Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
How bad of an idea is it to go travel around touristy places (like Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague) in July with no accommodation booked? Really want to just wing and not have to prebook accommodation and decide how long I want to spend it certain areas but I've heard it's not a good idea cause July is really the peak of peak season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
Speaking of SIM cards, is there a nicer solution than buying a new SIM in each country if I'm travelling to multiple countries? It's not the end of the world if not, but it would be nice to have mobile data to use with google maps and the like while travelling around.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Am I trying to fit in too much if I want to go Amsterdam - Gent - Cologne - Berlin - Prague - Munich - Berne - Paris in 25 days? It gives me about 3 days in each place and I've tried to keep distances between the places short so travel doesn't take up too much time.

Or is there a better way to do it? I fly into Amsterdam and out of Paris and have my heart set on going to Gent, Berlin and Berne but am happy to change the other destinations.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Thanks guys, I've changed it around and am now thinking of doing Amsterdam (4 nights) -> Berlin (6 nights) -> Prague (4 nights) -> Bern (5 nights) -> Nice (3 nights) -> Paris (3 nights). I realise I could/should probably cut out Nice in favour of more time in Paris but I'd like to mix it up a bit with not so many big cities. Does that seem a bit more reasonable?

Octy posted:

Yes. You're going to want to spend at least a week each in Paris and Berlin and a bit less in Munich. What exactly is it you want to see in Ghent and Bern, though? They're not exactly popular tourist destinations (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Saladman posted:

Bern is nice but all the sights can be seen in about four hours unless you really want to see the Paul Klee museum as well, in which case you need like 6 hours. It's also really far out of the way from any of your other cities on the itinerary. I would definitely leave it out unless you know someone you're visiting there.

When I say Bern I really mean the Bernese highlands, these are a popular spot right? I didn't just make it up? From my research it seemed to be the best place to base yourself for exploring the alps. I'm planning on staying in Interlaken and doing things like hiking around the mountains, taking the Jungfraujoch train and taking other day trips to other mountains and stuff. Basically I just really want to have a Swiss alps experience, it just looks too drat pretty and is probably the part of the trip I'm looking forward to the most. 5 nights isn't too long for it is it? Any more suggestions for this area would be cool too!

Ghent just appealed to me as a quaint little town that you could bike around, I'll have to do it next time though!

Weatherproof fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 20, 2013

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

PlantHead posted:

Bring your swimming trunks as well as your hiking boots and go for a swim at Interlaken in the lake, also jump in the river and float through the city of Bern, preferably in a rubber ring.
There is a lot to see in Switzerland as long as you don't just stay in Bern, Bern is pretty but a bit dull. Around Thun and Interlaken is some great hiking and some stunning scenery but pretty much anywhere in the the Alps will be beautiful.
The towns along the Aare - Solothurn, Biel, Aarburg (huge castle) are pretty and worth some time if you are near them.
What are you interested in seeing?

Sounds great! Looks like all those places are doable as a day trip from Interlaken which is awesome! I could combine the city of Bern with one of them too as a daytrip I imagine?

It might be kinda shallow of me but to be honest the main reason I want to go to Switzerland is to explore the alps. I'm keen to see anything else in the area that's worth seeing (the city of Bern actually does look pretty cool!) but the priority is definitely exploring the alps - I wasn't really planning on spending much time in Bern (or any other city). :) My plan was to be based out of Interlaken and then just go on day hikes in the surrounding areas. Will this work or is there a better place to base myself out of? Are the any routes you can do in under a day that you'd recommend in the area?