Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Secret Ooze posted:

UPDATE

Not too long ago I inquired about he legalities of machining an AR lower.

After speaking with members of the CNC Gunsmithing forum and a consultation with an attorney, it appears that as long as I am the person that presses the 'Go' button and the lower is for me; I am 100% legal.

I will be taking it a step further by keeping my cousins role 'supervisory.'

I've just devised a brilliant money making scheme for the crowd. Set up a machine shop where all the batshit-anti-government-UN gonna take my guns-nuts can come in, press a button, and out pops a machined lower receiver with no serial (since it's not required for firearms you manufacture yourself for your own use). Charge them $200 for it and live the good life. You'd have to have a big client list beforehand though, cause I'm sure the ATF would shut you down within a day of being in business. Anyone who attempts this owes me 30% of profits for the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

walrusman posted:

From a friend:

This is going on a flattop AR in 5.56, dunno what he thinks he'll shoot .308 out of but meh. I'm thinking Bushnell or Nikon in that range but I own zero scopes.

GroovinPickle posted:

Over in the long-range shooting thread someone just bought a Bushnell 3200 10x40 for under $200 and he likes it. It seems to fit your buddy's needs. For a little bit more money maybe look at he SWFA Super Sniper scopes. I don't have any experience with these, but they seem to be well-liked for the money.

That'd be me. For $200 or less the best scope for the money for a center-fire rifle is the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 Tactical. It's $189 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-Elite-10x40mm-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AFN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276702591&sr=8-1 it's a bare bones fixed 10x scope but it has a mil-dot reticle, large target turrets with revolution markings (a lot of the cheaper mil-dot/target scopes don't have these), and is well made.

If he's willing to go to $300, the SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 would be my next recommendation since it has slightly better optics and more importantly, adjustable parallax from 10yds-infinity.

Above $300, the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 or 4-12(14?)x42 would be my next choice.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

walrusman posted:

Great, thanks for the info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936883&pagenumber=45#post378372888 Here's a few quick photos of the scope and a comparison to a cheaper "budget" option. Definitely worth a look.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, are most gun owner super-anal about keeping all them scratches of their guns? I made the mistake of shooting my friends pistol, then placing on the "concrete table".

A few of my guns get beat up and it doesn't bother me, like my AR-15, R700, G23, and 10/22, but I try to avoid scratching up my Savage MkII-BV with it's nice laminate stock and deep bluing, or my Remington 870 since it's my first gun, or K31 since it's already been beat to hell.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

Back to gear for a second here. Does anyone have experience or reviews of this offering from BCM? It looks like exactly what I want if I decide not to just hang everything off of my belt.

That looks awesome, but gently caress is it expensive

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Sorry, this isn't a question about a physical gun I own, it's a question about ballistics, and about a fictional show. I just figured one of you guys would know the answer.

So I'm watching "The Wire" and the characters are talking about a guy who tried to kill himself by shooting himself in the heart with a .44 caliber handgun. This prompts eye-rolls from the police, and it's revealed that he ended up with a nonfatal "contact wound" and a nickname for being stupid.

So, my question is: why doesn't shooting yourself at point-blank with a .44 completely destroy whatever part of yourself you aim it at?

While The Wire is one of the most realistic and greatest cop shows to ever air, they seem to have made a bit of an error in this case. While I don't remember this particular episode, it is possible that the gun wasn't pointed directly towards his chest, or the bullet glanced off of bone. However, a .44 magnum pointed directly center mass would cause a serious amount of damage.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Fremry posted:

I think I want to clean the hell out of my WASR. Problem is that the inside of the receiver has a lot of very fine metal shavings from where the magwell was milled out.

How do I go about getting these metal shavings out? Last time I tried it, I ended up with tiny metal shards in my fingers.

If hosing it down with some sort of liquid/aerosol and rags aren't working, maybe try a strong magnet.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

I am looking for an inexpensive .22-250 or similar caliber rifle, bolt action, synthetic stock. This is to be used for some long-distance snapping turtle destruction.

Those fuckers decimated the wood duck population this year

I am thinking Savage Edge .22-250. Goes for about $300 retail.

I don't know how resilient snapping turtles are, but a Savage 93R17 in .17HMR can be had for like $260 with a "decent" scope http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24146

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

jacert posted:

Were gonna need a bigger boat.

.338 Lapua

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

Actual question:
Has anyone here flown commercially with a firearm? In checked baggage, obviously. How has it worked out for you?
This link has tons of info http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/ They also rate all the major airlines as to ease of flying with firearms.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I dunno, I have pretty small hands and have no problems flipping on and off safe without really adjusting my grip. Right handed/no ambi safety

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I don't really shift my grip per se, just loosen up my index finger a bit so I can get my thumb underneath the lever. Do that many people really have a problem with it? I'll take a quick video when I get home from work, but I can't imagine anyone really having issues with it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Cycloneman posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but what firearm would you folks say is best for urban warfare? Thanks in advance.
Depends on what urban area you are in. For any major city ie, NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. I'd choose this:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Gewehr 43 posted:

Anyone have any good scope recommendations for mounting on a Savage .308? Got a friend looking to do 300-400 yard range shooting. No hunting. He's got a fairly modest budget, so I think mid-low end would be great. Basically he's looking for the most bang for the buck.

Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-Elite-10x40mm-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AFN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282316473&sr=8-1

Great clarity for the price, mil-dot with reset-able target turrets, under $200. I have one on my R700 and I like it a lot, though I've only put a few rounds through it. It's worlds better than the Walmart special $80 4-16x scope I had on it before.

If a variable power scope is a requirement, I'm quite happy with my Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 AO on my Savage MkII http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-Dusk-4-12x40-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282316681&sr=8-1

No idea how it would hold up on a .308 though.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 20, 2010

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

e: For a few dollars more, Midway has the version with 1/10 mil adjustment, so the mil-dots will actually be useful for making corrections without having to convert MOA to mil.

AAAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! I didn't even know that existed!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Whiteboy posted:

Are there any good elastic shell carriers that slip over the butt of a shotgun? The one I have has cheap stitching in it making only 4 out of the 6 holders useful. I really don't want to get one of those plastic ones that I need to drill into the stock to attach.

I've never used one that was worth buying. I have one but the only thing its good for is keeping the shells I take out of the gun with it when I transport it. They always slide around when you pull the trigger. One bolted to the stock or receiver is much more useful.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I've been thinking of something for a little while. A lot of us bitch about being fat and needing to drop some pounds. I know I could slim down. Would TFR participate in some kind of watch and weight TFR edition?

You can't drop those tangos if your winded.

Losing 50-100lbs certainly wouldn't be bad for me

edit- M&P owners: Do your rounds rattle in your mags? Both of mine rattle when fully loaded

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 22, 2010

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Secret Ooze posted:

Ive noticed on my Steyr that depending on how many rounds are in the mag, it will rattle. Fully loaded usually doesnt rattle at all.

Maybe try taking the mag apart and cleaning the inside? I would imagine more serious issues if the follower was getting bound up, but it couldnt hurt, right?

First thing I tried

They're brand new and have had maybe 400rds through them between the two. Pretty much spotless on the inside.

The follower does seem a little oddly shaped, as if it might have been meant for a 9mm instead of .40S&W, but they're engraved .40.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

walrusman posted:

But a Benelli or Saiga doesn't afford me the opportunity to put on my official Australian adventurer hat and skulk around in my shrubs.

clever girl

Jurassic Park is the only reason that I want a SPAS-12. One day I will buy one and do exactly what you mentioned.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whats a good non drop-leg holster then? For a single stack 1911. Something that allows a good fast draw without being a pure competition holster.

I love my Ready Tactical holster and mag carriers.

It's marketed as a competition holster, but I guess you could use it for just about anything.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Holster_p/rdt.204.htm

They also have one that isn't "competition" but the photo looks identical to mine so I'm not sure what the differences are.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Holster_p/rdt.203.htm

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Anjow posted:

My problem is I don't know where to start. I can't get my head around the calculations to figure it out for myself, despite trying. Also, unfortunately I only have a maximum of 35y to work with when pinning things up to look at, since that's the largest range we have at the airgun club and I don't have any land of my own.

Check out this excel file I made up to do basic mil-dot ranging: http://chrisbrennerphoto.com/other/TFR/Mil-Dot%20Ranging%20Program.xls

Just enter in the height or width of the target in inches, and the corresponding height or width in mils and it should tell you the estimated range.

When I started learning about mil-dot ranging and the like, I was lucky in that I had a big open field outside my bedroom window that I could look out through at houses and the like across the way. I just picked out a few objects that I was relatively sure of the size of like fire hydrants, basketball nets, cars, mailboxes, etc. and started approximating range on them all.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

dhrusis posted:

Are eotech sites 'fuzzy' to anyone else? I can't seem to get a nice clean sight picture with this 512 (AA version)...

I've noticed indoors that it appears fuzzy most of the time, but outside in daylight it's nice and crisp.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Sylink posted:

How profitable are shooting ranges?

How much is your time and energy worth to you?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Sylink posted:

I was just curious if they are bogged down with insurance costs.

I am pretty worthless so not much.

Liability insurance would be a big cost. There have been a few threads discussing the logistics of opening a range over the years here, the most recent one is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3202178

Unfortunately, I can't find the one that had a ton of information in it. However, the NRA has a guide book that answers a lot of questions one might have about opening a range. http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Frag Viper posted:

Dear TFR,

Would any of you sell your very first gun to fund something more awesome? Or would you feel like an rear end in a top hat?

Mine was my Wingmaster, and there's no way I'm selling it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Professor Awesome posted:

I think it's gone into archives. It was called ".17 HMR: Faster than goons chasing bacon" or something like that but I haven't seen it in forever
It was archived. Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2799547

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bogon posted:

Whats the going rate on a decent condition colt python?

Edit also what are the firearm laws for Illinois specifically for pistols I have a line on a python but it belongs to a co-workers mother that got it from her Husband when he died 20 or some years ago. Im trying to save her form getting hosed over by some pawn shop or gun dealer or getting the cops called on her(I know Illinois has some hard rear end laws but I don't really know the specifics).

What municipality are we talking? In Illinois you need to have a FOID card to buy, sell, or possess any firearm. If either party is a Chicago resident it's a little tricky, especially if they don't have a FOID or Chicago Firearm Permit.

Basic overview of IL laws: http://isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm and http://isp.state.il.us/media/docdetails.cfm?DocID=557

If you have any more specific questions I'll try to answer as best I can.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bogon posted:

I really don't know if she has a FOID card but going on a hunch I really doubt it. Shes pretty much scared shitless of the thing and wants it out of the house. Its going to be an out of state Transfer from Illinois to North Carolina. As for what area all I know right now is its a suburb south of Chicago.

It's a little tricky in this situation. My guess is that the only immediate option she has to get rid of it is to surrender it to the police, who will likely destroy it. You might want to call around to some gun shops IL and propose a hypothetical situation and see if they know any way to handle it. My suggestion would be for her to apply for a FOID (it should take approximately 30 days to get one) and then transfer it to a FFL in NC. Theoretically if you find a FFL in NC that will accept a transfer from a non-FFL they'll never know the difference if they don't know IL law, but I wouldn't bet the possibility of criminal charges on it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I just put some Pirelli Scorpion ATRs on my Trailblazer and have been pretty pleased this winter. The only time I had to turn on 4wd was when the roads were covered in a sheet of ice. Snow is no problem for these and they aren't even winter tires.

Also, $75/tire? Goddamn I wish I had a small car again

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Three part question:

1) Is the TRL-1 still the best deal in weapon lights?

2) I am having little luck finding a holster for an FNP45 w/ a light attached. I want to keep it in a holster for nightstand duty so I am even fine with Uncle Mikes or whatever, I just want something to cover the trigger guard.

3)I am also looking for night sights for said FNP45. Other then XS and Trijicon who else makes decent ones?

TLR-1s is the best bang for the buck in weapon mounted lights. As for a holster: http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com/product_info.php?products_id=1633

Be prepared to wait though Or drive to the Indy 1500 gun show in March and get one in person.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Cool, thanks. How long is their wait usually?

Also I live far from Indy but if the wait is super long I might be willing to fund the purchase of some jerky if an accommodating goon were to buy one and mail it too me.

Right now you're looking at about 18 weeks if you order one online. needknees and I will probably be going to the Indy show in March, so we might be able to work something out at that time.

edit- I forgot, they don't have blue guns and poo poo to mold from at the show, so I'd have to have a FNP45 there in person to make the holster

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Balls. How much jerky would it take to get you to buy one?

About $500 worth of jerkey.

http://www.calsentllc.com/page04.html this place makes Raven knockoffs, with a considerably shorter production time. They don't list the FNP45 on their site, but they may be able to make one for you.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

What the heck what kind of ranges cost that much? I was just complaining about how mine cost $30/year with a first time $30 starting fee.

Now I feel bad.

There's a semi-local range here that used to be like $800 to join and $400 a year. They've recently dropped their fees I just learned, to $280 initiation and $280 a year. I'm seriously considering it too, since they've got a 600yd range and a bunch of other facilities.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Lunchboxx posted:

What range? Details, STAT!

Aurora Sportsmans Club
http://www.aurorasc.org/

There's an informational meeting for prospective members on the 12th. I'll probably be going to it just to see the facilities and decide if it's worth $600 to start and ~$300/yr.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Am I crazy if I want a Beretta Cx4 really bad for some reason?

Are they pieces of crap? What should I get it chambered in? I was thinking 9mm but I really have no idea. How far can I expect to be firing this thing?

CX4s are great, they're probably the most well made new pistol caliber carbine you can get that isn't an AR conversion. I would probably get one in .40 myself, since most of my handguns are .40, but 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and you could fit more in a mag. You could probably expect reasonable (minute of dinner plate) accuracy to 150yds, though I've not shot one at that kind of distance before.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

God damnit. When is Amon Amarth playing Chicago? I can't miss that.

FFFFFFFFFF why is it a loving Thursday?

Tell me if/when you're in Chicago and I'll come have a beer with you or something.

Edit- oh poo poo Bottom Lounge isn't too far from one of my favorite Chicago brewpubs http://revbrew.com/

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 17, 2011

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I love my G23 for what it is, but I like the shape of my M&P grip a lot more. I do agree that the trigger isn't as good as on a GLOCK, though I will probably get one of the Apex trigger kits eventually. It's pretty good stock, but I don't like how much over-travel there is and the reset could be a little shorter and more pronounced, as it is it's a bit mushy. I've also noticed that the gun will bounce a little more in my hands with the TLR-1 attached than without, probably due to the added weight near the muzzle.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

I'll bring mine down there on the 19th and you can try out a good trigger. You will want to send your gun to this guy.
So you're coming then? Excellent.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Gray Stormy posted:

Theres a possibility that I may be tagging along as well.

Inform your wife that the internet is much more important than anything she wants you to do that weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

dhrusis posted:

Need TFR opinion:

Looking for a cheap scope of decent quality to learn to shoot rifles well with. Going on a 308. I dont want to spring for anything super pricey, 250 is my limit (for learning), but I'm really wanting to get some value and bang for the buck. I know buy once cry once, but at the same time I'd rather put the cash into trigger time (boolits & training). I missed Midway's Bushnell sale, where I would have bought a 10x tactical 3200 or 4200.

Anyway, I'm looking at these now:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Promotion/default.aspx?promotionid=491264&utm_source=fp2&utm_medium=homepage

Any comments? I recognize I'm not dealing with super high quality optics here, but it looks like the value is there, and the customer support is good. The only downside I can see is that the reticle on the mil dot is reported to be a little 'thick', so I was thinking about getting the normal reticle, which is cheaper anyway.

Any thoughts on this before I pull the trigger would be appreciated, as well as any thoughts on some decent value rings from Midway..
The best bang for the buck is probably the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40, which appears to be out of stock just about anywhere, or $219 at Midway. I've got one on my .30-06 700 and it's a great value. The glass is clear and bright, and the adjustment knobs click solidly and adjustments are repeatable. The other "inexpensive" option is something from SWFA, like their 10x42 http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

If you save up a bit more and want a variable power scope, the Nikon Monarch line starts around $375 and is pretty well liked in the sub $500 range.