Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm heading here in September with the Army. How exactly do they determine what language I get anyway? I can never seem to get a straight answer from my recruiters, as I'm their first ever 35P from our lovely little region in Alabama. Of course, that could just be recruiters being recruiters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I got a 141 on the DLAB, so I'll most likely get a CAT IV language I assume. Do they still do Russian, CHinese, and Japanese, or is it mostly Arabic and Korean now, as far as CAT IV goes?

Silvance fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 20, 2013

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm seeing the same thing so far. Only a few weeks into Pashto and nearly a third of the class dropped under the level that would cause them to qualify for mandatory SA (3.0 GPA) were we not already on mandatory SA for being in the first 8 weeks of class. Also, zero hour? What's up with that poo poo.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
In other news, DLI is dropping its contract with American Warrior Network, and the contract with the new ISP doesn't start until June, so unless they do something in the meantime, that's 3 months without internet. Great idea for a post that relies so heavily on the internet.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm not Air Force so I can't don't know what's happening exactly, but apparently they lost almost half their ropes. Their command called an airman leader meeting and told them that if any of them had made any mistakes or let any mistakes slide by, to take off their ropes. The honest ones took off their ropes and had them taken from them. There was even a red rope who was only a red rope for a day. Kinda sucks for the ones that were actually good ropes I guess.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
On the bright side, it got us an early release from class. The whole "dismissing civilian personnel" thing had me worried that the PX wouldn't be open. Where would I have gotten my cheap alcohol from?

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
DLI actually lost their Rapidrote contract; we can't use the site anymore.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
3/3/1+ in Pashto! Done with this drat place. On to Goodfellow and then Meade!

Oh, and they're IPads, not IPod touches.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm actually Pashto, which I've heard has an easier course here than Farsi, but I have very little reference level for that. I know Pashto flat out never hands out more than 2 on the OPI, which is fine since it doesn't actually matter.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Analogical posted:

They must have really improved the Pash course. When I was at DLI they were just standing it up and a 1+/1+ was gold back then but the instructors were mostly farmers too.

Farsi should be harder linguistically though it has more resources and actual instructors, so it's easier to learn normally. Silvance is about to hate his life, only one place you gon end up boy

You're not in Disgusta are you?

Well, by one place, I assume you mean Goodfellow? After that, it's Meade for me, which I've heard isn't too bad. Sucks though, because I had my orders to Germany in hand when they got revoked because of lack of need and switched me to Meade.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Analogical posted:

Nah I mean more of what you'll be doing in Meade. Try to pick up some other skills while at Goodfellow if you're able, and if you get a chance to switch, as Pash, down to GA I'd try to do that if I were you.

Any reason you can give me for that? I was originally going to Wiesbaden, but the day after I had my orders in hand they were revoked because they closed Wiesbaden down to pashto linguists. I wanted GA because it's close to home but Meade is very centralized so I'm looking forward to it.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Analogical posted:

The mission at GA that a Pashling would be working in has a lot higher a lifespan than what you'll be doing in Meade and much cooler.

A big difference here though is what department the DoD puts you in which you wouldn't know yet until you've done "new hire orientation". How far along are you now? Once you get to the worksite I can give you some guidance on the lay of the land.

I'm in Goodfellow. One month in and I realize why every soldier I've talked to who's been here for longer than I acts clinically depressed. This is where dreams go to die.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

Having actually gone to DLI I have come to the conclusion that literally any "DLI story" is absolutely plausible. Place is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
So I'll be in meade in 3 days. Anything you guys can tell me about the post?

Also, anyone here a pashto linguist? I'd like to keep my 3/3 but after my experience at Goodfellow I learned the vast difference between real pashto and DLI pashto. What did you guys do to improve your real (grammatically incorrect ) Pashto?

• Locked thread