Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

What will actually feed and make gun go BANG regularly and not have me want to scream and throw it like a Romanian made golf club?

These are the best AK mags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Okay. NIB (and in stock locally) S&W 642 with lawyer lock for $450 plus tax or NIB (but ordered from a distributor) no-lock 642 for $440 plus tax? Seems like a no-brainer to go for the no-lock gun, but for ten dollars more I can have the other one TONIGHT.

No question, go for the no-lock.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You do have an 870 with a 3" chamber, right?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

And make sure and get a shotgun with a shoulder stock, not one with just a pistol grip.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Watching sports is boring and FYI we have a whole subforum for sports chat.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

iioshius posted:

If I wanted to sell a gun online, what responsibilities do I have legally in order to do so?

The ATF FAQ I found here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html seems like I just need to call and confirm that the FFL actually exists. Do I need a copy of the FFL's license, or is calling enough? Do I need to keep that copy on file?

It's been hard to find concrete instructions online and I was hoping some of you guys would have some insight. I'm in Florida, if that effects anything.

You're not an FFL so you're not legally required to get a copy of their license. The easiest way to do it is to get the first 3 and last 5 digits of their license number and enter that into the FFL eZ Check system to verify their shipping address and that their license is current. When you ship the gun, the Fedex or UPS may want to see a copy of the FFL before they allow you to ship it. However, there is no legal requirement to tell them that you're shipping a gun to an FFL. I don't tell them.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I like turtles posted:

The Canadians mentioned this in their thread, where I started bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find one in the states. That said, has anyone heard of one in the states?

I emailed the manufacturer a couple months ago (with the intent of making it into a Judge-ish SBS). They replied and said they had no US distributor, so that's where I left it. According to the ATF regs I read, it's pretty easy for even an 01 FFL to import sporting shotguns (compared to say, importing a handgun), but I haven't pursued this any further.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Even assuming that the price listed in moon money on that site is wildly inaccurate and overpriced by 200%, you'd still be at around $2k USD for the gun delivered to you. Not worth it IMO.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

FYI since bullets are ammo components you'll need an 06 FFL to manufacture bullets for sale.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Aside from purchases from a licensed dealer and interstate purchases, when else does a transfer need to occur?

When state or local law bans private sales.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Actually, if you're receiving a firearm from someone's estate by bequest, then federal law doesn't even require that you use an FFL at all, interstate or not.

18 USC 922(a)(3) posted:

(a) It shall be unlawful -
(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pitch posted:

They're exempt by name from the issues of converting a pistol to a rifle and back again.

You're correct that the court's opinion in US v. Thompson/Center Arms said that selling a Contender pistol (with a <16" barrel) and a separate >16" barrel and shoulder stock was not selling an unregistered SBR. Mere possession of parts that could be assembled into an illegal configuration isn't illegal if there was a legal use for the parts.

However as far as I can tell, the court's opinion didn't say anything about whether a Contender handgun that was converted to a rifle could later be turned back into a handgun, probably because that wasn't the question asked.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Fremry posted:

Speaking of ATF, what happened with that hampster machine gun deal?

Funny letter of the month on the NFA Branch's lunchroom bulletin board.

round file, probably

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 26, 2010

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cycloneman posted:

Hmm, let me see, I edited it twice, and one of those times was because I had hosed up the formatting. The other time was deleting a single sentence which, if it was not the exact same as the one in the post you're quoting, at the worst had almost the exact same wording and spirit. Let me see, who do I trust more on the content of my own posts: me, or you?

Anyway, to people who aren't trying to derail this thread: I'd still appreciate a recommendation on assault rifles and sniper rifles appropriate to urban warfare scenarios in the modern United States, regardless of what anybody else here blabs on about. Thanks in advance.

e: Also, neither a hippy nor on welfare.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

thermobollocks posted:

Find some BLM land and clean up after yourself?
BLM land is almost nonexistant in Texas.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

What companies besides AAC make quick detach suppressors with matching flash hiders? I am looking for something in .308 so I can use it on my AR and bolt gun.

http://www.gem-tech.com/HVT.html

Edit: drat you ^^^

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've never heard them shot side by side, but I have an HVT you can listen to if you want. I haven't had a mount put on my Rem 700 yet so I only have it on my 7.62x39 AR right now though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That was done on purpose to film it. Look at his feet when he "trips".

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That should work. You don't need to cut the foam, it'll just smoosh down around the gun when you close the lid.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If an FFL transfers you a stripped receiver it's just that, a stripped receiver. It's not a handgun or a rifle or anything else until it's completed and can be shot.

If it's first completed into a rifle then you can't later change it to a handgun. If it's first completed into a handgun then it can be later changed into a rifle. If you change the handgun into a rifle, then don't change it back into a handgun later.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

I always wonder just how badly they got screwed over on the trade in value.

It's not like police departments don't know that transferables are valuable.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Chill_Bebop posted:

This happens pretty routinely around here. Just be aware that most of the time when they knock of the door they are checking if you are home, and when there is no answer they figure it is a green light to break in.

Yeah this happened to me a couple years ago. I was unemployed at the time so I was home in the middle of the morning on a weekday. The doorbell rang and the guy who was there looked a little surprised that someone had answered and mumbled something about if I knew where such-and-such a street was. It seemed a bit strange, to say the least. After I said "no" and shut the door I saw a second guy through my kitchen window who was coming back around the side of my house, I guess he was checking the back. Both jumped in a truck and left. I called the police but nothing came of it.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

.50 BMG

Heh. Please tell me he's springing for the semi-auto Barrett and not one of those bolt-actions that scrubs use.

He's going to get bored really quick shooting that thing at 100 yards.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Do all generations of Glocks share holster compatability?

I've never seen a holster advertised as only being for a certain generation, so I'd think so.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Also http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is a good resource. The best thing to do is to go to that state's website and read the laws there though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Second, turns out my transfer dealer is also a SOT Class III dealer. He has some SBS 14'' 870s for sale. I am interested in picking up one of them, for a variety of reasons. However, I am also Active Duty Air Force, and will unfortunately be leaving Alaska in a few short years. My job is such that the chances of me getting assigned to a gun unfriendly state (Massachusetts, California, Hawaii, and Illinois seem to be the big NFA unfriendly ones with Air Force Bases in them) are pretty slim, although I have found some contradictory data about NFA items in Missouri and Louisiana...anyone know about the law of those states regarding NFA items? (I could possibly get assigned to bases in those states). Anyway, my real question is that, assuming there are no prohibitions on the item at the state level, how much of an asspain is it to transfer NFA items (specifically SBSs, SBRs, and suppressors...I know think the rules are slightly different for machine guns, and I don't really care about AOWs or DDs) from one state to another as part of a permanent move? I know there's a form you have to fill out and submit to the ATF, kind of like moving with a C&R license, but is there anything else that goes along with it?

Edit: There's also a pretty good chance I will have to spend at least a year (if not more) assigned overseas (yay remote tours to Korea!) I assume that leaving NFA items with a trusted friend/relative for safekeeping like I'd probably do with my "normal" guns is probably a no go, but what about locking them up in a storage facility? I assume the ATF would be cool with this as long as no one else has access to them? Or are they a little more stringent about this stuff? (As above, mainly talking about SBRs/SBSs and suppressors, not machine guns or anything else.)

Machine guns, SBSes, SBRs, DDs and suppressors have to have an approved form 5320.20 for interstate transport, whether temporary or permanent. AOWs and suppressors don't need them, but the ATF will still approve a 5320.20 for them if you submit one.

If you need to keep your title II guns somewhere else, you have two options. First, you could put them in storage where no one else can access them. This could be as simple as a locked hard case stored at a relative's house. If they don't have the key or combination then the ATF doesn't consider it a transfer to them. You could also use a safe deposit box.

Second, if the guns are possessed by an LLC or trust then the people you leave the guns with could be added to the LLC as a member or the trust as a trustee and then they could possess the guns the same as any other member or trustee.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Thanks for the info...another question - how strict are they on making sure the paperwork is approved before you make the move? Reason I ask is that I usually don't know where I'm going to be living before I PCS; I move and then live on base for a week or two while I go around and hunt for a place to live. For the C&R license, it was no big deal to wait a few weeks and send in the paperwork after I had moved and found a place to live, but I'm guessing that they might be a little more controlling when it comes to NFA items.

I've never done one myself, the only title II stuff I've taken out of state were suppressors so I didn't bother. That said, everything I've read says the ATF will process 5320.20s pretty quickly, i.e. days not weeks/months. Apparently they can even be faxed in (no tax stamp, so no need to mail the actual document). But yeah, the law requires approval for interstate transport so I wouldn't go without one. I'm not sure what the process is when you don't have a place to live yet and therefore don't know the final destination, but I'm sure the NFA branch would be happy to tell you if you called.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I've been thinking of something for a little while. A lot of us bitch about being fat and needing to drop some pounds. I know I could slim down. Would TFR participate in some kind of watch and weight TFR edition?

You can't drop those tangos if your winded. :)

I'm up for it, but I started about 6 months ago. Already dropped about 15 lb.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Phrost posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere to using an LLC for purchasing NFA items?

Not that I know of. Remember you can also do a trust. Not a lawyer, but here's my opinion on the pros/cons:

Trusts: Seem to me to be a little more complicated than an LLC, because a trust is designed to preserve assets for the beneficiaries. Shooting a gun owned by the trust could be considered as diminishing the value of the gun and therefore the trustee could be held liable by the beneficiary. Also, you'll need someone else to be involved, as the grantor, trustee(s) and beneficiary can't all be the same person.

LLCs: May or may not have an annual state tax. Here in Texas my LLC only has to pay a tax if it makes a profit. Some states have an minimum annual tax due of several hundred dollars, which may make a trust more attractive. Also, typically only one person needs to be involved. I'm the sole member and registered agent for my LLC.

If you choose either an LLC or a trust, it's a good idea to give it a short name in case you ever form 1 anything and have to have it engraved. Some places that do engraving charge by the letter and if the name's too long, it may not fit on the part of the gun that you want engraved. My LLC's name is a 10-letter word followed by a 11-letter word followed by "LLC" so I learned that the hard way.

iyaayas01 posted:

What are the advantages (if any) to using an LLC to purchase NFA items other than getting around the CLEO sign off requirement?

Additional question: When you move/submit a 5320.20, do you have to get CLEO approval from the area you are moving to, or is the CLEO sign off only a requirement when you first purchase the item?

The other big advantage is that multiple people can possess the item, if they are all trustees of the trust or members of the LLC (and authorized by the LLC to possess those firearms).

The CLEO signoff is only required for the initial transfer to a real person. You'll notice that the 5320.20 doesn't have a line for a CLEO signoff. http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 22, 2010

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

abortionfailure posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really see the point in a weight loss thread in TFR? I mean, there is a whole 'nother sub-forum dedicated to the whole not-being fat thing. Discussing the benefits of fitness as related to the use of firearms I could see, but those benefits are a fairly thin (no fangism intended) topic.

Basically what I'm saying is that I come to this forum to read and occasionally discuss firearms. When I want to discuss weight loss, I hit up the forum thats actually there for that.

If you don't like derails or wildly off-topic threads, TFR is not the forum for you.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gewehr 43 posted:

Moving out of state gets a little quirky w/NFA registered to an LLC. I need to think about it a bit because I'm dead tired at the moment, but I'm not sure what the process is - or if there even is one - for moving an entire LLC to another state. As LLC's are usually state-level entities, moving it to another state may not be possible depending on the destination state's laws.

In that case, you'd have to start a new LLC in the new state then transfer your guns to your new LLC through a C3 in the new state.

I could be wrong. I'll think about this tomorrow and get back to it.

I've heard there's a way to move an LLC so it's registered under a different state, but it'd probably be something you'd want to get a lawyer involved in so it's done right. There'd also be nothing preventing you from hiring someone to be the LLC's registered agent in state #1 but possessing the LLC's assets in state #2. Lots of corporations do this, register and have a registered agent in Delaware or some place but conduct all/most of their business and possess assets elsewhere.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

I was actually going to probably forgo any NFA goodness because of the whole Air Force/move every 3-4 years thing, but this 14" 870 is calling out to me.

I think I've said this before but my only title II purchase that I wouldn't spend the money on if I had to do it again would be my 12" 870. A 14" 870 doesn't even seem to me like it would even really be noticeably different than an 18".

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If you mean can you put a shorter barrel on it than when it was originally registered, then yes. The barrel length on the form 1 or form 4 isn't a legal limitation, it's just for identification purposes. The ATF requests that if it's a permanent change that you send them a letter notifying them.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

LLC and Trusts are great if your CLEO won't sign or you've got a business already anyway

I'd make a separate LLC for your guns even if you already have an LLC set up for a business. No reason to commingle stuff that has no relation to each other. What if you later want to sell your business? Then you'll most likely want to transfer the guns to another LLC anyway. What if your business gets sued? Then since your guns are business assets then they could be forfeit if the court case doesn't go your way. A few hundred bucks to start another LLC is a worthwhile expenditure IMO.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Converting a handgun into a carbine is fine, right, so long as the barrel is 18" and the stock is permanent?

Rifles only have to have 16" barrels. Remember the minimum 26" OAL too.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

No, nothing changed. The law that limits suppressor ownership is the same law that limits machine gun ownership, but for whatever reason when the Michigan AG reinterpreted the law awhile back which allowed the general public to own machine guns in Michigan, he didn't do the same for suppressors. So only SOTs can have suppressors.

The stupider thing is apparently not even SOTs in Michigan can have SBRs or SBSes.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

True, but doesn't the giggle switch tax stamp trump everything? No barrel length restrictions on MGs etc - at least that's how I understand it.

Correct, if it shoots multiple shots per trigger pull it's a machine gun and barrel length, OAL, the presence/lack of rifling, and the presence/lack of a stock don't matter.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'm sure the Russians will sell it to anyone with enough cash, but it's not importable to the US for sale to the general public. Only certain listed models of Russian firearms are importable, no current production handguns are. The gun itself doesn't have a suppressor on it(otherwise that would be another reason it couldn't be imported), but the ATF considers each individual round of captured piston ammo to be a suppressor in and of itself, so you couldn't import any ammo to shoot in it.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pitch posted:

You can? Doesn't every carry handle mount screw in to the middle of the carry handle, blocking your rear aperture?

Not every such design does, no. The ARMS #39 I had years ago didn't block it.

Edit: It does use a screw in the middle of the carry handle but IIRC there's a hole in the screw so you can see through it.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

dhrusis posted:

Do I need to care what kind of ammo I'm shooting through my .223? Recently there have been some decent ammo deals available. I want to stock up.

It depends. What are you using the ammo for? Shooting people? Shooting paper? Bumpfiring into the dirt? :downs:

Russian lacquered steel-cased ammo tends to be underpowered, dirty and will probably be more likely to get cases stuck because steel cases expand less than brass and let more carbon into the chamber. But it makes it up on price.