Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

DJExile posted:

Gonna get this out of the way now

ANSWER ONE: Glocks suck.

u gtab

AND I, YOU.

OWLS! posted:

I'm contemplating purchasing a handgun. What's the concensus on CZv82 vs. the CZ 75, aside from price.

CZ75 hands down without even needing to consider anything involved besides the two gun models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

if you buy a Sigma I hope you plan to shoot yourself with it afterward

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Thanks, way to be a douchebag.

no problem!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What the hell does high speed low drag mean? I thought it was some kind of TFR in-joke about tacticlol gun aerodynamics but I've seen it used in other places too and I'm worried the world has gone mad.

It's a descriptor for direct action cool guy groups like SEALs and what not. They're high-speed, low-drag.

We use it ironically here.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The junk collector posted:

In fact it doesn't make ANY sense with a 1911 or similar SAO semi-auto. You have to rack the slide to chamber a round which cocks the hammer. Cocking the hammer on your 1911 to show you mean business really just shows that your gun is unloaded.

Manual decock.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The junk collector posted:

No.

uh, yes?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

So...without being a petulant little "me me me" bitch

too late

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

headshot24 posted:

This is it, thanks.

The Sharpmaker is better for most people.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

priznat posted:

"most people"!!

Also cool av.

gently caress you.

kill whitey.

death to foghorn

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

priznat posted:

Holy poo poo it's animating now (chrome is slow for animated gifs).. Hah. Ooh improper language! It'd be cooler without the text

You see now.

headshot24 posted:

It's over twice as much, is it that much better? I'm not balking at the price or anything since the knife is actually worth maintaining.

The Lansky actually offers more flexibility, it's just that you also see people gently caress up knives with it from time to time if they're new and inexperienced or just generally stupid. The Sharpmaker is more idiot-proof. Feel free to buy either. I was mostly just pointing out that the TFR Hivemind actually largely espouses the Sharpmaker over the Lansky, not specifically saying you should buy it instead.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Cyrano status: 0wned

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

I like turtles posted:

Jesus, gtab's avatar changed three time today that I've seen.

As of 2349 we're sitting at 4 avatars changed in one day. I am so confused.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

What preceded the current avatar? I missed it.

Edit: I guess I missed the last two, actually.

Today I went from my red text one to a foghorn avatar and then an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, to the Wu-Tang W, to this.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

So who did you piss off?

Everyone?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

You're still my favorite frostback.

Yknow, when you first started posting I was sure you would turn out to be a terrible Euro but you've turned out pretty good; I like you despite your Netherlandy handicap. Netherlandicap.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I'm dootch, isn't zat veird?

Yeah I remember one of the first thing you said was that I was a jerk.

My Netherlandicap is because of all the weed I smoke, and those wooden shoes are pretty restricitve on the bloodflow so that can't be good.

If I've learned anything it's that I cannot judge all Europeans by the example set by British.

They're not real people.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Actually, HCC wasn't taking the piss. He really was depressed and contemplating suicide. A number of goons have contacted him since. He's still alive, and he's working to sort through his issues. Hopefully he won't off himself, but he has said that he is done with being a goon for awhile. Long-term depression is pretty poo poo for those afflicted.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I missed this whole thing, sounds awful. Can someone fill me in?

HCC showed up and posted a banme thread saying he was gonna kill himself. Goons freaked out and contacted the authorities. He told the authorities he was just kidding, but in reality was contemplating suicide. He has since reached out to friends and some interested parties and made contact and will hopefully now seek the help he needs to move on with his life. No shame in asking for help when you can't see your way out of a bad place in life.

As a result of his dramallama suicide threat thread, he was banned, and has said he has no plans to return.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

I have like permanent depression or something but my personal pride is so intense that I wouldn't give people the satisfaction of killing myself with a gun. That's what they'd except. I'd ritually disembowel myself if it came down to it.

Luckily I've just changed to being bitter and hateful as a coping mechanism.

let it out bro

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Razorwynd is literally ten times the poster than most of TFR can aspire to be

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

I am a truthsayer. Truth is what I say.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

priznat posted:

Is Razorwynd SSB's RL name? Eugene Razorwynd, Esq.

If so, I concur. Every time before I post I ask myself "will this measure up to his example?" and the answer is always no but I post it anyway. The shame keeps me grounded.

Razorwynd was his previous account name, way back in the day. You young'ins weren't around.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

MORLOCK is indeed the HK testing singoff. Or, was. Come to think of it it's been awhile since anyone in TFR bought NIB HKs and posted the casing envelope.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Well I have my Kahr K9 (electroless nickel finish, NYPD trigger) in my hands and it is AMAZING. I am kind of glad I didn't let my practical side talk me into something as boring as a Glock 19

Anyway, is Federal 124gr Hydra-Shok still the ideal 9mm round for defense?

Winchester SXTs or Federal HSTs.

And you're a crazy, weird little man.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Correct~

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The slide release is in the correct place on Mossbergs. The 870 slide release is utterly stupid.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Where is it on the Mossbergs?

Where it belongs: Behind the trigger guard.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The Automator posted:

Two quick questions:

I want a Surefire V70 holster to attach to a MOLLE rig, like so:

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

The problem is that the rear loop is solid plastic.

How the gently caress did they manage to get it to go through the PALS webbing?

Will 7.62 Magpuls fit x39 AK mags? Someone on another forum said the 5.56 version does. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing before I drop the money.

You cut it like a repair fastex (on an angle) or you ziptie it.

And no. They fit M14 and FAL mags. They sure dont fit VZ mags which are pretty close to identical to AK mags in terms of dimensions.

5.56 SHOULD stretch No promises. Worst case, you make ghetto pulls with zipties, paracord, and 100MPH tape

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The Automator posted:

Zipties are the only way I can see it working. I just can't wrap my tiny little brain around how I could cut it to loop through webbing.

Someone talked about boiling the Magpuls for like a minute before stretching them over the AK mags. I'll truck over to the next gun show and see if anyone is selling them individually before I invest in like 8 of them.

Like so. I'd personally prefer zipties but some people who buy gear to basically cosplay in are averse to them so I figured I'd mention the repair cut method.

This cutting method is also how you get fastex replacements etc on stuff without unstitching.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

5.56 magpuls will fit 7.62 and 5.45 AK mags, both steel and poly. No boiling or preheating necessary, though a light olive oil & garlic sauté can really spice them up.

rub me with pepper and sear my outsides; savor my juicy insides

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

gimpsuitjones posted:

Magpul CTR: All polymer construction, yes?

As in, won't show up on an X-ray, yes?

you dont know how x-rays work do you

edit: oh hey another page

welp it needed repeating

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Catdonkey posted:

Any brands to avoid?

Always avoid Magtech ammo if you can in my opinion. It's not very good!!!!!!!!!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I just got some Leight electronic earpro, and I've spent pretty much all day sitting on my couch watching TV while wearing them.

Is that wrong?

every so often, clap really hard near the mic

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Mirconium posted:

Yeah, I've got a loving question.

Why does tacking "International" onto a competition name automatically make it a billion times harder?

Are Americans basically the pussies of the shooting world or something?

I'm hoping we aren't just pussies with guns in our hands.

what the sweet gently caress are you babbling about

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

hagrd posted:

Define "not very good"

Are we talking function, accuracy, fouling what?

This isn't the first time I've heard this about Magtech but I've never really understood why.
It's a very commonly used brand over here, for practice and competition.
Personally I haven't had a single malfunction in over 10000rounds of 124gr 9mm(9B).

Do you guys get a different kind over there?

They're gross as poo poo and I've seen more fail-to-fire (round at fault) problems with Magtech than literally any two other brands combined. In my experience, it's terrible.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gah, you're right. Color me corrected. I must have looked at the wrong sheet last night, or misread it, or something. I just went back and re-checked and there it is, 2nd from the bottom.

And yes, I keep up to date (or at least reasonably so) MSDS sheets on most of the chemicals that I use to clean/maintain my guns. A long while back I (we're talking early undergrad, here) I went through a science geek phase, and this is one aspect which never quite wore off.

Ah, yes, 1995.

(You're old and dorky. So loving dorky. Monumentally dorky.)

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Seriously why do you even take issue with it at all? What the gently caress is possibly remotely wrong with needing to keep documentation for poisonous goods -- common or not -- around? What issue could you possibly take with a binder in a desk drawer somewhere containing two sheets of paper?

Good God man.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Fang posted:

Just that it's unnecessary, pointless, and stupid. It also denotes a lack of judgement on the part of those enforcing safety rules and trivializes the safety rules that are relevant.

Explain how you think it denotes a lack of judgment or trivializes workplace safety to have the chemical data for poisonous substances available to workers.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Fang posted:

I don't have to explain it because that isn't what I said.

yes it is?

iyaayas01 posted:

This is a UCI covering every single possible aspect of our unit. Not just environmental, or OSH, or anything like that...Every. Single. Possible. Thing. This was during a SAV (some folks came in to "help" us determine if we weren't in compliance) so I guess I'm a) annoyed that they would mention such a flippant thing, and b) annoyed that the actual inspector would even care.

How many office environments do you see that have a loving MSDS for windex and hand sanitizer? And not just "hand sanitizer," but a different MSDS for every single brand of hand sanitizer in the office?

I'm 110% behind keeping an MSDS for anything that is remotely industrial/hazardous, and like I said before, I don't have that big of a problem with an shop that has other stuff that needs an MSDS throwing in the MSDS for cleaning supplies, etc. Why I have a problem with requiring office environments to do it is that it's not as simple (at least by the Air Force's rules) as putting a binder with two sheets of paper in it in a desk drawer. There are very specific posting, placarding, displaying, and marking requirements for where and how you keep your MSDS. To make an office go through all that asspain for nothing more than windex and hand sanitizer is loving retarded.

youre literally whining that the government has its nose in your job... working for the government. try to get some perspective.

iyaayas01 posted:

Like Fang said, requiring MSDS for something that everyone knows is completely harmless (windex)
I want you to spray your eyes with Windex and then drink the bottle and then come back and post regular updates about your health, since it's so harmless and everyone knows this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

I think you protest too much...this isn't a "hurr gubmint" rant, this is a "hurr stupidity" rant. Honestly, half the OSH rules we follow aren't OSHA driven, they're Air Force driven. You're taking my "while MSDS is generally a good thing but this particularly application of the rule is retarded" rant and turning it into a "haha, look at this dumb tea party paultard right wingnut who wants the government to stop protecting workers from nasty chemicals even though he works for the government! haha!" Stop.

From the Windex MSDS: "EMERGENCY OVERVIEW - The product contains no substances which at their given concentration, are considered to be hazardous to health"

So yes, Windex is more or less harmless.

The Air Force wants to ensure safety and prevent lawsuits and you're whining about their attention to health and happiness.

And you still won't drink it or spray in your eyes so I would go ahead and stop playing like you think Windex is water.