Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Inspector_71 posted:

Conversely, will firing bog-standard Wolf out of my Mini-14 gently caress it up? I know I've heard that I shouldn't use steel-cased rounds but I dunno if that's backed up by anything.

Pretty much I'm saying what's the cheapest brand I can find that won't gently caress up my Mini-14/any AR I find in my travels.

I have basically the same question about steel-cased ammo, but for an M1 carbine. I thought I remember hearing about one gun where the extractor is hard to find or a bitch to change, so using steel-cased is kind of a no-no. Hoping it's not the M1, because I just bought 50 rounds of Tula ammo at the gun show today :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Kind of a stupid newbie question, but is Hoppe's #9 safe to use on a polymer pistol (M&P to be specific)? Or is CLP or non-chlorinated brake cleaner the way to go here? I just don't want to gently caress up my gun :ohdear:

EDIT: Google search didn't come up with any real consensus on whether or not it's ok.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, Hoppe's is pretty tame compared to some cleaners. We've been using it on our Glocks and HKs for years.

Thanks thermo and IR35. Just for future reference, the non-Cl brake cleaner and CLP are kosher too, right?

I feel kind of silly having to ask this, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

charliebravo77 posted:

Losing 50-100lbs certainly wouldn't be bad for me :btroll:

edit- M&P owners: Do your rounds rattle in your mags? Both of mine rattle when fully loaded :(

Mine might make a little bit of noise if I shake the poo poo out of them, but otherwise no. Mine's a full-size .40

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Propagandalf posted:

No, FFL to FFL only. I bought one of those USPs. I showed the link to my usual transfer FFL guy, he placed the order, and I paid him instead of SOG. It was actually easier than ordering straight from SOG.

Speaking of SOG, their latest flyer is advertising some K98s for around $279. At this price, I'm assuming they're probably RCs?

EDIT: I know G43 is advertising an RC K98 in the classifieds as well. I really need to pay off the M1c I bought first. So many guns, so little monies :ohdear:

Dirk Diggler fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 14, 2010

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Has anyone with an M&P tried the Apex Tactical sear and striker block (here)? I want to improve the gritty lovely trigger on mine and this looks like the best/easiest way. Just wondering if anyone has any experience before I buy them.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Anyone have experience with night vision scopes? My dad for some reason is interested in getting one and I was looking at this one. The thing that's confusing me is that there are reviews out there that talk about not being able to see the reticle in daylight, and that the user's guide recommends sighting in at night (didn't see that myself though). Are these basically crap in the daytime then? From reading there seems to be a daylight filter that looks like the lens cap with a hole in the middle, can it be used with that?

Also, how would he mount this to his rifle? Is there an adapter out there to convert a receiver tapped for scope rings to a weaver/picatinny rail?

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

I expected a few responses, but not a whole page and a half of discussion. You guys have outdone yourselves. I think I'm going to go another direction with his Christmas present and hopefully the price of NV technology will come down some more. I unfortunately don't have the money to spend 4 figures on a present; if I did I would have a lot more/better guns.

Thanks everyone for your help. :krad:

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

I live about a couple hours drive from the CMP North store. If I wanted to buy a CMP service grade Garand, would I be better off making the drive and selecting one in person or just mailing the form off (I think it goes to CMP South) and trusting them to send me a good one? Has anyone been to CMP North lately who can tell me what kind of a selection they have/had?

Also, I think I remember someone recommending putting a note on the order form for USGI wood only. Is this necessary or no?

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

wilfoy posted:

This clip focuses on how to use your support hand, but there's some good close-ups of where you should be shouldering the rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZi_kDkOjIQ

I don't know if Youtube shows the same suggested videos for everyone, but after clicking the quoted link, the third one down for me is titled "Girl gets hit by recoil". It shows how NOT to shoulder a rifle, unless of course you enjoy having the buttplate slip off your shoulder and the scope hit you in the face.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

RE: ranges

I would be much, much more willing to pay for a membership if the ranges weren't dickheads about bringing guests. I want to take my friends to a rifle range but it's strictly members-only with the exception of their first visit. Charge me five or ten bucks or something, I don't care. Just let me bring my friends. :(

The range I go to is the same way, only one guest allowed per trip and they can only be a guest once. Only thing is, for one no one ever checks membership cards (I've only ever gotten a "You a member here?", never had to actually show it.) Two, if you find a time where no one else is there, it really doesn't matter.

For $25/year though, I'm not going to complain too much.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, go ahead and check. I've got astigmatism and I wear contacts. I'm not sure how bad my astigmatism is. The package would say, but I have no idea which number that would be.

I have astigmatism in my left eye and wear a special ("toric" I think they're called) contact in that eye. I think on your prescription, the number under cylinder measures the astigmatism, but I don't know how to interpret it.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

The Sphinxster posted:

I saw one that was black on blue text at the top. I have only seen the one with the animated gif for the bottom.

Are you talking about the one where one picture is: guy with beard and spherical hair QuarkMartial, Pitch's avatar, a Mosin (I think), a bird, and Micromancer with that Rohm in his mouth, then the other picture is a Cyrano post? That's the one I keep seeing at the bottom.

Dirk Diggler fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 19, 2011

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's the first picture. That one just disturbs in new and exciting ways for some reason.

:stare:

The last one is the one that bugs me. It kind of looks like a reversed brony version of tubgirl with the tail as the fruity pink shitstream.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

So I drive 45 minutes to the outdoor range only to find out that it's not open on Mondays and Tuesdays :what:

Heh, I drove a half-hour to my range this weekend (on one of the worst state roads known to man, gently caress you OH-47) which was supposed to be open after noon. Some dude just randomly closed it to work on installing extra shooting lanes or something. For $25/year it's hard to really bitch and it's good that they're working to improve it, but post on your website that it's gonna be closed or build a email list so you can notify people for unscheduled closures. So much for shooting my new Buckmark. :argh:

I did find a range that's only 5-10 minutes away instead so I have to go check the place out this weekend. Hopefully they have open membership.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Faltion posted:

I'm at a point in my collection where I feel the need for a gun safe, but I don't know the first thing about selecting one. I only have a few rifles, so nothing large is necessary. My wife and I are renters and frequent movers (military) so anything excessively large is a detriment and bolting to the floor is not possible. It's more of a peace of mind thing to have my weapons secured rather than strategically hidden around the house, since we don't have kids to worry about. Any sort of recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like a modular safe is what you're looking for. If you have a Sam's Club membership or know someone that does, this safe is one possibility, but awfully expensive for what you're getting. Look at Snap Safes, Zanotti Armor (although they usually have a waiting list), and Dakota Safe (which is what I have).

Realize that none of these are going to do more than slow down a determined thief with time and tools, but is more to deter some smash and grab crackhead or kids. Also, even though you rent it's still a good idea to bolt it down to the wall studs or something to keep a thief from just grabbing the whole thing or tipping it over to make it easier to break into. Just patch the holes in the drywall before you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

Mortabis posted:

If I'm ordering a gun from budsgunshop should I actually contact the FFL before shipping even if he's on the preferred list? I'm just a little bit hesitant about it because I'm looking at the address for most of these and they're in residential neighborhoods, which leads me to believe they're pretty low volume.

Depends on how well you know your FFL. I have a scan of my FFL's license on my computer and I've transferred a fair amount of stuff through him, so I just order stuff and send him an email afterward letting him know it's coming. He's never had an issue with it.

Someone I've never used before? I'd call/email him beforehand just to make sure (1)he's still in business/doing transfers and (2)how much the transfer fee is or that it hasn't been raised.