouldn't need to change anything, if you are needing to reach a power factor for competition I would chrono a few rounds, depending on powder and primers they can be just a hair slower. A 20 round average using the same load large primer vs small primer was 22.6 fps slower for small primer for my loads using Unique, my loads with HS6 has zero difference. This could be due to Unique not metering as well as the spherical HS6.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

So I just picked up a M&P9c and it is shooting WAY low. I shoot my cz sp01, 1911, g17 and g22, buckmark, and sig 229 just fine, but whenever I shoot the M&P it is low. When shooting a plate rack at 15ish yards I have to hold about 5-6" above the top of the plates and I hit center every time, I can shoot very tight groups on paper, but are very low from my point of aim. I have done dry fire practice on the M&P and every other gun I have, and have never had a flinching problem. Is there a possibility there is something wrong with the gun? I will try benching it next week.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Well since I cant seem to find a recent optics thread.....

I bought a brand new in box Trijicon TA45-R for $600, did I do good? No base, has the red 8moa BDC reticle.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Brownells Oxpho Blue is supposed to be the best cold blue out there for DIY stuff, but paying $17 just in shipping for a 4oz bottle that costs under $10 is pretty lovely. Are there any other brands of cold blue that do a good enough job for touch ups that I could get locally or shipped from someone who doesn't have their head up their rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Won a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner, a brass/parts dryer, and some solutions to go with it one for brass one for gun parts. I think I got this figured out for the most part but I'm not sure if I can just toss in the whole loving gun (field strip) or do I have to completely take it apart ala detail strip first? I have no desire to take apart my mkii or cz75 frames every time I want to clean them.