Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if the adventures of Clive the Colt .45 were put up anywhere other than the now-archived thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thank you, I appreciate it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone know about how much a Savage 110 Lefty in .30-06 is worth? I saw one in the gun shop, first lefty I have seen there, and it is $250. So tempting, even though I was looking for a shotgun that I could use for hunting and HD.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think the second one. I lurked since some point in 2009, and Cyrano mentioned someone needed to take the username .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer in some discussion or another.

It even comes with a bushnell scope on it. I know bushnell isn't great, but it is better than nothing, right? Really tempted right now. I'll sleep on it, at least. I don't think we get enough left-handed shooters for it to sell in the last 2 hours they are open tonight.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Giant Isopod posted:

I went to the range yesterday to rent and shoot some .22 because I am a moron and my first (read: any) guns were not .22s and my accuracy sucks. I tried out the Sig Mosquito, which had very nice ergonomics but an awful trigger. I don't know if this is emblematic of the gun in general, or just that specific one. Range guns aren't known for being that well maintained.

When I turned it in, the guy at the range counter also said they aren't really the best for accuracy either. (Not that I would be able to tell :v: ) What's the TFR general consensus on the mosquito? I assume it isn't that highly regarded since it doesn't come up that often in the .22LR thread.

It looks like Sig Mosquitos tend to cost about as much as a buckmark. If you aren't looking to spend enough for a S&W 41 and you want a dedicated .22 rather than a conversion slide, get the buckmark. It has a great trigger, should be plenty accurate, although I am not a good enough shot to tell you for sure, and half of TFR owns one. If you have a problem they can probably tell you how to fix it.

One thing to remember with .22s is that they vary in what ammunition they like. For example, my buckmark treats minimags only slightly better than thunderbolts, but it absolutely loves golden bullets. Yes, Remington golden bullets, the cheap crappy ones.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The best part about measuring decibels is that it isn't really as precise as the +3=double. To be completely accurate you would have to say a certain decibel at a certain frequency, and even then I think it is more of a approximation than precise fit. I'm not a scientist, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gtab posted:

Fang is way too classy to kiss and tell
But technically, that wasn't kissing.

I agree with pitch in that a Glock 19 seems to fit your requirements, but you really do want to fire it before you buy it. I'm not sure if they make .22 conversion kits for Glocks, but some pistols do have a replacement slide that you could buy to fire .22 as well as whatever other round it is they fire. Since .22 tends to be about 5 cents a round as opposed to 30 or more, a .22 is nice to have as an option for range use and beginner practice. But I wouldn't use it as a self-defense weapon unless it was that or harsh language.

Edit: Does anyone know what a Benjamin Franklin 312 pellet rifle is worth these days? Gunbroker has them at anywhere from $125 to $250, which surprises me, and makes me wonder if those just never sell. My father has one, and while I don't think he wants to sell it (it shoots too nice), he has mentioned wondering what they go for.

He bought it in the late '60s to early '70s, if that matters.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 18, 2010

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mishaco has a thread a few pages back on the Vz. 58, there might be some differences with that version based on import laws, but it is probably good for basics.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I seem to remember hearing complaints about them being out of spec enough that a lot of accessories don't fit. Haven't looked into them much, though. Someone else could tell you better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

hangedman posted:

Makes perfect sense, thanks. A friend of mine recently bought a Sig / Hammerli Trailside and I was telling him it was a bad idea to dry-fire rimfire guns, but I was at a loss as to why, specifically.
buy a pack of snap caps, problem solved. They are ridiculously expensive compared to normal .22 bullets, but not as bad as needing to get a gunsmith to work on your gun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You should be careful about importing, though. US law considers magazines "items of war" or something along those lines. That's why I haven't bought the less than $1 each bundle of VZ58 magazines, or the $3 5 round hunting magazine from that czech website I can't remember the name of.

I think you need an FFL of some sort to bring them into the country, an FFL or IR35 could probably tell you the details.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does it base the value off of the amount it would cost to buy here, or the amount it cost you to buy it wherever you got it from? And I assume that it doesn't include shipping, since that isn't part of the value?

Because I'm still thinking about a VZ58, and being able to get 20 magazines for a few bucks a piece after shipping would be pretty awesome. And they have a lot of parts for it cheap, too.

Would there be any laws against selling any of it down the line, if I decided I didn't need 20 30 round magazines for some reason?

And yes, I would consult my (father's) lawyer before importing or selling spares to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws. Felonies aren't my idea of fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So do you do special orders on stuff that you don't have on your site, then? I assumed that what was on the site was what you had to sell.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you want to go the AK route, you could also buy a draco pistol and slap a stock on it once you get the paperwork done.

I don't really know what kind of trouble you would have, don't have experience with ARs. I will say that you should go whole hog, get a suppressor, and get it in .300 whisper, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Depends on what you are shooting it with. I assume we've all seen the Headshot Willie video?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Naramyth posted:

e: :lol: I was doing some :google:ing and wound up on redwolf airsoft. They have a airsoft mosin that is close to $1000. :aaa:

Yeah, it is pretty bizarre. It makes more sense when you realize that it is from Japan, though. They don't have the option of buying a real mosin, a normal spring airsoft gun, and putting the two together for a fraction of the price. And of course everything is more expensive in Japan even before you ship it to Hong Kong.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

About how long range would it be before a JSP and FMJ for the same chambering, bullet weight, and muzzle velocity had noticeably different trajectories? 7.5 swiss, if it matters.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can't find BCs for Prvi Partizan ammo, but I'm fairly sure they made as close a copy of GP11 as they could.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I should note that I said JSP anyway. Not JHP. Hornady makes A-Max loads for 7.5 swiss, but I'm pretty sure that is their normal range of bullets, not 174 grain ones.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What are the pressure specifications for .38 special +P and .357? And what velocities do they put out with a standard bullet weight (I have no idea what weights they tend to be in). The Mom Needs A Gun thread made me wonder, but I decided to be un-TFR and ask in the right thread rather than derailing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know there are pocket holsters, but I seem to remember there is a restriction against pocket holsters that allow the gun to be fired while still in holster. What is that under, or am I completely off?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I'm adjusting a front sight for windage, I should adjust the opposite way I want the group to go, right? I'm taking my K31 out for the first time tomorrow. Hopefully it's sighted in fine, but it might have gotten knocked around a bit by the gentle hands of UPS.

edit: And what should I use to adjust it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It makes a bigger boom than a .22 LR? I find a .22 WMR revolver fun to shoot, but I'm not sure how valid that is when it's a snubnose.

The k31's front sight is a chunk of metal with the sight attached, stuck inside a diagonal channel. You knock the sight forward or back, and it moves left or right as well. It's kind of weird, but it does seem like a simple, effective way of making the sight adjustable while keeping the leafs on the side to protect the sight.

Googling for a picture of the sight to make sure I was describing it right brought me to a picture of some bizarre sight adjustment tool. I guess I'll see if Numrich has one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I went to the range yesterday, and decided to take some pot-shots at the 100 yard target I had set up with my buckmark. I put a couple magazines through and walk up range to see how I did. I find a line going up almost the whole right side of the target, looks like a bunch of connecting bullet holes. But it's at 100 yards, I was firing from standing with a 4.5" buckmark with iron sights. Does anyone know what could have caused it? The target was hung on particle board held in metal rails. I hit the rail once, at least, but that just made the bullet splat and spray tiny holes in the paper.

I'd love to think that I was extremely consistent horizontally and just didn't get the sights at quite the right elevation to have a more consistent vertical group, but when I wasn't getting anywhere near that good groupings with a seated k31, I'm doubtful. Especially since that would mean that if I had gotten the vertical right, I would have gotten a ragged hole group from a stock buckmark with Remington golden bullets at 100 yards.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think you are thinking of Aquarium Gravel. He just works for a company that mainly gets distributed through Atlantic. I think it's Waffen Werks?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gtab posted:

EDIT: And so help me god WangCommander if you use this girl's trip to mention being a stupid loving archaeologist one more loving time
I thought WangCommander edited every single one of his posts to say something about it being stupid to argue on a forum dedicated to internet detectivery. Did he rereg?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

XXdragonsparkzXX posted:

I know that it takes about 200 milliamps to actually kill someone, and that all stun guns are measured in volts. So 1 million volts translates to about 4 milliamps.
Maybe in stun guns, but not in general. If that's true for stun guns, there is a shitload of resistance. I wouldn't be surprised if they are rating the voltage creatively.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

I like that the Rossi has a traditional Winchester action and feel, and I think the shorty 16" trapper carbine is super neat. I think the Marlin exhibits a higher overall build quality, but it doesn't have the traditional charm that the Rossi has. It's also about $80 more.
Isn't the Marlin 1894 from 1894? Was there some big change made at some point? I don't get the traditional charm thing.

I know I've seen a .45 LC Marlin with what I'm pretty sure was a 16" barrel. It looks like for 16" barrels in anything you are looking at limited runs, though. You could probably find a good used one. I have never gotten to fire one, but everyone I know that has one is at least positive about them, if not glowing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just a disclaimer: I don't personally handload, I've never tried this myself. If you handload and blow up your gun because you aren't being careful, it isn't my fault.

On the other hand, I know that the Ruger-level loads for .45 LC are right around .44 magnum power. I don't know if anyone makes those from the factory. If they do, it would probably be Buffalo Bore and Double Tap, that's their niche.

According to other people with Marlins/Winchesters in .45 LC, the actions are sturdy enough to handle Ruger loads, and obviously will get more power because of the longer barrel and no cylinder gap.

44 magnum is enough for deer, so a hot .45 would be fine. Depending on local hunting laws, you might have an issue. I know that in Colorado, there are different ft/lb requirements for pistol calibers and rifle calibers. Also, it wouldn't be a great long-range hunting round just because of the external ballistics. Unless you have a horribly burned left hand, a large hat, and a deep-seated hatred for bald eagles.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

E: Thermobollocks is just buttering me up for more UZI trigger time ;).
Is it working? Because I can pitch in on the compliments too if it is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it the one where you're holding the severed head of Elmo, or the mangled carcass of Winnie the Pooh?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

Word. I'm looking into grad school in Cascadia based mainly on TFR posts about the land of milk and honey. And I live in a state that is on the verge of passing permitless concealed carry and CCW-on-campus. It's that intriguing :allears: .
I'm really hoping that once I get out of college, I can get a job in Silicon Forest. I'll probably try for an internship in the area some summer before that. I like the idea of a place where it rains regularly. It's a novel idea, growing up in Colorado.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I remember right, the bayonets tend to be really expensive. That sounds like a decent price, especially if the bayonet matches (and wasn't force-matched).

Make sure to order some ammo, too. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I like turtles posted:

This is all many years old, though, and I have no idea if it was actually a doctor that told me this so I should probably check again.
Yeah, go ahead and check. I've got astigmatism and I wear contacts. I'm not sure how bad my astigmatism is. The package would say, but I have no idea which number that would be.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DasReich posted:

The German in me loves this machine for that reason, and wants pictures of it actually working.
Inside you or not, I'm pretty sure that's account sharing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the CLEO that needs to sign off on the NFA item always the county sheriff, or is it chief of police in cities, and sheriff outside of the city/in towns without a police department?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well look at mister fancy lawyer fed.

I knew that in some areas, sheriffs have jurisdiction in towns/cities, but I wasn't sure if the ATF wrote out more strict guidelines. I mean, the original intent for the tax stamps was to prevent anyone from owning them (since $200 adjusted for inflation is over $3000, and that was in the middle of the depression), so it makes sense to make the laws surrounding them as byzantine as possible.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I haven't shot a Ruger P90, but I have held one. It was chunky, it was ugly, but the grip felt great. I could definitely see getting one if you needed a cheap, reliable pistol. A used one should be around $CZ82, right? Right around the price of a cheap used S&W 3rd gen? I haven't paid too close attention, but I seem to remember that is roughly the price you'll find used ones at.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

hangedman posted:

We've hashed this out a few times here. IR35 and I are pretty big Smith advocates. In general, I think the S&W autoloaders are maligned a bit because they never really got off the ground in terms of law enforcement sales (which would have helped the legitimacy of the brand) and because the first and second generations of guns were pretty spotty in terms of reliability.
Wait, what? I was under the impression they were pretty common for police usage in that period between revolvers going out of fashion and Glock dominance. I know Buds and Summit have had police trade-in 59xxs.

I wasn't trying to say anything bad about the Smiths, I was just saying that you can generally find a used Ruger at the bottom end of old Smith prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So does the rest of California.