Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

thermobollocks posted:

My question: What the hell do I do about the rings forming in my .357 cylinder when I shoot .38? I've tried brass-brushing the piss out of it with some Hoppes, but no dice.

My solution was as follows:

1. Lay the cylinder on its side and swab shooter's choice liberally on the rings with a q-tip. Let soak for a few hours.
2. Flip cylinder upside down, repeat step one.
3. Cut the ring off a cleaning brush and attach it to either a dremel or cordless drill and run the thing on a low setting for about ten seconds per cylinder.

Repeat if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

SadWhaleFamily posted:

An Erma-Werke KGP68A in .380ACP. It looks like Erma-Werke is (was?) a German company making other-caliber copies of the P.08. Are they any good?

A friend has a .22 luger made by Erma that doesn't function for poo poo regardless of the level of cleaning or ammo used. At $300 or so, I might buy one for the sheer novelty (in .380, as I've never seen that variant before), but anyone I've ever talked to that owned or shot the .22 Erma lugers agreed that they were monumental piles of rear end.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What the hell does high speed low drag mean?

Seriously, and as best as I can tell, high-speed refers to the fact that it can be brought into action quickly, and low-drag means that there's nothing that can get caught on anything or no unnecessary motions or operations that you don't need. So "high-speed, low-drag" could refer to a gun or knife itself, but more bizarrely, it could refer to the people who use those things.

Given that most anything or anyone in the firearms industry could be sold as being "HSLD," it's meaningless. Most companies do not set out to eliminate their competitive edge with products that are notoriously slow to wield and cumbersome to operate.

It would be interesting to trace the etymology of the word, though.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

iyaayas01 posted:

So...without being a petulant little "me me me" bitch, does everyone seriously not care about my "Grandfather has a Winchester 62A and 97 and Stevens 5100 among other cool guns" post?

Grandpa has grandpa guns. Story at 11.

Seriously, though, if you want to get a good idea of what the guns will realistically sell for, go on Gunbroker.com and search for the models you posted within the completed auctions.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Other great uses for $10:

200+ rounds of .22
A sandwich
Two pints of beer
cheesecake wheel

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

bunnielab posted:

Holy hell stop recommending an N frame for someone with small hands.

The grip isn't the big part of the gun. Throw a pair of Magnas on there (or even a T-grip adapter) and it's still not going to be as fat around the grip as even a Glock.

Now, if you have the iconic Coke bottle grips on there, well, that's another story.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Captain Log posted:

Just got an email from my boss that his buddy is selling a S&W 38. "Centennial" edition that is hammerless. No more info. $300.

While I asked for more info is that a buy?

Yeah, easily. Even on the low end you can flip it for a $100 profit if you end up hating it.

Edit: assuming that this is one of the original vintage centennials and not one of the scandium frame things. If it has the lock hole on it, it's a fair price, but not a screaming deal.

hangedman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2010

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

SouthsideSaint posted:

I have a quick question. Why do some of the snub S&W revolvers have that weird flat barrel? Is there an added bonus Or special reason for this? Also I have been looking at used S&W model 15's on J&G and they have a weird funk on some of the grips. What would be a good way of cleaning them?

Looks like dirt, and those grips are rubber. Take them off and wash them in the sink?

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Also why is making a bottle-necked chamber for a revolver unfeasible? (disregarding pressure stuff)

Check out the .22 Jet. It was a tapered, bottlenecked cartridge that S&W chambered in their N-frames that had functioning problems out the wazoo, so they discontinued it. I don't think too many people have been wanting to repeat that mistake. Basically what would happen is that firing full-power loads would make the brass back out of the chamber and lock up the cylinder.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question on .22 rifles: My club is having some CMP-type sporter competitions, and the rifle has to meet weight limits and should be magazine fed for speed. I have an elderly 1950's era Savage Model 87A semi auto, but it has only open sights and I think that there is no provision for a sling. Should I take it to a gunsmith and get it modified for a 4x or 6x scope and a sling, or should I just go and look at a semi-auto or bolt operated, magazine fed .22? If 'no' to the gunsmith mods, any ideas on a good quality .22 rifle, perhaps a CZ or other brand?

I'd leave the Savage unmodified, truthfully.

A few unconventional choices if you're feeling a little spendy:

Thompson R55
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireR55Benchmark.php

Browning T-bolt
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=021B&cat_id=025&type_id=175&content=t-bolt-sporter-firearms

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Pitch posted:

Also Kate Beaton but sadly the approval has not been mutual ever since she got e-stalked by GBS and has never returned to the forums.

Poor thing. I'm continually surprised by how this forum feels nothing like the rest of SA. Instead of graciously saying, "Your work is both funny and whimsical: congratulations, and thanks for the laughs!" she gets people who stalk her?

Her newest is especially funny.
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=276

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Pitch posted:

But no one here is gonna tell me about TFR's moral high ground when the best they could do with a new visitor was making fun of his deadly medical condition within six hours of his first post.

Ouch. I rescind my earlier comment, then.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Actual question for you military goons.

I have a client of mine who needs me to ghostwrite a segment in a novel about a guy who lies about his military experience and gets his number pulled.

As a little backgrounder to this, it's non-fiction in the sense that the guy actually did serve, but exaggerated what he did to someone who had also spent some time in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

I'm looking for something that would be a fairly plausible mistake for someone to make that would be sniffed out almost immediately by somebody (i.e., earning a Navy-specific medal and claiming to be in the Air Force, or claiming to have earned a medal or award that is only given to one theater of operations and not the one the guy claimed he was in).

My idea would be a guy claiming to have received the Purple Heart without actually having been wounded, but that's about the extent of my medal knowledge, and it seems like that's a mistake that would be made by precisely zero people who had any military experience whatsoever.

Help a brother out? Alternatively, if you called BS on someone who lied about their service, what tipped you off that they were full of horse poo poo?

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Fang posted:

If a boresnake is not all you need to clean a barrel, then saying that a barrel is cleaned with a boresnake would be an oxymoron.

Would you mind giving us a general rundown of the procedure you use and the amount of time involved? It could be useful to a lot of us who figure that boresnakes are "good enough" for the task at hand.

I'm one of those people who typically feel that "cleaning" is something I need to do just enough to have my firearms continue to function. For better or for worse, until my .357s develop rings from shooting .38s that make chambering the magnum rounds more difficult, or until I can feel the slides of my autoloaders getting a little sluggish, I typically don't clean my guns.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

IuniusBrutus posted:

substance: I have an M16A1 clone. I want to keep it that way, thus a flattop upper is not an option. Who makes the best carry handle scope mount, and what would be a decent short range (<200 yards, usually 100 yards) scope for it?

Well, if you're going for period-correct, you could always add on the scopes that Colt made for the M16a1 carry handle. They have reproductions, too, but something like this might be an option.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188535591

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Awesome as the Colt scope is, I have virtually zero temptation to put it on my A1-style rifle. I have an 18" SPR build with rails, a bipod, and a scope that's heavy as balls. Much of the reason I got the A1 was because I wanted a platform I liked that was a hell of a lot lighter and a hell of a lot simpler, so accessorizing it would kind of defeat the purpose of why I got it in the first place.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Honestly, what I did was buy a surplus M16 upper assembly off of gunbroker. Mine was an FNMI (which I've been told is rare), but most are surplus Colts. From there, I just bought an A1 grip, an A1 buttstock, and a bolt carrier group. The only difference my build has from the authentic A1s is that it's made from a modern lower, so it isn't the "slick side" type. I think Nodak Spud has those matched to the Colt gray of most of the older receivers.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

With regards to bear calibers, and while I'm aware that this always heads into "file down the front sight har har" territory, is there a reason to denigrate a 20 gauge loaded with buckshot or slugs when used against black bear when a lot of people say that a hot-loaded .357 magnum is acceptable? Seems to me like any non-birdshot 20ga load would be a lot more devastating than .357.

If I'm wrong on this, please enlighten me.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Thanks. Really just curious, as I'm not really a nature or a hunting person, and it's probably pretty statistically remote that I'll run into a black bear around my Los Angeles apartment complex. I just like to sort through the bullshit when it comes to "X" is good for "Y" in the gun world.

I know Garrett makes a line of bullets/cartridges which are really heavy-for-caliber hunting rounds from .44 on up. So if someone told me that I had to shoot a bear and I had to use a handgun, then I'd probably go that route. The 20ga/.357 thing exists in my mind as attempting to set the bar at the bare minimum of what might be considered acceptable if not ideal.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

How much time do you think it's going to be before...

1) Someone makes a rail-mount bear spray canister
2) Someone attaches it to one of those .45 Bushmaster / .50AE ARs
3) A company sees this on one of the gun message boards and begins marketing it as "The Ultimate Bear Defense Long Arm."
4) Failing #3, Taurus simply goes whole hog and claims that the Judge is great for bears, too.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Since we're talking IRC, is there any way I can join the chat without having to install some kind of IRC client on my computer? I remember a while back I could just join the fun and shoot the poo poo through my browser.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Plywood Terrier posted:

Going to double post this from the revolver thread:

It's kind of hard to see in the pic, but should the cylinder be gouging the metal this bad on my 642?

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Clean it real good and then take a picture that's actually in focus. It's hard to tell what exactly you're talking about there and hard to differentiate what might be fouling from what might be a gouge.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Plywood Terrier posted:

Here's a better one:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

To me it looks like you're simply seeing carbon fouling in the groove that guides the center pin into its recess in the frame. As Craptacular said, I wouldn't worry.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I'd just buy more guns.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

NosmoKing posted:

So, I'm seriously thinking about adding a Witness Match to the pile of poo poo in the gun room.

Who has them for a decent price??

At first I wanted to go the 9mm route, but I may have convinced my dumbass self that I need the 10mm auto.

The 6" Witness Hunter in 10mm is mega cool, too. The obvious answer would be gunbroker simply for availability if Bud's or some other reputable online store doesn't have them.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Hey, a serious gun-related question here.

We're all told that dry-firing rimfire guns not designed to handle it is a bad thing because it fucks up the breech face. And yet, anyone with a rimfire .22 (and one that isn't made to be dry-fired) is going to have a round that won't chamber, in which case the firing pin is going to hit the rim. Murphy's law and all that. It's certainly happened to me with all of my rimfires once or twice.

I know that the firing pin might break in some designs, but it's usually a $10 part that shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

But let's go to the other extreme: has anyone ever heard of anyone loving up the breech face so much from dry-firing that the gun was rendered dangerous or inoperable? What's the worst-case scenario that can result from a peened breech face?

If the worst thing that could happen is a burr developing in the chamber after hundreds or thousands of pin strikes, couldn't a gunsmith fix this in about 10 minutes with some careful filing or polishing?

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Cyrano4747 posted:

Peening

Makes perfect sense, thanks. A friend of mine recently bought a Sig / Hammerli Trailside and I was telling him it was a bad idea to dry-fire rimfire guns, but I was at a loss as to why, specifically.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Black Stormy posted:

Yea, but its still a striker gun, so it really serves no purpose.

Logically, no. There are several people who aren't comfortable with carrying Glocks and other striker-fired pistols because they have some idea that they're "Always cocked and all you have to do is pull the trigger." The manual safety is just an extra measure of caution. From S&W's perspective, it lets them sell the M&P to a demographic that isn't fully comfortable with them without having to design another pistol.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Propagandalf posted:

Mossberg M44's are built like brick shithouses. They're single shot, heavy as hell, laser accurate with peep sights and many of them came from the CMP as USMC/USN basic training surplus.

Mossberg 44s are fed via a 7-round detachable magazine. Or at least my 44(b) model is, but I could have sworn that the others were, too.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

AR posted:

List

Yeah, seriously, whoever was collecting those guns obviously had an itch for poo poo that was rare or impressive. Amazing that absolutely the only thing on there that doesn't evince some kind of drooling or wow-factor is the SKS or maybe the garden-variety AKs.

Basically, if the collection is being sold by the guy who bought them all, expect them to be sold off at prices commensurate with what they're worth. If the guy has an SR-25 and a legit Automag, the dude knows they're worth more than about $400. However, if the collector passed away and it's just his kids looking to cash out with some quick money, you might score some gems.

Also, holy poo poo: the guy has one of those P-38 clones in .22lr? I've always had my eye out for one of those as a shits and giggles gun (and despite my poor experiences with the Erma .22 Luger clones).

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

tomstuart posted:

I would like to get some gun mags to have laying around the house. Any suggestions on ones that are pretty good/decent and have good photos and good writing?

I'm partial to American Handgunner. They hold themselves to a higher standard than most, and it shows.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

How good of a friend is the guy?

If he'd help you move or you'd call him if you needed to be picked up from the airport, give him the $1200. If he's just some guy who you know is all right, I'd give him $900 for the package.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

BaronW posted:

Has there been any scientific evidence that barrel break-in provides a statistically significant improvement in accuracy over just going hog wild?

Voodoo, from what I can tell. I've never read a single piece, onlineor published, that's actually backed up the claim that it's necessary.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I know it might not be helpful to you, CougarsWrath, but I'm running that exact setup on my M1 Carbine (right down to the Aimpoint M2 clone) and it's a retarded amount of fun. Even if it takes you an entirely new gun to pull it off, you and your pops are sure to have a good time with it.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Ninja Rope posted:

Has anyone shot a Sig X5? Regular 226's are a little big for my hands, but workable. I'm worried that the beaver tail will make the pistol seem even larger. That or I could put a match trigger and red dot on my USP...

It's large, but not any more so than the standard P226. You're basically just getting a better trigger and another inch and a half or so of sight radius. I like them quite a lot. The only downside, as Kuffs mentioned, is that they're spendy as all get-out. Attempting to price them a while back, I never saw a single one marked at any less than $1650 locally. And at that point, it's only another $200 or $300 in there to source a Sig P210.

Although I could have easily ended up with an X5 (and still may, one day) I ended up going with a S&W Performance Center 952, which dimensionally is thinner and has an unquestionably better trigger. The CZ-75 TS is also a much more cost-efficient choice if you want a high-capacity 9mm target gun with quite possibly the lightest trigger ever made in a production gun.

If you've got the scratch, any of those level of guns is going to treat you very, very well. And although modding out your USP is going to be easier, in my opinion I've never been happy with trying to force a gun already in my collection to do something a new gun would probably do better.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

For those of you who are FN-X or FNP-9 owners: does your trigger slap you on the reset? I fired one at my range, and I liked the dimensions and trigger pull (up until the shot broke, anyway), but I put about 20 rounds through the gun and called it quits. The thing slapped my finger so frequently that I resigned myself to never, ever owning one ever, but I want to make sure that I'm giving the gun a fair shake.

If the pistol is doing that to you guys though, I have absolutely no idea why you'd all recommend it so highly.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Uncle Caveman posted:

I never noticed any slap on mine - could just be a busted range gun?

or you are just a pussy

I don't deny being a monumental pussy. Seriously, though, that thing was worse than my CZ-52, which is notorious for that poo poo. There are a lot of guns that don't whack my trigger finger, so I decided to shoot one of those. The groups I was getting with the FNP were phenomenal, but the slap was getting a little... distracting.

Anyway, it's good to know it was just the range's gun. Beyond that one issue, I liked everything about it. The SA pull seemed crisper than just about any production gun I've shot, including stock 1911s and Sigs.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Alternately, I have a few of these in my (tiny) safe right now and they work fabulously. They're rubber-coated so they go inside of the barrel and keep the pistols in the middle of the safe. I have more handguns than rifles, so this has literally doubled the amount of guns I can store.

http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/two-pack-handgun-hangers-257.html

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

kuffs posted:

Are they strong enough for your raceguns? I wonder about my PPC gun.

...They do the job. There's a little bit of bend in the wires, but not enough to angle the things down so much that the guns slip right off of them. You can actually see that happening in the product photo with the gun on the far left. Right now, the heaviest guns I have on there are a full-sized 1911 and a 6" S&W 586, and the hangers handle the weight of both just fine. Everything else (including my 952 and the CZ-75TS) gets put in a zippered gun rug and stacks on top of the shelf. So all in all, it adds room for about 6 more pistols in a 10-gun safe.

If anything, I wonder if the big sight rib on that Ruger of yours would end up scraping the top of the shelf, because the hangers go into the barrel. The weight should be fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

kuffs posted:

Did you ever box thread your 952? I keep looking at the 52 series pretty lustfully since I started keeping 38 wadcutter around now for the Ruger.

Yes and no. Here on Something Awful? No. However, I combined my 952 and CZ-75TS into something of a shootoff aricle that -- when last I checked with the editors -- is going to run in the next American Handgunner annual edition.

I'd post some of the pictures from the session as well as other details of the article, but I don't know whether or not they'd be okay with me posting images that they're paying for in a roundabout kind of way.

I'll make a thread about the 952 (eventually) if you think people would be interested. The impression I get is that most of TFR thinks, "You spent $1400 on a Smith and Wesson autoloader that isn't a 1911? HA!"

The King of Swag posted:

I would actually worry about the heavier pistols shaking off during an Earthquake; especially with the transverse faults we have here in California. If the alignment of the barrel is perpendicular to the motion of the s-wave (parallel to its transverse waveform), then it would take a relatively small earthquake to simply throw it off the metal rail in the barrel. This could be easily remedied by putting some sort of lockable bar behind them though, or simply positioning them so that when the safe is closed, they physically can't move far back enough to fall off.

You're absolutely right.

^^

poo poo happens. You're correct in that there's not a lot of clearance behind the pistols once the safe door shuts, so there's a chance they could stay on there even with some shaking. But even if I'm wrong, most of my guns are hardy enough to survive a three-foot drop once every six to ten years.