Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

Miniature Moose posted:

I love me some Betty Crocker recipes. I just tried one for "Apple Jack Cookies", and they are AMAZING.

No seriously. Make this cookie. Especially if you're like me and love apples.

Apple Jack Cookies

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 medium apple, chopped (1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla (this isn't in the original recipe, but I've found this really helps make the cookies taste amazing)

1) Heat oven to 375º. Grease cookie sheet with shortening. Beat brown sugar, butter and egg in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, nutmeg, salt and baking soda. Stir in apple.
2) Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet.
3) Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack (or if you're like me and found out while making them you didn't have a wire rack, use napkins/paper towels on plates); cool. Store loosely covered. It should make about 24 cookies.

TIPS:
*Chop the apples BEFORE you start making the mix. Seriously. It takes FOREVER.
*This would probably go great with a caramel sauce if you really want to have some.
*Just use your measuring teaspoon to scoop the mix onto the cookie sheet if you don't have a small scoop, like me.
*Be thankful if you have an electric mixer. I don't (my roommate keeps hers in her locked room and wasn't home), and creaming the butter/egg/brown sugar with a wooden spoon SUCKED.

Here are some pics, because I know you all love them:

I saw the name and was hoping for your cookies to be filled with cereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

BulimicGoat posted:

I thought the same thing when I first read the title of the recipe.

borealis
May 18, 2008

polyfractal posted:

:aaaaa: Those cookies were rich originally, I can't even imagine with an oreo inside. I bet they taste delicious

I actually found that they WERE too rich with a whole (or half) Oreo inside. It actually works better to crush up Oreos and put them in the batter, though that's a bit removed from the novelty of the recipe itself. It tastes good with peanut butter cookies.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I've made this recipe (http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocchipcookies/r/blbb329.htm) at least 15 times and never had a problem, until now! The only thing I did different was use a different brand of butter and microwaved it for 25 seconds to soften it. The dough is super soft I can't roll it or anything. It just turns to mush. I have it in the fridge now to see if that will harden it. Is there any saving this dough or do I just start over?

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Vixenella posted:

I've made this recipe (http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocchipcookies/r/blbb329.htm) at least 15 times and never had a problem, until now! The only thing I did different was use a different brand of butter and microwaved it for 25 seconds to soften it. The dough is super soft I can't roll it or anything. It just turns to mush. I have it in the fridge now to see if that will harden it. Is there any saving this dough or do I just start over?

The fridge will save it! Don't abandon such tastiness! :siren:

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009

PezMaster posted:

The fridge will save it! Don't abandon such tastiness! :siren:

Okay so I let it chill for a couple hours and then made them. They are flat and a little harder than normal. What would cause all of this? Normally I buy butter in Washington but this time I bought it in Vancouver it's the only difference!

*note if anyone else makes these cookies in my oven I bake them for 9mins.

goobernloveslave
Apr 29, 2009

your stuff better be gone in the morning
I have a friend who loves to bake, so I bought him a copy of Flour, and before wrapping it, I found her recipe for rosemary shortbread. I just made them, and they are delicious! I added a bit more rosemary than the 1 tsp the recipe called for, and I really like how strong the rosemary flavor is now. I held off buying the book for myself because the author is actually going to be at the bookstore near my house in the end of April and I am going to try and get a signed copy!

The cookies:

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Vixenella posted:

Okay so I let it chill for a couple hours and then made them. They are flat and a little harder than normal. What would cause all of this? Normally I buy butter in Washington but this time I bought it in Vancouver it's the only difference!

Using different butter brands would make a bit of a difference - but maybe not so noticeably. The cookies I make using the lovely no-name stuff for sure has a different texture than when I use the lovely organic stuff. Really, though, I think your problem came from over-heating the butter (maybe melting it a bit?). That sometimes mucks up recipes.

Funny, I'm from Vancouver. I wonder if my cookies would be fluffier if I bought butter down in the states? You guys do have loving cheap dairy. I bought my last pound of butter for just under four bucks up here:(

:butterchat: :words:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vixenella posted:

If you softened the butter too much, then you wouldn't be able to get enough air in it when you creamed it, which would result in flat, hard cookies.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BulimicGoat posted:

You're in luck. I have that recipe on hand.

1 stick softened butter
1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup AP Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
3 Cups (crushed to 2) Apple Jacks

Mix like a normal homemade dough. Bake at 350F for 9-11 minutes and let sit for 1.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Using different butter brands would make a bit of a difference - but maybe not so noticeably. The cookies I make using the lovely no-name stuff for sure has a different texture than when I use the lovely organic stuff. Really, though, I think your problem came from over-heating the butter (maybe melting it a bit?). That sometimes mucks up recipes.

Funny, I'm from Vancouver. I wonder if my cookies would be fluffier if I bought butter down in the states? You guys do have loving cheap dairy. I bought my last pound of butter for just under four bucks up here:(

:butterchat: :words:

I live in Vancouver also but I go to the states on a regular basis to get groceries. And I always stock up on butter when I go. I always just buy store brand from Fred Myer or Walmart when we are down there, it's usually $1.50 a pound! I got this butter on sale at Save On for $3.29. I can't believe how much it costs up here!

I guess I over heated it, I'm very impatient and didn't want to wait for it to soften on it's own! Now I know for next time. Thanks PezMaster and FlashGordonRamsay!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

overdesigned posted:

I made chocolate chip cookies the other day.

They were tasty.

These look perfect. That is exactly what I imagine the perfect chocolate chip cookie to look like. Are they as chewy as they appear? What recipe did you use?

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Mississippi Mud Pie Cookies - awesome if you want a quick, chocolaty sugar high. I think I ate half a bag of mini marshmallows making them:

Jizzy Q
Oct 31, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Mississippi Mud Pie Cookies - awesome if you want a quick, chocolaty sugar high. I think I ate half a bag of mini marshmallows making them:

Oh my goodness, recipe please. I have to eat this immediately. They look gorgeous.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

PezMaster posted:

Holy crap, you sure did! You are seriously boggling my mind with those piping skills. What did you use for the last cookies? Food colour marker?

I was working with the rosewater cutout cookies I mentioned the other day and, unfortunately, gave up (I wanted to make it a sandwich cookie and the filling didn't want to cooperate). I'll try it again this February.

Until then, I've got a cookie that is a must-bake. It's really easy and so loving good.

Made these with almonds instead of walnuts/pecans and 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of almond extract. They're baking right now. So excited. First thing I've made from GWS (from tasting the batter, definitely not the last).

My goddddddd mmmmmm. I made the second half of the batter into one giant cookie.. Can't wait to eat it. These things are delicious. Can't wait to try making pecan next.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Made these with almonds instead of walnuts/pecans and 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of almond extract. They're baking right now. So excited. First thing I've made from GWS (from tasting the batter, definitely not the last).

My goddddddd mmmmmm. I made the second half of the batter into one giant cookie.. Can't wait to eat it. These things are delicious. Can't wait to try making pecan next.

Let me know how the giant cookies comes out - that sounds ridiculously awesome. I just hope the middle cooks okay for you :ohdear:

Jizzy Q posted:

Oh my goodness, recipe please. I have to eat this immediately. They look gorgeous.

A warning: they're super sweet! You might want to play around with the sugar content if cookies made for the palate of children disgusts you slightly:

Mississippi Mud Pie Cookies
Makes about 1 dozen

3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped and melted
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
miniature marshmallows

1) Preheat oven to 350F. Combine Flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.

2) In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg, then the vanilla, and mix well until everything has come together. Add the melted chocolate and mix until everything is evenly chocolaty.

3) With a wooden spoon, mix the dry ingredients into your wet until just combined. Mix in the pecans and chocolate chips until everything is evenly distributed. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls onto your baking sheet and push three marshmallows into the top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then cool until set. Best enjoyed while warm.

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

But when turning her head at an extreme angle fails to produce a life-altering epiphany, she usually just short-circuits and rolls on her back.

Vixenella posted:

I guess I over heated it, I'm very impatient and didn't want to wait for it to soften on it's own! Now I know for next time. Thanks PezMaster and FlashGordonRamsay!

I've found a great way to soften butter in a sort-of hurry without melting it completely is it to set it on top of the stove while pre-heating the oven - if the range and oven aren't two separate fixtures in your kitchen. Sadly, I have an older electric stove/oven in my apartment (god, I miss the gas range at my parents' place), but at least it's very convenient for softening butter. :sweatdrop:

EDIT: In other news, I have broken all three of my crappy store-brand wooden spoons mixing cookie dough. Any recommendations on higher-quality spoons that can withstand really thick oatmeal cookie dough, and other similar trials?

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

PezMaster posted:

Let me know how the giant cookies comes out - that sounds ridiculously awesome. I just hope the middle cooks okay for you :ohdear:

It was awesome. I used 6 tbsps of batter in a circle and cooked it for 18 minutes. Turned out as basically just a gigantic smaller one. Girlfriend and I devoured it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

PezMaster posted:

Holy poo poo, seeing this brought back a repressed memory of mine: Slop Cookies.

Take one perfectly normal chocolate chip cookie recipe. Add a bag of mini marshmallows and a packet of cherry koolaid. Cook.

Oh God now I can taste it again :gonk:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Wandering Knitter posted:

Holy poo poo, seeing this brought back a repressed memory of mine: Slop Cookies.

Take one perfectly normal chocolate chip cookie recipe. Add a bag of mini marshmallows and a packet of cherry koolaid. Cook.

Oh God now I can taste it again :gonk:

I was liking this until the cherry kool-aid part. But maybe chopped, dried cherries instead... I wish I had PezMasters daring in the kitchen! My co-workers end up being my guinea pigs. They haven't started to hate me, yet.

This digression does remind me of a batch of oatmeal cookies I made that I subbed dried cranberries for raisins and added slivered almonds. They actually came out really good.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

cocoavalley posted:

This digression does remind me of a batch of oatmeal cookies I made that I subbed dried cranberries for raisins and added slivered almonds. They actually came out really good.

I made the "oatmeal scotchies" recipe from my Toll House cookbook the other night with chocolate chips instead of butterscotch and dried cranberries added, and did it as bars rather than drop cookies. It is astonishingly good for how simple it is.

jimmie
Feb 4, 2006

Help! They are going to steal my identity!

ITM posted:

Sugar Buns

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup custard powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
75g melted butter (2 2/12 oz)
milk to mix (just under 1/4 cup or so)

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Add in egg, butter and some milk. Mix, then mix in chocolate chips or whatever. Roll into golf ball sized balls and place onto greased tray. Press down a little with a spoon. Sprinkle raw sugar over the top of the buns and bake at 180C for about 12 minutes.

I made a double batch of these today for a meeting after getting inspired by this thread. I couldn't find custard powder anywhere, so I had to substitute in corn flour and vanilla extract. I put 1/3 cup 60% dark chocolate chips and 1/3 cup dried blueberries/raspberries/cherries/cranberries. I don't think I put enough of either in, and I don't think I put in enough vanilla, either, but I will certainly do try this again now that I know what I'm doing! They were still an unexpected hit at the meeting, though!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

dik-dik posted:

These look perfect. That is exactly what I imagine the perfect chocolate chip cookie to look like. Are they as chewy as they appear? What recipe did you use?

Happy to oblige! They are wonderfully chewy with just the right amount of light crisp to the edge. The recipe is from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion (which I highly recommend to just about anybody who likes baking stuff), but it's not one of the myriad ones they've also got on their site, so here it is:

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes about 3 dozen)

Ingredients

12 tbsp (1.5 sticks, or 6oz) butter
1 1/4 cups (10 oz) packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 1/2 oz) light corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups (9 1/2 oz) AP flour
1 cup (4 oz) chopped and toasted nuts (optional, I omit them)
2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

Procedure

Preheat oven to 375F.

Beat butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup until fluffy. Beat in vanilla, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, then mix in the egg and beat well. Beat in flour, then stir in chocolate chips (and nuts if you're using them).

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment or silpat-lined sheets, and bake for 12-14 minutes (or until they look like they did in my picture). They'll look a little underdone when you pull them but they'll set and be nice and chewy when they cool. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

RazorBunny posted:

I made the "oatmeal scotchies" recipe from my Toll House cookbook the other night with chocolate chips instead of butterscotch and dried cranberries added, and did it as bars rather than drop cookies. It is astonishingly good for how simple it is.

I love what oatmeal does for cookies. I like to add some to my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe instead of nuts and they have such good flavor from it.

Incidentally, my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe is the one from my grandmother's Betty Crocker Red Book (you know, the one that says how every good wife knows how her man likes his eggs) and lately it has just tasted too sweet to me (drat grown-up sweetness intolerance, I guess?)

Can I take out some of the sugar without borking the recipe?

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Truffle with raw chocolate chip cookie dough. No eggs and Baileys instead of milk.

lanefrost
Dec 11, 2002

Give me my binkie!

Robo Olga posted:

Truffle with raw chocolate chip cookie dough. No eggs and Baileys instead of milk.

and how?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

For my brother-in-law's birthday:

I figured it's more cookie than cake, so I posted here. The recipe is Hershey's Three Great Tastes Blond Brownies and it came out with the same soft, chewy texture of the store bought cookie-cakes (but better flavor.) I subbed mini chocolate chips, Heath bits and mini M&Ms for the prescribed chips and spread it in a 14" pizza tray. It was baked for 25 minutes but probably could have been taken out at 20 because it was slightly tough around the edges. Since he and my sister just had a baby, their dog has been acting neglected (she's not) so as a joke I put her face on it. (Thanks frankdiabetes for the inspiration with your pug-face cake!)

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
Pate Brisee Cookies

These are really easy and quick to make. I almost have a tin of them in the cupboard for eating with coffee. Most people just make them from pie dough scraps. I have a tendency to not measure, so the amounts for the topping are guesses. Taste it and add more cinnamon/spice depending on what you like.

Dough:
1 1/4 cups flour
4 oz. (one stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. ice-cold water

Topping:
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of cayenne pepper
A few dashes of allspice
Pinch of salt

-Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor and pulse to combine.
-Add the butter a few chunks at a time and use short pulses to process until the texture is sandy.
-Add the water while pulsing just until pinching the mixture will make it adhere. You may not need a full two tbsp.
-Handling it as little as possible, pat the dough into a ball, flatten into a small disc and refrigerate for a half hour.
-Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
-Combine the dry ingredients for the topping and set aside.
-Melt the 1 tbsp. butter in a small pan.
-Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, no thicker than 1/4 inch, and brush the surface with the melted butter.
-Sprinkle on the topping and pat it into the dough gently to make it adhere.
-Cut into strips using a pizza cutter. You can put those on a baking sheet as-is or shape into spirals, long twists, or whatever else suits your fancy.
-Bake 13-15 minutes or until just barely firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.

If you didn't mess with the dough too much, they'll be crisp and sweet on the outside, flaky and rich inside.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

lanefrost posted:

and how?

I think you could probably use any chocolate chip cookie recipe you like just minus the eggs and baking soda or whatever, but this is what I did

1 C butter room temp combine with
3/4 brown sugar +
3/4 granulated sugar
mix until fluffy and then add
1/3 cup Baileys
mix in
2 1/2 C a/p flour
1 t salt
mix until all the flour is incorporated and then stir in
1 C dark chocolate chips

Make a bunch of little cookie balls, about 1 T each.
Melt 16 ounces or so of dark chocolate in a double boiler
Roll the cookie balls in the melted chocolate and let them sit at room temperature on parchment paper for about 45 minutes. The chocolate coating will harden and you can store them in the fridge after that.

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

But when turning her head at an extreme angle fails to produce a life-altering epiphany, she usually just short-circuits and rolls on her back.

There's nothing quite like baking cookies at 4 in the morning. I'm pretty pleased with these, there's just the right amount of peanut butter flavor, and the roommates seem inclined to agree.

I doubled this recipe and cut out the chocolate chips, opting to place one large chip in the middle of each cookie, because Ghiradelli's chips are huge, and I didn't have 2 cups of them. I used crunchy peanut butter, as it absolutely perfects the texture (and I was raised on crunchy). I also wound up baking these for the full time of 12 minutes to get them golden, but of course, your mileage will vary based on oven.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Pate Brisee Cookies

Hah, this is exactly what my mom always did with leftover pie crust pieces from a pie. We call them Snippy Doodles, and my Uncle Pat has an uncanny ability to show up at our house after they've just come out of the oven. These things taste like happy childhood to me.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Let's kick this cookie thread into gear again:

Twix Cookies

2 cups + 2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups Twix bars, coarsely chopped

1) Preheat your oven to 325. In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2) With an electric mixer, mix up your butter and two sugars until light and fluffy. Add your egg, and continue mixing, then add your yolk. Beat in the vanilla. With a wooden spoon, mix in your dry ingredients. When everything has started to come together, mix in your twix pieces.

3) Plop walnut- to golf ball-sized pieces on your baking pan and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

PezMaster posted:

Some loving amazing-looking cookies

I am making these tomorrow because they look goddamned amazing, and sound fantastic. And it's been like 2-3 weeks since I last made cookies (but I made cupcakes last week - that counts, right?)

Mid-Priced Carp
Aug 10, 2008
Blueberry Crumb Bars

It's like a slightly sweet shortbread cookie, with blueberry pie on top, with streusel on top of that.

Link to recipe (and better pictures that I cannot hope to replicate with my terrible phone camera) can be found at http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/blueberry-crumb-bars/.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

PezMaster posted:

Twix Cookies

I made these tonight and they are reeeally good. The cookie dough tastes very caramel-y and complements the twix great. Definitely taking these into work so that I don't eat them all myself!

I found that it was worth trying to make sure that the twix pieces were surrounded by dough - my first batch out of the oven had pools of melted chocolate/caramel running out of them that hardened when cool (gotta love parchment paper!) Perhaps some would prefer them that way though...

Thanks Pezmaster!

PitbullBrains
Mar 30, 2011

chaniara posted:

Blueberry Crumb Bars

It's like a slightly sweet shortbread cookie, with blueberry pie on top, with streusel on top of that.

Link to recipe (and better pictures that I cannot hope to replicate with my terrible phone camera) can be found at http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/blueberry-crumb-bars/.

oh my goodness, so good. perfect for summer.

Frosted Ambassador
Dec 26, 2009

Surfing on the network
Part of me is dead

chaniara posted:

Blueberry Crumb Bars

You inspired me to make this, however mine ended up too crumbly and delicate to cut up into bars and eat like a cookie. Still a drat good crumbly cobbler thing, but I was going for cookie bar. Any idea what I could do to fix that?

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

Frosted Ambassador posted:

You inspired me to make this, however mine ended up too crumbly and delicate to cut up into bars and eat like a cookie. Still a drat good crumbly cobbler thing, but I was going for cookie bar. Any idea what I could do to fix that?
More liquid, less temperature, less baking time (in this order, I'd go for more liquid first).

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Boston cream pie cookies for our Stanley Cup celebration. They were eaten up fast - even here in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

What's a cookie recipe that uses a lot of milk? I want to make chai cookies, but just adding cinnamon, cloves and cardamom won't cut it, so my idea is to make chai and then use it as a substitute for milk.