Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

I'd like to make a lampshade out of your skin Sgt. Shaved Balls :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, are most gun owner super-anal about keeping all them scratches of their guns? I made the mistake of shooting my friends pistol, then placing on the "concrete table".

Don't care about the scratches.

If the damage only cosmetic - gently caress it.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

eine dose socken posted:

Now that really depends on the condition of the gun you have. Scratching a really pristine gun is like scratching a new car, it doesn't really matter functionally, but it still hurts.

But i don't care about pristine safe-queens. This is like worrying about scratches and dings on a wrench. All my guns are for shooting, i would sell them otherwise.

Didn't care much about scratches on my cars either.

But if you collect guns, then it's whole another story.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

gently caress translucent mags.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

Not cheap, but they sell a thread-on suppressor too that fits other 12 gauges (or a Saiga you already have) for about $900. If you live in a state that allows it, I don't see any reason not to fit a silencer to a gun you'd probably be using inside without hearing protection.

Try to maneuver that thing indoors.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Why is the government profile AR barrel so weird? Is there a reason to chose it over lightweight profile, besides the m203 option?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

The Automator posted:

Glock 19. There are videos of an 11 year old girl wielding one effectively. Your wife can handle it.

This.

Maybe Gen4 one, because of configurable grip option.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

jacert posted:

Dude my mom and im guessing a lot of women cant even reach the slide release on a glock.

It's called "slide stop".

You release the slide by pulling it back and letting it go.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Fremry posted:

Aren't turtles cold blooded, meaning that they would be the same temperature as the water they are in, making a FLIR scope useless?

Maybe they don't show up on infrared at all?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Thug Bonnet posted:

Is there any reason to NOT get either a Glock 21, Beretta 92fs, or CZ 75 as a first pistol with a budget of $500-ish? I assume these are all well-liked choices but I figured I'd drop y'all a line in case there is some major no-go issue with one of these.

You forgot to mention Glock 19.

Nope, nothing wrong with that.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Motronic posted:

Now the rifling serves to allow compression or the projectile so you can blow the slug through various choke sizes without harming the barrel or yourself.

And to minimize contact surfaces between slug and the barrel.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Anjow posted:

What does one need to be worried about when handling ammunition (specifically concerning the primers)?

Don't use a round as a hammer.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

FunOne posted:

Second question, on the Glock 32 (19 sized frame) the gen 3 has thumb and finger grooves. This makes the Magpul high tang ( :bustem: ) grip very uncomfortable and akward to use. Should I just modify that style of grip to fit into the grooves or is there a more appropriate style of grip to use?

Ignore the grooves. Grip it as high as possible.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Should i cheap out on a AR-15 charging handle?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Any dire warnings, words of support? Is there any better way to just buy a parts kit and US receiver and have some 'smith build me one for a bit more cash? Is it expensive as gently caress to get one with the collapsing stock? I'm not really HK-savvy, but I figure someone here must be.

They don't like Wolf.

And they maim reloadable brass too.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

I like turtles posted:

My female roommate will be working on campus late this semester, and her parking lot is way across campus. Pepper spray or OC or CS or something is something she'd like to get. Pretty much everything is legal here in Arizona (:smug:), so what should we be looking for, for purse carry?

OC is pepper spray. Get her that. CS is sometimes ineffective against drunks or animals.

And teach her to run very fast.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

_firehawk posted:

So I was browsing around for ammo and stumbled across this. I have to admit I am a bit intrigued by this stuff. I want to know if this is the real deal or is it snake oil TFR?

Hahaha, holy poo poo, this description! :ughh:

PTP stands for Polizei Trainings Patrone.

Its a cheap leadfree, nontoxic round with the same ballistic behavior like the 9x19 PEP (the actual police ammo), ideal for training in indoor ranges.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

It's a gun and it shoots. I think that's good enough training for a Soviet grunt.

Soviet grunts got the real deal.

This particular gun was meant for school rifle teams and youth clubs organized under DOSAAF.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

So what's the best caliber for warning bears away?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

gimpsuitjones posted:

Where's a good place to buy tactical poo poo from that will ship international and has a decent selection of gear

Yeah, same question! (except Brownells and Midway)

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

As long as you continue to leave catfood outside you're going to have a really bad raccoon problem, no matter how many of them you kill.

It don't matter how many you kill in the racoon city.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, question for the Euro goons, specifically the Germans in the crowd:

What are German laws regarding purchasing firearms accessories? I've been trying to get some extra TOZ-78 magazines in the US for years now (I lost one at a range a while ago, and want to replace it plus get some extras), and I found some here. Do you need to have a firearms permit or anything to buy accessories like magazines, or (should) this just be a cash and carry sort of thing?

You can even buy AR lowers and nobody will care.

You need permits only to buy barrels, bolts/slides, pistol/revolver frames, suppressors (except ones marked as "for airguns"), ammo and powder.

Edit: Holy poo poo, 1 Euro. They really want to get rid of it!

AntiTank fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 26, 2010

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

infrared35 posted:

That would be like putting a thumb safety on a Glock. Just like an XD is what you get when you put a grip safety on a Glock.

I think there is a Glock model with thumb safety, designed for some strange country's army. Somewhere in Asia i think. No idea, if they did finally bought it.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

DkHelmet posted:

My rear AK sight seems to be a bit canted. When looking directly down the rear and its groove, it points at the left hand part of the sight protector. It's a pain in my rear end since my front sight is mostly to the right, and the rear sight groove is getting in the way of the sight picture.

Is there any way to reset or alter the left-right angle in which the rear sight leaf sits? It's one of those Bulgarian 5.45 AKs from Centerfire.

It's more likely that your front sight post is canted, or the whole barrel assembly. I think a gunsmith can fix it.
And there is another solution - get a RPK rear sight with windage adjustment.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Gtab posted:

those speedfeed stocks suck balls

But why? :(

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

thermobollocks posted:

Are they made of the same cheap-rear end plastic as the normal Mossberg synthetic stocks?

I don't know :ohdear:

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, quick question for any other German speaking goons or anyone who happens to know a bunch about HKs (looking at you Automator):

So I've been eyeballing the various SMGs that the German cops have been carrying around the subways, train stations, important buildings, etc since everyone here started freaking out back in November about an "imminent terrorist attack" on Berlin. MP5s loving EVERYWHERE.

Anyways, looking at the selectors, I've noticed that they read S-E-F. S(icher) = Safety and E(inzelfeuer) = single shot is clear enough, but I just can't puzzle out what the F stands for. All of the old school (WWII era) German full autos I've seen tend to be in a S-E-D pattern where D(auerfeuer) = "continuous fire."

I'm also kind of wondering when that changed over. Part of me thinks it might have something to do with W. Germans not wanting to stamp SED on their guns, what with that being the party initials of the East German state party, but that's just rampant speculation based on something that makes me chuckle.

Feuerstoss

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ahhhhhh. Awesome, thanks.

So is there any substantial difference these days between Feuerstoss and Dauerfeuer? Feuerstoss seems like it would imply burst fire, but then you see the SEF packs on just about every HK out there, and I can't think of ever seeing an SED one.

As far as i know there is no SED trigger group.
And Feuerstoss means full auto. Maybe they are implying that you should fire controlled bursts if shooting full auto.

Limited burst trigger groups all have numbers or pictographs.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

spankmeister posted:

But Feuerstoss means burst, not full auto. :confused:

Linguistically - you are right.

But on a SEF trigger group Feuerstoß means full auto, or at least a really long burst :c00lbert:

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a question about the M4 and the collapsing stock. M4's with collapsing stocks are the only ones you can find in Finland and I want a field stock myself. I hear the collapsing stocks are desireable in america and fetch a pretty price, I was wondering if it would be legally possible to sell it to an american? I know there are no legal issues selling a stock from this side of the puddle.

I was told by an american that one would need an import permit in america but it would be free, from the dept. of commerce I think. Any confirmation or denial of this would be nice to have. Also a second question about possible 922r violations, if you put this stock on a gun thats one part away from violating 922r, would putting this part on take it over the edge?

Sell that poo poo to Germany. All the AR related stuff costs a$$rape here, so you'll get definitely more from it. And no customs fuckery.

If you have collapsible stock with mil-spec tube to sell - i have already a buyer for you.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, there's tons of WWII themed tours of Berlin you can take. I've never done the underground ones, but that's mostly because when I'm in town it's usually either the middle of winter

Well, you can take some of the tours through the winter. Even today http://berliner-unterwelten.de/kalender.153.0.html?date=2010-12-21

Sadly, the most interesting Flakturm is closed till April. If you still there - take it! But wouldn't advise to take the normal tour, you see only the relatively intact upper two floors. Take the "extreme" tour - it's much better.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

walrusman posted:

That's pretty affordable in Berlin! :v:

It would be pretty much ok for Berlin.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Dilkington posted:

I've got two questions: is there a good reason why ARs are still produced with forward assists?

A forward assist is necessary as long there is no charging handle mounted directly on the bolt carrier.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

SadWhaleFamily posted:

The thing I've noticed about the Caracals imported here are that they don't even have the one thing about them that's interesting, and that's the original sight system.

It's a stupid gimmick.

But the pistol is not bad. I liked the trigger - very short and noticeable reset. Heard about accuracy problems with UA-produced pistols, but the German-made ones are fine.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Defence/DLD_Products_GLOW-Green_Light_Optical_Warner/

Is this militarized shotgun_racking.mp3?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

On the plus side the LCD approach bypasses the whole 'limited amounts of light' issue, so whenever they improve the lag time and resolution on consumer-grade point-and-shoots to levels where they're comparable to optics (and I guess do something to help the whole 'trying to focus on a screen an inch from your face' deal) you'll be in business, and I wouldn't surprised if two out of the three are only a few years out.

There was this thing

http://www.armishop.it/de/Meosmart-Digital/c-CANN-MEOPTA/a-ID.001948

Scope with integrated camera.
Except it can only take pictures, no video.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

PyrE posted:

I've been shooting my pistols a lot lately and I have a porblem. I am pretty confident with my Beretta 92 when I shoot and get decent groupings. Same thing with my LCP. However, I am always consistently pulling left with my glock 19. I have about 1000 rounds through the thing and I am coming up for a loss as to how I can make shots with the Beretta that I pull left with the Glock. Should I just adjust the sights to compensate for my pulling it left? How is it possible I am dead on with my other pistols and leftarded with the glock?

Here's another great dry firing exercise. Position yourself in front of a white wall, it should be uniform white to grey, without texture. Bring your pistol up, focus on front sight, pull the trigger. The front sight should not move. Do it like 15 minutes a day.

Do not gently caress around with the sights.

AntiTank fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 25, 2012

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Unskilled Labour posted:

I wonder what a Glock would be like if it were Australian?

Magazine on top.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Hey Canadian guys! Do your country have ITAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Baconroll posted:

Any suggestions for a winter hat that can still be used with ear defenders ? I usually just wear a baseball cap but want something a bit more substantial for the cold weather range days.