Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokan
Jul 13, 2010
This is all pretty frightening. I didn't realize I-Branchers
(or at least the students) were an even more perverse subset
of the already loopy CT field. And to think the majority of
the culprits in this thread are my Devil Dogs.

*shakes head*

I arrived onto this site only after doing a search on related
terms. Interesting place, to say the least.

I'm glad to hear those others living off-base have it easier
as far as tolerating those types. We (E-4 and up) only have
to call in for muster most days, right?

I'll be hitting up CIDD in 2-3 weeks. Any tips from current
or past fleet returnees w/regards to the schooling environment,
please send one by here or in the mailbox. I'll be coasting
here until arrival to see what other actionable intel I can
gleam from you 'goons'.

~ Doc

Tokan fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010
Unless something has changed, that would be a fact-based belief.

Synthetic cannabinoids, the bane of military drug testing.

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

Slippery posted:

(I'm not saying you're doing it or anything like that, just that I always try to convince my guys that it is testable and I just know some of them think I'm BSing them and I'd hate to see them be positive and get booted)

They shouldn't have to be in the grey area about it. So many cases would be nonexistent (esp. for E-3 and below) if SECNAV made it clear that testing was available for it vs. infusing a false bravado in potential users about its testability.

I still raise the BS flag on this one; there's no real accountability to the 'rumor' until SECNAV posts an official statement on the testability instead of ducking and weaving direct questions regarding it. There are two recent accounts (May and June) of discharges from my last command wherein both had succumbed to the 'CO sends the results to UCLA' rumor. Turns out neither had popped positive, but there had been statements from a few whistleblowers. After drilling it in their heads for a couple weeks that they were doomed, they both gave admissions and were subsequently booted, w/o physical evidence (don't know if the June guy is still there).

Funny part? Afterwards, the 'rumor' spread that they had both popped positive; only those attending the mast knew the truth of the matter. Incidentally, neither of these two masts were announced, resulting in significantly fewer attendees than usual; the previous five masts this year were all announced, with junior enlisted being encouraged to attend.

The same command (a hospital, mind you) gave drug tests on a biweekly basis, as spice has been a continuing, though apparently untestable, problem there.

Not officially closing the book on this one (I could be wrong), but it just sounds like your typical RUMINT/PSYOPS disbursed down from the chain until they can find a proven way to test that can be stamped and sealed to put TFOG in the junkies.

Tokan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 16, 2010

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

Slippery posted:

I mean maybe I'm missing something here but it sounds like you're unhappy that the command hasn't made it 100% clear as to whether testing works for spice or not.

I wouldn't say missing something, but certainly adding something based on the tone and focus of your post. I'd be outside of the demographic that you're delivering your PSA to.

Slippery posted:

Why should they? If you know it's not OK and you do it, and you get busted, I mean it's on you, after all.

Good example right there. Right message, wrong recipient.

Slippery" posted:

Again I got nothing against spice et al. personally but it's illegal so what is there to even discuss?

You don't have to agree with my perception of the entire spice ordeal or my opinion of why SECNAV hasn't issued a solid statement regarding testing capabilities. The issue brought up was its testability, not the service(wo)man's choice to use or the Navy's legal stance on it.

Tokan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 16, 2010

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010
^ Could not agree more.

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

Slippery posted:

Who cares whether SECNAV issues a statement or not? Who cares if the test is easy or hard or even possible? Why is that even relevant to the rule?

Heh, um..

No one said it was, because (once again) the rule wasn't the issue in contention; testability was. When you decided otherwise is beyond me.

GHH - The spice girls? Are they getting booted for what it sounds like they're doing?

Xing - Idle hands sounds about right. Friend of mine in the Corps was 'punished' for tampering with the radio equipment at Goodfellow by being given desk orders to Meade. He hated life, never having gotten to hit the field, and left instead of reupping at his EAOS with a bitter attitude towards the service.

Do they still send you leathernecks over to Goodfellow after DLI? I know they changed it for us squids some time back.

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

Slippery posted:

(although it is)

Sorry. Calling the BS card on this one.

It's about as factual as 'stress cards' being offered in boot camp. ;)

Tokan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 17, 2010

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010
In the case of the Navy, ignorance won't work at all. As per NAVADMIN 108/10, issued March 2010:

"PER REFS A AND B, DRUG ABUSE INCLUDES THE WRONGFUL USE,
POSSESSION, MANUFACTURE, OR DISTRIBUTION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE.
DRUG ABUSE ALSO INCLUDES THE UNLAWFUL USE OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
ANALOGUES (DESIGNER DRUGS), NATURAL SUBSTANCES (E.G., FUNGI,
EXCRETIONS), CHEMICALS (E.G., CHEMICALS WRONGFULLY USED AS
INHALANTS), PROPELLANTS AND/OR PRESCRIBED OR OVER-THE-COUNTER DRUGS OR
PHARMACEUTICAL COMPOUNDS WITH THE INTENT TO INDUCE INTOXICATION,
EXCITEMENT, OR STUPEFACTION OF THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, AND WILL
SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO PUNITIVE ACTION UNDER THE UCMJ AND/OR ADVERSE
ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION. EXAMPLES OF OTHER SUBSTANCES, THE WRONGFUL
USE OF WHICH CONSTITUTES DRUG ABUSE, INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO
THE FOLLOWING:
A. PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN SYNTHETIC CANNABINOID COMPOUNDS, SUCH AS
SPICE, GENIE, BLAZE, DREAM, EX-SES, SPARK, FUSION, DARK KNIGHT,
YUKATAN FIRE, AND K2.
B. NATURAL SUBSTANCES SUCH AS SALVIA DIVINORUM AND MUSHROOMS.
C. COMMON ITEMS ABUSED BY INHALING OR HUFFING, SUCH AS DUST OFF,
GLUE, PAINT THINNER AND GASOLINE.
D. OVER-THE-COUNTER PRODUCTS SUCH AS ROBITUSSIN AND CORICIDIN HBP.
E. PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS SUCH AS OXYCODONE, VICODIN, ADDERAL, AND
VALIUM."

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010
... Jesus Christ, what the Hell kind of a place am I going to?!

Do all of these asshats prefer to stay -inside- base or outside of Monterey on their liberty, or am I just going to have to rent a semi-permanent hostel in San Cruz/Jose/Fran for the weekends if I want any semblance of a decent nightlife?

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

dividebyzero posted:

Once you leave Monterey, you will spend the rest of your military career 1) wishing you were back in Monterey, 2) making deals with the devil (aka 'detailers') to get orders back to Monterey in some capacity. Don't gently caress around like I did, grousing about the aspies/the cost of living for an E-nothing in the Monterey Bay area;

Enjoy it while you again, because it is one hell of a great opportunity

Will do. Already have a list of things I plan to get involved in when I arrive, and planning on taking it easy (nightlife-wise)the first few months just to get settled in to the area. Learned enough at the last command not to lose perspective and take things for granted.

Living off-base should make it easier too.

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010
Good luck! I hope you do well.

What language did you test for, and was it the DLAB v.5? (not sure if it applies to all languages)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

SirEverlast posted:

When and why did they get rid of the second semester DLPT?
Ditto to what faddypaddy wrote regarding saving money. Additionally, some of the other languages supposedly never offered a first-look DLPT to begin with, and I was told by another NCO that it wasn't even supposed to be occurring in the first place.

• Locked thread