Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

charliebravo77 posted:

I've just devised a brilliant money making scheme for the crowd. Set up a machine shop where all the batshit-anti-government-UN gonna take my guns-nuts can come in, press a button, and out pops a machined lower receiver with no serial (since it's not required for firearms you manufacture yourself for your own use). Charge them $200 for it and live the good life. You'd have to have a big client list beforehand though, cause I'm sure the ATF would shut you down within a day of being in business. Anyone who attempts this owes me 30% of profits for the idea

pretty sure these places exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

get a glock 19 if you have any self respect.

edit: actually if you're in california and you cant carry anyway you might consider a 17.

though, if i lived in a state with the stupid 10rd mag rule i would probably just buy a 1911, to avoid feeling frustrated and limp each time i loaded my glock mags.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i'm gonna do this with a glock 19

thats fine, id rather you do it to a glock 19 than to some other not as cool gun.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

tomstuart posted:

XD stuff

IMO the only 2 worthwhile 'upgrades' you listed are the night sights and the TLR.

you will never be able to make an XD trigger as nice as a 1911 or BHP trigger. if you really want to dick with a striker fired pistol trigger, sell the XD and buy a glock and gently caress with that one.

besides, if this is a nightstand gun/range toy it would just be a silly investment of money. if you want a really nice target pistol, buy another gun.

finally, i dont know what kind of "extended magazines' you're looking at but for both practical and range purposes, unless you really just like dumping ammo, the 15 rounds of .40 in the normal magazines is more than enough.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Catdonkey posted:

Getting my first gun soon, so I will have to buy ammo for it (9mm). Can anyone give me the quick rundown on the different ammo brands/manufacturers? Info on both target and defense ammo would be great.

This varies widely. What kind of gun are you buying? handgun? carbine? some handguns are very finicky about the brands of ammo they feed - others, not so much. my glock 19 will eat pretty much any 9mm that i can throw at it. I have no problems shooting wolf, magtech, remington UMC, or any other kind of ammo out of it. really the only thing that I recommend avoiding are somebody else's reloads as you have less of a guarantee that it won't explode on you. that said, even factory loads are not perfect, even the really "nice" brands. my tanfoglio is slightly pickier but still pretty awesome. each pistol will behavior differently with different brands/lots of ammunition.

as for defensive ammo, you can expect to find a trillion and one different opinions on the matter. currently I carry cor-bon DPX 124gr +P jacketed hollow points, but I also have a box of federal hydra-shoks kicking around as well. you can argue ad infinitum what brand hollow point is the "best" for defensive purposes, but generally speaking, people recommend Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Rangers, among others. nobody can guarantee you that the brand you buy will be the best, but i can guarantee you that shooting somebody 8 times will probably get them to change their mind about trying to hurt you. YMMV.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 24, 2010

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

spankmeister posted:

Exactly.

Conversely, football (*ugh* "soccer") is really big in the rest of the world with a world cup, and y'all don't care about that.
Instead you have "football" where most of the game there are no feet involved.

America is weird.

umm we pwned face in our last world cup draw and i was screaming the whole time. our team is playing better than both the mighty English National Celebrity Team and the "socceroos" so, ya'know.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

hoppes is bad for nickel but a tiny amount probably didnt do any damage. nickel tends to haze up with age, for whatever reason. you'll live.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

So, it turns out i will have to move back home to CT from Oregon in order to continue my education. How should I go about moving my guns? Should I fly them all home with me or is there a way I can mail them without having to go through an FFL? Can I mail them to myself legally before I actually move?

edit:

CT also requires a pistol permit and i own a bunch of handguns. how do i go about getting them into the state?

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2010

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Fang posted:

A Glock is a silly handgun with which to start; something SAO would be better so that the shooter gets used to a handgun designed to maximize its potential instead of getting the idea that a crappy trigger, excessively wide design, and being prone to limpwristing is a normal thing.

quote:

SIG P226

Width, overall 1.5" 1.5

browning hi-power

Width, overall 1.41"

glock 17, 19, 26, 22, 23, 27, etc

width, overall 1.18"

Gtab please stop being full of poo poo.

having chaperoned 200+ new shooters to their first time to the range, i have seen 3-4 glock limpwrists (which was par for the other poly framed pistols we shot, including XDs and M&Ps).

and i used to complain about the glock trigger until i owned one and realized that the trigger you can hit things with is the best trigger, and if you know how to use it right (i.e. trapping it and controlling the reset) the glock has literally one of the best stock triggers on the market, IMO, outside of 1911s.

I am a huge glock fanboy obviously. that said, if a glock 22 was my first pistol, i would not be in the hobby either.

I think a glock 19 is the perfect beginner's centerfire handgun. easily found for 400 dollars, far more reputable, tested and ruggedly built than any other poly framed pistol that I have ever fired, huge aftermarket, free repair at any glock armorer, cheap entry into GSSF.... i mean christ you really dont even need to clean the things.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 17, 2010

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Chantilly Say posted:

And if we're bringing wideness into it... I don't think there's much basis for argument. At one point, one of those 200+ was me, and I wear small or even extra-small gloves--I have no problems with the size of the Glock frame. Many (more than half, actually) of the 200+ were women, so some of them had hands even smaller than mine. I've never seen somebody shoot a Glock and then say it was too big for them.

yeah i have tiny little princess hands and glocks are great for me.

the legitimate argument against glocks is the grip angle, and if you really dont like it, you really dont like it, and well, nothing's gonna change that.

for whatever reason i've never had a gun whose grip angle truly bothered me except revolvers and that's just a whole different deal.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

AR posted:

I wondered about this when I had my G30 next to my 229E. The 229 is listed thicker, but the widest part is the edge of the decocker, whereas the design of the Glock means it's almost the full width. This means even more when comparing a 1911 with a flat safety. Without the safety, it's thin!

CMA: Unless those are grip-only measurements.

BHP is the grip, i do not know about the SIG to be honest.

H&K USP is 1.26 " frame width, S&W M&P is 1.2", the XD is 1.125" supposedly so that one is thinner than the glock. but it is still not the majority. i don't have the specific measurements but my Tanfoglio CZ-75 clone is definitely thicker than my g19.

point being, they aren't that thick, but its not the first time ive heard that and ive never understood where that came from.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 17, 2010

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

AR posted:

So my 5 year wedding anniversary is this Friday, and it looks like the 5 year anniversary is traditionally the "polycoat black" anniv.

I was jonesing for a CZ last month (trade, opted to hold onto my 642 instead) and narrowed it down to either a CZ 75B SA, or an SP-01. The only reason I'd be buying another pistol would be for a range toy that I'd use in IDPA/IPSC/whatever orgs are here.

Any thoughts on these two models that might help decide between the two or avoid them if necessary?

I do not own a rifle other than my 10/22, nor a shotgun, so I'm open to other ideas for the anniversary - everything but pistols is outside my expertise, so they're off my radar.

you dont haev a shotgun?!?! blasphemy! thought i cant exactly tell you not to buy a CZ either.

i would get the 75B SA personally between those two.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

AR posted:

Any reason other than it's SA? I haven't fired the SA or the SP01, so all I can imagine is that both are much better.

My father in law has some great trap guns (Beretta semis), as does my brother in law, so there hasn't been a need. Also, I can fake the shotgun racking noise so I use pistols for HD.

Great, that's another angle of advice I'm looking for. I'm guessing the class it falls into would be race guns?

I just like the trigger on the SA 75bs, especially if you get the flat trigger.

and shotguns are just awesome. its a whole differnet kind of shooting. get a wingmaster and dont look back.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

SynMoo posted:

I imagine this question comes up a lot, so I'd rather drop it here than make a new thread.

What's a good starter pistol? I have almost zero firearms experience. I'm looking for a good amalgamation of easy to fire, easy to clean and reliable. The best I can tell, all signs point to Glock, but what size and caliber? Or something else entirely? I eventually intend to CCW, but that criteria isn't important initially.

glock 19, if you intend to carry it, or any of the 9mm glocks.

AA sells a .22 conversion kit with albeit somewhat limited availability, but look into those to save money and learn good shooting techniques.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

spankmeister posted:

What about a CZ 75 with the kadett kit?

that would be fine but i think it would be harder to carry than a 19.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Captain von Trapp posted:

I have a friend who's relatively newly into firearms ownership, and actually started in the canonical TFR way. His first gun was a 10-22, his second was a Ruger Mk III.

He has now decided the logical next step is a .50 BMG Barrett. He's already placed the order

Hey, I'm not complaining, I've never shot one before and am looking forward to it. My question is whether or not there's any authoritative source documenting proper break-in procedure (ie, that break-in is a meaningless concept on modern firearms). He has been getting bad advice on this score from the internet and I'd like something official-looking telling him that it's just unnecessary work and wear. Unless I'm wrong, in which case enlighten me.

lol are you loving kidding me

he goes from 2 -300 dollar guns to 1 3,000 dollar gun, from a cartridge that costs like $.001 per round to one that costs like $1.75???

does he have a 1,000 yard range he can regularly shoot at?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Captain von Trapp posted:

Not kidding in the slightest. And as far as I know the longest range within convenient driving distance is 100 yards, though he's scouting longer ones already. What's so weird is that he's otherwise about as rational of a shooter as there is. He doesn't care about the government or ATF, he doesn't think the world's going to end, and he's even happily and logically researching reloading options due to the cost.

I'd buy him an account but I doubt he'd use it. He's not much of the SA type. Honestly I think this purchase is a brain glitch caused by him being an engineer at one of NASA's engine test sites and seeing monstrously loud and impressive tests every week.

Actually, he's in my wedding and the rifle ought to arrive before the batchelor party. Might be worth a thread.

I mean, if he really wants a .50, more power to him, i will certainly not get in his way.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Fifty Three posted:

I'm currently toying with the idea of selling my police trade-in P226 and picking up... a police trade-in USP 9mm.

The internet's thoughts?

gently caress HK, keep your sig. there's no point in selling a gun you're happy with for a gun you might be happy with.

sell it and buy a glock 34

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

iyaayas01 posted:

Two questions -

First, I'm looking for a (relatively) cheap bare bones 1911 for carry purposes. Basically a standard 1911 with the usual basic refinements for carry (low profile Novak-esque sights, beavertail, commander hammer, beveled/flared ejection port, etc.) I don't need a super tactical slide serrations, frontstrap/backstrap checkering, extended ambidextrous controls, light rail behemoth (I've already got my Kimber, thank you very much ). I'm probably looking for something in the $400-600 range. Is RIA's stuff any good? I would like to carry it, so reliability is kind of important...I'm not requiring GLOCK PERFECTION, but something that chokes every 50 rounds isn't exactly going to work either.

My RIA has jammed only once in maybe 2000 rounds and it was on the first magazine. That makes in more reliable than my glock. I say go for one of those. the RIA Tactical is awesome. they have great customer service, too, and will totally hook you up if you have even the slightest problem with it.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

blackknight5k posted:

Sell the Kimber, by 2 RIA 1911's

But really, RIAs are awesome bare bones 1911s - I've been carrying the compact for about a year now and have no complaints.

EDIT: Should I be using something in addition to hoppe's 9 to clean and protect my firearms?

You need a good solvent or two and a lubricant or two.

I generally always have on hand hoppes #9, non-chlorinated brake cleaner, some sort of ATF/motor oil, and lithium grease. For guns that have really dirty bores I also keep Sweets 7.62 solvent on hand.

Once you get rid of most of the grime in the slide, frame, firing pin channel/ any other small nooks that tend to accumulate crud, I usually grease the slide and apply a little bit of grease on the locking lugs and a thin, thin layer on the outside of the barrel.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

blackknight5k posted:

Shorter barrel - same sized grip

Also, thanks Kommienzuspadt

No problem. also if you are lazy or own lots of glocks ,CLP will do both and is pretty cheap.

its not looked upon favorably because it gets things kind of gunky and its not a particularly great solvent but i think its fine for surface applications especially, and some trigger groups that have more space between moving parts (my CZ-75 clone comes to mind)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

GroovinPickle posted:

Do you people draw up any kind of paperwork when you sell a gun to another in-state private party?

I was thinking something simple like a simple bill of sale with names, price, signatures, and a stipulation that the sale is as-is.

No but it would be prudent to ask for a copy of their DL.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

IMO a good carry flashlight is more important than night sights but they are a good investment.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

TFR must've had a bad weekend.

mr england, my advice is move to america first, get your green card, and then we can talk about owning guns. given the stringency of immigration that might be a few years before that happens so for now video games it is.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

also, it is worth mentioning that the owning and use of firearms has little or nothing to do with any experience that you could have had via a digital proxy (video games, movies, whatever).

really most of the time owning and shooting guns involves hitting paper targets with a gun you paid too much for, with ammo you paid too little for, going broke over accessories you were told that you needed on this forum, feeling inferior/superior about your firearm based on absolutely nothing, buying overengineered weapons designed for military or police use that you will instead use to fulfill a mission that involves hitting paper targets, with a gun you paid too much for, and ammo you paid too little for....

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Appreciated. However they wouldn't be my first shooting experience, I've been shooting all my life.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gtab posted:

LETS BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN

hang the rich and rape their women!!

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gtab posted:

go on.

I put on my wizard hat...

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Someone should make a kit to dress a Benelli M4 up like a Spas

haha, spend more money to make the M4 look like a less expensive gun?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Since the market for Spas-12s largely consists of video game playing air-softers who discovered that they can buy real guns. Yes.

it'd have to be those really rich airsofters then, it will be good 20+ years into my MD career before i can begin considering blowing 2 grand on a fuckin shotgun....

(this doesn't count the spiffy over/unders i will be buying for my doctorly skeet and trap shooting sessions)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Black Stormy posted:

You can get M4s for significantly less than 2 grand.

gunbroker says 1500. ok, fair enough. maybe 10-15 years from now.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah, he's definitely decided to leave the 91/10 alone and go with a 91/30. And buying a premade sniper is not really his thing. He's going to try and make this the most accurate Mosin Nagant sniper clone he can, and doesn't really care if it costs him $1k to do it. Seriously, he applies this thought process to project cars as well: Will it be cool/fun? Is it ridiculous? Has it been done before? If yes, how can I make it better/more crazy?

There are very good reasons that this is a stupid idea.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Terrible Robot posted:

I understand why this is not a good idea, but it's not my idea, and it's not my money.

OK well first order of business is to find a mosin barrel actually worth a poo poo

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Makrond posted:

Okay so I was talking to this guy on the internet and he wants a handgun for home defense but he's seriously worried that 9mm is way too powerful for HD and will go through his attacker and 6 walls and hit some old lady on the street and he'll be in serious poo poo. I pointed out basically any gun is going to do that no matter what (showed him Box O' Truth as well) and he should just get a decent gun and not miss if he's so worried about it.

Now he's convinced he wants .17HMR. I've pretty much given up but is there any rational argument I could make here to convince him to get a decent 9mm or .357 at the very least?

Tell him to buy glaser safety slugs in a useful caliber for a useful gun, not a squirrel plinker.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gtab posted:

counterpoint: youre changing its looks by adding a goofy high mount scope to it, so go the extra mile and buy a flat top upper for when you want to by a snypa

I think the carry handle mounted optics are fuckin sweet, eye relief be damned. plus you can still use irons.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Pitch posted:

You can? Doesn't every carry handle mount screw in to the middle of the carry handle, blocking your rear aperture?

oops you are right and i am wrong!

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DakianDelomast posted:

If my understanding of loads is correct you're feeling Newton's first law. Heavier bullets mean a couple things. Mostly the gases exiting the barrel have a higher pressure to push the heavier bullet. So you're going to feel more recoil in your hand.

also marginally more powder to keep the heavier bullet at the same velocities as the lighter one (assuming they were close)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

how can you tell if a barrel is pitted vs if a barrel just has built up lead deposits?

i've shot a decent amount of cast lead reloads out of my 1911 and there are these markings towards the mount of the barrel/end of the chamber that look funny. ive scrubbed the poo poo out of them and they arent coming off... used Sweets 7.62 and i really dont think i have anything stronger. i would take a picture if i had my digital camera.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sweets is a very specific solvent for taking out copper fouling.

Use a lead-specific fouling remover. Usually that stuff is sold with the blackpowder gear, since most of the people who need that regularly are black powder guys.

Hit it hard with that and you should be good to go.

There's basically no reason for a barrel to have pitting unless you've had a rust problem in there. Rust leaves pits, not wear. I've seen barrels that were perfect as far as non-pitted goes, but had the rifling drat near worn off.

See also: how micro pitting and other common milsurp ailments frequently "shoot out" after a while, mostly because you're polishing the barrels by just shooting them a bunch.

i'll use Hoppes and see how that does.

it's not inconceivable that the chrome inside the barrel was hosed up at the factory, but it'd too uneven for that to be the case and i'd think i'd have seen it many hundreds of rounds before now.

edit: hoppes is doing it, I just have a decent amount caked up in there. sweet. thanks Cyrano.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you get tired of going at it with hoppes, Shooter's Choice Lead Remover just eats that poo poo for breakfast.

Hm, the hoppes really isn't doing it as well as i'd hoped. it is almost starting to look like the chrome is flaking off or has been marred somehow, but I have no idea why it would be uniquely in the first 1" or so of barrel.

it could just be really well caked in lead grime as I do keep getting dirty patches as i run them through but it's hard to tell.