Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
It's kinda humiliating to get punted to a CAT IV language and then sit there wondering if you've always the knack to learn Chinese or Arabic like it was multiplication tables.

Not that I'm saying that I would have excelled in those languages, but it's nice to dream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

AlternateNu posted:

Nope....they're pretty open about it, actually. We have running jokes with the instructors about kicking the crap out of or stealing stuff from the French students. And, whenever we're successful in such endeavors, we declare we have "found our Belgium!". Though, early on some were making "Studieren Macht Frei" jokes, including an idea of making a huge sign and posting it above the "TO LARKIN" sign down the wooden walkway to the school but those didn't last very long.

All of this rules by the way.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Point Loma? I never really heard anything bad about that place. Granted, the only reason I went there was to go to the chow hall, but everyone seemed okay.

Its got that sort of 'Campus' feel to it as well as a slew of WoW/D&D players. A pretty heavy problem with drinking and Spice as well. It also has a rather high rate of A-School sweetheart-tardation with all the drama/pregnancy/cheating that comes with it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

Its got that sort of 'Campus' feel to it as well as a slew of WoW/D&D players. A pretty heavy problem with drinking and Spice as well. It also has a rather high rate of A-School sweetheart-tardation with all the drama/pregnancy/cheating that comes with it.

I wasn't aware there was an A-School there. Is it some bubblehead rate?

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I wasn't aware there was an A-School there. Is it some bubblehead rate?

STG's (Surface Sonar Techs) and MN's (Minemen).

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

STG's (Surface Sonar Techs) and MN's (Minemen).

Huh, well I'll be. Is the MN one a recent move with the closing of Ingleside?

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Huh, well I'll be. Is the MN one a recent move with the closing of Ingleside?

Yup. MN's showed up right after the New Year. They're doing their damndest to catch up with the STG's as far as NJP damage though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

Yup. MN's showed up right after the New Year. They're doing their damndest to catch up with the STG's as far as NJP damage though.

Hahaha.

You know, I don't think I've actually ever met an MN. We don't really run in the same circles.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Russian instructors at F Co were an interesting group. We had a former TASS television news anchor and a guy that looked like he came from Hollywood central casting as an evil KGB agent among others. Seriously, you could have put him in a black leather trenchcoat and sent him after George Smiley he looked so authentic.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Changed my mind about sharing that one, in case it was true.

The guy who posted the flier for D&D has a habit of talking about his games as if they were real and without prefacing what he is talking about. He will walk up to you and just launch right into it. I remember one time he came up to me and said, "So there are these bugs and my guys have to fight them and they kidnap villagers and they have little helpers that bring them water. I am a visual person and do you know what locust wings sound like? Thats all I can hear in my head right now"

I almost had a hernia from holding in my laughter.

GetHardHero fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 30, 2010

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahaha.

You know, I don't think I've actually ever met an MN. We don't really run in the same circles.

Minemen are awesome. I grew up (read: got my pin) on a sweep. It was definitely a learning experience, and certainly changed my perspective on how I viewed the mundane inter-rate bullshit that happens on ships. When I reported to my second ship, I could never understand the animosity between the OS's, BM's, GM's, and STG's, because on sweeps, there's nothing but MN's and they do all of those jobs. It's pretty amazing.

Though......the trade of with having an all male ship of 90 guys is....well, you get all the crap with having an all male ship of 90 guys. I evoke the surface fleet version of Rule 34 in regards to that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Though......the trade of with having an all male ship of 90 guys is....well, you get all the crap with having an all male ship of 90 guys. I evoke the surface fleet version of Rule 34 in regards to that.

I thought having an all male ship was great. I say "all male" to mean no enlisted women since there were a few female O's. Either way though I didn't have to deal with all of the stupid drama that having the opposite sex crammed together for 7+ months causes. It was nice.

You know after the whole "throwing out the three female officers for sleeping with enlisted guys" thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

I thought having an all male ship was great. I say "all male" to mean no enlisted women since there were a few female O's. Either way though I didn't have to deal with all of the stupid drama that having the opposite sex crammed together for 7+ months causes. It was nice.

You know after the whole "throwing out the three female officers for sleeping with enlisted guys" thing.

Nah, dude. All male is ALL MALE with a wardroom made up of 8 guys. I mean....one of our "induction requirements" was having our lone SAR swimmer trick you to look at his dick.

Hell, our 1stLT on more than one occasion would just waltz into the Admin Office (if it could be called one), and just whip his dick out while shootin' the poo poo with our YN.

Oh, and it definitely made the Shellback Ceremony a little more....uhh...interesting.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Nah, dude. All male is ALL MALE with a wardroom made up of 8 guys. I mean....one of our "induction requirements" was having our lone SAR swimmer trick you to look at his dick.

Hell, our 1stLT on more than one occasion would just waltz into the Admin Office (if it could be called one), and just whip his dick out while shootin' the poo poo with our YN.

Oh, and it definitely made the Shellback Ceremony a little more....uhh...interesting.

Look, all I'm going to say is if you haven't seen the DDRT snake then you don't have a real SWO pin.

Also, I'm still a wog... :ssh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I'd prefer this to intergender drama bullshit any day.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd prefer this to intergender drama bullshit any day.

Seconded.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ManMythLegend posted:

I wish it were as easy for all of us as it seemed to be for you

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Look, all I'm going to say is if you haven't seen the DDRT snake then you don't have a real SWO pin.

Also, I'm still a wog... :ssh:

Our OS's changed this to the DDRT cave after a while. I'm sure you can figure it out...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I think I'm standing by Indiana Jones guy at Pete's Coffee right now.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 7, 2010

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar
This thread makes me so glad they moved SF language training to Bragg.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
I must have went through DLI at a weird time because most of the Air Force people (mainly the dudes, all the chicks were whores, but what tech school girl isn't?) that I was there with were always playing on some sports team, and only got in trouble for drinking underage, breaking phase, loving some chick in their room, or oversleeping and showing up late to class. I lived in the Marine barracks for a good while though, and my roommate and I were kinda forgotten about by the Air Force. I never ran into the people that bathed once a week, or the Warcraft geeks who got home from class, and didn't get up from their seat until it was time for morning formation, and the rest of the weirdos...that pleasure came when I got to my first duty station.

The weirdest people I met were the guys who came in at age 25 or later and would not stop bitching about being on phase, living in the dorms with a bunch of kids and not being able to drink. It may not seem weird to anyone else, but I couldn't believe these assholes were crying all day about being treated like a child.

The strangest dude I met was my last roommate who was a flaming pickle kisser. What was weird was he introduced himself to me and immediately said "Don't worry...I am not attracted to you." I was a little shocked...maybe my ego was cracked a little bit as well.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 8, 2010

Stevia Prefontane
Feb 13, 2008

The CQ at 622b is often this Navy E4 that got busted down from E5 for a DUI after 4 weeks in. He is always there every morning when I go to PT wishing me a "Fantastic Workout~!!!" and is probably the single most flaming person I've seen on base.
I told a Navy classmate about him and apparently, he was seen at a huge murder lodge party sitting in another dude's lap kissing and jacking him off with astonishing fervor.

I have also seen Indiana Jones guy and openly laugh at him every chance I get.

There is a weird guy in the Combs dining hall who rocks back and forth while he eats and shoves entire ice cream cones and pies into his mouth and chews disgusting, open-mouthed bites while making starving dog noises. I know this because he is in the Army and seeks out other soldiers to sit with because "this place rubs me the wrong way" *giggles manically under breath, rocks back and forth rapidly.

I remember walking by the Navy barracks the day they masted those dozen or so dumbasses that were caught using drugs. What is wrong with this place?
All of my friends here are normal, smart people, but we are literally surrounded by sperglords on base.

Worst part, I'm only 5 months in to my Chinese course. I'm stuck here for another year.

edit: oh yeah, and the Navy flamers who can be seen at the Cannery Row Pizzeria any given Friday night, belting out Karaoke lyrics to Brittany Spears, "Toxic" without even facing the screen.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

What is the "murder lodge"?

QingLaiXiguaba
Apr 4, 2010

Milkhaver1984 posted:

edit: oh yeah, and the Navy flamers who can be seen at the Cannery Row Pizzeria any given Friday night, belting out Karaoke lyrics to Brittany Spears, "Toxic" without even facing the screen.

Last Saturday I was there for my buddies "Oohrah, you passed tagalog" send off. I recognized an airman from base, despite the large amount of eyeshadow and the socks on his arms, as well as watching a sailor serenade his sailor boyfriend, all the while said boyfriend sat in the chair rubbing himself like he was in rapture.

I OPI on Monday, DLPT 2 weeks after that, then hopefully I'm the gently caress out of here ASAP.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Milkhaver1984 posted:

The CQ at 622b is often this Navy E4 that got busted down from E5 for a DUI after 4 weeks in. He is always there every morning when I go to PT wishing me a "Fantastic Workout~!!!" and is probably the single most flaming person I've seen on base.
I told a Navy classmate about him and apparently, he was seen at a huge murder lodge party sitting in another dude's lap kissing and jacking him off with astonishing fervor.

Does this guy wear glasses and have horrible teeth and bad hygiene and does his last name start with C

Because if so ahahaha I know this fucker.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Oh god that retarded gay petty officer. He "came out" in restriction, I don't think it surprised anyone. He got that DUI on base because he went to the same loving gate over and over again asking how to get off base.

Qing do you graduate on the 29th?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

tengohemroidz posted:

I must have went through DLI at a weird time because most of the Air Force people (mainly the dudes, all the chicks were whores, but what tech school girl isn't?) that I was there with were always playing on some sports team, and only got in trouble for drinking underage, breaking phase, loving some chick in their room, or oversleeping and showing up late to class.

This is most peoples experience it's just the super weirdos that really stand out and that you never ever forget.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

Oh god that retarded gay petty officer. He "came out" in restriction, I don't think it surprised anyone. He got that DUI on base because he went to the same loving gate over and over again asking how to get off base.

This guy was my sponsor when I showed up in Texas and god drat I was loving embarrassed to be subordinate to such a sloppy, dippy guy. And the problem is he isn't a fundamentally bad person; he was a real Joe Navy kinda motherfucker and he did his job well. Matter of fact he got sent back to DLI for the advanced Spanish program; he's got a knack for the language.

It was sad but hilarious at the same time to hear that him, of all people, got a DUI in what is arguably the worst place in the world for a sailor to get a DUI. Can't imagine him drunk. Don't even wanna try.

edit: Oh! Oh! For a while this guy had to give me rides to work, because I hadn't gotten my bonus yet so I couldn't buy my car.

This fucker had goddamn oyster shells among other disgusting detritus on his car floor.

Needless to say I made friends with other sailors pretty quick and got rides from them instead.

Stevia Prefontane
Feb 13, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

What is the "murder lodge"?

It's the Travel Lodge motel on Munras ave. So named because of its proximity to the base and inexorable fate as the hookup palace between sweaty enlisted men and their fat, willing bar-fly floozies.

and has anyone else noticed how many of the seagulls in this town use crosswalks?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When the news story about the missing Afghanis came on this morning I for a moment thought one of your fine peers murdered or raped somebody.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

When the news story about the missing Afghanis came on this morning I for a moment thought one of your fine peers murdered or raped somebody.

Nah, most of them aren't competent enough to pull something like that off.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm stationed at DLI right now, did my first enlistment as a combat engineer, now becoming a 2600. It's true about the internet nerds here: I was at the base gym back in April, it was sexual assault awareness month so there were "SAA"-themed posters plastered all over the place. One of them was a giant mudkip and it said something along the lines of "sexual assault is serious business. /b/ lieks mudkipz". It made me rage a little. It seems like every other stupid boot here either plays WOW or LARPs secretly, or whatever else. I guess that's still not as bad as starting inter-service marriages at their ripe old age of ~18. I don't know how they even find time for all this poo poo, considering how difficult the course is (regardless of language). It's a whole different world out here, I swear, especially compared to being in a line company.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The newscaster just started saying something about the Defense Language Institute and I spun around to see what was going on. I hate Fox so much.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
How about we don't send kids there fresh outta highschool and instead let them mature, like fine wine, in another duty station, and after they've proven they have the ability to not be reprehensible fuckups, THEN send them for language training?

I mean it seemed to me that all he people there who spent any time anywhere out of their hometown weren't loving bonkers.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

hammeredspace posted:

How about we don't send kids there fresh outta highschool and instead let them mature, like fine wine, in another duty station, and after they've proven they have the ability to not be reprehensible fuckups, THEN send them for language training?

That's kind of where we're going with the 35M MOS. Trying to, anyway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Milkhaver1984 posted:

It's the Travel Lodge motel on Munras ave. So named because of its proximity to the base and inexorable fate as the hookup palace between sweaty enlisted men and their fat, willing bar-fly floozies.

Thank you. I am never going to be able to not think of this when I drive by that place now.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Who am I kidding a godamn Army kid with six months at Fort Fuckup is going to be just as horrible if not moreso when he gets to Monterrey.

Every linguist is a horrible stupid monster guys; sorry.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
This thread is making me afraid to even get a job that requires DLI. :(

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
It's not all bad! You'll learn a language and you'll meet new people and you'll see beautiful California and hlgalghalhgalhgalFART

The truth is that DLI is, by and large, the easiest and comfiest station you can get, at least on the Navy side, and if you have any goddamn sense about you, you'll avoid the crazies and visit all the cool places in and out of state and have a genuine experience.

Unless you already live in the area in which case uuuuuggghhhhhhhhh gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

themarine posted:

I'm stationed at DLI right now, did my first enlistment as a combat engineer, now becoming a 2600. It's true about the internet nerds here: I was at the base gym back in April, it was sexual assault awareness month so there were "SAA"-themed posters plastered all over the place. One of them was a giant mudkip and it said something along the lines of "sexual assault is serious business. /b/ lieks mudkipz". It made me rage a little. It seems like every other stupid boot here either plays WOW or LARPs secretly, or whatever else. I guess that's still not as bad as starting inter-service marriages at their ripe old age of ~18. I don't know how they even find time for all this poo poo, considering how difficult the course is (regardless of language). It's a whole different world out here, I swear, especially compared to being in a line company.

Jesus christ. What is it about DLI that attracts the sperglords, do you guys think?

• Locked thread