Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Count Sacula posted:

The PPS seems like a winner on paper, but I can't find anywhere here (Tampa) to rent one. What's the word, TFR?
I'm really looking forward to S&W figuring out what the gently caress is wrong with my PPS so they can get it back to me. I bought it two months ago and it had a serious and very apparent/reproducible problem (sear not releasing striker) the first day. I called, waited for a return shipping label, sent it back, and got it back in just over a week. Same goddamn problem, so repeat again. Same goddamn problem again, so repeat again, except this time they've had it for 4.5 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

SouthsideSaint posted:

1) Could i turn FMJ into a hollow point bullet by drilling out the actual bullet?
The ABC's of Reloading warns against such, at least with rifle rounds, saying that it can cause pressure issues.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

gauss posted:

$445 is a pretty good price for a cosmetically worn (heavy holster wear) but mechanically sound P226 right? I haven't joined the SIG parade and would really like to :ohdear:
That's a good price if you can get it out the door for around that amount. We see them for sale in similar condition for $400-450 online, plus shipping and transfer fee, and that's still considered a pretty solid deal if you're in the market.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Looks like $200.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dak+conversion+site%3Asigsauer.com

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=150601935&m=1050024102

It looks like unless you can buy the parts used, you may be better off sending it to Sig and having them do the work, but of course then you have to factor in shipping.

Unless the gun has some sentimental value, you'd probably come out better by selling your gun and buying one with a DAK trigger.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

rally posted:

If one were to obtain the parts cheap, would they probably just drop or does it normally require some fitting?
They'd drop in, assuming that your frame is DAK-compatible. By the way, when it comes to detail stripping the P series guns, this video is great.

iioshius posted:

Do you guys have any experience with the SAO Sig P220? They're on sale for $689, new, from CDNN. Is that a good price? Are these good guns? I'd assume so, since Sigs seem to have a good reputation on TFR, but I've never met anyone who's handled the SAO variant, and there isn't one anywhere near where I live to try and test it out myself.
I've never shot one, but they have a pretty solid reputation. That's a decent price, and I would say it's a great price if it comes with the Houge Hogue aluminum grips that run about $150 new (I think the CDNN guns do, or at least they did when they popped up a few months ago).

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

walrusman posted:

No one cares about my scope question either. :unsmith:
Over in the long-range shooting thread someone just bought a Bushnell 3200 10x40 for under $200 and he likes it. It seems to fit your buddy's needs. For a little bit more money maybe look at he SWFA Super Sniper scopes. I don't have any experience with these, but they seem to be well-liked for the money.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I like turtles posted:

the Remington 870, specifically the Wingmaster and Police variants. You can often find these used at a local pawn shop for $150-$200.

Now, now, don't get the guy's hopes up. If you can negotiate a non-beat-to-poo poo Wingmaster or Police 870 down to $200 plus tax, that's a hell of a deal, and not one that you find often in pawn shops, at least around here.

As for the original question, the biggest differences are probably a tang-mounted safety on Mossberg versus a trigger group-mounted safety on the 870. The Mossberg safety is ambidextrous, but the 870's safety is in a more useful position.

Load it with buckshot, and don't short stroke it.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Catdonkey posted:

Getting my first gun soon, so I will have to buy ammo for it (9mm). Can anyone give me the quick rundown on the different ammo brands/manufacturers? Info on both target and defense ammo would be great.
For practice/range ammo it's hard to beat the 100 round value packs of Winchester "white box" that you get at Walmart. Figure about $0.25/round after tax.

For defensive ammo, I and a lot of other people like Speer Gold Dot ammo. I like the 124gr +P stuff, in particular. It comes 50 rounds/box, so I'd buy at least two boxes so you can run a few mags' worth through to test.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

The_Franz posted:

I am seriously considering a 556 classic. However,
I bought a 556 Classic a little over a year ago and have put probably around 1000 rounds through it. It has been 100% reliable. Fit and finish is respectable, although not "boutique AR-15" level.

I wasn't pleased with my accuracy, initially. I was looking at 4-5" groups at 100 yards with a 4.5x optic and good factory ammo. After much testing and experimentation, the gun went back to Sig. They replaced the gas block and barrel. Accuracy is now where I expect it, which is to say about 2 MOA. For reference, I get about 1.25 MOA out of my "boutique AR-15." I'll say that I've also sent a pistol back to Sig in the last couple of years, and they treated me right there as well.

If you like the 522 and might be in the market for a gun like the 556, the current deal is pretty fantastic.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I am a huge pussy and refuse to shoot a centerfire rifle without both plugs and electronic muffs.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Anjow posted:

I don't quite understand mil dots. I read a couple of guides, but there's one thing I don't get - zoom. My scope is 3-9 zoom, so if I have it at 3x and I see something that's 1' tall as 1 dot, I can then zoom in and the 1' object will be 3 dots tall. So does one have to factor zoom into the calculations for range? Or have I missed something really simple?
Uncle Caveman is correct. If the reticle is in the second focal plane, the size of the reticle relative to your eye will stay the same as you zoom, but will decrease in size relative to the target. That means you'll have to do some math to do ranging at anything other than your max focal length, and that math will be assuming that your scope's zoom markings are correct (i.e. that you're actually at 5x and not closer to 6x).

If the reticle is in the first focal plane, it's the same size relative to the target no matter what your zoom level, so you can range at any zoom.

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 1, 2010

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Yeah, just experiment where all of the variables are known values and you can figure it out.

My scope is 2.5-10x second focal plane, and is accurate for ranging at 10x. I spot checked at 5x and 2.5x and confirmed that the numbers were off by a factor of 2 and 4, respectively, which was to be expected.

edit: I love it when a post and avatar come together

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I would assume that Factory New means that it has been unopened since it left the factory. Or if it was opened, it was just to check the serial number and confirm that it's the right gun. In other words, I would take Factory New to mean that it hasn't sat on the rack or in the case at the gun shop to be fondled by customers.

You can ask what it comes with, but with shotguns you're just looking at maybe a box/case, manual, lock, and maybe a couple of chokes.

edit: Factory New isn't a gun-specific term, but many shops operate like this where they have a display model but will sell their inventory out of their stock first.

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 15, 2010

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Vorlonesque posted:

Does the PPS still have that issue (with a spring I think) where the slide can get locked up all horribly. I'm tempted to pick one up that I saw...but I'm back and forth on it because of this.
Don't take this as gospel, but I think it has been corrected. Current-production PPS seem to be pretty good. I bought a 2008 production and it sucked. S&W replaced it with a 2009 production and that's been good so far.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Pitch posted:

Seriously, safety glasses for carrying a box of ammo?
Did you miss the part where he explicitly says "when handling primers" in the paragraph that is clearly talking about reloading?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Fang posted:

Neither. It is the arc between the two most distant holes where the center of the arc is the muzzle of the gun. A 2 MOA group is about 2 inches at 100 yards, 4 inches at 200 yards, etc.
Without intending to be too much of either a smartass or a dumbass, but what does the muzzle of the gun have to do with measuring impacts on a target?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Pitch posted:

Because unless your gun is really hosed up, the bullet will travel in a perfectly straight line down the barrel and leaving the muzzle is the first point where it may start to deviate.
Yes, but once the bullets leave the barrel isn't said barrel out of the question in terms of measuring the group? If a wind blows all rounds 3" (or 30 feet) to the right, is the muzzle still the center of the arc? My assumption is that with a large enough sample size, Fang's definition is correct, but for a given 3- or 5- or 10-shot group it isn't necessarily. Is that right, or do I not understand?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Am I more intoxicated than I think, or am I phrasing the question that poorly?

I know that you don't just measure the distance between two bullet impacts at 100 yards. I understand that it is an angular measurement. What I don't understand is why Fang said the center of the arc is the muzzle of the gun.

Fang posted:

It is the arc between the two most distant holes where the center of the arc is the muzzle of the gun.

He's usually pretty precise in his language, so I am wondering if there is something that I don't understand beyond the fundamentals.

edit: I may have had an epiphany. If I'm picturing it correctly, Fang is correct, and Pitch's explanation helped me figure it out. I was thinking about the vector (if I'm using that term correctly) represented by the bullet's path in the barrel, but the angle of a measured group originates at the muzzle. Correct?

edit 2 for Atticus: What I was envisioning was your diagram but with the bullet impacts at, say, 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock instead of at 11:30 and 12:30.

edit 3 for Schigolch: Actually, we're back before square one with that diagram...

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 27, 2010

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I like your picture better. I am on a laptop and my gun kept turning out like poo poo. I am saving yours for future reference.
... but his picture is incorrectly labeled, and doesn't explain the concept of minute of angle at all :confused:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

There are a few trees out at my range that produce hedge apples. These are awesome to set out at ~200 yards and shoot with a rifle, and best of all they're free and self-replenishing.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

_firehawk posted:

I recently purchased an aimpoint comp m2 for my AR and was wondering if TFR has a favorite 30mm mount to look over the front sight?
LaRue

Apparently they've got a new, non-quick detach style of mount that still offers the return-to-zero capability of their lever mounts, but I don't know about price (except that it's lower) or availability.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I bought half a case of Silver Bear 62gr from AIM and I think it's great for the price. I reload .223, but for plinking stuff I'd just prefer to use this stuff. I like the 62gr stuff since it'll do a little better out of a fast-twist barrel.

I've also had pretty good luck with PMC Bronze, but I guess it's fairly dirty relative to other brass-cased ammo. But whatever, I shoot it in my SIG556 that I never clean, and I haven't had any problems.

Actually, I may not be the best person to recommend reliable ammo, because my guns have run fine over thousands of rounds with mixed ammo. I think I had one failure to fire on a Wolf round once, but I may be imagining that.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

also

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Buford T. Justice posted:

Oh TFR what can I say to my crazy father.
If he's set on a piston AR, just try to steer him towards one of the better models. The SIG556 is a fine gun, and Sig actually just came out with their 516 (piston AR), but the latter is so far unproven. Alternatively, why not a SCAR or ACR?

Then tell him to get you a Diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

My sister-in-law (a stay at home mom) had an "alarm salesman" in an unmarked van knock and try to peddle his [vapor]wares. She didn't think anything of it until a couple of weeks later, when the neighbors on either side were burglarized.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Do you people draw up any kind of paperwork when you sell a gun to another in-state private party?

I was thinking something simple like a simple bill of sale with names, price, signatures, and a stipulation that the sale is as-is.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

just do your civic duty and vote guilty jeez guys

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Smiling Jack posted:

Hivemind: tell me about earpro that I can plug my MP3 player into.

Are these any good?
They work well in conjunction with foam earplugs (edit: I do this when shooting loud guns under a canopy, because not only do they help keep the sound down, they amplify ambient noise so I can hear people talk much better than with just plugs in).

I've used these ear buds with the foam tips. They provide enough protection for something like 9mm out in the open, or .22lr, or if something is louder you could put standard muffs over the top.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I swear to God I thought (think?) that Plasma's post is a cut and paste parody of the typical idiot self-defense post. Jesus, it even has the "scare them with the racking" meme.
I'm pretty sure that he meant the sound of a shotgun firing, although why you would carry a lethal weapon to use as a noisemaker is beyond me.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Thepossiblelight posted:

does anyone make a decent iwb holster for revolvers?
Mitch Rosen Workman

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I got some new G10 grips for my RIA 1911, but the ambi safety lever touches the top of the right grip and just barely disengages the safety. I've never handled G10 grips before today; could I take a small file to the top edge of the grip, or am I just going to gently caress them up?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Does anybody have a clever solution for storage/organization of ammunition magazines? I've got dozens (Craptacular chuckles) and of course they're assorted, and in varying configurations (loaded, unloaded, loaded with a certain type of ammo, spares that I keep unloaded and don't use regularly, etc.). They don't stack well and the "clusters" are in weird numbers (e.g. eight .22 AR mags and two PPS 9mm mags).

My current idea: a box of cubbyholes of various sizes. The downside: requires more carpentry skill than I have to do it right.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Sylink posted:

What are my options for safe gun storage in an apartment?
I really like these safes as something that you can relatively easily take with you when you move. You'd probably want to at least bolt it down, though, lest someone have access to a hand truck.

Alternatively I think storing the bolts and whatnot in a small, hidden, locked container would satisfy the safety concern. A personal articles insurance policy would protect you financially for pretty cheap (seems like $10k worth of camera gear cost me $60/year in premiums), and covers basically any kind of loss.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ZebraBlade posted:

On my ar15 I have the front sight post adjusted all the way down and it just barely makes elevation at 50 and 100 yards. I am running a DD fixed front and DD A1.5 fixed rear. Could this be the sights or is something hosed up with my rifle?
Just to be clear, when you say you've adjusted it all the way down, do you mean that the post is physically as low as it will go (turned clockwise, in the direction marked "up") and the point of impact is still lower than the point of aim?

Gtab posted:

you are literally the cutest thing
Careful, I think that's a dude.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

thermobollocks posted:

Do any of you guys use torque wrenches for gun-related stuff, and if so, what kind?
I have yet to use a torque wrench on a firearm, but for car stuff I really like Precision Instruments.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

You can't ship it USPS, legally.

You can ship it UPS/FedEx (anecdotally, UPS seems easier to deal with), but you'll have to go to a shipping hub/distribution center. I got away with shipping it from my local UPS store a few times before the owner told me that UPS slapped his wrist for it. The box needs an ORM-D sticker (writing it on there may be okay, though). There are some limits to how much you can ship, but unless you're talking about multiple cases you probably won't hit them.

I'm sure Google can tell you the rest, but the takeaway here is that you do NOT want to try to ship it USPS.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Avoiding a flinch when you're slow-firing is easy, but I'm interested to know how the really good pistol shooters can fire quickly and get back on target without flinching/anticipating. My trigger pull is pretty good (even when pulling deliberately rather than surprising myself) but I still anticipate that recoil if for no other reason than to get the gun back on target quickly.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

It probably could, you'd also probably have to be careful about the orientation of the press lest some primers get flipped around or dropped. I'd just use the regular Auto Prime and use the hand press for your other operations.

I used the hand press for my first several hundred rifle rounds and it wasn't too bad. Definitely a good alternative for low-volume reloading when you want to be able to stash your whole reloading setup in a shoe box.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I am getting a Sig 522 and I'm pretty stoked about it. I would really like to put some peep sights on it instead of optics, I've got this fetish for iron. Can anyone recommend a decent, budget iron sight set for the Sig 522?
I would say to look at these, but on the ones that came with my 522, I have to run the rear elevation past its maximum to get enough height for a 25 yard zero. I asked Sig if perhaps my front sight is too high, but I haven't gotten a definitive answer yet. That reminds me, I should follow up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Walther PPS? I'm thinking of getting one, they look like a nice carry gun. Anyone have any experience with one?
I bought one (9mm) that ended up being a lemon. After three trips back to S&W they sent me a new one, which has been flawless. I prefer it with the 7 round magazine; I don't shoot as well with the 6 and it doesn't buy much in terms of concealability. The gun is very Glock-like in its feel and operation, with the exception of the mag release. It's accurate, and has good sights (no night sights, though - not sure if that's an option or not).

I leave you with a blurry picture showing the size difference between a Glock 19 and the PPS: