Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Laopooh posted:

Yeah that's what I seem to be finding. I was just planning on doing Spain>Portugal> Morocco>Czech Republic>Austria>Greece in 2 months and then on to Turkey and Egpyt where it'll be cheaper. Think that'll work? Hopefully couchsurfing will keep me afloat :sweatdrop:
Couchsurfing is the same as hostels in summer, it can be a lot harder to find somewhere because not only are a lot more people travelling but more local hosts are travelling or away from uni back with their family etc. That said the weekly meets, camps and events are much bigger and great fun so even if you don't get a couch try to get to them whereever you are.

I would really recommend Morocco but if you can manage it DON'T go during Ramadan (1-29 August this year). I spent three weeks there during Ramadan last year and because they can't eat or smoke during daylight hours by mid-afternoon everyone (the entire population) is really cranky. Avoid Tangier and (although I haven't been personally I've been told) Casablanca. In Fez it's better to stay outside of the medina if you can or you'll go mad after a few days. Morocco is the only place I relied on my guidebook for hostel recommendations because some of them are really, really awful.

Buses are cheaper in Spain, trains in Portugal. The buses in Turkey are the best you'll ever travel on.

More general suggestions for budget travel:
If you're ever stuck trying to work out a train trip and can't get a local English-speaker, the German train services website (db.de) has all of the trains (in English!) for most of the countries in Europe (but no prices outside of Germany). Write down the options you can get (train number, time, date, number of seats) and the local language for "How much [student]?" and give it to the person in the ticket booth and get them to write out your prices. Point to the one you want.

Someone's already mentioned New World Europe guides, they are in a lot of major cities and are really good. They do free tours where you tip at the end. The Berlin one is fantastic.

Eating out of supermarkets is the cheapest. Places that have deli counters will slice you one piece of cheese or meat, split a tomato or bag of lettuce with a friend and buy a couple of bread rolls. Curry paste and rice travel well, all you need to add is coconut milk and some veggies and if you're feeling flush some meat. You also look like a pro in the hostel kitchen because everyone else is just doing basic pasta.

International buses are sometime easier than cheap flights because they usually go to and from the centre of town not the further out airports that Ryanair etc use. Eurolines is the go to for that but each country has it's own operator under the Eurolines banner and some of the websites are really hit and miss. If you do go Ryanair or similar and are over your baggage limit just repack your bag, put on as many clothes as you can and put your books in your pockets etc.

As often as possible get to an internet cafe and back up your photos to CD/DVD and keep the discs in a different bag to your camera or mail them home. Losing a camera can mean losing all your pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Youth discounts in Europe are for under 26 y/olds so there's one more reason to go now.