Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Glad to see nothing's changed.

My favorite DLI sperg was this female LCpl in Arabic who ended up being put on simultaneous hygiene/suicide watch. Given that only another female could be the watcher, it was 24-7, and we only had like 8 females in Casuals Platoon, she did not endear herself to those 8 who had to shepherd her through the day making sure she put on deodorant, washed her sheets, and didn't slit her wrists.

She was a sickbay commando as well, got all the classic jokes about having a laminated medical chit so you could use a dry-erase marker on it. She had a no-PT chit for "hip trouble" for months, and yet was miraculously cured every Friday at 1600 and would run off base in stiletto hills to meet up with her 300lb LARPer boyfriend. Then our corporal gave her a lecture on how getting laid counted as PT, and he would put her up on Malingering charges if he found out about her getting some.

Oh, and then the guys two doors down from me in the barracks (also into LARP, horror movie figurines, and pretending they were going to be Force Recon someday) were the two that tried to stab a girl to death on the beach in Oceanside. Are those guys still local legend at DLI?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

General Probe posted:

There are a lot of really weird people that get to DLI, but few of them actually make it all the way through training and get their clearance. That was my experience at least.
Is this beach stabbing incident pre 2005/2006 or later? And as another anecdote the whole meth lab thing got busted the weekend I arrived there, good times here's hoping I can get back there.

Took place the night of the USMC Birthday Ball in 2000, but they weren't picked up until early 2001.

Interestingly enough, the best articles about it are filed on The Escapist, a "roleplaying advocacy" site. But here's some quotes from the news:

quote:

Marine Lance Cpl. Carson, a Russian-language student at the prestigious Defense Language Institute in Monterey, was arrested March 15 after allegedly admitting that he and Pvt. Jason Blad, 21, were responsible for the November attack that nearly drained the life from a 20-year-old woman on the Pacific Grove Recreation Trail.

Pacific Grove police said shortly after the arrest that the young Marines apparently just wanted to kill someone, anyone, and had their sights on other targets as well. Though authorities say Carson spelled it all out in a journal found near his barracks bunk, details are being kept under wraps by a court-imposed gag order.

“Jason was very big into role-playing games,” he said. “All the time I was friends with him, he tried to get me into that type of scene. Whether it was Dungeons and Dragons or superhero-type games, Jason was always trying to get me to play them with him.

“My parents, knowing all too well what those types of games have led to, told me never to play them and not to get involved with him.”

Carson was also the "head lyricist" for a parody boy-band that did a couple shows in downtown Monterey.

Somewhere there's a good article with the gory details (and witty one-liners!) of the stabbing attack. I should go dig that ip.

• Locked thread