Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Sai posted:

Fun things to do in Amsterdam that are a little of the beaten path but not very obscure or anything

Adding to this: Winkel, just off the Prinsengracht in the Jordaan, is a lovely café that has a delicious apple cake, and is right by the historic Noorderkerk. A walk in the Jordaan is a must to really get a 'feel' for Amsterdam, with lots of beautiful houses and cool little second-hand clothing / book stores. Also seconding the Negen Straatjes, which are in the same general area and make for a nice wander.

My favourite museum is the Kattenkabinet, simply because it's so ridiculous: it was founded by an old man after the death of his cat, and is dedicated to an eclectic collection of cat-related artifacts. Amsterdam has a lot of really interesting museums, many of which are very small (like the one-room Tulip Museum on the Prinsengracht).

I only will be living here two more weeks before I move to Canada and I'm so sad to leave this beautiful city!

edit: oh yes, and while the Vondelpark is definitely a must-see, don't neglect other green areas of Amsterdam, like the Westerpark, which contains the Westergasfabriek culture park, complete with art-house cinema, fashion studio, and a couple of really lovely cafés. If you have kids, the kinderboerderij, a little 'farm experience' for children there, is a lot of fun. (Even if you don't have kids, you may still want to go look at the sheep and the ponies.)

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU