Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GroovinPickle posted:

The Mossberg safety is ambidextrous, but the 870's safety is in a more useful position.

The Remington is too, you are just using different fingers if you shoot it lefty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Where is it on the Mossbergs?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I just got some Leight electronic earpro, and I've spent pretty much all day sitting on my couch watching TV while wearing them.

Is that wrong?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nipponophile posted:

That's assuming that it's an actual "International" competition, as opposed to something like the "World Series" of baseball.

Every player worth a drat is in the MLB so yeah it is the World Series.

(I wish the WBC was viable :()

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

king of the bongo posted:

I thought he was talking about international trap vs american trap, or is it skeet? I forget which one but the international one is a lot more challenging.

Isn't "International Trap/Skeet" just called "Sporting Clays" over here? I remember trying to shoot some in NJ once and holy gently caress it was impossible.

EDIT: I guess not. International Trap is normal trap with faster throws and more distance I guess. And the US has won the Men's individual and team world championships a few times so I guess we're not all bad at it.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 24, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spankmeister posted:

Exactly.

Conversely, football (*ugh* "soccer") is really big in the rest of the world with a world cup, and y'all don't care about that.
Instead you have "football" where most of the game there are no feet involved.

America is weird.

Yes why oh why don't we care about a sport that is only popular around the world because it was spread by a violent imperialist regime who we specifically fought a war of independence against?

(That's mainly facetiousness.)

I think complaining about the "World Series" is stupid because most of the people who do the whining will in the next sentence say everybody that's not America (and aforementioned tiny island nations) care about baseball.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, it's not as broadly popular as soccer, but I'd be willing to bet that if you're just talking raw numbers of people its at least up there with all those random English games that commonwealth countries follow.

A lot of the reasons baseball isn't more popular is the same reason not everybody plays hockey or lacrosse or football: the equipment costs. You need a rather specific number of gloves and bats and stuff, and while the kids from down South are willing to use a rock as a ball, a lead pipe as a bat and paper bags as gloves (Melky used a rock, Mariano Rivera used a paper bag) they know that if they get good at it they have a shot at making it into the MLB. Kids in Africa or Europe or Russia know that they have a much better chance of making into some kind of pro soccer league so it's more worth their time to make one ball out of plastic bags and kick it around some empty lot.

spankmeister posted:

Yeah also I think Holland did pretty well on the WBC a few months ago.

The WBC doesn't mean poo poo. I wish it did, but the fact is that there's nowhere to put it in the season without it meaning the players get no time off, and managers won't do that to a lot of their players (pitchers especially.) I would honestly like to see the WBC somehow replace the All-Star game because I think a true World Baseball Classic would be amazing. As it is it's pretty much Olympics Baseball and nobody cares because none of their favorite players are involved.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 24, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bunnielab posted:

So, flying with guns, it would be super easy to hide a bunch of smack inside the gun case, right? Like the TSA tagging should prevent any further inspection, right?

The only people who are supposed to know there is a gun on the flight is you and the TSA/airline person you show it to on check-in. Nothing on the case is supposed to say "GUN IN HERE" or anything like that. In fact, doing that would be against the law last time I checked.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Snowdens Secret posted:

This also involves driving with said guns through New York City - any advice on how to do this most legally, other than put them unloaded in the trunk, under other stuff, and don't stop for nothin'? Do I need to specifically take the bolts out or anything like that?

Keep them unloaded in a locked case and you're totally fine.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

hahaha

Eh?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

There's no way to transport a firearm through NYC and be "totally fine". You will be arrested if it's discovered, then maybe your lawyer can pull out peaceable journey before the firearm is lost in evidence.

Well I meant legally. And if you have a locked case the cops would have to have a warrant to get at the guns anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

Oh my word do you seriously believe this?

I have no doubt that cops would gently caress your poo poo up if they wanted to but NYPD officers aren't some kind of comic book villain sitting at the NYC borders pulling over every out-of-state car. And even if they did pull you over they wouldn't immediately toss your car.

I don't know why you think he'd have any trouble with the guns in a locked case in his trunk unless he insisted on driving over 100MPH the whole way while weaving between lanes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

They don't need bolt cutters or a warrant. Murky probably cause is all they need to search the entire vehicle and they may compel you to open any locked containers inside (or arrest you for obstruction, then cut it open at the station).

Ok well I guess that I have a trustworthy face because cops have never searched my car during a traffic stop, even when it reeked of beer once.

The only time I've ever had an officer of the law open up my car was by Canadians at the border actually. I'm 99% sure they thought I was smuggling guns or something because the guy at the window asked me if I had any at least 4 times.

EDIT: Also does anybody know where I can find figures on the amount of NYC gun ownership (not carry) permit applications there are vs how many are approved?

EDIT2: And how does gun certification/de-certification in CA work?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 11, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

omgLerkHat! posted:

For the approved-for-sale list of handguns, or just 'what does it take to get a gun in CA?'?

For the approved handgun list.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I love state sponsored extortion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Now that is just asinine. How do the people in rural areas of CA allow poo poo like this?

More of the people in CA live in the cities I guess.

The best is that every single type of pistol needs to be on the list, so certain XDs are alright while others aren't when the only difference is caliber or something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Seems like your journey with 926A protection covers getting gas, taking a poo poo, having dinner, but not visiting Aunt Bernice.

I would always assume that it only covered a same-day trip. Sucks about Revell though, did he actually serve time?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AntiTank posted:

Don't use a round as a hammer.

I have this nail! And this other nail to nail it in with!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cycloneman posted:

Well obviously there will be defections from the police/military in this scenario, providing a professional section of the revolutionary armed forces. As a member of what would be in effect a revolutionary militia, I would only be useful to the extent that I could delay the military and/or police so that the professional sections of the revolutionary armed forces could come to the city in order to protect it and repulse the mainstream capitalist military.

I hear you have magazines to sell?

:allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hahaha they have a big banner saying "Liberation" that also has a huge picture of Che on it. That's awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cycloneman posted:

Are you implying something negative about Che Guevara?

Why ever would I do that?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

What is the most reliably cheap brass-cased .223 brand out there? I shot the last of my 300 round of Prvi today and gun-deals.com isn't helping.

Conversely, will firing bog-standard Wolf out of my Mini-14 gently caress it up? I know I've heard that I shouldn't use steel-cased rounds but I dunno if that's backed up by anything.

Pretty much I'm saying what's the cheapest brand I can find that won't gently caress up my Mini-14/any AR I find in my travels.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 8, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm not a huge stickler about "reliable" ammo since I'm primarily interested in using it in my Mini-14 which I clean after every use and has a pretty hardy action anyway.

I really just want to avoid anything that will outright damage mine or any other gun I use it in. For example, at the NH meet today we can 200 rounds of Prvi through Commissar's AR without issue, but at Guncon we ran about 10 rounds or steel Wolf through Craptacular's AR and got a case stuck in there tight enough he had to retire the gun for the day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yeah, Federal is looking like the best deal really. Also $35 for 200 is nuts-o awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iioshius posted:

Not quite sure where to put this, so here you go:

Hoppes 9 Scented Air Freshener

Find me soap/deodorant that smells like cordite.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

What's it about?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I can't hit poo poo with striker-fired pistols ever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

How can a gun company be "arrogant"? Should they have a motto like "Pretty good stuff!" and then they can be humble and we can all approve of them?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Will they ruin a BMW hood like an Uzi mag will though?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Way to dodge the question Mr Arrogant HK Man :mad:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Some non-arrogant slogans:

"Compromise sometimes, to avoid hard feelings."

"Eh, decent."

Hopefully these will make HK and Glock seem less arrogant in the future.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Automator posted:

Single stack is sort of the wrong wording. They're like a giant pistol mag. The rounds are staggered down in the body, but they're single feed at the top. This makes them RIDICULOUSLY hard to load.

Tapered is the term for that, isn't it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I like turtles posted:

all blinds drawn at all times,

That's depressing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Explain to me the difference between simple blowback and recoil operation?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Otto Skorzeny posted:

The diagrams on wikipedia show this pretty decently.

Yeah, I looked it up on Wiki but wanted to confirm I was understanding it right. You guys just did, thanks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Secret Ooze posted:

I may be imagining all this, but wasnt there a website that had all the states and their firearm guidlines all in one place? Im talking mag restrictions, NFA stuff, the whole gamut of laws and rules.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Log posted:

I've been thinking of something for a little while. A lot of us bitch about being fat and needing to drop some pounds. I know I could slim down. Would TFR participate in some kind of watch and weight TFR edition?

You can't drop those tangos if your winded. :)

I'd be up for it I suppose.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Log posted:

If enough people are down I'll start a thread.

Yay health! And guns!

I can't really do much shooting stuff but I'm totally down for tactical weight loss, or going loud and dropping pound-os.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm watching Criminal Minds and the Denver SWAT team just did a thing and I reminded me: Whatever happened to Mr Butterpants or whatever his name was?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I run a boresnake through my guns after I shoot a couple times each and it seems to clear everything out of the barrel as I only need a couple of patches to get them coming out clean from then, and I can see if clearing out bigger chunks of whatever in the barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Smiling Jack posted:

Hivemind: tell me about earpro that I can plug my MP3 player into.

Are these any good?

Those are what I have and I like them.