Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I'm an idiot and I applied straight BLO onto my extra AK furniture. It's now a shiny sticky mess. Anyone know how to get it out? I tried the Purple power that I bought for prepping it, but I don't think it's working.

It's not the biggest deal, because a very philanthropic goon ShaiHulud, gave me much better quality furniture from the PIF thread, but I'd like to clean this stuff up and PIF best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

Purple Power is a degreaser, meant for cleaning dirt & grime - not stripping an oil finish. Try Acetone or lacquer thinner + steel wool.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't going to work, but it's the only thing I have that even approaches a solvent, so I figured I'd try it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's nothing wrong with applying straight BLO when refinishing a stock. You just can't slather on a thick coat of it and leave it to cure without wiping off the excess.

Also, the area where your stock cures should be dry. Ambient moisture will increase the curing time drastically. If you have central air crank the AC and leave the stock upright over a vent. Otherwise, hang it someplace warm and dry and leave it alone for a week.

Buff it with steel wool and acetone then apply a very thin coat of straight BLO and leave it alone for a week at a minimum.

I did all of this. You'd be surprised at the Philadelphia weather. I think the least amount of time that I let this dry was 24 hours, and it was dried in an air conditioned apartment. I just need to understand this climate better, because I have AC 24 hours, AND a silicon rechargeable dehumidifier in my gun safe, and I still worry about rust. It's like a constant fight. I'd love if someone could give me a better idea. (and I can't do a dehumidifier, because it will overflow in 6 hours, and I work 10 hour days).

It sucks being a gun owner during a Philadelphia summer because you have to take care of them 24 hours a day.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Check the OP of the milsurp thread for a couple different solutions.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd suggest doing your next stock project in the fall or winter rather than the middle of a muggy as poo poo summer.

I actually put the BLO on in March, and it's still a sticky mess.

I definitely have one of those. No new rust has shown up, but I leave the AC on 24 hours a day. I've just seen what the Philadelphia humidity can do in a couple days, and it concerns me.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I think I want to clean the hell out of my WASR. Problem is that the inside of the receiver has a lot of very fine metal shavings from where the magwell was milled out.

How do I go about getting these metal shavings out? Last time I tried it, I ended up with tiny metal shards in my fingers.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

Unless you set up a sweet FLIR scope on your rifle and go out at night or in the wee hours of the morning, I don't really see snapping turtles sunning themselves this time of year.

Aren't turtles cold blooded, meaning that they would be the same temperature as the water they are in, making a FLIR scope useless?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

From what I hear, some companies are bad, specifically southwest.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

This also involves driving with said guns through New York City - any advice on how to do this most legally, other than put them unloaded in the trunk, under other stuff, and don't stop for nothin'? Do I need to specifically take the bolts out or anything like that?

I don't know about the CT stuff, but if you keep your guns unloaded and in a separate container than any ammunition, you will be fine driving through NY. Federal law protects you from NY laws if what you are transporting is legal in the state you begin in, the state you end in, and you don't take any extended stops. (extended meaning like 2+ days in one place)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Pitch posted:

They don't need bolt cutters or a warrant. Murky probably cause is all they need to search the entire vehicle and they may compel you to open any locked containers inside (or arrest you for obstruction, then cut it open at the station).

Ok, Pitch, I have always appreciated the fact that you don't immediately agree with authority, but that's crazy. Obstruction has a high burden of proof, and it would be a hell of a lot easier to just lie and make a claim for probable cause. Charging someone for obstruction and saying in the report that it was because he would not open a locked case would get you a scolding at the very least when your case was thrown out.

It's easier and safer to just perjure the police report.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I have a lever action in .308, and that is a pretty perfect round for what you want (although .308 is still expensive as hell).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is it .308 winchester or .308 marlin? I was looking at those marlins with the fancy modern cartridges, but it seemed like ammunition for them is kind of rare and expensive.

.308 Winchester. I didn't even know that Marlin made a round until just now. That seems like a waste.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Thug Bonnet posted:

No probs with the 19 but I have big hands so I feel like maybe the full-frame would be best? But I'll get my hands on both (all of them, actually) before I put money down.

Any reason why you are going for the .45 over the 9mm?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

I abhor DA/SA,

This is probably the major thing holding me back. I'm still working on the fundamentals, and the fact that the DA/SA is inconsistent in pull totally screws me up.

When my general accuracy and handling skills get better, I'll go in that direction, but not right now. I need a consistent trigger pull.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Have we had a thread of acronyms? We have so many that it might be beneficial for the newer people to understand what's being talked about when a thread goes into things like SAO, DA/SA, DAO, DAK, etc.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Google will clear most of them up in seconds. Honestly at this point at any random question that comes up I have I just mash some letters into google and almost allays get an answer.

Yeah, that's usually the case, but there are times when something new, not very popular, or obscure (especially in relation to C&R) that make it very very difficult to find.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Let's just all agree that Glock is the superior firearm. Ok? Good. That's settled.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Speaking of ATF, what happened with that hampster machine gun deal?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Anyone want to give a good write up on checking revolver timing? I have been seeing some pretty good used wheel guns coming into my local shop, and I want to be able to tell within an acceptable degree the quality of the timing.

I can tell when it's horrendously off, but I'd like to be able to tell with a good amount of precision.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Roundboy posted:

depends on what you like, and situation. The cheap orange foam ones for like .10 each work great for simple range trips for all calibers.

electronic muffs are great even at cheap levels, and you can hear conversations.

I recently switched to surefire http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Indoors i would probably stick with electronic earpro.

Yeah... 16 dB really only borders on legitimate ear pro when you're outside. The 23 dB ones I have for inside I only barely feel ok about, and more than likely, I'm hurting my ears more than I should (especially compared to the 30 db muffs I have).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

wigtrade.cc posted:

what is trigger discipline?

To put it into perspective, this is how accidental killings happen. Here's a video to show how poor trigger discipline can go wrong.

Watch the slow-mo part to see that he shot twice. Those bullets went somewhere, and he's lucky it wasn't another person.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1299215426103423123

Edit: If he had his finger out of the trigger guard, neither of the two shots would have happened.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Craptacular posted:

That was done on purpose to film it. Look at his feet when he "trips".

Be that as it may, the point remains valid. We see these cases all the time where some jack rear end says "this gun isn't loaded" puts his finger on the trigger, and next thing we know, it's a local news headline of someone who shouldn't have died.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

A friend of mine wants to sell me a Saiga 12 for $400. It is unfired. I've stripped it and looked at it, and it's obvious that this has never been shot.

I live in a FTF state and I wouldn't have to pay for a transfer or tax.

Is there any good reason not to purchase this?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

It's not converted, and it comes with 1 mag. It's pretty much exactly what you'd see if you went into a store that had one NIB just dropped off. I don't have a shotgun, so it'll fill that niche, and I won't have to pay for shipping, tax or a transfer fee, so if they are going for $500 new, I really think I should do it, unless someone can convince why not to.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Centerfire Systems has them new for 500, so since it is FTF, no tax, shipping, transfer fee.

I'd say do it. Meet the guy at a Wendy's nearby and get yoself a assault shotgun.

Be aware that if you get any mags >5 rounds, you need 922(r) compliance parts in there, most people commonly replace the gas plug and puck, muzzle brake/choke, and use US made magazines.

Good to hear. And one of the best things about this shotgun is that it's my buddy, so I don't need to meet him in a parking lot. Although, I probably should just for the TFR factor.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Probably not going to do it this time around, but just wondering for the future.

If I have a stripped AR receiver, and I decide I want to make a SBR out of it, all I have to do is get the tax stamp before purchasing the upper, right?

And then once that serial is SBR, it will always be considered a SBR?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

Speaking of North Philly there are two places I've always wanted to visit.

1. The Divine Lorraine hotel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Lorraine_Hotel

The Divine Lorraine has had such a weird history. Did you know it was the first racially integrated hotel in Philly? The whole building has had a long history, from luxury apartments to social justice movement headquarters. This all being said, I still wouldn't venture into North Philly by myself at night, with or without my sidearm.

Yeah, it's got an even crazier history than that Wikipedia page. Go read up on "Father Divine", a cult leader who claimed he was God. Notable points of interest about him:

1. Sending a letter to the Emperor of Japan commanding him to stop their involvement in WWII (it's not in the wikipedia page, but I saw a copy of it in a gallery of Divine Lorraine inspired art).

2. Meeting with and mentoring Jim Jones to get his "People's Temple" off the ground.

3. Strictly forbidding sex in all circumstances (including between two married people), claiming that he never physically consummated either of his 2 marriages.

4. Claiming that if you follow him and his rules, you will be physically immortal.

Schroedinger posted:

The guards I talked to also said they were different from Philly cops, maybe it's different since you've been there?

They are different, and they aren't guards. They are Temple Police, and Temple Police are a true and recognized police force in Pennsylvania. They are not private security, they are public Peace Officers. In fact, they are the 6th largest police force in Pennsylvania, and their jurisdiction is only Temple's campuses.

You should park south of campus, where the projects have much less crime. Like on or south of Cecil B. Moore on 10th, 11th, 12th or 13th street.

And yes, Temple has a very very very very strict no weapons policy, so it would be a baaaaad idea to carry on campus.

I majored in Criminal Justice at Temple, so we spent a lot of time studying the crime on and around Temple's campus.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Flikken posted:

But quickclot is for major arterial bleeding not burns ?:iiam:

Yeah, that was my thought. QuikClot is for arterial injury/any injury that compromises hemostasis. If you have even the most basic understanding of the human body and own firearms, it's not a bad idea to keep QuikClot and an Asherman chest seal on hand.

I mean, if you take 10 minutes to learn about the human body, any hemostatic device or tool to maintain blood pressure or stop pneumothorax in the event of a thoracic gunshot can mean the difference between life and death.

It's really a bad call for Atticus to say that you should not even keep these devices on hand unless you're on top of a mountain, because adequate training with these tools can be the differenece between life and death on a person waiting the 10 minutes on a local firehouse ambulance to show up.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

What was the name of that gun dealer that had Jesus loves you and bible verses all over the site? Is he still around?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Question for PA residents.

If I move my permanent address, do I have to get a new LTCF in the new county?

My license doesn't expire until 2014, but I plan on moving from Deleware county to Philadelphia county before then.

Do I need to get a new one before the old one expires? Do I have to go through the whole process again, as if I hadn't owned one before (instead of a renewal)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SadWhaleFamily posted:

No, I don't think so. The LTCF is a statewide license that confers a right and responsibility on you no matter where you are in the Commonwealth. And as far as I know, there's no legal pathway to updating the address on your license.

When you renew it you'll have to do it in the county of your residence, though.

ps you should use your LTCF as your ID to vote this Nov. :v: (gently caress voter ID laws and gently caress Robert Simpson's ruling)

Sounds good. I just don't want to go through the Philadelphia county process (interview etc.) when I already have one.

Also, I totally had to use my LTCF one time to buy beer because I left my driver's license with my girlfriend.