Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
I must have went through DLI at a weird time because most of the Air Force people (mainly the dudes, all the chicks were whores, but what tech school girl isn't?) that I was there with were always playing on some sports team, and only got in trouble for drinking underage, breaking phase, loving some chick in their room, or oversleeping and showing up late to class. I lived in the Marine barracks for a good while though, and my roommate and I were kinda forgotten about by the Air Force. I never ran into the people that bathed once a week, or the Warcraft geeks who got home from class, and didn't get up from their seat until it was time for morning formation, and the rest of the weirdos...that pleasure came when I got to my first duty station.

The weirdest people I met were the guys who came in at age 25 or later and would not stop bitching about being on phase, living in the dorms with a bunch of kids and not being able to drink. It may not seem weird to anyone else, but I couldn't believe these assholes were crying all day about being treated like a child.

The strangest dude I met was my last roommate who was a flaming pickle kisser. What was weird was he introduced himself to me and immediately said "Don't worry...I am not attracted to you." I was a little shocked...maybe my ego was cracked a little bit as well.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

...but the feeling of satisfaction on getting a L3/R3+ made up for it.

You got a 3+ at DLI? I didn't know they administered the upper level DLPT to first time students.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

General Probe posted:

Graham Central Station...:barf: There's some half decent bars around though.

The loving Scrub Pub and the Library are no more, so I have heard. Library had 10 cent beers every Thursday back in 04.

The Red Ball taxi is amazing. Utilize it. Stay the gently caress away from Grahams. That place was garbage.

GreenMeat posted:

The tap water doesn't even smell or taste as bad as it did a few years back.

Hopefully that is true...you had to chew it back in my day.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 20, 2010

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

GetHardHero posted:

I got the exact same scores and have the same feeling on the OPI.

Not to join in on this and turn it into an "oh woe is me" train, but I can attest to the fact that, at least in the Latin America schoolhouse, enlisted personnel will never come out of an OPI with more than a 2, in a basic course. Officers, however...There was an Army Major in my class who couldn't speak Spanish to save his drat life. He came out with a 2, while another Captain who was fluent in Italian got the same score. There was this smokin' hot OSI agent, who was a Captain, that got a 2+, and she was no better than the O who spoke Italian. No enlisted personnel got above a 1+.

My neighbors in San Antonio told me that was probably because in Mexico, and other countries in Latin America, military officers are viewed as untouchables, so these instructors probably see our officers the same way. Pretty lovely if you ask me. I don't know if that holds true for other languages, but just thought I would share it.

It was pretty funny to see the Major get a 1+/1+/2 though.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

The highest score that you can achieve coming out of DLI is a 3. You have to request to take a higher level DLPT to get 3+ - 5 level scores.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I was talking to my UDM today about anymore potential outside the wire/ILO deployments for us Air Force guys, and he said he's not seeing too many of them drop nowadays since JESTR and WIT were exclusive to Iraq but he brought up the Prophet mission. He asked if I had ever heard about it, and said "oh yeah...it's cool stuff!" He made it sound like it was something newer though. Maybe I'll go back on Monday and ask him more about it.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

Our graduation ceremony was interesting. The CMLI collapsed while handing out diplomas at the end. It totally killed the mood.

Wow. Navy or Air Force?

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

You're right, but for the wrong reasons. In 99% of the linguist jobs the DoD has, you could do 20 years without ever speaking or even reading a word in your target language.

I would edit your post to look like this, genius.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

My biggest gripe would be the fact that passages will often times simply be a 2 minute clip from a radio problem where somebody presents their idea on a problem and then backs up their argument, but the questions asked will be minor details mentioned in the passage, but irrelevant to the main idea.

They call these "Level 3 Passages"

If you're a level three, you should be able to get all the minor details along with the EEIs. I was a 2+/3 span ling and I think it's a solid test. I know that the Arabic V has had lots of complaints to the point where they brought back the IV for a year to look at why everyone was failing.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I remember thinking Goodfellow PT was tough simply because you did your minimum 2 minutes of pushups and situps, then ran the drat flight line for 45 minutes. One direction always had a strong headwind too. But our MTLs weren't shitheads about PT...mainly because they were all chubbos themselves...except for that one female with the big head who was loving the students.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 27, 2010

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Nothing exciting. I can't remember her name, but she was a dime store hooker. She went home with a different firedog every weekend was the legend surrounding her. I was there at Grahams one night when she was kicked out of the cages in the hip hop room because she was getting too wild. She went home with another student that night as well...It was an amazing thing to see. She was actually pretty hot too. I don't know if she ever got caught.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

hot hot. Her head was just...big. She had a body like a beach volleyball pro. What's her name? Misty May, I think.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

krylex posted:

Your recruiter is incorrect and is lazy.

You knock the DLAB out of the park and it doesn't matter if you speak a single language other than English.

Just FYI for any of you aspiring linguists...there is no official way to study for the DLAB, but a guy I know took it, got a 96, and then used this and went to a 122.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Just got my orders today to go back to DLI. I'll be there in April. I'm fuckin' hype right now! Only bad thing for me is I hear prior service personnel are monitored like sex offenders when it comes to NPS students. I'm going to be in a basic course with all the impressionable junior enlisted. I should have put in for intermediate or advanced and gone over to Fort Ord, but oh well...lesson learned.

Any goons gonna be there April of next year that wanna get together and listen to Hanson on the weekends.......?

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Score! Sounds like a plan. You guys both prior service? If so, let me know where you're looking at for off base housing. A lot of people that I know out there now are on Fort Ord, because most housing out in that area is all old 70s style poo poo.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just started the Levantine course today. Since when did prior service have to go through smart start? How many GD times do I have to prove to the Air Force that I know basic English? We went through this for DLI the first time, when we got to our first assignment we took another assessment, ALS, and now this again.

Levantine and Farsi have the highest washout rates for the two Air Force units here. The instructors are all "this will be lots of fun...no stress!" Riiiight.

These first term Airmen are having it rough nowadays. They're bunking up 3 to a room in up-the-hill dorms according to the shirt. I'm so grateful this time around that I don't have the distractions that they have to put up with.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Anyone else have their teaching team leader try to tell you when your class break is going to be? We hadn't met our MLI until yesterday, so I haven't tried to coordinate with him when the class break will be. Today our team lead walks in and tells our class that our break is coming up in October. We're three weeks into class and nobody wants to do this.

It is up to the class to decide when our break is, right? I came through as Spanish the first time so we didn't get one and the Levantine department is fubar so I am hoping this is a minor mistake on her part and not her trying to dick us over because she wants that week off.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Im in ME 2. Its weird because my roommate and another friend said their classes set the date.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

All right. I'll get with the MLI on Monday and let him know the deal. Our teaching team is back asswards. We can't get a simple answer on what score we need to get off 7th hour, there is one section that is full of dickheads who talk back to the teachers, and never do their homework. But instead of me breaking them up and moving the sections around...I get told I'm not in charge and it's not my issue...but the team lead comes to me at least three times a week to say "so and so didn't do his homework again" or "you need to help me out because so and so keeps talking back to me". Can't believe I'm saying this but I need an officer.

I do think below 75 is failing because I got a 78 on our first quiz because I wrote my numbers in English instead of Arabic and they were all marked wrong. When we went over it, I was told I passed,

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 2, 2012

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Bellum posted:

I'm not doing too hot in Russian but I'm improving. The fear of becoming an MP if I fail DLI is a terrible motivator.

Also has anyone mentioned Compagno's in this thread? Delicious subs. Weird owner.

Compagno's is a major plus. Bennett is kind of a weird dude. Someone told me he's gay...not that it has anything to do with it, but that's the word around the campfire. His shop makes a drat good reuben. I was at the Farmer's MKT on Alvarado last Tuesday and I didn't see soul food, but I wasn't looking for it. I'll check again tomorrow. That Lebanese falafel place was pretty good.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah didn't see the soul food stand/lady on Alvarado this week. Our instructors keep telling us about this restaurant called Petra in PG. I'll probably check it out this weekend.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

I'm betting with good odds that your teaching team lead has, without telling anyone, bought tickets and planned their vacation for those dates. Now they're trying to ram it down everyone else's throats because they know that you all won't say or do anything about it.

Well I asked our MLI, and he said that ME II class breaks are chosen by the chief MLI. Not sure why that is true because like I said before, my roommates class is permitted to choose their dates. Not sure why the MLI would lie to me about it either because he spent a good amount of time telling the first termers about how inconsistent and shady some of the teachers are...

And yeah, our break ends on Columbus day this October. So they tied it into a 4 day. Seems to be par for the course in ME II.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

fuckin weak.

We have unit 1 test next Friday. So far I'm doing pretty good. Dictation/transcription is the only thing hindering me. Our instructor's advice: "memorize the words". So memorize every word to be able to spell them correctly.

I've tried explaining to them that correct spelling is an unnecessary nitpick. Now if you're trying to spell hospital and you spell grilled chicken, that's one thing. But mistaking a d for an emphatic D shouldn't be a reason for the whole question to be wrong.

But I'm just whining...it's a ridiculous argument.

Anyone have any better tips on that? Repetition?

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

faddypaddy posted:

I don't know how important transcription is in dialect however, in MSA it is something like less than 10% of your overall grade. I was horrible at it all through the first semester now halfway through semester two I am getting to a passable level. I would say start listening while reading along to the script that is what I did to help make the mental connection between the sound and the spelling of the words.

We don't know anything. I've asked numerous times for a breakdown of our grades and GPAs but we never get a clear answer. All I'm concerned about is the dictation part of the test. If I somehow screw that up, it's mando 7th drat hour because I can't tell an emphatic letter from a regular one.

I gotta hunt down the MLI tomorrow.

But yeah, dialect we're dictating in MSA so I would hope it is around the same lines. Our teaching team is pretty good about making sure we're over prepared for the tests, so hopefully they're just nitpicking so we go in and nail the test.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

motoeisen posted:

Obviously everyone is different, but here are some broadly-applicable things that helped me when I was at DLI.
a) Read the question and the answers before the passage starts. Listen specifically for what they were asking about, don't try to translate everything as it goes.
b) See if you can build a couple-second buffer in your brain. If you didn't get the answer the first time through, try to run over it again in your mind... BUT!
c) If you miss something and you can't get it the second run-through, and there are other questions for this passage, accept that you probably missed it and start listening for the answers to the other questions.
d) If you don't know the right answer, try to figure out what the most Arabic/Korean/whatever culturally-appropriate answer is. This is more effective than it should be.
e) Take each question or set of questions on its own. Don't get overconfident if you think you are doing well, and don't get frustrated if you think you are doing poorly.

#1 has helped me immensely in my six years of taking the DLPT, and is also paying off so far in the Levantine basic course. Knowing exactly what you are listening for helps tremendously, especially when the answers don't always come in the same order that they are listed on the paper.

Also I would add WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU HEAR. I'm not sure if it is just my teaching team, but a lot of the students in my class are getting away with murder because they'll hear the word for blonde, or some bullshit and write it down, not saying "blonde hair" etc and they'll get a point. The guy taking the Unit 2 test sitting next to me yesterday literally had a paragraph of short answers written down and he got it. Some teaching teams may mark it wrong if you have more than one definite answer down (I would) but it never hurts to try if you are unsure of the question. But always write down everything you hear! Making small notes could help you if you are sure of one answer but not the other one or two. The notes could help in context so do that.

On the computerized tests, obviously note taking isn't a possibility so go to option D above.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

The Blessed Gods of Instructor Favortism have smiled upon me.

I knew that O's got the royal treatment at DLI. Our class leader, a Major in my Spanish class couldn't get through his introductions after 24 weeks without stuttering and butchering his speech, yet he came out of there with a 2 in speaking.

Now, I'm the class leader, as a lowly E-5, and I was abso-loving-lutely sure I bombed the FLO portion of the Unit test yesterday. We did the reading in the morning, and went over it before lunch and I had a perfect score on it. The listening portion in the afternoon, we took that and I felt pretty positive about that. So I was riding high going into the last portion, the FLO...which I hate. Started it up, and it's like every student's worst nightmare. You know the idea of the phrase, and if you were translating it into English, you know what to put down, not exactly, but you got the main idea...but what you're hearing, when you transcribe it on paper...it doesn't make sense. But I couldn't get anything else out of it. No matter if I slowed the audio way down, looped certain parts, etc...nothing made sense. This part of the test was out of 30 points, so I was absolutely sure I had butchered the entire passage and missed out on 5 or 6 points on the first phrase. That meant back to seventh hour which meant I might as well just phone it in and quit because that's worse than failing.

We did the review...somehow, some loving way...even though it clearly says "POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FOR IMPROPER SPELLING" at the very top of the page, I only missed one point because I didn't put the plural of "price".

Then for the next page I misspelled the past tense of a word. Kept an Alif in front...got credit for that. I asked the instructor about why I got the points, and she said that she took the points from the extra credit passage on the listening test and applied them to the FLO. Shady, but I'll take it. Better to be lucky than good any day of the week.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

There's a big difference between staying for 7th hour voluntarily, or being forced there. We've got three kids in my class that have a B- in speaking, yet they only worked on speaking for the first week after that test. Since then, they've been sitting in 7th hour doing listening exercises with the guys who are far behind. Two are in my section and they both have an A- and an A in listening.

I've stayed behind most days for the 15-20 minutes needed to get my homework done, like you said, free of the distractions from home. But when you're there to do what you want, and can leave early, it's not a big deal. I would be upset if I had to be there for 7th hour because of a B- on speaking, and I was never working on it.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Dirk Digglet posted:

AF goons has the 314th burned to the ground yet?

Not quite. I'm in the 311th, but a buddy I came through here with the first time around is staff there and he says it's loving chaos. They just had a staff NCO get a DUI a month ago, the AF Ball was a loving disaster...something like only 20% of available tickets were sold. They've got Farsi students failing left and right...all of this happened within a month of the new CO taking over too.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Softface posted:

And to be fair, Farsi students were dropping like flies well before the new CO. I think my class is up to around 65% attrition now.

What the poo poo happened to Farsi? Up until about 2 years ago, that was THE language. Perfect length and simple enough that if you worked, you would pass. poo poo has really changed.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Well, some things never change. Bunch of kids from the 311th got caught underage drinking this weekend. Everyone got recalled back to base Saturday and is on curfew until 0600 tomorrow and apparently their ropes are trying to stir them up with "Exodus is going to be cancelled."

I love DLI.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Nobody knows what happened. They won't tell us anything and we're on that curfew until further notice, including weekends. They called us all in and basically said you're all in trouble even though we know exactly who did it. We won't tell you what happened, but stop it anyway! Love it. Everyone probably heard the shouting through the speakers anyway. Love my retarded squadron!

I heard that fat MTL this morning yelling at you guys for lying to him, or falling out of formation or not looking up when the Commander was talking or something.

The story of the curfew goes that four sexual assaults happened at these house parties where the underage drinking occurred. That would make some sort of sense on them coming down hard on all of you as a squadron, and why they're not telling you anything more than the underage drinking, or hotel parties or whatever it was. If it were just underage drinking...poo poo, that's just another day in the military. But a sexual assault demands a noteworthy response...let alone four.

Just keep your head up, and stay positive. It will all be over soon. Make sure you keep your poo poo straight. Don't give the MTLs anymore ammunition.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Out of all those you capitalize air force???? c'mon son!!! :-*

We were taught that we are the only service worthy of capitalization. It's in our Airman's Creed...right after "I am my Nation's Sword and Shield".

Seriously...I want to meet the little guy(s) with the Napoleon Complex who has never left the country that came up with that horseshit.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Does anyone use OneNote?

My CMLI says it's the greatest language tool that none of use.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

faddypaddy posted:

You must have Kipfer for a CMLI then.

haha. You got the same speech? The two minute rundown he gave me of the benefits sounded cool, but I never did use it. It's been easier to use rapid rote.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

It's two hours of "training" this Friday and it's in PT gear. Basically we're gonna run a mile or two around the track, and then go inside and talk about how evil all of us men are, and why we shouldn't have sex with women unless it's our wife and we're intending to impregnate them.

Basically Rick Santorum got to our Wing Commander.

It's not that bad. Back at Meade my old shop isn't even getting a half day. People here just bitch too much.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 17, 2013

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Super Camper posted:

Nah it wasn't bad at all. I can't believe there were people falling out of the run though. It was like 1.5 miles at the pace of a light jog.

Yeah a few prior service guys in my element fell out. Of all the times to do that, they did it in front of both squadrons full of junior Airmen on a shuffle-stop formation run.

What did you think of the Commander's story at the end? wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

popejackson posted:

For those who have taken the ICPT 301 and 302 in Arabic...do you feel these tests are an accurate predictor of performance on the DLPT? Some teacher told me in the past that the 301 is most similar to the DLPT, which I hope is true because I just got my grades today and they were decent.

I got b minuses on both listening and reading for 301 and 302 and got 2+/2+ on the Levantine DLPT. I thought 301 was harder than 302...but I felt lost on that MSA reading DLPT. Holy poo poo...when you're on passage 4 and second guessing your answers, its not a good start.

Are you in a dialect course? Our teachers all said the same thing about the ICPTs

• Locked thread