Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

I'm also pretty sure it's very difficult to create and maintain a foolproof "one-step" AR-15 receiver machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

You should definitely try them at a range, if you can. I personally do not like Glocks. There's just something about their aesthetics and feel that rubs me the wrong way.

Also you are wrong the ideal handgun is a Sig P226.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

ShaiHulud posted:

It may as well be. You think American hicks invented the jackalope? Nope.

Fun with taxidermy.

Not to disagree with you about hicks or that whole crypto-taxidermy hobby, but interestingly, Jackalope legends are likely based in part on a horrific viral infection rabbits can get that causes horn-like tumors on their head and face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Rusted? What kind of metal is the casing made of?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Pooky posted:

Just to be a sure, this thing is stable right? I can't imagine it would go off even if I tried, I found it in a pool of water and it's pretty crusted over, but I wouldn't really know.

It's possible that it would still fire just fine (provided water hasn't gotten inside), but the oxidized buildup might physically get in the way of firearm action... anyway, live cartridges are fairly safe outside of actual firearms. If you hammered on the primer and it blew up, you might get brass shrapnel in the area, but the bullet itself wouldn't go very far.

*edit* I don't actually know the stats on ammo failure in damp conditions over X years, and am also not advising that you fire it out of a gun to see.

Locus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 16, 2010

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

My real name is MORLOCK.

Is that guy still signing the test-firings for H&K? <-- Legitimate question in a TFR questions thread.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Boner Wad posted:

When handgun ammunition states that it is 115 grains, is that the bullet weight or the powder amount?

Bullet weight. It would be nice to have the stats on the powder too though...

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Probably an imperfect AI trying to acquire a robot/gun body.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

This seems like the right place to ask...

What's a good military surplus website that isn't full of random chinese reproductions, fantasy knives, and other bullshit? The kind of place you could buy neat dummy rockets and actual boots and such. *edit* Bonus points for neat military/police surplus from interesting non-US countries.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Thanks for the military surplus site recommendations, guys. Those were some cool ones.

Drav posted:

Wait what? What the gently caress did I miss?

Depressing IRL rape and psychology discussion mostly. It shed a lot of light on the book though.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Does anyone have a link to any ATF rulings or information on cosmetic modifications to guns?

Basically I want to know if a gun that's been modified to look like a 1950's ray gun (but is still functionally the same) would run into problems. This isn't an immediately time-sensitive issue, but... I have tentative long-term plans.

*edit* I just remembered raceguns exist...

Locus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

thermobollocks posted:

What, exactly, are you talking about? The NFA stuff is pretty specific. Unless you're adding a shoulder stock/foregrip to a pistol, chopping the barrel, or something like that, you should be fine. However, as Craptacular said, if it looks like not a gun, it counts as an AOW.
Basically I'm wondering if something that looks like a Buck Rogers or even one of the moderately conservative Dr. Grordbort ray guns would fall into "doesn't look like a gun" category. I guess the fact that all of those things are obviously guns at first glance kind of answers my question, but you never know.

*edit* Basically I am a nerd with a little bit of metalworking and raygun design experience and some money.

Locus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 16, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

"Doesn't look like a gun" tends to mean more like "specifically designed to look like a cane/dildo/keychain/small dog", not "looks like an awesome gun". Otherwise any gun that looked any different from the totally generic revolvers/1911s/etc. would be regulated. State/local regs in a few specific places (or maybe just New York City) can also regulate guns painted to look like toys, but that's about it and if you're in one of those places you'd probably know it.

Also post pictures

Cool. I will definitely post pictures if/when I eventually put something together. I decided I might as well set my sights on a longer term fun art project rather than build another AR or something like that (sorry Miso ). For now, sketching and research.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

In that case what would a good starter rifle be, just a straight AR-15? I've never cared much for the aesthetics of them, should I just suck it up and get one anyway?

For what it's worth (3-gun aside, no idea about that), I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of AR-15s, but they are definitely fun to shoot.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I hope the new QOTSA album is more like Rated R or Songs for the Deaf than Era Vulgaris. I hope the newest The Kills album is more like No Wow or Keep on Your Mean Side than Midnight Boom.

Hey is there a page that lists good red dot sights, or does anyone have any budget recommendations? I want something for my AR-15, but I don't want to spend $20 on a piece of crap, or $350-$600 on a rad one.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I sat near Sylvester Stallone eating at an Italian restaurant during Comic-Con 2010. He looked short, and was wearing a black shirt with sequins or something.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Whats with the Ruger P-series hate?

I've only shot a P90, but I'll go ahead and hazard a guess that everyone thinks they're uncomfortable ugly bricks that are as rough and clunky as the worst communist surplus pistols without any of the charm or tough-as-nails construction style.

*edit* That came out a little harsh, but the one I rented was my least favorite pistol I've ever held or fired.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

You forgot Boiling Point!

Just kidding, I know none of us could actually forget such a great game.

*edit* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HveFn-T-j8Q

Locus fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 10, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

recon_etc posted:

I'm pretty late to the party but America's Army has a jamming mechanism (the animation is just a TRB on the M16/M4), to the point of having a seperate key bind for 'clear jam'. The jamming also never comes up (at least, when I played it) leading to hilarious moments where a jam happens at the most inopportune time and some poor player keyboard-mashes because he's freaking and can't remember which button 'clear jam' is bound to.

Did they ever make that game awesome again? I played it a decent amount in early/mid period back when it was amazing and the guns were right out of a Michael Mann movie, but then I tried it again on one of their more recent attempts at an update, and it was a buggy piece of crap, and every gun sounded like it was firing paintballs.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

recon_etc posted:

I haven't actually played ever since I visited the live demo/not-a-recruiting-station they had set up at an amusement park nearby. It's distributed through Steam now and there's a lot more training to be had along with (presumably) new mechanics, and it plays all right for your run-of-the-mill tactical (in the counter-strike sense) unreal FPS. The latest main revision (3) seems to have okay firearm sounds but msot likely I'm probably horribly wrong because I can't tell a .44mag apart from a dog barking sharply.

Yeah, pretty weak sounds. In the older versions, they had this amazing deafening crashing echo when you shot guns inside rooms and stuff. It was one of the only games out at the time (9 years ago) where guns actually sounded loud.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Car-bine.

Option B is way cooler because it doesn't include "bean".

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Car-bine sounds like a piece of farm equipment.

Car-bean sounds like a piece of farm produce.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I think I missed out on that episode, or just passed it off as the random bitching that happens in this forum from time to time.

What kind of Serbian war criminal? And how do you even figure that out about someone?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I'm sure GI Joe Dirtbag is a horrible person who deserved permabanning or worse, but I wouldn't blame anyone for going all "Boy Who Cried Wolf" in this subforum when it comes to belligerent posting.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

A rifle, or a pistol? The stock answer for a starting gun is a Ruger 10/22 (rifle), since they're inexpensive, well made, and are viewed through the rose-tinted glasses of our collective childhood.

*edit* Here is the newbie thread link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221380

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Gripped in your teeth like a pirate knife.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I always thought the US sketched out over things that could throw the gently caress out of a knife.
I think there is some law covering those spring-loaded knives (or knife) that actually fire their blades... but I'm having trouble envisioning exactly where the line is between crossbow and "special knife" now.

Sort of on topic - anyone have a link to a straight answer related to the legal status of 37mm (or any other flare caliber) chalk rounds?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Question: What are some of the jankiest, weirdest close/midrange optics ever made? A while back people were posting pictures of those old pre-red dot sights that were opaque. In general I'm just curious about the various ugly/bizarre things that time and marketing has forgotten.

Now that I think about it, what was that bizarre UFO-shaped optic on a gun in those early S.T.A.L.K.E.R. screenshots and videos? I assume it has something to do with rangefinding and grenades.
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/io/4425/stalker_large3.jpg

*edit* Also thank you walrusman for recommending Primary Arms for budget sights. I got their Aimpoint Micro style model and it's pretty sweet.

Locus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 3, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I'm actually curious about stun guns too. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions, but they're usually negative, in terms of self-defense.

What about collapsible batons? I suppose that depends on your general level of strength and fighting experience. Same story with a knife (which you could buy when you get there and leave behind on the trip back).

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Tell us about archaeology, WangCommander!

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Last summer there were enough lady bugs in my ceiling crawling through my light fixture that I bought a dust buster. They look cute until you hear five of them going "dink dink dink" off your light for HOURS.

What I am saying here is should I have used a gun?

Ladybugs will bite, so yes.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Just use the Weight Tool and bump it up a couple hundred points. That'll keep the constraints and welds from bouncing around when you move the object. Remember you can rotate stuff by holding E.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm an elitist jerk!

A guy on my Facebook posted a picture of himself posing dramatically with a HiPoint pistol and I had to stop myself from instinctively saying anything offensive.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Hey TFR if you found this in the pocket of a Swiss jacket from Sportsman's Guide... well, I mean, what is it?

Does it arm something awesome and explosive like a rocket launcher, or is it used to unlock a modular latrine or something less cool like that.

*edit* Answered in the TFR photo thread:

Reforger posted:

It's a clip on night sight for the flip up rear sight of the Stgw 57.

Locus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 2, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

SadWhaleFamily posted:

He specifically believes that Serbian mercenaries are after him, and he wants people to be The Phantom, not Batman

Well, at least that last part is rational. The Phantom is like fifty times cooler than Batman.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Where is the best place online to get novelty patches?

I haven't used them, but http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438192&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Looks like Gray Stormy is picking up a Chairborne Devision one right now.

*edit* Oops, should have refreshed. Well, there's the link.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Is there anything I'd be missing out on by buying a Savage Model 11 instead of a Remington 700 or a Ruger M77 or a Browning A-Bolt? The Savage is just so much cheaper its hard to imagine getting a similar-quality product...

Others can elaborate on specifics, but I do know you'd be giving up the ability to spend $799.00 and put this on a Remington 700...

(I am only kind of joking)

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Just carefully prop a bucket of LSD on top of the half-open door to the gun closet. Make sure the bucket is aluminum or steel or something the molecules can't permeate.

(Or seconding the recommendation of a modular safe, if your future moving plans allow you carry around a few giant slabs of metal that add up to ~300lbs)

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

I'm nowhere near an expert, but I think American punk sort of went the way of modern metal. In other words, it started out subtle and musical in the 60's/70's and then became an arms race over the past 50 years to see who could be the most extreme until a lot of it turned into crashing noises and yelling.

Guns are pretty punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

spankmeister posted:

I don't consider anything past the 80's punk but that's just me.

Yeah I was struggling to come up with a 90's/00's band example. Not that I wouldn't welcome something high quality and modern...