Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Cyrano4747 posted:

Leaf spring sights are universally bastards.

They leaf much to be desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Minto Took posted:

Will it be a waste of time this weekend to try and sight a scope on a Remington 742 (.308 Win) at 100 yards with Silver Bear?

(My dad bought the ammo, not me.)

At the very least, your elevation will probably be off from whatever ammo you finally end up using. You may also have difficulties getting the scope zeroed in as tightly as possible if your groups are over-large. If your scope has not yet been sighted in at all, though, using Silver Bear will reduce the amount of time and ammo the next trip takes.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Am I the only one who doesn't like boresnakes? I have a couple that I use with .22s, but I always supplement them with a Patchworm or the usual rod and brush. They seem ideal for .22s where you can't clean from the breech, but shoot them often enough that getting the bore perfectly clean is wasted effort. They're sucky for applying solvent or oil, and if you run it through enough that the brushes can have some effect, you're redepositing fouling on the metal. I'm considering ditching mine for an Otis pull-through .22 kit.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Catdonkey posted:

My guess is that you have your finger too far into the trigger guard. Make sure you pull the trigger with the last section in your finger. If you already are, try sliding your finger out just a little.

For years I would always shoot left, and finally figured out that I was pulling the trigger with the very very tip of my finger. I slid it in just a little and it brought the shots back to the center.

As a general principle, pull with the part of your finger that permits your trigger finger to move directly backward without any tendency to arc to the left or right.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Pitch posted:

How dare they require you to keep safety information on-hand for poisonous cleansers.

I think he's taken aback by the need to keep complex documentation around that nobody will read, even for very common products whose uses are well understood. MSDS sheets are normally associated with hazardous chemicals whose use constitutes an occupational hazard, so household cleaners which are considered safe to sell to everyone without an MSDS sheets seem a silly thing to require such documentation for.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

Seriously why do you even take issue with it at all? What the gently caress is possibly remotely wrong with needing to keep documentation for poisonous goods -- common or not -- around? What issue could you possibly take with a binder in a desk drawer somewhere containing two sheets of paper?

Good God man.

Just that it's unnecessary, pointless, and stupid. It also denotes a lack of judgement on the part of those enforcing safety rules and trivializes the safety rules that are relevant.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

Explain how you think it denotes a lack of judgment or trivializes workplace safety to have the chemical data for poisonous substances available to workers.

I don't have to explain it because that isn't what I said.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

because the government hates lawsuits and more than that it hates paying for lawsuits so any possible means it can extend to prevent mishaps or remove responsibility for ignorance and misuse of remotely hazardous materials or objects is a very good thing.

any major organization will do the same to cover its rear end, and it should not be remotely surprising to you that a branch of the US government which deals with firearms, explosives, AVGAS, radioactive material, giant loving turbines, and god knows what else, also wants to protect its interests from frivolous lawsuits or claims against it by providing a modicum of supervisory safety guidelines and documentation.

your reaction to their concern for your safety, their bottom line, and the tax dollars that pay for both of those is completely ridiculous. much of safety is "inconvenient" and whining about it just makes you look like a petulant child who has to wear a seatbelt

I think you've taken this troll far enough.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

WimpBastard posted:

On the one hand, I've seen military personnel do some amazingly stupid things. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect those people to read an MSDS before doing something amazingly stupid.

You don't understand, the MSDS is there because they care about your safety, so it uh keeps you safe and stuff.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Does anyone make a riser rail that's 0.75" high? It needs to have at least three slots, but be no more than 4.5" long.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Lono was taken posted:

Whats a good cheek rest for an M1A

Karsten rests. You'll have to drill your stock, though.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

The_Franz posted:

Not counting the keyboard commandos who hate it because it's not an AR or because it weighs a pound more than an AR which is apparently too much for their low-speed high-drag 300lb rear end to haul around the house...

:swoon:

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Bobcats posted:

So I just had a misfeed with my beloved 9mm P239 in the middle of a magazine. This is about round 2000 on this gun and I've replaced nothing on it since purchase.

The round "noseupped" into the top of the breech and the slide pinned it there. The cartridge didn't clear the mag's feed lips.

What could have caused this? I'm guessing the probable cause for this kind of malfunction is limpwristing.

I suspect it might be the opposite. Limpwristing robs a slide of its momentum but what happened here sounds like the round was jarred forward by the slide slapping the frame so that it ended up either escaping the mag lips and tilting up under follower pressure or sitting at too high an angle so that it was able to hit the top of the chamber. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about when you say that it "noseupped into the top of the breech."

I'm gonna predict that this happened near or at the end of a magazine, and that the previous round was one of the +P+ rounds. If that's the case, your magazine springs might be getting weak.

Bobcats posted:

I'm going to go against the advice of the hardcore "defense enthusiasts" and not junk the gun because of one malfunction.

As the saying goes, if your gun hasn't jammed on you, you're not shooting it enough.

Bobcats posted:

I'm no engineer but does higher pressure ammo result in less load time as it gives more oomph to the slide?

It might. The pressure itself is irrelevant: The gun is locked up while the barrel is under pressure or you'd know it, but the overall momentum transmitted to the slide may be greater. The slide probably picks up more momentum, which could cause a sharper frame slap at the end of its travel. I've got no clue whether the slide actually bounces off the frame enough to make a difference.

My theory is that your mag springs are getting weak, and maybe your recoil spring, too. This let one round slip forward in the magazine and escape the feed lips enough to tilt at too high an angle when feeding, forcing premature cam-up of the barrel and disrupting the feed.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Secret Ooze posted:

Ive been watching the Tactical Carbine DVDs this weekend and had a question for you fellows, since I cant ask the :bustem: god himself:

I see Costa and Trav running drills where they take a few shots and put their AR on safe. Im just curious about how they are getting it on safe?

It sounds incredibly stupid, but let me explain. Whenever Ive handled an AR rifle, I always have to adjust my grip to put the weapon back on safe. They just seem to flip it with the greatest of ease. Even with an extended safety switch, I imagine I would have to readjust my man-claws to flip it back on safe. Is there some kind of technique to it that I havent heard of?

It's tricky to do without shifting your grip, the OBJECTIVELY SUPERIOR AR ERGONOMICS notwithstanding. I noticed Costa and Haley kind of contorting their grips to snap the safeties back on in the videos.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

MrKatharsis posted:

They're garbage. I owned one and it was a horrible experience. That thing could barely manage 100 rounds without jamming, even if it was sparkling clean at the start.

Well, it IS an AR...

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

ZebraBlade posted:

Some red dot sights yes, others kinda....

Parallax or some poo poo like that, google it. I don't use red dots because of my lolawesome astigmatism so I stick with 1-4x. Unless I am mistaken and the dot on any aimpoint and eotech is supposed to looks like a star exploding and fill 1/2 the lens.

Try mounting the dot for an absolute cowwitness with your irons. The collimating effect of the aperture may compensate somewhat for the astigmatic defect in your eyes.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

DkHelmet posted:

When talking n MOA at the target end, does it describe a circle around POI with a diameter of n or a radius of n?

Neither. It is the arc between the two most distant holes where the center of the arc is the muzzle of the gun. A 2 MOA group is about 2 inches at 100 yards, 4 inches at 200 yards, etc.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Uncle Caveman posted:

The best sling to use as an actual shooting aid is still the US 1907:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/slinguse.htm

Turner makes the best service slings I've seen.

Also, a decent low-cost alternative is the canvas Service sling:

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm

I prefer the service sling style, personally. The finer degree of tension control seems to compensate for any loss in consistency.

It should be noted that any sling that attaches directly to the barrel has an upper limite on the tightness with which one can sling up before it starts affecting POI.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

Nothing.

Wow, way to make a racist look relatively mature and restrained. You can pretty much make even the most morally and intellectually sound stance look retarded, can't you?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

I'm looking at getting some glasses that can double as prescription sunglasses and shooting glasses. Is there any reason not to get a pair of Wiley-X Romer IIs?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

A Glock is a silly handgun with which to start; something SAO would be better so that the shooter gets used to a handgun designed to maximize its potential instead of getting the idea that a crappy trigger, excessively wide design, and being prone to limpwristing is a normal thing.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Pitch posted:

In blowback the pressure of the gas pushes forward on the bullet and backward on the slide. The bullet moves forward, the slide moves backward. It's very simple but but you need relatively heavy springs and slides to deal with the pressure.

One fun fact I read was that to make a straight blowback action capable of shooting .30-06, you'd need a blowback slide or block that weighed 24 pounds.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

thermobollocks posted:

Let me know how you like it so I don't have to find out myself!

I own a Stoegar 12-gauge O/U that I use to break clays into smaller pieces or clays or (as is more often the case) send a blast of #7 shot into thin air slightly to the left or right of a clay. It's a great gun, points well, and the selective ejectors are very handy. My dad used to bring along his 870 when shooting clays, but now just uses my O/U. It should be noted that if you use a Mossberg, the tang safety on the Stoegar will reinforce good habits.

The downside to the gun is that the fit and finish isn't that great. The seam between the buttstock and the buttpad isn't perfect and the polish level on the finish is slightly inconsistent depending on location. The checkering on some examples is of the cheap, shallow variety. The shotgun is mechanically fine, but you may be disappointed if you like your over/unders to look like they cost more than the car you used to drive to the range.

Fang fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 19, 2010

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

thermobollocks posted:

Stoegers cost more than at least one of my cars did. :v: By selective ejectors do you mean the manual variety? I was under the impression that automatic ejectors would be both, so you'd pop out a live shell if you only fired one barrel.

I thought selective ejectors meant you just popped out the shell that had been fired. That's what mine does.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Boresnakes are useless for anything beyond cursory cleaning. I use them for knocking the larger chunks out of my heavily-used .22s' bores, but the phrase "cleaning with a boresnake" is an oxymoron.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

How is it oxymoronic if it does what the phrase says, just to a lesser degree than "perfect"?

I agree that they aren't all you need to clean a gun, I'm just curious if the definition of oxymoron is larger than I thought?

If a boresnake is not all you need to clean a barrel, then saying that a barrel is cleaned with a boresnake would be an oxymoron.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

hangedman posted:

Would you mind giving us a general rundown of the procedure you use and the amount of time involved? It could be useful to a lot of us who figure that boresnakes are "good enough" for the task at hand.

I'm one of those people who typically feel that "cleaning" is something I need to do just enough to have my firearms continue to function. For better or for worse, until my .357s develop rings from shooting .38s that make chambering the magnum rounds more difficult, or until I can feel the slides of my autoloaders getting a little sluggish, I typically don't clean my guns.

I'm a clean freak, and consequently it takes me quite some time to clean my guns. My preferred method is to use either M-Pro 7 Bore-Tech Eliminator according to their instructions. (This usually involves swabbing with a wet patch several times, scrubbing with a wet brush, swabbing with a wet patch again, letting it sit for several minutes, then following with dry swabs until they're clean.) The Bore-Tech is a good cleaner and also does well at incrementally removing copper fouling; however, M-Pro 7 is better at breaking down fouling; I use it for cleaning areas that require a solvent to remove carbon, but don't accumulate copper fouling. (e.g. gas pistons, breech faces, AR bolt carriers). Every so often I pull out all the copper fouling with an application of KG-12, preceding it with a standard M-Pro 7 cleaning to permit concentrating on the copper.

For rifles, I use only a patch puller and a brush because all the jags I've tried are just too tight. Jags work great for handgun bores, though.

When cleaning up minor fouling that doesn't require solvent, I use a rag soaked with oil, wrapped around one of those toothbrush-looking nylon cleaning brushes to reach crevices. This is followed by a dry rag to remove any remaining oil or dirt.

I'm not even going to go into my tweezers, toothpicks, and q-tips.

Gtab posted:

Wouldn't that just be incorrect? Isn't an oxymoron a pair of words which are directly contradictory or incongruous to one another? Jumbo shrimp, etc?

A barrel cleaned halfway, but not entirely, by an item doesn't make it an oxymoron, I don't think?

edit: for real and cannot stress this enough: I'm not trying to be a prick I'm just a nerd

You can also have oxymorons based on the meaning of words. The interpretation I'm using is that you can't get a barrel completely clean with a boresnake, so cleaning a barrel with a boresnake is impossible. If you're thinking of the act of cleaning, then the oxymoron doesn't appear.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

On the subject of WWII-era studies, does anyone know the name of the study that launched Project Salvo? I'm referring to the one that examined thousands of after-action reports from WWII and concluded that the side that fired the most bullets won, so therefore the best weapon would be one that fired a lot of bullets. This always seemed laughably facile, and I assume that there was some level of statistical discernment applied to the data. But I can't remember what what the study was called, which would be a prerequisite for further research.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

...Yes that is literally the point of the cliched phrase I used...?

The only problem is when attempts to fight the last war actually cause weapons design to move backwards, such as when the military moved to the jam-o-matic poodle shooter.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Kommienzuspadt posted:

yes. they are referring to all of its ergonomics and its various features that make it distinct + any of its goofy accessories too so its not just the "gun" per se but also all the things that it uses to perforate things at far distances, but basically its another needlessly technical term that is designed to make them sound like they know what they're talking about.

This, plus more syllables = more THE TACTICAL. "Making movement" has four syllables, but "moving" only has two. "Weapon system," at four syllables, has four times the THE TACTICALITY of "gun." "Engage" has only twice the syllables of "shoot," but it does tacitly acknowledge THE TACTICAL's view of actually hitting the target as an optional bonus.

Note that more syllables is not the only metric of THE TACTICALity. Often, THE TACTICAL terminology will prefer a word or phrase that is more concise; e.g. "urban prone" instead of "rollover prone." Where THE TACTICAL is concerned, it's alright to sacrifice precious syllables if the choice reduces the amount of information that is conveyed per syllable. Current Tier One operators in the sandbox are said to be able to lecture forcefully for five minutes without communicating any information at all, a skill that gives a crucial edge to the modern warfighter in dynamic CQB engagement situational scenarios.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

.308 wasn't used in Korea either. it didnt even exist.

It did exist; it was available two years before the military even started issuing 7.62x51mm.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

I'm looking for a locking hard-shell rifle case between 27 and 36 inches long and 6 inches deep or less. Bonus points if it has provisions for cable-locking it to something. Anyone know of such a creature?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Atticus_1354 posted:

Will this storm case work? It is 36 on the inside and 39 on the exterior.

http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM3100.htm

It's 6.7 inches deep, unfortunately.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're out of money just go buy a can of non-CL brake cleaner and spray it down liberally. That poo poo's about $3 for a big 'ol spray can.

Take off your grips if they're plastic, as that poo poo likes to eat plastic. You should probably take them off if they're wood since it also likes to stain wood, or at least pull all the oils out of it and leave it looking really nasty.

Also relubricate after spraying, as brake cleaner will remove any protective oils.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Frag Viper posted:

Ok seems easy to do, I still feel kinda bad though.

So now that you assholes told me to move on, lets talk about what the money proceeds will go to.

SCAR-H
I only have one 7.62 rifle right now and that's my MIA (which I will also be selling). Im kind of just over the M14. Its as long as a loving telephone pole, heavy, and im just kinda done with it in general.

I had the pleasure of shooting a SCAR-H and kinda fell in love. So the question is this.

Is it a worthy replacement for my M1A?

Have you looked at FALs?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I can tell you from my own stupidityexperience that Czech light ball 7.62x54r will do that to a target that eats M855 all day

It's as if one is a real rifle round and the other is an anemic varmint pellet whic its recoil=shy advocates like to represent as an acceptable alternative.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Uncle Caveman posted:

True for me on both counts. Like an idiot, I bolted my safe to the floor without leaving enough clearance from the wall to fit a cord through the little access hole.

Is sticking a box of desiccant in the back of the safe and changing it out every few weeks/months a suitable alternative? Are there battery-powered Goldenrod equivalents?

I use the dessicant pack and thus far have not experienced rust. However, one night this hairless racoon with a strange ridge of quills down its spine climbed up one wall of my house and spent several hours shrieking very loudly until I knocked it down with a convenient tree branch, which was when it tried to bite my ankles forcing me to run back into the house. Despite all this, no rust has yet appeared on my guns.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Totally TWISTED posted:

Someone tell me what loctite to use on my optics screws (AR15, CZ 452). << This is a question.

Purple.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Wouldn't this gear discussion fit better in the gear thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'd buy one. Or one of those sweet tiny Leupold red dots, they look boss

edit: these http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/prismatic-riflescope/ how cool do they look

I don't think those correct for parallax. Aren't they just cross-hairs etched onto a pane of glass?