Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

The Automator posted:

Someone talked about boiling the Magpuls for like a minute before stretching them over the AK mags. I'll truck over to the next gun show and see if anyone is selling them individually before I invest in like 8 of them.

I find this more funny then I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Fang posted:

I think you've taken this troll far enough.

Clearly inferior socialized medicine has failed to remove all the sand from his vagina. Lazy commie doctors and their sub-standard tweezers!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

If it is the same guy he has been selling that estate off for like 3-4 years. There were some amazing deals at first but now it is down to some pretty specialized stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Gary B is selling these, I got my Remington 540XR from him.

Yep. There were some nice old revolvers at great prices (S&W 19 for like $300) but they got snapped up in a hurry.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

People have been shooting w/o hearing protection for as long as there have been guns and as clearly not everyone who has done this is deaf it stands to reason that, yes, you are worrying about nothing when taking about an HD gun and hearing protection.

Also I have a compulsion to shoot every gun that I buy without ears just to see what it is like. Center-fire rifles are kinda loud but noting that makes you fall to the ground clutching your ears.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

This is why I dont really worry.

According to NIH I and everyone I have ever worked with should be deaf as a post. And yet my last hearing test seemed to show that my hearing is perfect. The way sound works and how it effects the human ear is a combination of a ton of factors and just going by db rating is nothing but overreaction.

I am not advocating not wearing ear-pro when shooting but it is a dramatic over statement to claim that popping a round off at a dear or an intruder will deafen you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I guess you're not a sound guy. :v:

This even brings up an interesting point, at what db level to engineers run pink noise at when they ring out a room? It always seems to flutter between the line of what I can stand unprotected and what I can't.

Obligatory sound guy joke:

What is the difference between a sound guy and Jesus?

Jesus would help you load a truck.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

M.C. McMic posted:

do you mean your wife or one of your own children?

I took the moral of "a boy named sue" to heart and try to insure my kids are hard as loving nails.

Also I like to weed out the bleeders as early as I can.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 30, 2010

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

I need to get someone to fit a "grind to fit" recoil pad on a shotgun for me. I have the pad but not the correct tool to fit it. The pad will take a fair bit of grinding and the wooden stock will need a little sanding as well.

What is a reasonable price for someone to do this? I have no idea and don't want to get taken. Also if anyone here has the tools to do it or knows someone I would be fine mailing it out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

ShaiHulud posted:

Butt grinding advice.

It is, in fact, a 870. I have a Pachmayr pad but I believe I got one without the metal plate. It needs very little off the width but the length will require the removal of like .5" of the toe of the pad and some cleaning up of my less then pretty cut on the stock it's self.

I more or less decided to try and fit the stock LOP so I just cut of 1/4", then shot it some, then cut more until I found a sweet spot. Then I cut off 1" to account for the pad. Only then did I order the pad and realized that it was going to be far more fitting and fussing then I had thought. I also dont have access to a shop any more. I was thinking about buying a disc sander from HF and having a go at it. On the other hand there is a local smith I was going to check out and fitting a pad seemed to be a decent and low cost way to see if he is any good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

I assume it is Magma gear that only makes bevel base bullets? The market is flooded with those lovely things.

Now if it will cast flat based or gas check bullets, then buy that poo poo right now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Holy hell stop recommending an N frame for someone with small hands.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

So, flying with guns, it would be super easy to hide a bunch of smack inside the gun case, right? Like the TSA tagging should prevent any further inspection, right?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

MrZodiac posted:

Can anyone recommend a good introductory text on ballistics? The ones I looked at on Amazon all seemed to have serious issues with them according to the comments:

Understanding Firearms Ballistics by Rinker
Ballistics: Theory and Design of Guns and Ammunition by Collins
Ammo & Ballistics 4 [...] by Forker

Modern Exterior Ballistics by McCoy seemed promising though.

I've inherited a gun and ammo collection but I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area. Going to the math seemed to be the easiest way to condense nonsense.

I'm not sure if his books/articles are still in print, but Ken Oehler pretty much invented the hobbyist chronograph and he seems to be pretty generally well respected.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

MrZodiac posted:

That's exactly my problem, I don't know enough to tell when someone is blowing smoke up my rear end. It's not a specific question, I'd just like to know more on this subject.

Just always assume this is the case.

But really a simple breakdown is this:

External Ballistics is pretty well understood and has a lot of provable science behind it.

Internal Ballistics is still understood, but because there is not a perfect and repeatable way to measure chamber pressure it is still up to debate in some places.

Terminal Ballistics is all about looking at bullets someone shot into some Jello and nodding wisely. Also stopping power and they all fall to hard ball.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

MrZodiac posted:

A lot of my curiosity centers around why some bullets preform better (excluding shooter ability), and what are the physics reasons behind this.

Witchcraft mostly. It comes down to tiny differences between barrels, the pressure curve of the powder charge being used, the variation (or lack there of) in the bullets themselves, etc. If there was a simple answer then there would be many many fewer bullets on the market.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a specific book. While gun magazines are mostly crap, Handloader, Rifle, and sometimes Shooting Times have decent technical articles. The Ken Waters books are also good, but they are more a collection of letters. to the best of my knowledge there is no one universally praised reference book.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

I blue myself...

I lent my father in law a Ruger Standard (Mk I) .22. He somehow hosed up the bluing in the two weeks he had it. There's a spot where something ate through. The spot is just above the safety and is about .25" high by .75" long. The thing doesn't have a ton of sentimentality for me nor did it cost me much money, but it is a bicentennial edition stamped "Made in the 200th year of American liberty." He offered to have it re-blued.

So the question gents is, do I take him up on the offer or I just leave it? It's the second "newest" gun I have. I'm a history guy and a milsurper at heart and I know where I am when it comes to "history." I just don't know where this damned gun stands as far as that is concerned. I'm leaning towards just leaving it.

Demand a second daughter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Well, "two is one and one is none" is how I believe the saying goes.

Also it is just a MlkI so don't bother getting it re-blued, just think of this as something you can have on him when you eventually do something wrong. If he insists on making it right settle for a few bricks of decent .22lr.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Gtab posted:

DA/SA is awful and the enemy of proper pistol design and proper marksmanship. Consistency will always reign king.

If SIGs werent so goddamn sexy I would hate them on basic principle. As it is I consider them a really good looking crazy chick who I want to play around with and look at but I hate myself for it.

While I agree, I think DA/SA had a place when no one had figured out how to make a decent DAO trigger. I dislike manual safeties on people guns and would prefer a DA/SA over a SAO on a carry or bedside pistol. If the situation permits one can always thumb the hammer back but if not the gun is ready to go with just the trigger pull.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Fremry posted:

Have we had a thread of acronyms? We have so many that it might be beneficial for the newer people to understand what's being talked about when a thread goes into things like SAO, DA/SA, DAO, DAK, etc.

Google will clear most of them up in seconds. Honestly at this point at any random question that comes up I have I just mash some letters into google and almost allays get an answer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Gtab posted:

hahahahaha draw and cock ahahahahahaha

hahahahahah trying to draw down on someone hahahahahaha

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Caveman posted:

GENUINE QUESTION! How much should I expect to pay to have a shotgun muzzle re-faced?

I believe the tools to DIY it are around $100. I also believe that some of the same tools are used to recrown rifle barrels. I also also believe you should buy them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Lono was taken posted:

Notices how the gel bounces back to its original state? Same with your insides. That's the argument I've heard, anyway.

I recall reading somewhere that the liver can be damaged by shock-waves, but not in a way that would immediately harm someone.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Alain Perdrix posted:

e: would also like to inquire about whether or not a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 would be a fun gun for me. I am not recoil sensitive (plus), but I do not reload (minus). I like things with levers. Guide Gun Goons, tell me about your Guide Guns.

Guide guns are huge fun but the ammo cost is pretty nuts. However, if you are shooting heavy hunting loads then 5-10 is as much as most people want to shoot in one sitting. When I traded into mine it cam with like 120r of that Hornady Lever Evolution ammo and it took like 10-15 range trips to get it all shot up (I wanted the brass) and that was with me letting people shoot as much as they want.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Otto Skorzeny posted:

The only bad thing I've heard about the CZs is that you have to mount the scope somewhat high to clear the bolt handle or buy an aftermarket bolt handle, do you know if this is true?

On the 527 it is more or less true, depending on your scope. However, there is a guy who will bend your bolt for like $25. I know he does 527's, I'm not sure if he will do 550's or if there is even a difference.

I have a 527 and love the crap out if it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Alain Perdrix posted:

I'm going to see if I have any friends who have a GG and will let me try it out. As I said before, I'm not recoil sensitive in the least, but I've also had people who are similarly insensitive complain about the recoil from a .45-70, and from what you're telling me, it does sound pretty stiff. Only wanting to put 5-10 rounds through it at a time is probably a blessing in disguise anyway.

The best way to describe it is this: Have a friend punch you in the the shoulder really hard. Then have him do it 5 more times. Each shot is not really that bad but after a magazine full you really don't want to shoot any more for a while.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Alain Perdrix posted:

I seem to recall you having mentioned that you shoot all of your firearms without earpro at least once. Did you do that with the GG? I imagine that must have hurt a ton.

I did. I was outside on top of a hill with nothing to reflect the sound and it wasn't really that loud. I didn't have any hot and heavy ammo so the round was going slow (like ~1200fps) and there was more of a deep "boom" rather then a sharp crack. The volume of sound is really heavily influenced by what is around to reflect it though and there is no way I would shoot it under a roof without earpro.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Using modern materials isn't it feasible to manufacture a 7.62x25 cylinder for a nagant revolver that can handle the pressures? Or manufacture one that is at a lower capacity as usual so it has more metal between chambers?

Why can't this be done? I know modifying an original cylinder can have dangerous outcomes but I'm talking a completely new one.

That is reaching for the stars, pressure wise. I understand the urge for cheap ammo but even if it could be done the cost would kinda defeat the purpose.

Now getting a 7.62x25 cylinder for one of those new .327fed Blackhawks might be cool.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Ron Mexico posted:

Not to mention 7.62 Tok is kind of a wacky shaped cartridge to try and make a cylinder for. You'd probably have to use moonclips. I'd rather have a Nagant revolver with a .32 H&R cylinder or yeah, even .327 federal.

Eh, iirc the Nagant uses an ejector rod so moonclips wound not be an issue. However, the only redeeming thing about the Nagant is the cheap price and the relevantly expensive ammo makes that pointless as well.

Sadly, while they are neat little guns they are impractical to shoot and there is no simple or cheap way to change that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Even $.40 a round is too much. I wouldn't spend that much on .44 or .357 either. Reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot as much as like and due to the funky rear end case and bullets Nagant ammo isnt really worth it to reload either.

They are cool little guns but atleast to me, they arnt worth the expense or bother to shoot when there are a bunch of other weird guns out there that I could afford to shoot more often.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, do you own any full-sized rifles at all that aren't in x54r?

Yep, and I reload for all of them. Currently the most expensive to shoot is a Guide Gun. Some 45-70 loads will get up around $.50-1.00 a shot but my average plinking load is somewhere around $.25-30 per shot. Now that I have a load that I like I can buy bullets in greater bulk and so long as I keep up my near perfect brass retention record the price will stay at the low end.

The only factory ammo I really buy is Wolf type stuff. Everything else I can make better and cheaper myself. I do admit that I really enjoy reloading so it isn't realy a chore but even so, I don't make nearly enough money to shoot as much as I want to otherwise.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question on .22 rifles: My club is having some CMP-type sporter competitions, and the rifle has to meet weight limits and should be magazine fed for speed. I have an elderly 1950's era Savage Model 87A semi auto, but it has only open sights and I think that there is no provision for a sling. Should I take it to a gunsmith and get it modified for a 4x or 6x scope and a sling, or should I just go and look at a semi-auto or bolt operated, magazine fed .22? If 'no' to the gunsmith mods, any ideas on a good quality .22 rifle, perhaps a CZ or other brand?
ed: Sorry, it's a Stevens Model 87A

You should buy my 10/22 and the 3/4 of a tech-shights set I have for it. Also I have one of those Sweet22 scopes for it as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Independence posted:

Baltimore, MD.

Back when I lived up there it was a commonish thing for a "salesman" to be a scout for a burgelry or home invasion ring. It's not like there is any legitmate product that is sold door to door anyway so just never awnser when someone knocks or install on of those flip-up door blocks. I can't remember what they are called, but they function like a door chain, but actualy work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

The Automator posted:

When I lived out in the middle of nowhere, we actually had people pull up in trucks with refrigeration units in the back full of steaks and stuff all the time. Believe it or not, this happens quite a bit in some areas, and it is legit. We used to buy vacuum packed steaks and stuff all the time from these people.

That is amazing and my entire world view is changed. I want a meat truck to come to my house.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Domini Cane posted:

Can someone recommend some decent hiking/shooting pants?
I'm looking for a moderately light-weight utility pants I can wear at the ranch, hiking, hunting and out to the range if I'm going to be rolling around in dirt. Jeans are just too drat hot and tear too easily. I'm in deep South Texas so heat and humidity are an issue.

These are kinda dorky but they are the lightest and toughest pants I have ever had. I bought two pairs years ago and other then the first of the three crotch seams needing to be resown they are still good as new. I wore each pair maybe 1-2 a week doing stagehand poo poo, so kneeling on concrete/carpet, climbing truss, lifting crap and constantly getting hit and snagging on all matter of sharp poo poo. My buddy would go through a pair of BDU shorts every month or so but these things took it all in stride. They are so light weight I was super skeptical when I got them but they are loving amazing. You can also wash them in a sink and they will drip dry in like 4-5 hours. really amazing all around pants.

The only thing against them is that they melt like crazy. I was dumb once and tried to weld in them and about 4 seconds in I had about 3 dozen tiny pin holes on my legs and crotch. To their credit they didn't ignite but still I would avoid splashing molten metal on them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, I thought of the light color because I just went through a basic metallic cartridge reloading course, and we had poo poo fall on the floor that was nearly impossible to find.

Where did you take such a class?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

So. I saw this Savage 99 for sale. It is chambered in .300savage, which is still a pretty great round. It is an older one with the rotary cartridge counter. It also has one of those weird Redfield Widescreen scopes mounted on it. It is also $450. I could most likely get it for $400.

I do not *need* an other medium range woods gun.

But man, I loving want that gun so badly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Savage 99s are awesome. The .300 savage is a great round, and remarkably easy to come by. For an "obsolete" round it's one of the most common I see.

$400 may be a bit much for it, depending on the year and condition. The .300 savage chambered 99s are extremely common. The cheapest one I have found was $225 (which I kick myself for not buying, but I don't have any more safe space) and they go up from there.

What kind of mount does it have for the scope? If it's a stith mount it is definitely worth the $400. If not, and if it is a newer gun, it might be worth talking them down a bit.

I think it must be an older gun as it still has the cartridge counter on it. I will get the SN next time I am at that store.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

So what is the deal with HK pistol triggers? Like, I think you can swap which style you have but i don't know. I want to get into IDPA and the after looking at the rules I think a USP compact with an LEM trigger is what I want but they are somewhat hard to find and I want to know if I can buy any old gun and swap the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Has anyone had any dealings with Georgia Arms for ammunition? Heard anything of it? They have bulk 10mm for about 0.39/round in bulk and I might hit it up.

Their shipping tends to be slow as poo poo. They do come to the larger MD gun shows though and the prices are about the same.