Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I'm arriving in Barcelona on Thursday as stop one on a year long backpacking trip and wanted to get some tips. I've booked my first night at a hostel for 10 euros but it looks like most cheap places are fully booked. My budget is about $30 a day so I was hoping to find more cheap places, will I be SOL?

What kind of transportation is cheapest in Spain? I don't mind night buses or uncomfortable rides at all. I figure if I can't find a place to stay cheap in Barcelona for the next night that I'll have to head towards Pamplona and hope to find a cheap place there.

Any recommendations for having fun and seeing the sights in Spain on a tiny budget? Where to eat, what to see, where to stay etc. I was planning on going along the northern coast towards Portugal and then down to Morocco to start. Basically going with no plan or idea of what to do or how to live but I figure I should at least nail down the first week.

Landsknecht posted:

depends where you are, but that's more than enough, i've done it on 25 euros per day, and that included a fair amount of booze

Tell me all your secrets! Please ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Dog Blogs Man posted:

You'll find it a lot harder than in winter, that's for sure. When I was travelling around Europe earlier this year, most hostels were nearly empty (except amsterdam, london etc). I pretended to make a booking at some of the same empty hostels, and they are already booked out for August. Book a week or more in advance if you actually know where you are going, at least for the next month or 2. And a whole year, wow. Have fun!
And by the way, in most countries it will cost a lot more than 10 euros, if you go to amsterdam or berlin or places like that it will probably be double that, at least. My money saving tip is go east to places like poland, slovakia etc.

Yeah that's what I seem to be finding. I was just planning on doing Spain>Portugal> Morocco>Czech Republic>Austria>Greece in 2 months and then on to Turkey and Egpyt where it'll be cheaper. Think that'll work? Hopefully couchsurfing will keep me afloat :sweatdrop: