Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Hold an open bottle of hoppes under the detector for a few seconds and see if it goes off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress this word. I hate it and it's stupid.

Well then I'm not going to let you come in my mancave.

Edit: :colbert:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Fang posted:

I'm looking at getting some glasses that can double as prescription sunglasses and shooting glasses. Is there any reason not to get a pair of Wiley-X Romer IIs?

I love the poo poo out of my Wileys and I'm sure they've saved my eyes several times by now. The only caveat I can think of is that it's tough to predict what they'll look like on your face just based on pictures on the website.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

infrared35 posted:

It feels extremely harsh and bouncy in full auto, comparing apples to apples now that I've fired an MP5 and a UMP in .40; part of it is the weight since the UMP is lighter, and part of it is the fact that the UMP is blowback instead of roller locked. End result is that the MP5 is much nicer to shoot.

The UMP is just not a good gun any way you look at it. The extractor is a serious weak point; it's made of the thinnest, flimsiest piece of stamped metal I've ever seen on a select-fire gun. Also, under very very light torture testing (four consecutive mags on full auto if I remember correctly) the barrel trunnion melted on numerous test guns. Despite all that, we still adopted them and turned in all our MP5s. :emo:

They're significantly cheaper per unit than MP5s though, right?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I personally found the slide on my SP-01 was a little hard to manipulate quickly, and for me it wasn't a good gun to use in a timed event.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Have you.... shot a USP? I think the grip is pretty "love it" or "hate it", and the mag release/slide release positions might take a bit to get used to but I prefer them now. I'm happy with mine and hardly shoot my 229 now. If you buy one, install a LEM trigger. Installing a TLR-1 is a bit of a bitch.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Infrared/Automator, I know you've both mentioned that you dislike the P2000, can you give more details as to why? I was thinking of picking one up as I like my USP and the P2000 seems to have a more comfortable grip. I'd buy or install a LEM trigger on it, and I know Infrared said the LEM on the P2000 isn't as good as on the USP, but are there other complaints?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

LavistaSays posted:

Question of my own: I'm seriously looking at picking up a Nikon D90 this week, are there any other camera's in that price range that I should be considering instead?

The D90 is a pretty great camera. The D5000 and D3000/3100 are also good cameras, and cheaper if you don't need as many features (especially in-body focus) with similar image quality. I don't think anyone could fault you for buying a D90.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

AbdominalSnowman posted:

So I have been in the market for a relatively inexpensive .22 to plink with on the weekends, since all of my hunting rifles shoot expensive calibers and the AK is so much fun that I blaze through $20 in a matter of minutes. I have had my eye on one of those goofy .22 MP5s (I think there are some other H&K designs as well) but I had a couple questions.

Am I retarded for wanting one?
Are these things actually licensed by H&K? (Gut feeling is no on this one)
Are they reliable at all? I know .22 is dirty as hell, am I going to have to take the gun apart every few mags?
Should I just buy a Ruger 10/22 and upgrade the poo poo out of it over time? This option sort of appeals to me since I like project guns that don't take years of gunsmithing experience to play with, but I also like the idea of having an MP5 that I can shoot for next to nothing since god knows I will never afford a real one.

Help me out TFR, what should I blow my money on? Comedy options are welcome, of course. I do tend to buy cheap guns on a whim just because they look cool or goofy, which is probably why I am asking these questions in the first place.

I got a GSG5 for free and I've enjoyed it. I haven't had any problems other people reported and I've yet to have to clean it after ~3000 rounds of Golden Bullet. It's a "generation 2" rifle, which I guess is more reliable than the "generation 1" rifles. I honestly think I've had more fun shooting cans with a scope on my GSG5 than I've had with any other gun, but maybe I got lucky.

They're definitely not worth the $500 or whatever nonsense they were going for a year ago. I've read a lot of posts of people saying theirs broke, ATI took several tries to fix it, etc, but none of the ones my dealer has sold have had any problems so I guess it's hit-or-miss on the quality and I'm not sure how lucky you're feeling.

You'll need a $50 adapter or so to mount a scope on the guy, and another $50-100 for a collapsible stock, if you're into that. Alternately, people seem to like their Sig522's and S&W M&P 22's.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I usually order from http://www.boss-safety.com/. I've never had to deal with their customer service, but I've also never had any problems with an order.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Aperture Priority posted:

Sorry to interrupt TFR BearChat™, but I have a question.

I picked up some Winchester Supreme Elite (:jerkbag:) 124gr.+P 9mm at a Wal*Mart because, well hell, it was cheap for defensive ammo.

Not sure what the :jerkbag: is for, but PDX1 is the newest self defense ammo from Winchester and is supposed to be pretty good. Apparently the FBI currently use it, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: Why is 10mm "recommended" for bears? It's not much better than .357 mag.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 8, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

spankmeister posted:

His chest may be hairy, but his balls? Well... :slick:

Edit: Question for the new page! I've got a stain on my carpet that looks a lot like a Sig 55x bolt carrier. Is my apartment haunted by the Swiss? What should I do, TFR?

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 10, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

A chance to get rid of a cursed rifle and in trade get a revolver you think you'd enjoy? Sounds like a good plan, it's not like 700's are hard to find if you ever change your mind and want to go back, and maybe the next one won't be cursed.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I don't see the threads on HKPro any more but maybe I'm blind. If they're gone, I've got a copy of them saved with pictures.

The conversion from DA/SA to LEM or LEM w/ safety are not hard as infrared said, more complicated than building an AR-15 lower but not much. I actually preferred to do it myself so I could keep the original firing pin block safety spring, which gives a slightly lighter pull on the "second stage".

Edit:

I found these:
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?63079-LEM-installation-instructions
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?40627-P2000-SK-USPC-LEM-Trigger-Job-Part-1

I could have sworn there was another post I used when I did mine, but really the armorer's manual is all I needed.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 13, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know of a place where I can get something I can print out and set at a fixed distance so that I can learn at what magnification level the mil dots on my scope are accurate?

Or instructions on how to make such a thing?

I did some calculations based on the size of A4 paper and it suggested that on my 6-24x50 scope the dots were accurate at 18x. I'd like to double check this with the method I outlined above since it would make more sense to me if it was accurate at 12x.

Who made the scope? They should provide that information.

From what I've seen it's usually somewhere like max or min magnification, or 10x.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Ygolonac posted:

I've handled one in the store, and it certainly *feels* like a cheap hunk of poo poo. I'm also pretty sure it's been the same one not selling since they brought it in.

I don't really know what people expect them to be. Like QuarkMartial said, it's a 22lr with a dress up kit on it. I've handled and shot most of the "tactical" 22's that have come out recently and they're all similarly light weight and plastic-y. It doesn't surprise me that they're not "heavy" or whatever metric people seem to expect from a 22lr, it surprises me that people still pay $500+ for them. I would have thought prices would have dropped from all the competition.

Advantage Arms supposedly makes the best 22lr kit for Glocks, and they also make a 1911 kit. I don't know of anyone that has ever used the 1911 kit, but if the Glock kits are as good as I've heard they might be worth researching.

Edit: Ciener also makes a 22lr kit for 1911's, but I hear he is / they are a pretty big douche.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 26, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

spankmeister posted:

But but some bald guy on discovery said it was a cool gun.
:qqsay:

Are you kidding, it was in Modern Warfare 2. You think they just pick guns that look cool for those games?

Just like how the in-game ACOGs were all shut down by the EMP, that poo poo is science. They clearly did their research.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I use Pro-X's with foam in-ear plugs. I think the Pro-X's are 18db so the combination with foamies is absolutely required. However, since they amplify voices and other sounds, I can still hear people speaking normally, while the guy shooting his .460 in the indoor lane next to me doesn't bother me at all.

In short, I'd wear both.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Get it because I'm a junkie for non-DA/SA triggers and it sounds totally cool.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Do they do +P 147gr? The 127's probably don't need any extra velocity to expand reliably, but it might not hurt for 147's in a short barrel.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

GroovinPickle posted:

You can use the muffs alone if you're shooting rimfire or maybe shooting pistols outdoors in the open.

I suppose I've got weak ears but I can't use my MSA's without plugs for any but the smallest calibers. Even 9mm is too loud for me indoors, but outdoors its good for most pistol rounds and .223. I'm definitely glad I bought them, though, they're comfortable as poo poo for hours and I can easily have a conversation with someone while wearing them, even with plugs in.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

How short does a 9mm barrel have to be before you start worrying about velocity/reliable expansion? At 3.25" is it time to use really light +p ammo, or will 147g (+p or not) be okay?

Edit: I mean 127gr.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 29, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

For that price and feature set they make Trijicon RMR/red dots look attractive.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Anyone familiar with Kimber 10mms? A friend of mine is a Kimber dealer and owes me a favor, so I was thinking about picking one of those up. I don't have any practical use for a 1911 or a 10mm, but it sounds like it might be a fun range gun.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Thanks for the replies, I remembered Kimber to be the company with the "500 round break in" policy but I was hoping someone would step up and say their 10mm's were better designed and super great, or something. Guess not!

Edit: Here's a link to the Sigforum thread on the P220ST 10mm. It's a custom job by Gray Guns running $2-3k depending on what you want done and the base pistol you start with.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 6, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Has anyone shot a Sig X5? Regular 226's are a little big for my hands, but workable. I'm worried that the beaver tail will make the pistol seem even larger. That or I could put a match trigger and red dot on my USP...

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone know for sure if these fits sordin supreme models as well?
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/peltor-gel-earmuff-seals.html

Yes I know sordins makes their own but these seem like they are thicker than sordins offerings and I was told they should fit. I like something thicker because the sordins are too shallow as it is.

I don't know about those, but the sordin gel seals are REALLY comfortable for me. What are you comparing the thickness to? You think the sordin foam seals are too thin?

Edit: I've got a pair of standard muffs with the foam seals and my ears still get compressed against the plastic shell in those, which hurts after a while. I don't know if the sordin gel seals are thicker or they just compress less, but my ears don't touch the plastic shell at all on the sordin + gel.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 16, 2010

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Way too thin. I don't feel the sordins do a remotely adequate job of dampening sound and those flimsy and shallow cups aren't helping. There's no real pressure on the band either so it feels very loose, compared to my passive cheapass peltors I got for 20bux.

TBH I am really suprised Sordins have a good reputation at all, if I could go back in time I would save myself lots of trouble and buy a set of Peltor Tactical XPs.

I agree. For the price and reputation they have, I really expected more. My only complaint is the lackluster noise reduction, but I also never wore them without the gel seals and I've got a big head. The gel seals are pretty great, but with a list of complaints like that maybe that won't be enough for you.

The upside to the high price and good reputation means they shouldn't be that hard to sell used, but I don't know what the market is like where you're at. I think I might pick up a pair of Howard Leights and do a side-by-side comparison.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

You could just grab some sandbags, rolled up towels, a backpack, etc. Bipods are neat but you get more adjustability out of making your own rest, and then you have no goofy metal thing hanging off the end of the rifle when you're not prone. I would say bipods are usually "faster" in the sense that it's already on your rifle and ready to deploy, but not "better" than sandbags or another type of unattached rest.

Internet suggests mounting a Harris bipod may violate 922r and will require drilling.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Some production pistols can withstand firing with a plugged barrel without a catastrophic failure. Infrared has some pictures of pistols with multiple bullets lodged in the barrel, for example, if he cares to share them.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

thermobollocks posted:

Rimfire anything and lever-actions with tubular magazines are not restricted. Note that pump/semi-auto centerfire with a tubular magazine is still restricted.

Are you sure? I believe only tube magazines are exempt, regardless of whether they are center or rim fire. Any internal or detachable mag can only be <= 10 rounds.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

walrusman posted:

Besides the Beretta 92 (and some other Beretta models, I guess), are there any other commonly-available 9mm pistols with fixed barrels?

The barren on the Beretta 92 isn't fixed. It's exposed, but it's a short recoil operated pistol, meaning the barrel is locked in before firing and then unlocked during recoil, like most other semi-autos. A barrel fixed to the frame couldn't lock and unlock (or move at all).

With the barrel and frame one piece, your only options would be inertial or blowback operation, neither of which would be too pleasant in 9mm. I'm sure others are out there, but the only fixed barrel 9mm I can think of off the top of my head is a Hi Point.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

thermobollocks posted:

The TEC-9 is blowback, as is the H&K P7. :haw:
Also, any 9mm revolver!

poo poo, that's a good point. I guess piston operated (or direct impingement?) would work too. :v:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

thermobollocks posted:

Does 7.5 Swiss even have JHPs? The pointier rifle rounds typically come in FMJ, FMJ with those little hollow ballistic tips (maybe this is what JHP means?), and pointed soft point.

I assume that's what he means by JHP. The open tip is to improve the BC.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Are KCI Glock mags okay to use? I want a stupid capacity mag for my Glock 30 to use at the range like the 30 rounders they make for the 9mm Glocks and the only one I can find in stock anywhere for .45acp Glocks are KCI 26rd ones for $20.

I've never used one, but from what I've heard they're fine for range use but probably not for self defense.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

gimpsuitjones posted:

No it isn't

Tell me more.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

gimpsuitjones posted:

The open tip on OTM bullets like the SMK/ Berger VLD etc is just a by-product of the manufacturing process, it decreases the BC slightly which is why some people do dumb poo poo like bullet pointing etc

and now I'm going hunting, bye TFR

Apparently the open tip moves the center of gravity rearwards and outwards, which helps keep the bullet spinning longer. Additionally, manufacturing flaws have less of an impact on accuracy when at the rear of the bullet versus the tip.

A hollow point boat tail should also have a lower drag coefficient (a component of BC), which helps retain velocity.

I have no way to judge how reliable those links are, and most of the rest of the links I found were about open tipped bras and then I got distracted.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

That snow looks so soft.

I've never lived anywhere that snows, only places where people drive poorly when the sky gets dark. To an outsider you might not be able to tell the difference, though.

gently caress the south, though. I'd rather have snow over that kind of humidity.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

mlmp08 posted:

and a camera for only a bit more.

My insurance (Farmers) won't do cameras for accidental damage, only theft/fire/whatever else my renters covers. They will do firearms, though. I checked some of the firearms insurance companies recommended around TFR but none of them wanted to do cameras (except for antiques). Arrgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I like turtles posted:

Wow, so, in the continuing saga of my PPS43, I just got a call back from the importer.

Apparently it had "A really, really, REALLY bad chamber that was deforming rounds and cases".

So they're sending me a new one and destroying the old one.

On the upside, though, when you get it back you can sell it as "new in box, never fired"?