Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

GLOCKKK 19

DOJ website says all the major variations are approved for California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

SouthsideSaint posted:

1) Could i turn FMJ into a hollow point bullet by drilling out the actual bullet?
It will literally have a hollow point, but it won't expand like a real hollowpoint.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Jager posted:

-user serviceable
Is there such a thing? You aren't allowed to keep replacement parts.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Anjow posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? Why would it make sense with those and what's an SAO? I assumed semi automatic <something>.
Single-Action Only. It means the hammer must be cocked for the gun to fire because the trigger only serves to drop it. In other actions pulling the trigger will raise the hammer and then drop it in one motion.

It doesn't make a lot of sense there either, though, because the gun is useless when uncocked and as a result everyone carries it cocked with the safety on.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

pulphero posted:

already have that. I should have included that I want some thing shoulderable
If you want a shoulder-fired gun that fits into a 24" pack the Kel-tec foldup carbine is your only choice outside of a tax stamp.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Insane Totoro posted:

A lot of the other guys were packing some really ancient-looking Smith & Wesson rimfire pistols.
The Model 41 owns hard.

As a raw amateur you're not likely to see a huge difference between a nice .22 pistol and a really nice bullseye pistol. However, if you ever become competitive at bullseye it's basically a given that you'll move up to a S&W41 or a worked-over Ruger. Even then it still wouldn't hurt to have a Buckmark around.

Also, in general the logic to a long-barreled bullseye pistol is how it balances in the hand. Extra weight in the barrel is generally considered a positive thing. The long-barrels aren't inherently more accurate.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Alain Perdrix posted:

Will a .30 boresnake work well in a 6.5mm bore, or am I gonna get it stuck?
I wouldn't try it. They're pretty snug at best.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

iioshius posted:

Where do you go to sell your guns? Is a pawn shop a good/reliable place to buy or sell a gun?
You can sometimes get a good deal buying one there, usually if it's so unusual that they don't really know what it's worth or so dirt-common that they just want it out the door.

You should never sell a gun to them. You'd be lucky to get half of what it's worth.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

gimpsuitjones posted:

Magpul CTR: All polymer construction, yes?

As in, won't show up on an X-ray, yes?
That's not how x-rays work.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

There couldn't possibly exist more than one kind of plastic.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

Every player worth a drat is in the MLB so yeah it is the World Series.
America: we own at a game where our primary competition is tiny island nations.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

iyaayas01 posted:

One of our shops got told they needed to have an MSDS for windex and hand sanitizer.
How dare they require you to keep safety information on-hand for poisonous cleansers.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Detective Thompson posted:

There was a book I think Cyrano recommended a while back during one of those "The Wehrmacht was just normal soldiers!" thing. The title was something like Ordinary Men or something similar.
Is this a question? The title was Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

spankmeister posted:

Does it support the ordinary men theory, or debunk it?
Supports I guess? Reserve Battalion 101 was a group of perfectly average men, not chosen for any specific politics, who would go into a town and kill any Jews they found even when their superiors made it clear that they could freely opt out of the more gruesome assignments.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Uncle Caveman posted:

The dealer faxed me a copy of his FFL, with the full number visible and all.

Apparently this is not a smart thing for an FFL holder to do!
Since when? My dealer gives out copies left and right.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

AntiTank posted:

Why is the government profile AR barrel so weird? Is there a reason to chose it over lightweight profile, besides the m203 option?
There's no M203 notch on a government profile barrel.

Edit: It's weird because it tapers underneath the handguard where no one can see it on a finished rifle. It saves weight. Most lightweight profiles are only a few ounces lighter.

Pitch fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 2, 2010

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd be a LITTLE more wary of using PP since I'm not sure what, exactly, the chemistry is that makes ammonia a no-go, and if it's an oxidation reaction you could still get something with the hydroxide half of PP.
I believe ammonia is bad because it's viciously corrosive to copper, which is underneath the nickel plating and can be exposed by even a tiny nick. Non-ammonia cleansers should be fairly safe even if they are harsh chemicals.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

A forend isn't necessarily intended to be held by the off-hand. All T/C pistols have them, so do AR and AK pistols.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

thermobollocks posted:

Or just a $5 AOW stamp.
$200. It's $5 to transfer but still $200 to manufacture.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

QuarkMartial posted:

Are T/C pistols/rifles exempt (by name) from NFA stuff?
They're exempt by name from the issues of converting a pistol to a rifle and back again.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Also it kind of gives the ATF broad power to interpret anything they feel like as an AOW, as long as it's concealable, I guess.
Not really. The law is quite explicit that any concealable firearm which is not a pistol or another NFA item is an AOW.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So, my question is: why doesn't shooting yourself at point-blank with a .44 completely destroy whatever part of yourself you aim it at?
It would. Maybe he missed the heart? A "contact wound" in forensics just means a normal gunshot wound that, because of powder burns on the skin and other evidence, was clearly done at extremely close range.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Diseased Yak posted:

Her wrists are so small that I can wrap my giant sausage-fingered hands completely them, so it need not be a hand-cannon capable of taking a wall out of my house.
Big, heavy guns seem like they should be more powerful but you should keep in mind that a bigger, heavier gun always recoils softer than a small gun in the same caliber. Too many tiny women get recommended tiny guns that are really unpleasant to shoot.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

Keep them unloaded in a locked case and you're totally fine.
hahaha

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

Eh?
There's no way to transport a firearm through NYC and be "totally fine". You will be arrested if it's discovered, then maybe your lawyer can pull out peaceable journey before the firearm is lost in evidence.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

And if you have a locked case the cops would have to have a warrant to get at the guns anyway.
Oh my word do you seriously believe this?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

They don't need bolt cutters or a warrant. Murky probably cause is all they need to search the entire vehicle and they may compel you to open any locked containers inside (or arrest you for obstruction, then cut it open at the station).

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Fremry posted:

Obstruction has a high burden of proof, and it would be a hell of a lot easier to just lie and make a claim for probable cause.
Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about. He already has probably cause in this scenario. Obstruction is for refusing him access to the vehicle and its contents when he is lawfully entitled to search it.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

foghorn posted:

PROBABLE cause
jesus gently caress how did I typo that in two different posts oh god

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

eine dose socken posted:

That would be so much fun.. loving flying rats.
You ever play GTA4?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

eine dose socken posted:

I tried, but GTA4 is one of the few games my system refuses to run smoothly. So no, why?
Several hours a day shooting pigeons is a requirement for completion.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Mxlplx posted:

I am kinda suprised to have never heard of these.
You're surprised you've never heard of a .380 manufactured by six guys in Florida?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Mxlplx posted:

I am pretty sure this is how Kel-Tec started.
Yeah but the guy who founded Kel-Tec was known for having designed and manufactured many well-known firearms prior to that.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Anjow posted:

How sensitive are primers? Are they only sensitive to sharp shocks like hammers striking them? Or would a gradual application of the same amount of force cause them to fire? What does one need to be worried about when handling ammunition (specifically concerning the primers)?
They're entirely shock-sensitive. There's really no concern at all about handling them, only a completely ridiculous freak accident would lead to one accidentally being set off.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

WTFBEES posted:

I stole this from The Firearm Blog, but it is a fairly interesting fictitious gun designed by one of the Crytek guys that actually has some thought put into it.
Note that "some thought" is not "intelligent thought". For instance those fins on the back are specifically designed to vent hot gas into the shooter's face, and the designer believes that to be a "feature".

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

beta posted:

So treat them with care, and wear safety glasses.
Seriously, safety glasses for carrying a box of ammo?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

GroovinPickle posted:

Did you miss the part where he explicitly says "when handling primers" in the paragraph that is clearly talking about reloading?
I did, but mostly because that's explicitly not what the question he was answering asked.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

It might work, but awls are usually hard steel so it'll mar the hell out of the finish even if it doesn't tear up the metal itself.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Che Guevara loved the FAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

GroovinPickle posted:

Without intending to be too much of either a smartass or a dumbass, but what does the muzzle of the gun have to do with measuring impacts on a target?
Because unless your gun is really hosed up, the bullet will travel in a perfectly straight line down the barrel and leaving the muzzle is the first point where it may start to deviate.