Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

That reminds me of the most awesome assignment I've ever had while working for the federal government. I was in Chicago, part of the U.S. contingent of the advance team for Lady Di's visit in the mid nineties. One of the things I had to do as part of the advance security detail was to hang out with one of Di's smoking hot personal assistants. Her job was was to wear different skirts and go up and down the stairs to the stage where Diana would be giving a speech. I had to stand at the bottom of the stairs and see if I could see up her skirt. We did this for hours. "Can you see up it now? How about from this angle? Stand over there. I'll go up the stairs again. Can you see up it now?" And then she would try a different skirt and we'd go through it all again.

They REALLY wanted to make sure no photographer got a Lady Di Panty Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Hey I'm turning 21 soon what specific handgun should I buy (in 9mm)

BONUS: I live in California and have no idea how the pistol laws work

SIG P226.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

BaronW posted:

Sig P225/P226/[b]P228[/b

Fixed. If you want a 9mm get the 228 over the 229, unless you like your guns unnaturally heavy and you enjoy having half as much grip surface area for the slide serrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

NosmoKing posted:

WASR, Laminated stock w/2 30-rounders for $399. Do it or not?? I need a bump firing nun shooter.

If that's "out the door" definitely. They can be had a little cheaper than that, but by the time you factor in shipping and transfer fees...

I got one a few weeks ago and it feels good knowing that no matter how much I shoot it, I will never have to clean it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Pitch posted:

It will literally have a hollow point, but it won't expand like a real hollowpoint.

We used to have a thread that tried to address this.

Another German question!

Would "Brot-Hintern" or "Brot-Arsch" be a better term for the ends of a loaf of bread?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 13, 2010

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Veins McGee posted:

How much does it cost to convert from DA/SA to DAK? I've scoured the internet(read typed DAK conversion into google and gunbroker) and I cant find it anywhere.

It's $200 for the factory to do it. I priced the parts through Top Gun Supply, and to just buy the parts it came to $300. I kept my eyes open on gunbroker and found a set for just over $100 shipped.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Anjow posted:

I know little about firearms. In film and TV, guards carry pistols. They hear a noise and decide to go and check it out, and on the way they cock the pistols. This seems to happen with shotguns, too.

Is this silly? To my uneducated mind it wouldn't make sense for them to carry a weapon that's not (barring the safety) ready to fire as they wouldn't know when they'd need it, they might get surprised by someone and having to take time to cock it before firing would get them killed.

By cock, do you you mean pull the hammer back? Or do you mean rack the slide? Either way is dumb. It's amazing how many shows still insist that law enforcement officers carry with empty chambers so they can rack their slides dramatically when they MEAN BUSINESS.

Flash Forward, I'm looking at you.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

How the gently caress do I install a Mojo rear sight on an AK? I got the factory sight out just fine, but I'll be damned if the Mojo will go in. I've compress the spring a couple different ways, pressed on the spring and the new sight with all my sizable weight, pushed on the sight while holding the back of it up half an inch as suggested on the AK forums, I've hammered on the new sight until it's all bashed up and there's no finish on it. It just won't go on.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

It's a true caveman method ( ), but the most effective way I've found is to rest the gun on a sandbag and press down on the front of the spring with a flat screwdriver. You're ~90% guaranteed to scratch the finish on the spring; however, it's a goddamn AK who cares.

I have taken all the finish off the front half of the spring. I have compressed the spring while my wife hammered on the sight. I have hammered on the sight while my wife compressed the spring.

The most frustrating thing is I can't even get the factory sight back on now.

This is some kind of engineer's practical joke, right?

Edit: The Mojo sight goes in if I pull the spring out, but it's really tight. I filed on it judiciously for about ten minutes but it still doesn't go in very easily. At any rate, I still can't get the factory sight back in either.

I will not let this beat me. Soviet Cold War engineering will not get the better of me.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 15, 2010

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Whew! My hands are bleeding and my wife is laughing at me. But after a Herculean effort, the son of a bitch is on there. I used a vise grip clamped down on the rear of the Mojo sight. My wife pushed the spring down with everything she had, and I wrestled that son of a motherless goat into place. Of course, it's still really tight so it doesn't snap down into place like it probably should, which means I should probably remove it and file on it some more...

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

hairysammoth posted:

We've just found out that we've been accepted to a film festival in America, so we're suddenly gonna be around the Cape Cod area in August. We've decided to throw in some time for an impromptu holiday as well - do any kind TFR goons fancy taking some Brits to the range around then? I haven't shot anything more interesting than a double-barrelled shotgun since I farted around in the Marines cadets, and my missus has always wanted to try shooting. I'm sure the director and producer would fancy it as well - if nothing else, think of it as educational. You'll be ensuring that any future films they make are free of the more egregious firearms errors, at least.

Are there even any TFR folks in Massachusetts for that matter?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks! It's called The Drummond Will. It's a Hot Fuzz/Withnail & I kind of thing.

One of you bastards better help this man out.

Hairysammoth, I swore if I ever met you that I would buy you a beer. If you should get lost and find yourself in northern Michigan, it shall be done.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

hairysammoth posted:

Heh, took me a while to remember what the hell you were talking about there. God, that feels like a long time ago...

"Oh, that? Yeah, I totally forgot that I'm an Internet legend even though I have a handy avatar and custom title to remind me about it every time I post."

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

hairysammoth posted:

Too right; and I don't deal very well with the Homeland Security guys at the airport. Last time I flew into JFK the guy at immigration freaked me out so much that when he asked me what I did for a living I panicked, forgot, and ended up telling him I was a student. I hadn't been a student for seven years at that point. It was my honeymoon, too, so I very nearly screwed the pooch completely on that one.

You should just whip out a bound volume of that thread. With large, glossy photos.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Why do OH-58s keep buzzing my house?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Propagandalf posted:

Because you live in a hangar, I advise you move to a house.

That was my old house. My wife called me Dirk Pitt. And then I showed her what Trojan Odyssey Cyclops Flood Tide Night Probe really means.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

So I ran into a couple of the OH-58 pilots while I was at the airport. Is it customary for Army chopper piolts to have their nicknames on their uniform name tapes? I mean, who knows... maybe their real names were "Bimmer" and "Cow Pie."

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay. NIB (and in stock locally) S&W 642 with lawyer lock for $450 plus tax or NIB (but ordered from a distributor) no-lock 642 for $440 plus tax? Seems like a no-brainer to go for the no-lock gun, but for ten dollars more I can have the other one TONIGHT.

And I will be SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESSES

Edit: Also, should I trade my finicky Remington 700 VLS in .243 for a Mini-14 and a Glock 26 with night sights and a ton of extra mags?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 17, 2010

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Secret Ooze posted:

Somebody take these 300 Weatherby rounds!

You forgot to give them to me.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Secret Ooze posted:

I didnt know you wanted them! Everyone was acting like I was loving cursed when I pulled them out.

I said that if absolutely nobody else wanted them, I'd take them. I was trying my hardest to not be that guy who has boxes of ammo for guns he doesn't even own, but I'm already well on my way.

It's like the fudd version of a "cat lady."

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Anyway, is Federal 124gr Hydra-Shok still the ideal 9mm round for defense?

Maybe if it was still 1990.

Try Winchester SXTs or Ranger-Ts, or Speer Gold Dots...

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yeah, I was wondering why .38 Super was so hard to find.

Oh, and consider Cor-Bon DPX, or maybe Remington Golden Sabers. Maybe Hornady Critical Defense or TAP.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mirconium posted:

Ok, most of the post was an oblique reference to a funny movie, but let's actually examine the differences between various competition types and their "international" variants.

Air rifle:

To qualify as an NRA certified distinguished expert in international air rifle, one must shoot an offhand score of 89% or more with 40 to 60 shots.

To qualify as an NRA certified distinguished expert in 3p air rifle one must score 65% standing against the same target.

Source: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/qualbook.pdf#page=16

Prone .22 competition

The competition in regular NRA smallbore prone is held on the A 17 target at 50 feet.

Compare this to the upgraded and far more difficult A 36 for international smallbore.

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/rifle/ (Wonky source, but it's right.)

Skeet:
I refer you to the Skeet megathread, but basically,

American Skeet: 45 mph, mostly singles.

International Skeet: 80 mph, singles and doubles on every station.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure there are even more examples.

Edit: Also compare international pistol on the B33 to conventional pistol on B2 and B3.

Bigger pool of competitors means harder standards to weed out the numerous also-rans.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

George Carlin posted:

Billiards is not a sport because there’s no chance for serious injuries. Unless you welch on a bet in a tough neighborhood. Then, if you see a guy with a pool cue sticking out of his rear end, you’d know that might be a sports-related injury.

FalconGuy016 posted:

I hear you, unfortunately I drive a GM. From that very special time where the A/C and heater flappers rarely work, and when they do they don't seal. Since the core is constantly being heated in every car, this is very bad for my overheating car that can't keep hot air out of the cabin to start with. I was thinking of cutting the inlet and outlet hose off the heater core and making them connect to each other with a little U hose.

I had to bypass the heater core in my '91 Caprice when I blew the core out. Unfortunately, it was winter time, but I suffered through. Doesn't sound like that'll be a problem for you though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ffffffff

Double post.

Trade my 700 VLS and my beater AR (combined approximate asking price: $1200) for a S&W M&P15 VTAC with a Bushnell Trophy MP dot sight?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

LavistaSays posted:

Definitely make the trade. That fake ACOG bushnell sight looks pretty lame, though. I wouldn't bother with it, save pennies for a real optic or at least something from PWS.

It's actually pretty nice for a $150 dot sight. I ran the older version (without backup irons) on my competition AR last year.

And then I got an Aimpoint.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I am required to keep MSDSs on file for pepper spray, and even inert training spray (which is mint oil). I am required to keep an MSDS on file for lead.

I know, no big surprise.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Black Stormy posted:

I wish you hadn't told me this

The girth is identical, and the shape of the grip is roughly the same. The P228, like the P229, has a slightly shorter barrel than the P226, and the grip is about a tenth of an inch shorter.

I shoot a P228 in IPSC when I go to Canada. I like it almost as much as the P226. And I like the balance of the P228 over the identically-sized P229, because the -9 has the heavy-rear end stainless slide.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Black Stormy posted:

Is that the 700 that doesn't shoot for poo poo? Might as well. Give him the lovely stock though, not the new good one.

FFFFffff

See what you made me do?!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What do you guys recommend for inexpensive, not-so-bulky body armor. It would be worn under my uniform shirt. Primary threats are handgun rounds and knives.

Inexpensive does not go along with firearm PLUS knife protection. You find one or the other in a low-price vest, but not both.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Black Stormy posted:

Is TGSCOM run by assholes? I can't remember.

Whew. I thought you guys were talking about Top Gun Supply. Top Gun Supply rocks.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Why didn't any of you Army jerks tell me to never go up in an OH-58?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

Was this a situation?

My first and so far only helicopter ride was in a little MD-500 (sans doors) at an airshow when I was 13. I got to sit up front and was all HELL YEAH until the pilot showed us how fast the little bird could recover from a dive.

I decided it was the most fun I never wanted to experience again.

It wasn't quite that bad, but it wasn't fun either. It didn't help that it felt like the rotor mast was way out of balance the whole time, and it was 30-knot winds gusting to 40. It was a lot more cramped in there than I thought it would be, too. Plus I've got a giant melon head and the flight helmet barely fit me.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mxlplx posted:

I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile now. If Luger P08s are so drat popular, how come nobody makes them any more? Who holds the rights to make them? Same goes with Mauser pistols. Is it due to the Nazi connection? I mean, Walther still make pistols and just as many Walther pistols were made and issued during the war. What gives?

They're not THAT popular. And they're not an easy pistol to manufacture. I doubt they could be made nowadays for less than $800 or so, and you can buy a surplus shooter-grade Luger for a lot less than that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

STAT1C_X posted:

I am uncertain if I should post this here or in the AR-15 thread, but I'll try here first: where did my pivot pin detent go?

Edit: Found it. You guys really are awesome.

You owe me a beer. That is my going rate for finding things.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

I certainly don't shoot it often, and never with the original firing pin or extractor.

I know the real reason you do this. J'accuse!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: no way you're trapping me into selling you any non-firearm air rifles either

I tried to buy a T/C Hawken the other day and when I rolled up the seller started throwing up gang signs and walked away.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Neo Mara posted:

You've got the look. In the name of PERSEC get yourself a rasta wig or something when you go out.

Good idea. "I say eh, mon!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cheap Bourbon posted:

hate to thinly-veil-bump my own question, but whats a safe nickel cleaning method?

CLP is probably safe. I hope it is - I just used it to clean the hell out of a nickel-plated gun. According to the MSDS, there are no ammonia-based compounds in CLP. It seems like pretty tame stuff... which explains why nobody really likes it as a cleaner or as a lubricant. Or even as a protectant.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Other thing you might try is Gunzilla. It's supposed to work wonders, and it's also supposed to be completely non-toxic. I just looked over the MSDS for it a few days ago, but I wasn't looking specifically for ammonia compounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So, my question is: why doesn't shooting yourself at point-blank with a .44 completely destroy whatever part of yourself you aim it at?

Yep. Maybe there was some other context in the show, but I'll let someone who's actually seen it address that angle.

Contact wounds from .44s are really ugly. I mean seriously ugly.