Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I looked for the lever gun thread, but the little angel has flown away.

I'm starting to get irritated with my Rossi 92 carbine. It's .357 Mag/.38 Spc and I can't get it to feed reliably for the life of me. FMJ round-nose .38s, flat-nose. .38s, lead flat-nose .357. Brisk cycling, slow cycling, different speeds all over. I haven't tried my Hornady Levereverevereverevolution yet but I would think that the cartridges I'm using would have fed properly by now.

Is this just kind of "the way model 92s are"? The accuracy is good and it's a nice looking gun, but I get cartridges failing to fully pop-up or jamming into the top of the barrel off the feed ramp regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

His Divine Shadow posted:

No thats not the way they are supposed to act. Goto: https://www.levergunscommunity.com and use the search function, you could also register but that takes a while. Those guys probably know all there is to know about levers.
I keep seeing Steve Young's name come up in relation to the Rossis (including on Paco's site), and from reading on Paco's forums, it looks like people have problems with the ejector spring and mag follower. I just wrote a letter to Steve Young; hopefully he can help address the feeding issues. It's a nice carbine otherwise.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sort of a weird topic, but I have a friend who is going overseas to Svalbard, Norway for a few months. Residents are required to carry a rifle in certain areas due to polar bears. I would like to lend her my Enfield since really all I do is dick around with it and if it's good enough for Nunavut rangers, it should be good enough for Svalbard.

Is anyone familiar with the process for a) lending someone a rifle b) shipping a rifle overseas c) shipping a rifle overseas to lend to someone? :pwn: If it makes any difference, I'm in California and she's in Washington (state).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cyrano4747 posted:

How about because she's borrowing a 60+ year old bolt action rifle from a friend for bear defense? Most experienced shooters own their own gear, or at least have preferences that have developed beyond using whatever a buddy who owns a gun happens to have on hand.
She is an experienced shooter but has not had a reason to own a firearm for a long time. I suggested loaning her my Enfield because a) walking around outside during the months she will be in Svalbard requires her to be armed with a rifle b) renting a rifle is expensive (one place I saw was 1000 NOK/$172 USD a week) and c) the No. 4 Enfield's action is known for being particularly reliable in cold weather environments, which is why they are used by Nunavut rangers.

Yes, a .303 Brit WW2 battle rifle is not ideal for polar bear defense but what is ideal is not always available to everyone. If it's too much of a hassle or if she has better options, that's totally fine. I just figured I'd ask to see what's involved.

Thanks to everyone who's offered feedback so far.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

poopgiggle posted:

No, it's really because the Enfield is the bolt rifle that Canada happened to have laying around.
Well, that's obvious enough but I've seen the "Enfield in cold weather = yesssss" tidbit repeated a lot. Is that just folklore?

EDIT: Apparently a lot of the stores there rent out Mausers. :downs:

rope kid fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 24, 2010