Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
I'm about 5 weeks from DLPTing from Farsi and had a question about FLP pay. If I scored a 2-2 on the mock will I get back pay when I graduate Good-Fellow? (Army)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensitive Thug
Aug 22, 2007

I can't answer your question but for the Airmen at DLI, if you do well enough on your mock DLPT you'll start getting your FLPP pay about a month after you take your mock.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Spockly posted:

I'm about 5 weeks from DLPTing from Farsi and had a question about FLP pay. If I scored a 2-2 on the mock will I get back pay when I graduate Good-Fellow? (Army)

In the past, no. There was a regulation change, however, when I started my Chinese program. for my "first look" DLPT, I received a 2/2 and was told I would start collecting FLP. Of course, being Army, I only began seeing it on my LES about 2 months ago. I graduated in November of 2010, took my first look around August of 2010, and didn't collect FLP until nearly 5 months AFTER my graduation date.

Regular Army may be different, but in the 'Guard, we can collect FLP from our first look if the score is at least a 2/2. Just don't expect to see it for a long time.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The Fort Ord wikipedia says that its been used in the past for Mythbusters episodes. :iiam:

It says they use it for testing that involves driving cars. I'm near positive that was where they filmed that episode. Myth confirmed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's that "first look" about? They let you take the DLPT before you take the DLPT now?

So...did that increase the Korean school's graduation rate, or did it just make them waste less time on the people they flunk?

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
You basically take the DLPT twice, once a little over half way through and obviously one at the end. Think the goal is a 1+ 1+ on the first go.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone ever get 3s on the first go and just graduate on the spot?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Godmachine posted:

Regular Army may be different, but in the 'Guard, we can collect FLP from our first look if the score is at least a 2/2. Just don't expect to see it for a long time.

For active army soldiers, eligibility begins upon graduation of AIT, award of an MOS, and signing in to their first permanent duty station. AR 11-6 doesn't allow for back payment to IET soldiers.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Hey, is there a uniform store on DLI, and if so does it happen to sell Navy stuff? I'm tired of the uniform store on NPS being lovely and need to get some stuff before I transfer and actually have to wear a uniform again.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

ManMythLegend posted:

Hey, is there a uniform store on DLI, and if so does it happen to sell Navy stuff? I'm tired of the uniform store on NPS being lovely and need to get some stuff before I transfer and actually have to wear a uniform again.

This is from 3 years ago so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure the ps on post sold uniforms for all services.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
They have a very limited amount of navy items available. The NEX unfortunately has more.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Where is it on base? I'm not very familiar with the layout.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nevermind, I found it. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know the PX had an anime store. Fuckin LOL.

MooMoo
Jul 29, 2009
THAT'S ABSURD.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

ManMythLegend posted:

Nevermind, I found it. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know the PX had an anime store. Fuckin LOL.

Hahaha how is that even shocking? What are you at NPS for?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

TheUnhorse posted:

Hahaha how is that even shocking? What are you at NPS for?

Systems Engineering.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

This is like the best idea since a Class-6 with a drive-through.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Article up at Danger Room on Linguists in the Army and wasted skills:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/08/lost-in-translation-how-the-army-wastes-linguists-like-me/

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

hostile apostle posted:

Article up at Danger Room on Linguists in the Army and wasted skills:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/08/lost-in-translation-how-the-army-wastes-linguists-like-me/

Great article. I have been struggling for two years now to get army force structure changed by pulling the 35Ps out of the BCTs and relocating them to positions where they can use their language. The proposed IROCs seem like a logical location, but I am hamstringed by senior GSs in TRADOC that are trying to build force structure based on how they remember SIGINT in the '80s. So far all I've managed to do is stonewall their attempts to get approval for force structure based on obsolete doctrine.

This article just underscores why the hell I'm busting my rear end to make this happen.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You know GreenMeat I think that you might well be my military servicemember hero. Not only do you seem to be dedicated to the idea of 'trying to get something decent done,' but you seem from your posts to actually in a position where that might happen.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Well, I'm giving it my best shot. The new SecDef is all about language and cultural expertise, and the concept that a brigade of prevention is worth a corps of cure will hopefully take root. The idea of multifunction brigade combat teams involved in partner-building enterprises is a bold step in the right direction. Now I just have to keep pounding on the force design fuckers until they realize where linguists (not just 35Ps, but also 09Ls) belong in order to be fully effective.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GreenMeat posted:

Well, I'm giving it my best shot. The new SecDef is all about language and cultural expertise, and the concept that a brigade of prevention is worth a corps of cure will hopefully take root. The idea of multifunction brigade combat teams involved in partner-building enterprises is a bold step in the right direction. Now I just have to keep pounding on the force design fuckers until they realize where linguists (not just 35Ps, but also 09Ls) belong in order to be fully effective.

I want inside the heads of these people. Seriously, I want to know what kind of Lovecraftian mental state allows them to do anything at all other than look at a Farsi linguist in Korea and say 'this is just loving dumb, who is responsible for this and why isn't it fixed yesterday'? Help me out here what is there in the world that can possibly over ride common sense that strongly?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SumYungGui posted:

I want inside the heads of these people. Seriously, I want to know what kind of Lovecraftian mental state allows them to do anything at all other than look at a Farsi linguist in Korea and say 'this is just loving dumb, who is responsible for this and why isn't it fixed yesterday'? Help me out here what is there in the world that can possibly over ride common sense that strongly?

Not sure if there are currently any Farsi linguists in Korea, but there are plenty of Korean linguists in Iraq/Afghanistan. And Chinese, and Russian, and Spanish...etc. It's all about warm bodies. My MOS is way understrength, so it's hard enough to fill slots period, let alone w/ the right linguist. That's why so many of us are now expert 35Ns and crappy linguists.

When the IROCs come on line, they'll be an ideal place to put 35Ps, lining up their languages w/ the IROC's regional focus. At that echelon they'll still be available to be task organized by div HQ down to the BCT level if they need boots-on-the-ground linguists for LLVI or something, but we can make sure the right linguist fills the slot for whatever mission the unit's slated rather than the raffle system we've got going now.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

ManMythLegend posted:

Pretty sure the guy who first put this as a suggestion was this skinny dude with glasses who got chaptered for failure to adapt after he was reduced to tears several times during Bravo Co. inspections.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 26, 2011

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Are there civilian students at DLI? I'm an NPS employee and my supervisor wants me to go either there or MIIS (paid for by research funds), figured staying federal would make sense.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GreenMeat posted:

Not sure if there are currently any Farsi linguists in Korea, but there are plenty of Korean linguists in Iraq/Afghanistan. And Chinese, and Russian, and Spanish...etc. It's all about warm bodies. My MOS is way understrength, so it's hard enough to fill slots period, let alone w/ the right linguist. That's why so many of us are now expert 35Ns and crappy linguists.

When the IROCs come on line, they'll be an ideal place to put 35Ps, lining up their languages w/ the IROC's regional focus. At that echelon they'll still be available to be task organized by div HQ down to the BCT level if they need boots-on-the-ground linguists for LLVI or something, but we can make sure the right linguist fills the slot for whatever mission the unit's slated rather than the raffle system we've got going now.

You apparently work with the guys who are making the decisions to put Korean linguists in Afghhanistan. What are their minds like? I'm curious exactly how they manage to convince themselves it's anything remotely close to a good idea.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SumYungGui posted:

You apparently work with the guys who are making the decisions to put Korean linguists in Afghhanistan. What are their minds like? I'm curious exactly how they manage to convince themselves it's anything remotely close to a good idea.

No, that'd be HRC; they do assignments. And like I said, it's a matter of filling billets in units slated to deploy. They'd rather have a troop with the wrong language than an empty slot. Warm bodies.

Sky Pilot
Feb 15, 2011
I've heard of linguists being sent to nonsensical places in the Army and Marines. What about the Air Force? I'm a 1N3 studying Korean here, and pretty much everything I've heard points to me going straight to Korea.

Also yes, the fact that we have a comic book store at the PX pretty much sums DLI up.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Sky Pilot posted:

I've heard of linguists being sent to nonsensical places in the Army and Marines. What about the Air Force?

Believe it or not EVERYONE who deploys is in need of linguists.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #76
Captain “Digger” Boomerang

"The Golden Glider wasn’t th
I graduated a year ago today, hoping to head back to DLI after this tour is up to teach.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
You guys are scaring me. Future AF 1N3 here. Got a 107 on my DLAB. Hoping to get Chinese just because it seems like the most useful language. Leave for basic in December(FML). What time will classes start for me? anyone know?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

AchmedTheSnake posted:

You guys are scaring me. Future AF 1N3 here. Got a 107 on my DLAB. Hoping to get Chinese just because it seems like the most useful language. Leave for basic in December(FML). What time will classes start for me? anyone know?

Plan ~3 months for basic, and then anywhere from 1-6 months waiting on a class (though it's probably closer to 1-2 months in most normal cases). Also, no matter what any idiot tells you, you CAN switch languages with someone if both languages are within your and the other party's DLAB score (and a lot of people are unjustly scared of Chinese).

I think I got a 100-something (I really don't remember) and did Korean so you'd probably be good taking just about any language, but expect either Korean, Arabic, or Chinese.

Also, for the love of god don't let your branch of service define you-- seriously, people from every service do it and they are by far the ones who see the least amount of social interaction. Just remember that you all are literally doing the same job (when you do your actual job) and no one cares how long your basic was, or if you're a marine or an armydude or a navything. Just go there, learn the language, and seriously, this last part is important: hook up with as many passable-to-hot chicks as you can.

E: I guess you could be a girl, so let me modify the last part: hook up with dudes you will likely never see again, don't get married, and don't get herpes-simplex-anything.

e2:

jerman999 posted:

Are there civilian students at DLI? I'm an NPS employee and my supervisor wants me to go either there or MIIS (paid for by research funds), figured staying federal would make sense.

No one answered you, but yes, civilians can train at DLI. We had a couple of them in my class-- however, all were from 3-letter agencies, so you'll probably end up at MIIS.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 6, 2011

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For waiting on a class, how does that work? Would I get put up at DLI or something of the sort? I can't imagine they'd send me home immediately after BMT. I kind of assumed that I would be going straight in with no gap.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Professor Bling posted:

For waiting on a class, how does that work? Would I get put up at DLI or something of the sort? I can't imagine they'd send me home immediately after BMT. I kind of assumed that I would be going straight in with no gap.

What branch? I'm assuming Air Force, since you called it BMT.

If you're in the Air Force, you get put up at DLI. Then you get put on casuals. CQ is pretty choice, IMO.

You could sit there waiting for months. You could end up waiting AFTER your school for months, too. One guy was on casuals for, IIRC, over a year after graduating. Dude made SrA at DLI, and he was there for Spanish.

Schneider
Mar 26, 2003

Semper Fidelis :patriot:
was recently aboard DLI, shocked at the amount of fat servicepeople walking around while simultaneously attempting to act gangster. overheard boot marines talking about 4chan and reddit. died a bit inside. facebook/4chan/reddit generation goes to war. it is terrifying please get the gently caress out of my corps thank you.

Stevia Prefontane
Feb 13, 2008

Save Russian Jews posted:

Also, for the love of god don't let your branch of service define you-- seriously, people from every service do it and they are by far the ones who see the least amount of social interaction. Just remember that you all are literally doing the same job (when you do your actual job) and no one cares how long your basic was, or if you're a marine or an armydude or a navything.

Just want to reiterate this. I'm finishing up Chinese (3 weeks out from my OPI) and all but one of my army classmates are complete sperglords. Limiting my social interaction to solely them would have made life here unbearable. The navy guys in my class; however, have been fun as hell to hang out with and have made my time here actually quite memorable.

edit: P.S. oh yeah, be sure to grab your AA degree while you're at it and stay out of the mucky duck, etc. etc...

Stevia Prefontane fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 13, 2011

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Going to be arriving at DLI on the 17th. Woo and yay.

Cato
Sep 24, 2004

The Mad Beumber
Quick question -

I'm an HM2 who happens to be fluent in Russian (born there, my parents moved to the States when I was two). I'm currently looking at commissioning options, and while IPPC and STA-21 for MD are my two primary choices, I'm not against a career in intelligence as long as I can put my Russian to use. What are my options, and who should I talk to?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I arrived here at DLI on the 19th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

I arrived here at DLI on the 19th.

As your proponent life cycle manager, let me welcome you to the beginning of your transition from 11B to 35P, a change which I myself undertook many years ago. If you have any questions regarding just what the gently caress you're getting yourself into, hit me up and I'll be happy to help.

• Locked thread