Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

What's the general consensus on this red dot sight?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=138696

Never heard much feedback on ADCO stuff, so I'm kinda curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Sylink posted:

When amending a C&R do I need to include the lease/rental agreement or is that for actual FFL dealers? This may be a dumb question.

Dealers only.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Gunbroker says very nice early 10/22's are going for $250. Adjust accordingly for condition.

It looks like people are paying $450-$550 for the .30-30 Savage.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Yeah, that one was fun.

"Wait, WHO ARE YOU? And WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?"
"Erm, nevermind ma'am. Sorry to disturb you."
*click*

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Bake. Bake your bacon this morning and thank me later.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Bogon posted:

This works but use a cooling rack placed on a baking sheet or You could use a Waffle Iron.

Cookie sheet, aluminum foil, cooling racks are where it's at.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Just pour it off the aluminum foil and you'll be on your way to heaven (figuratively and literally!) in no time.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Do we have any goons with a Century C93?

The idea of a G3-type firearm in 5.56x45mm is pretty appealing, and I almost bought one before my surprise deployment opportunity popped up. They were like $699 then, but I think a few sites are now as low as $499 with one mag. Mags are drat pricey, but if it's mainly a fun-gun I only need a few.

I'm really tempted, and money's not a big issue, but I'm leery of getting too many bulky long-guns, and it doesn't really do anything that my MSAR AUG-type doesn't. But I have had a hard-on for the G3 types since firing an Iranian one full-auto in Iraq (as seen in my original avatar before LF bought me this one).

Any dire warnings, words of support? Is there any better way to just buy a parts kit and US receiver and have some 'smith build me one for a bit more cash? Is it expensive as gently caress to get one with the collapsing stock? I'm not really HK-savvy, but I figure someone here must be.

It's also a drat sight cheaper than getting a G36 (mock-up), which I've been drawn to since working with the Germans out here.

A customer of mine bought one. He sent it back to Century because you couldn't pull the charging handle back and cock the gun. They reworked it and sent it back to him. It runs well now. YMMV

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I'm aware of a PD that recently - two months ago - sold a transferable Stoner S63 for less than $16,000. Like Sten Freak said, some know what their stuff is worth, some don't.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

ohhhlethal posted:

How many laws am I breaking if I just give a gun to my sister who has Kansas residence and I am a Missouri resident, who will also be moving to Texas in a week and establishing residency there (within a year I assume)?

edit:

I'm not selling it to her, I'm just giving it to her because its a stupid loving Glock 19 that I hate because Glocks are worthless and I want her to have a handgun in her new home.

A background check needs to be done in her state of residence. You can't just "give it to her" unfortunately. Ship or hand deliver it to an FFL in her state of residence and have her do the paperwork there.

Same thing happened to me a while ago. My uncle wanted to give me my late grandfather's shotgun. He's an IL resident and I'm in MI. I had to log it into my dealer's books, then log it out to myself complete with background check, 4473, and all the associated paperwork.

It sucks, but that's the law.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Everyone's already well aware of my innate hatred for Ruger MkX .22 pistols, so I'll spare that. I think for the money, Sig P6's are a great option. Glocks are great too though.

SynMoo, I'd recommend taking an NRA safety course at a nearby range and maybe getting some hands-on with various rental pistols before buying one. In the end, everyone's opinion is different and you really should go with what fits you best.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Anyone have any good scope recommendations for mounting on a Savage .308? Got a friend looking to do 300-400 yard range shooting. No hunting. He's got a fairly modest budget, so I think mid-low end would be great. Basically he's looking for the most bang for the buck.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll pass them along to my friend.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Phrost posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere to using an LLC for purchasing NFA items?

If you have specific questions, Craptacular or myself will likely be able to help you.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Additional question: When you move/submit a 5320.20, do you have to get CLEO approval from the area you are moving to, or is the CLEO sign off only a requirement when you first purchase the item?

Moving out of state gets a little quirky w/NFA registered to an LLC. I need to think about it a bit because I'm dead tired at the moment, but I'm not sure what the process is - or if there even is one - for moving an entire LLC to another state. As LLC's are usually state-level entities, moving it to another state may not be possible depending on the destination state's laws.

In that case, you'd have to start a new LLC in the new state then transfer your guns to your new LLC through a C3 in the new state.

I could be wrong. I'll think about this tomorrow and get back to it.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

If you've got archives there's a pretty good thread about it from past.

Process is more or less...
- do your homework
- get a commercially or industrially zoned location
- create business w/in state
- get all documents proving zoning and business licensing have been done
- apply for FFL
- wait
- get an interview w/ATF to go over rules, regs, & paperwork
- get your license
- set yourself up as a dealer w/a bunch of different vendors
- be rudely surprised how little margin there is in guns

That's pretty much how the process went for me.

Edit to your edit: You *can* run an FFL out of your home if

- It's zoned in an area where there are "no restrictions on retail sales." So, commercial, industrial, or unzoned.
- You don't mind the ATF actually coming to your home during compliance checks and for the interviews.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I wanted to make a couple quick announcements about Southern Michigan Arms, but it's nothing so monumental as to justify its own thread.

First, goon Black Stormy will be helping me with a few things around the office. Feel free to contact either him or me for anything. If it's something one of us is better with than the other, we'll get you in touch with the right person. You can reach him at joshc@somiarms.com

Second, SMA will be sponsoring a TFR competition in October with actual real prizes. Watch for a dedicated thread come the end of September.

Lastly, we're in the preliminary stages of moving towards suppressor and suppressed firearm sales. I'll update as I know more, but if you've ever considered a suppressor or an integrally-suppressed rifle, we will likely be able to help you with it.

Anyway, contact either Black Stormy or I (sales@somiarms.com) with any questions and check the classifieds thread for stuff we're selling.

Gewehr 43 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 31, 2010

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

The competition will be for everyone, not just locals, but I don't want to divulge too much information yet until I've figured everything out myself.

Business is going well, but a little slow at the moment. It'll be really nice to have some help though as Stormy's a hell of a lot better with modern stuff than I am.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

ShaiHulud posted:

Mosins make pretty lousy hunting rifles - for the price he'll pay for bolt welding, a scope mount, optics, and a trigger, he could probably buy a synthetic-stock Stevens at Walmart that will outshoot the Mosin all day long.

Gotta agree here. It's not really worth it. He'd probably get much better returns on his investment cash by just buying a purpose built sporting gun.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

You guys posting about that got me going on about it actually. But in reality it will probably be 1-2 years before I have the money to spend on suppressor stuff. :(

Suppressors really aren't all that expensive. Even after tax stamp you're only looking at spending roughly the same as a nice handgun. That's for a centerfire suppressor. Rimfire suppressors are really very reasonable. I've got an integrally suppressed .22 bolt gun inbound that cost me $500. An individual would have to add $200 to that as a gift to the ATF, but even $700 for the package would still be pretty reasonable.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

What does an HK G36 Dual optic carry handle weigh? Godamn hard to find that info anywhere.

How exact do you need that measurement to be? I have mine right here, but all I have is a bathroom scale.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

So what's the best caliber for warning bears away?

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Wow. Less than a minute to Eargesplittenloudenboomer.

:golfclap:

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I use a golden rod too. My guns have been fine. You should know how humid summers can get here.

How are your guns stored? Are they in a safe/locker, a case, a gun sock?

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

Gewehr 43,
What did you end up using for carbon removal for your booster cone or flash hider or whatever MG part you had that was coated? Purple Power? If so, did it work?

I had a great experience with Simple Green a few years ago and now it's just not doing the trick. I don't know if the carbon I'm stripping is affecting it's effectiveness and I need to change it out or if the previous success was a fluke.

Related: I'm thinking hard about a commercial ultrasonic cleaning tank. A big one that I can put bolts and subgun barrels in etc. Anyone have experience with one? They're pricey but the idea of just stripping a gun down, dropping it in and coming back a few hours later to a completely clean gun or part without chemicals and manual scrubbing is very appealing.

I used purple power and it didn't so much as dent the hardened, baked-on carbon you're talking about. I have no idea what will remove it, but if you find something let me know, eh? What purple power did do was strip the bake-on finish off the bolt carrier and bolt of my brand new Arsenal SGL31. :( Lesson learned, kids, don't soak your Saiga parts in purple power.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Anyone who's snappy with photoshop care to make a banner for Southern Michigan Arms? I'm advertising at armslist.com. I need a jpg w/the dimensions of 100x600 (it's a vertical banner). Nothing fancy, not too picky. I'll give whomever does it dealer pricing on whatever they're looking for. Just email me at sales@somiarms.com

Gewehr 43 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 13, 2010

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I believe the latter.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

:downs: indeed

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

infrared35 posted:

(he says it's his dealer cost)

He's lying. :ssh:

quote:

I sure as hell don't need another gun, but it is a Beretta, and I really like it. And by buying it, I'd be helping the guy out. And he's cool as hell and needs the money.

:ohdear:

But still buy it from him anyway. He's not too far off the mark and service counts for something too.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Roundboy posted:

An FFL can ship it ground to another FFL.

Only for long guns. Dealers have to send pistols NDA too. The only break we get is that we can ship pistols via USPS priority which is usually $20-$30 instead of $50-$60.

And USPS doesn't care about C&R status. They won't accept pistols from non-dealers regardless of C&R status. The form you fill out states that you must be a "bona-fide dealer or manufacturer of firearms." Sure, some people might slip C&R pistols by an ignorant/apathetic clerk by showing their C&R, but it is technically a violation of postal policies.

Gewehr 43 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2010

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Ditto. It may be a bit overly-cautious, but I would be very leery of firing that gun again. As Cyrano mentioned, there might be a lot of stuff going on with it that won't necessarily be apparent without some serious tools.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Propagandalf posted:

If you start shopping now, you might be able to get a CZ452 for under $400. They're ~$450 new, and probably the best non-racegun bolt action .22 on the market, in terms of accuracy, build quality and reliability. Buds has a dozen styles for $420-$450 right now. Savage's bolt guns are also pretty nice according to the hivemind, and should be under $250, leaving you with plenty for some decent glass. If milsurp is your thing, Mossberg M44's are built like brick shithouses. They're single shot, heavy as hell, laser accurate with peep sights and many of them came from the CMP as USMC/USN basic training surplus. My dad shot one in his basic training. CMP also had some Kimber trainers that seem well received.

Buy this. Don't ask questions, just do it.: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/11850

Just for reference, Black Stormy and I can and/or will meet or beat a lot of Bud's prices, this one included. We can't beat them on everything and we'll never be able to beat them by much, but we'll be goddamned if we won't at least try. I don't want to turn this into a for-sale post, so you're interested, just email me.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So do you do special orders on stuff that you don't have on your site, then? I assumed that what was on the site was what you had to sell.

Yeah, we absolutely do special orders. I don't have the capital to stock anything really, but yes; absofuckinglutely, if you're in the market for something, let me know and I'll do what I can to get it for you. Sometimes my vendors don't have stock, so I won't be able to get everything, but give Southern Michigan Arms a change before you default to Bud's. :)

Otto, I don't know. That would be my assumption as well. It's tough a tough price hike to swallow too because CZ's long guns are just so damned nice. :(

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Secret Ooze posted:

I just spent all my crazy AR money and had no idea this was an option. :(

Im sorry Dad.

It's cool. I would've loved to have helped you out, but I understand. Hopefully next time.

So, the site is undergoing a rather substantial facelift courtesy of our very own TheAutomator. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully it'll be up and running by the end of the day. The next phase will hopefully be adding in a shipping calculator so I can just start saving people money by charging actual shipping. Wheee!

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

The website facelift is nearing completion. The actual web-coding is, I believe, more or less done - save for my flighty "ooooh, can I have this too?!" moments - and now I'm just updating the majority of the text. Thanks to TheAutomator for putting this all together in a very reasonable amount of time and an extremely fair price.

I'm really happy to announce two new features.

First and foremost a shipping module has been added to allow for actual shipping costs. No more blanket "$xyz shipped" for an item I'll hopefully be able to save you a few bucks by doing this.

Secondly, tiered pricing is now in effect. I no longer have to list 2 prices on a often-publicly-accessible forum. Create an account at the website to take advantage of this. Once you create an account, just email me and let me know you've done so, and I'll adjust your account. From then on, when you log in, you will see TFR pricing at the checkout screen (listed as a discount). The prices you see while browsing are still the street prices, but don't be discouraged; you'll be given the appropriate discount at checkout.

And as to other business news, I am now a Spike's Tactical dealer. I will be listing many of their products along with other modern tactical vendors at the site in coming days. While I still don't have the capital to stock everything I list, items will be available for drop shipment straight from the manufacturer with a 1-4 week lead time (depending on the vendor).

Anyway, when you get a sec, stop by the website - http://www.somiarms.com - and check it out. Any constructive criticism is appreciated and should be directed to me at sales@somiarms.com

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Has anyone ordered from these guys before?
http://www.robertrtg.com/

They've got some good prices on accessories for my CETME:
http://www.robertrtg.com/hklowprofilescopemount.html
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3picatinnyhandguard.html

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them. Great service and good prices. It seems like they don't send you any tracking info, so you have no idea when your stuff ships.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

VSEPR posted:

Numrich, MidwayUSA, Brownells, and all of my local shops are completely sold out of replacement recoil springs for Marlin 60s. Mine is bent all to hell and I'm getting double (and even triple) feeds up the rear. Does anyone know of any other reputable parts dealers I could get a new spring from?

gunsprings.com maybe?

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

About the only thing you gain from buying an "off the shelf" AR is a lifetime warranty. Some companies only warranty their parts for 1 year, but will warranty complete guns for a lifetime.

That being said, the number of times I've had to claim a warranty on any AR or associated parts is zero.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Tim Pawlenty posted:

What's the best material to fill in stripped woodscrew holes? Epoxy or something like that?

Matchsticks. Buy some wooden matches, chop off the head, and fill the stripped hole with them (and some glue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

You're so picky. Jesus christ. :v: