Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

I thought I'd post this question here since I'm not sure what to make of what I was told.

Basically, I went into the local sportsmen club to get into bullseye shooting. Needless to say, I'm not great at long range centerfire pistol shooting, so naturally I did want to start up next time with a .22 (scored something like 249/300, to my shame). I assume that I should want to mount a scope on this pistol for optimal results. Now, I was told by my fellow club members that I should invest in a high end target pistol, which runs upwards of $1000 and counting.

On the other hand, I've had my eye on a Browning Buckmark since that would be great for plinking with the fiancee. There are definitely several models of the Buckmark with rails for mounting scopes, so couldn't I use a Buckmark for bullseye shooting? And if so, is the logic that a longer barrel means more accuracy? Or is a standard length barrel with a scope just dandy?

Is there anything THAT much better with the $1000+ models? A lot of the other guys were packing some really ancient-looking Smith & Wesson rimfire pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, those guys were just falling into the fallacy that everyone who is into a sport that uses expensive equipment is prone to - that beginners need to have the absolute top end poo poo that serious competitors use while they're still learning.

I figured. I think I can also do without the $200 gun tote with integrated telescope, right? :)

Pitch posted:

Also, in general the logic to a long-barreled bullseye pistol is how it balances in the hand. Extra weight in the barrel is generally considered a positive thing. The long-barrels aren't inherently more accurate.

Is there any particular Buckmark that is better than the other long-barreled Buckmarks?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Is someone going to take his guns away? Is he really suicidal?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Buck Mark Contour 7.25 URX for $450. Brick and mortar store, so sales tax. Probably have to wait a week or two for it to come in. Worth tit?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Okay, does anyone know if the bloody iron sights on the M&P 15-22 are supposed to come off? I installed a brand new RDS and the irons won't come off! Any advice on getting those things loose?

(Should I even take the irons off?)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

A wrench sounds good to me!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

I almost accidentally posted in this thread a love poem bacon because I thought it was the low carb thread.

Serious question:

I am slowly saving up towards an AR. Now, would it make more sense to buy one now, or will prices keep steady or go lower? Or will there be significant price increases?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

How do you replace the battery in the Primary Arms Gen7 Microdot?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

BitBasher posted:

Use a coin in the slot on the brightness adjustment knob and turn it. The battery is a cr2032 if memory serves and as mentioned, it's inside that knob.

Thanks! Now I feel dumb!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

What the heck what kind of ranges cost that much? I was just complaining about how mine cost $30/year with a first time $30 starting fee.

Now I feel bad. :(

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Find something that you can make money off of.

A friend of mine made a killing on his "VHS to DVD conversion" business in college.

The other guy sold weed when he was finishing his dissertation.

Oddly the DVD piracy guy made more money.

Or you could just shoot .22LR exclusively.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

spankmeister posted:

I used to sell movies and music back when I was the only one with cable internet on the block, but nowadays everybody has fast internet so they just use torrents or usenet themselves.

Also I'm too lazy to do it. My sister asked me to burn all seasons of lost for her, but she is too cheap to buy a media player for her TV, and I'm too lazy to download and burn 5+ discs per season x6 seasons.

Put it this way, there are a lot of dumb and/or lazy college kids.

Not advocating people do illegal things, but just food for thought that there are always ways to run a business on the side if you're in college. Heck, one girl made a killing in the laundry business. All she did was run the washer and dryer while she listened to trance music while doing homework. Folding the clothes was extra. It's surprising how lazy rich college kids are.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Propagandalf posted:

And she probably did pretty well just from checking pockets first. At least once a year a find a :20bux: that I forgot about in the washer.

Shhhh! On top of $25 per load that was always nice to find a "gratuity."

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

You could do the laundry thing nowadays too. I'm sure there's no dearth of students who miss their mommy doing their laundry or are incapable of doing so without their mothers.

Would you pay $25 a load, though? With no folding? I might adjust that pricing scheme, though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Naramyth posted:

Plasma is a good supplemental income. It was an easy $200/month and I actually got some reading done. In fact that is how I paid for my wife's ring while putting myself though college delivering pizza.

And I get to say it is a blood diamond. :byodood:

I've been trying to find a plasma place in my area (Zip Code One Eight Oh One Five) but I have yet to find one. Is there a centralized place to search for these things?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Aperture Priority posted:

Question. Why can't California treat us like goddamn adults and let me carry to defend myself!

I'm doing some temporary security work and I'm stuck in an office building that was broken into last night. This place has multiple entrances/exits and no matter where I go my back is always exposed. And right now my only means of defense is a Maglite!

I could talk to my boss about open carry, but that stands a snowballs chance of happening.

Really more of a rant, I really hate the way this building is set up.

Don't carry anything of value if you're likely to have someone get the drop on you in that building. If someone breaks in, hide and call the police. And if they try to rob you just give them your wallet. A credit card, a few bucks, and the wallet you got at Target is not worth a lawsuit.

Edit: This is the kind of country we live in now I guess.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Pennsylvania isn't that bad. Thank god.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

DeathSandwich posted:

So within the next couple of weeks I'm going to be coming into a decently large inheritance and like any true red blooded American, I'm going to put at least some of that into buying a few guns for myself. I already have a Remington 870 Super Magnum for bird and clay pigeon slaying.

I've been thinking I want to get a PSL-54c, and then some sort of nightstand gun, possibly a sig. The PSL I'm pretty sold on, but I'm not entirely sure on the handgun. I don't care much for the feel of the glock, and I don't intend to CCW and would rather have a full sized handgun that fits my large hands well. Any suggestions?

M&P9. Just sayin' :)

DJExile posted:

Showin' Pennsylvania love itt

Didn't that guy defect to Canada?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

DJExile posted:

Nope they own.

Someday.... someday.

Just so I can buy this:
http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/bsgfs.shtml

Great carbine for range fun. I wouldn't regret it if I had to choose out of all the pistol caliber carbines. Well, I would regret the price tag. Kinda. Sorta. Maybe not.

But nooo I always go in a store and it's always $799 and not a penny less.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Black Stormy posted:

$799 you say....

What caliber are you looking for?

9mm (nerd flash hider doesn't fit other calibers). And no, not until I finish my current AR build after I buy that Spikes upper from you in March this year. :)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

That would still be a $50 sales tax I would be avoiding!

Actual question: I have a Garand that I don't shoot at all but I keep around for sentimental reasons. How should I store it long term? It's lying in the back of my closet as of now.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

it's funny how after all of that I basically agree with this 100%.

i also recommend that you use a handgun for HD, massad ayoob has a lot of convincing arguments for why that is the case but shotguns are also good to have around.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob54.html

This is one of the articles about that, right? Basically I'm not sure he explained it thoroughly enough for my intellectual needs.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Pshhh Glocks look sweet. M&Ps look weird to me.

M&Ps are sleek. Glocks are boxy functional but ugly guns.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

I tried shooting a Glock once but I kept thinking about the fat naked hairy man. So I ended up with an M&P. True story.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

How fat and hairy do I have to be to qualify? Or am I just a Totoro, short of a bear?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

I think I saw Jonathan Frakes at Perkins once. He was really fat.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-15000-Rubber-Finger-Grooves/dp/B000H6C3P2

Is this the best deal on Hogue grips for an AR-15? And am I correct in thinking that they don't make Hogue grips for the M&P9?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Are these the Peltors that everyone talks about?

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97044-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B00009363P

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Probably these then:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-MT15H7F-SV-Tactical-Protector/dp/B0006968YM/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

I thought the Primary Arms lights were airsoft knockoffs?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

wilfoy posted:

They're specifically designed to handle the recoil of real guns. Marshall, the owner, posts on AR15.com a lot and takes a great deal of pride in his products. Even he will admit that they're not as durable as an Aimpoint, but they're far from airsoft crap.

I know that's true about the scopes but I heard that the lights were pretty mediocre for the money.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

DakianDelomast posted:

Trying to establish a hard requirement into a hypothetical scenario that has millions of variables is a pretty pointless exercise. I'm not about to discourage someone from carrying their pistol just because it doesn't have night sights. I would recommend having a set, but it's more important that the CCW carrier is comfortable firing their firearm.

I always figured since I don't have night sights I just carry a small flashlight in my pocket. Better safe than sorry.

Though if I did want to get night sights, is it something you could buy the kit and DIY at home?

No I am not going to buy those Trijicon night sights I saw on Amazon, so don't "HEY INSANE TOTORO BUY THOSE NEW SIGHTS" me.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

The Sphinxster posted:

The reason I don't go right to the 10/22 is that you can get a .22 for half the price, if you don't care about modularity. The big advantage with the 10/22, it seems to me, is the sea of aftermarket parts. There are cheaper options for learning to shoot and bagging small game.

Marlin 795s aren't bad shooters either. I don't hunt but some people swear by them for taking small game.

Our local Dicks Sporting Goods had them for $129 recently. They may even have coupons that are valid on the purchase.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Our local range has issues with members shooting the permanent target hangers and stands. I've been toying around with the idea of building my own and I was thinking about doing something with some 2x4s from Home Depot. It'd have to be collapsible or easily disassembled since I can't leave them there (club rules and even if it was allowed someone would probably just shoot it to pieces for shits and giggles). Then I saw this article on building one out of PVC pipe:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

Can anyone comment on this design or other potential ideas that could fit in a standard sized sedan?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

I haven't run into this problem yet but I imagine that the wood uprights might not fit perfectly. Assume that I cut off too much wood, how might I possibly stuff then in so that they fit? Foam?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

charliebravo77 posted:

What the loving gently caress. My M&P40 striker just broke. Apparently this isn't an isolated incident too. :wtf:

Condolences :(

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

If I have a decently large footlocker crammed with all my cleaning supplies and ammo, how big of a desiccant pack do I need? I'd say it's about 40" x 20" x 14" large. Are there any particular desiccant packs recommended for ammo storage?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Well that is heartening!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

You can't be serious.

How else would you carry the gun? A transparent holster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Okay someone snitched the communal bench rest at the pistol range. Is there any way for me to make one of these? I see a lot of people with "sand bags." I'm wondering if I can make a DIY version?