Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

The Betrayer posted:

...the Differences in Management within DLIFLC Headquarters, every single language department.

This sounds like a PhD thesis. Downside (upside?) of having native speakers teach every language I guess. Sitting for an hour or two in the cubicle spaces of the Euro teachers is a study in cultural differences on the continent, and that's only a few European languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

If you like Mexican and have a car the lunch counter at Mi Tierra (a grocery store in Seaside) is great and really cheap.

If you dig Korean food there is the one place on Lighthouse, but I liked Oriental Express (again, in Seaside) much better. Don't recommend this one for lunch because they are a little slow and you will be late to class, but the food is phenomenal and they have karaoke sometimes if that's your thing.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

TheUnhorse posted:

Having been to nearly all of them, I've found the restaurants in PG are pretty disappointing and really bland/watered down. The german bakery on the way into downtown is amazing though. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pavels-backerei-pacific-grove-2) Seaside is pretty much the poo poo for most restaurants although there are a few good spots in downtown Monterey. If you dig hole-in-the-wall Mexican and go during the daytime, Salinas is full of good poo poo.

I lived in PG, seconding this: especially the part about Pavel's. Although I do like Mando's. And if you want go waaaay out there the Point Pinos Grill can be good although it's pricier than what I normally like(check their website for when they're open).

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

All branches have them but they work a little differently. Army and Navy pull guys out of their previous career tracks and make them a full-time FAO. Air Force and Marines are FAO for a while, then go back to a regular career. In all services you can begin the screening/selection process as a senior O-3. A lot of them put on O-4 while at DLI or NPS (most do both back to back).*

There are also a poo poo-ton of personnel exchange program billets that need to be filled, and most of them require a stint at DLI. Attaches, Olmsted scholars, foreign military sales, filling gaps between orders, SOCOM sends officers through...there's really a whole lot of different ways for officers to end up there.

*Funny thing going to NPS and DLI one after the other. Most folks do DLI first now, because depending on the language and degree it is often the more difficult program. It definitely requires more of a time commitment because there's really no other way to learn a language than to put in the time. There was a rash of officers getting into trouble because they were bombing at DLI. There's also the fact that you get treated like a senior officer AND a college student at NPS, and a weird mix of a JO and IET at DLI. It is culturally quite the shift.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 6, 2012

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

tengohemroidz posted:

I knew that O's got the royal treatment at DLI. Our class leader, a Major in my Spanish class couldn't get through his introductions after 24 weeks without stuttering and butchering his speech, yet he came out of there with a 2 in speaking.

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as 'the royal treatment' in the OPI. That poo poo is not really a good test of your language skills so much as a personality/people skills test disguised as a language test. Also you can prep for it pretty drat easily and if you steer the conversations right there's not much in the way of surprises. It's also entirely likely that he just had a good day. I've seen the other way around where a Major in my class who was entirely competent squeaked by with his 1+ because he froze on one of the questions and started talking about some subject he had never practiced before, had no vocab for, etc.

tengohemroidz posted:

That meant back to seventh hour which meant I might as well just phone it in and quit because that's worse than failing.

Your comment there reminds me of the folks who acted like 7th hour was some kind of horrific punishment. That was something I never really understood. I voluntarily went to every 7th hour (minus a few Fridays) because it a) made me better in my language and/or b) let me do homework without the distractions of home/friends. It helped that I really liked my teaching team and they encouraged us to do extra listening and speaking whenever possible. Part of it was that they are of course graded based on our grades, but we always had the feeling that they genuinely cared about how well we were doing and were pleased when we could communicate with them in their native language without help.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

Oddly, French is actually not that useful in Africa.

Do you know something from personal experience that backs that up? Francophone Africa is covers a poo poo ton of Africa (and definitely all the hot spots)

Edit: and the French have been doing okay speaking French there for a few decades

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

I guess it depends on your job and who you're talking to.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

In the navy thread I forgot to mention cannery row brewing company. Three words for you: triple truffle fries. Also pretty good beers. Otherwise stay off cannery row. If you want Mexican drive the seven minutes into salinas spin around randomly and you'll find better Mexican than anything in Monterey or pacific grove.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

It's one of the cheapest degrees you'll ever get. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

That'll show him for not teaching to the dlpt

• Locked thread