Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

FISHMANPET posted:

The earth stuff was my favorite.

I agree. Season 3 actually kinda bothered me because there was so much stuff Delenn was making everyone do on faith, when Sheridan and the rest of the Earth crew were at that point pretty loving jaded about the 'god' subject. The whole "THERE IS A COMING DARKNESS QUICK MAKE A WAR ROOM WITHOUT ANY PROOF" stuff seemed pretty out of place. The Earth stuff, though, was downright chilling. The only parts I didn't like was when it was revealed that Earth was working at least in part with the Shadows. I was more moved by the idea of Earth being corrupted on a galactic scale entirely from within. The ISN and Sheridan Torture plot arcs absolutely blew me away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r1nxl86RXY

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hey, sweet YouTube videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA&feature=related
Not going to bother to spoiler a YouTube link, because, c'mon.

I spoiler'd it because I enjoyed going through the show not knowing really anything about it, not knowing whether they were going to go ahead and make Earth out-and-out bad guys. I wouldn't even want the video you just posted spoiled for me, despite it being one of the most amazing loving scenes ever.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

tastychicken posted:

Garibaldi and Boomer? That military chick from GROPO? I'm confused. Who is Boomer?

He means the asian second in command from the pilot. See, he calls her Boomer because she is asian just like another asian sci-fi character. They're asian!

(But seriously, the lady in the B5 pilot and the lady who played Boomer in BSG are both godawful overactors and deserve that comparison)

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Habibi posted:

My favorite B5 out-take by far is the one scene in the council chambers where Sheridan makes some ultimatum and the ambassadors all erupt with cries of, "Outrage!" and "Unacceptable!" and one guy in the back smacks his desk and yells, "THIS IS BULLSHIT!"

Oh god is there video of this? This sounds loving hysterical

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Anyone for a couple of close friends in an elevator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE
The fun bits are from about two minutes on. I hear you!

This is some good poo poo. You almost wanna laugh with him until you realize how hosed up the whole situation is.

I watched through all of Deep Space 9 recently, and I'd tell my big Trek nerd friend which episodes I was running through, and sometimes he'd go "Get ready for some AC-TING!" I thought, oh poo poo, this is gonna be good, but then the parts he were talking about came and went, and I was left thinking "this wasn't that bad" (most of the time)

But today I realized, that's because I watched this loving show.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

The Big One posted:

- A pdf linked directly from Ivanova's article about what happens to Marcus' body after all those years of cryogenic suspension, written by JMS. I thought it was an interesting read: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wvwyu4tb4nj

This is some wild poo poo. And I love how it's not even unprecedented in the context of the show since they did that season finale where they went thousands of years into the future.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Palleon posted:

The whole Reebo and Zooty bits were TERRIBLE. The rest of the episode was okay (I actually liked it quite a bit), but any scene with Penn and Teller was brutal. I can't tell if they thought that was supposed to be funny, or if it was supposed to be ironically funny because they were so terrible.

I always assumed it was the latter. When Sheridan/Londo have their first conversation about them (I think it's in season 4), Sheridan cracks up at the line, "Zooty, zoot zoot!" and Londo doesn't get it (Londo is the audience). I think it was an attempt to poke fun at the fact that Earth humor a lot of times isn't actually that funny, yet we laugh at it for any number of reasons (our friends laugh at it, there's a laugh track, etc.) Just another one of those things they did in that show to show you human culture from an alien perspective.

But whether Penn and Teller were in on the joke when they came on the show or were just getting paid to do bad jokes, we may never know.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

bobkatt013 posted:

They did it better when Delenn was watching Looney Tunes with Garibaldi and she had no idea why it was funny.

Basically, for everything that happens in Season 5 (Teep cult, Reebo and Zooty) there was a situation where they did it better in the earlier show (Night Watch, Daffy Duck)

Palleon posted:

So what you're saying is, Rebo and Zooty are the Carlos Mencia and Jeff Dunham of the future.

Exactly.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

The Big One posted:

the bit where Londo is saddened that he didn't see a religious figure like everyone else at the end of season 2.

I loved this part, but was always confused about how humans saw him. It was just some lumpy headed alien. Was it supposed to be a Grey?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was suppose to be an angel, and everyone else saw a spiritual figure from their religion.

Yeah, an angel makes sense I guess, it's just that every other species saw a specific person. Though since Earth's religions are so varied it'd be lovely to just pick Jesus or someone equally recognizeable, especially since the main human characters are all atheist. It would have been especially hard if Sinclair had been the one saved, considering that episode where he introduced Delenn to a bunch of religious leaders of Earth at the end of that S1 episode.

My favorite part about B5 is how beautifully the show consistently dealt with (earth) religion - smart and skeptical with the occasional dose of awe-filled reverance, and all done from an outside perspective. The whole concept of Franklin's religion, Foundationism, is a lot like an idealized version of Unitarian Universalism, a church I've been tied to most of my life despite some misgivings I have - namely, they profess to be open-minded towards all religions, but most of the members I've met are ex-christians(or jews, is, whatever) who are too busy being angry and liberal to do any meaningful soul-searching of their own.

e: and about the angel thing, kinda weird they'd spend the money on new alien makeup when they could have just had a human angel, or at least one that was obviously human with perhaps some off-putting differences (maybe hairless) - since the Vorlons appeared to every other species as exactly that species.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 29, 2010

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Doctor Zero posted:

No, you're missing the point. The Vorlons were doing subtle manipulation, which is why they were so reluctant to reveal it. They didn't come down to early humans and go WE ARE ANGELS AND YOU WILL DO OUR WILL OR SUFFER, otherwise they wouldn't bother creeping around in encounter suits. They planted the seeds in each race. Appear to some poor schmoe here, do some miracle there, so it all ends up being woven into the myth and psyche of each race. Then when they pop out of the encounter suit, those races go "dawwwww, they look kind of like angels! :3:" and not "HOLY poo poo YOU'VE BEEN MIND loving US FOR 10,000 YEARS YOU ASSHOLES! :argh:"

Remember, the point of the Vorlon/Shadow conflict wasn't direct confrontation (at least until Sheridan mucked it up), it was to sheppard the younger races along, and they did that behind the scenes.

To use the parent analogy, it would be easy for a father to sit a kid down and say "gently caress what your mother wants, you're gonna be a goddamn astronaut!" and another to just give the kid a toy rocket ship, or put on NASA TV when the mom's not around. One is giving the kid no choice, the other is trying to get the kid to make the choice "by himself."

Which is fine, but the other races DID see specific imagery, there's even a scene where a narn (probably g'kar) and a drazi were arguing over who it actually was, but none of them seemed to realize it was Kosh for some reason. The Vorlons didn't seem to use a pattern in their manipulation is all.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Palleon posted:

Kind of unrelated, but I have been watching Chuck for the first time to try to catch up for the new season, and just saw Bruce Boxlietner show up, and he has aged surprisingly well.

He has at least a small part in the new Tron movie so I'm excited.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

CommunistMojo posted:

I always thought Vir was decently portrayed or maybe it was just because his scene's usually entailed Lando being nearby and his awesome just obscured any terrible done by Vir.

Anything bad Vir has ever done is made up for when a threat he makes in season 3 gets fulfilled in Season 4. That was the loving best ever

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Tighclops posted:

You and me.

We're fighting.

I liked Ivanova most of the time, but man, her 'epic moment' at the end of season four was delivered so poorly - it sounded more like a joke.

seaborgium posted:

Vir always fit perfectly to me, no matter what. He seemed like the kind of everyman/nice guy everyone kind of wants to be, even if he is a little naive at times. He did some stupid poo poo, but it was always in character and made sense. Hell, one of the biggest things I liked about his character was Londo threatened to quit as ambassador if Vir was removed from his position. He had no real reason to do it. Seriously, he thought Vir wasn't very good at his job and if he had not known Vir he would have been demanding his removal as well, but because he knew Vir he just honestly thought he was a decent person and so should keep his job and not be disgraced. Even Londo with all his faults saw Vir as someone who should be around to make everyone better, not just shoved back into a hole to rot.

I always loved him too, I just worded my post in that way to let everyone know that, even if you don't like him now, you'll warm up to him. Goes the same for almost everything else in the show.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Burning_Monk posted:

So... fasten, then zip?

Fasten zip. :hfive:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Habibi posted:

How do you even zip before fastening? You have to like hold it together anyway to make it happen. May as well fasten first.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Fasten zip! :c00l:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

MiraariM posted:

Speaking of season 4 plots, why in the world didn't they make William Edgars Bester's father? Their accents were even fairly similar.

I think that'd be a little contrived and convenient despite the cool plot elements it would bring up, and the show was teetering on being ridiculously convenient as it was, especially with the movies. In "In the Beginning," all the characters are so intertwined, and for no real reason, it kinda ruined the experience for me.

The movies were pretty bad and a lot of the time I like to pretend they don't exist.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Milky Moor posted:

I've always wanted to go back and see if Sheridan gives any indication of having worked with G'Kar or Franklin before.

I don't think there's any outright "Oh hi I've never met you before" discussion (maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so), but B5 always liked to point out multiple times any characters who knew eachother

"HEY HEY WE THOUGHT OF BACKSTORY LOOK"

This is goofy nitpicking by the way, I still love the series as a whole. I have much fewer problems with it as I do with, say, Battlestar Galactica.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I don't really care either way because it was a beautiful ending to the show, but if the points Crackpipe quoted didn't convince you, I don't know what to tell ya.

You can go around the rest of your life being mad they blew up your imaginary space station for all i care :v:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Happy to see this thread risen from the dead, I love reading discussion about this show.

A friend of mine and I are slowly drudging through the series whenever he and i can get to a machine with netflix at the same time (i have a Roku so we're using that as much as possible.)

We're only 3-4 episodes in, and I was worried about showing him Soul Hunter. I warned him that it was pretty bad. Afterwards though he said "That was not nearly as bad as some of the worse episodes on Galactica (Scar) or Farscape."

I don't think I've completely sold him on the show yet, but maybe once we get to the first Babylon 4 episode he'll start to like it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Doctor Zero posted:

Let's see what he thinks of TKO. :barf:

That's actually the other one I was worried about. If nothing else, the episode is hilarious in its weird scifi-almost-racism (that trainer character just confuses the hell out of me)

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 12, 2011

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Habibi posted:

'Believers,' which is a TNG-esque morality play.

I liked Believers :(

The ending was pretty excellent.

I guess Franklin's a pretty polarizing character too - I liked him, but I've seen a few people saying they flat out hated his character. I thought he got to do some cool stuff and his episodes were usually interesting.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
My friend and I have been slowly working our way through babylon 5, and we just went through episodes 4, 5 and 6 of season 1. The ending scenes of all three episodes are loving amazing and I think they just sold him on the show.

Oh hey they're all on youtube (only the last one is even very slightly spoilerish but it's so close to the beginning of the series that it doesn't matter):

Sinclair on what should be important to humanity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbnRbTi5XA
Sinclair on Earth Religion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXPaGCRngWw
The first of G'Kar's incredible speeches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZW8Deq8vE

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

NecronSchmecron posted:

Just saw the last episode of B5. It's as if the last three episodes could have been finales. THAT'S how you wrap up a series.

Is Crusade worth a shot? :ohdear:

I think it would have been had it been allowed to continue for longer. Someone (possibly in this thread) linked me a thing where JMS laid out the plan for the show and it would have involved the ship/captain being framed for some poo poo, basically turning the whole premise on its head and making the characters fugitives from Earth.

I don't know why JMS insists that his shows start off so slowly. I understand that when the show is tipped on its head (b5's earth plot) it's amazing, but the basic plot needed to be executed better.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
This sweater:

Oh man. Oh man oh man.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

white quilt posted:

:black101: "GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY" :black101: Sheridan is amazing .

I love that poo poo. Lorien was like "your next words will decide how this goes," and then Sheridan just starts yelling at them.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Physically impossible Mr. Garibaldi. But you're welcome to try."

Evil Chekov is such a great character.

Any time. Any where. :black101:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ivonova

Ivanova :eng101:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, I believe it was. At least, it was supposed to be really, really ridiculous.

In that case it's the most convincing moment in the series

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Grand Fromage posted:

The advantage of having the entire show outlined ahead of time and ten years to monkey with it while you try to get it made. I don't think there's any show that fits together the way B5 does. Maybe The Wire but that's not the same kind of plot.

Edit: The pilot has some weird poo poo I guess. Like Kosh being some sort of big-headed plastic thing? I've never rewatched it so I only vaguely remember.

I watched it recently with a friend, and Kosh is pretty much the same, except that he didn't seem like an ancient, god-like being, what with getting poisoned so easily.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Pick posted:

If you didn't cry at the last episode, you're dead inside. It's the saddest episode of any show I've ever seen. The worst thing is it's not sad because everyone failed, traditional Greek tragedy style. It was just about the best outcome they could have expected, and it's still loving sad.

It's Sunday, Delenn. I'm going for a drive.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing is did Valen create the custom of having the guns opened as a sign of respect so the war would happen?

God drat.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Lycus posted:

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of that episode in general. "Rising Star" would've been a fine season finale.

I didn't think it was that bad, but it did put Season 5 of being in a strange position where we know where the universe is going, we just aren't privy to all the little details of how B5 ends.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Polaron posted:

Sorry, but you just tripped one of my pet peeves.

Minbari. :eng101:

It definitely sounds like Mimbari sometimes when people say it, but I'm pretty sure they show the correct spelling on screen multiple times, so yeah I don't get it either.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Axiem posted:

Probably because they are unintentionally saying it that way.

Gorram it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Noxville posted:

The beard Sheridan grows in the last few episodes of season 4 looks much better on him than the goatee he has in season 5, no idea why they went for that.

Definitely a badass space beard.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

hope and vaseline posted:

drat, Sheridan's lookin good for 60.

I thought the same thing. If that's a recent picture, they must have had to use effects/makeup to make him look older for Tron Legacy.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

white quilt posted:

Hey man, later SG-1 rules. its the closest I'll ever get to more Farscape. :(

Grand Fromage posted:

I would keep watching DS9. The first few seasons are mostly Star Trek but once Sisko shaves his head it's total badass from then on.

Seconding both of these. Later SG-1 is just good silly fun and DS9 gets really, really good (though there are some amazing early episodes too, like Duet in season 1)

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Londo talks mentions the Xon in Season 1 during the religious ceremony episode. It was well done in my opinion.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
This page has already brought us to a very strange place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

wyoming posted:

Also it didn't help that Byron was Marcus 2.0.

No one can replace Marcus :colbert:

RIP marcus cole, followed up by a no-charm punk.

• Locked thread