Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
There are a lot of really weird people that get to DLI, but few of them actually make it all the way through training and get their clearance. That was my experience at least.
Is this beach stabbing incident pre 2005/2006 or later? And as another anecdote the whole meth lab thing got busted the weekend I arrived there, good times here's hoping I can get back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
I really really don't think it'd be too bad a second time around since as prior service you won't have to spend much time with the 'spergiest of them outside of a classroom. poo poo even when going through the first time no one had to spend any time with them really with the exception of a few severe cases like the shower girl mentioned earlier.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Don't worry Hagetaka linguists are no more queer or faggy than any one else in the AF! In fact Humbug Scoolbus epitomizes why I want to go back!

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Just remember there was a guy who wore a fox tail, like as a furry would, and a fox ear hat. Some Marines started making fun of him and tore off his tail, breaking it in the process. When he went to the MTIs to complain they told him to gently caress off because that's not normal.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

tengohemroidz posted:

I must have went through DLI at a weird time because most of the Air Force people (mainly the dudes, all the chicks were whores, but what tech school girl isn't?) that I was there with were always playing on some sports team, and only got in trouble for drinking underage, breaking phase, loving some chick in their room, or oversleeping and showing up late to class.

This is most peoples experience it's just the super weirdos that really stand out and that you never ever forget.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Graham Central Station...:barf: There's some half decent bars around though.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Because we don't have to put up with them past whenever they wash out and in to your A school :)

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Depending on the language, they may be out of use entirely. Chinese threw out modules in favor of units. Don't ask me what the difference is.

Instead of learning to say "What a lovely new record player you have!" or "My that new Black and White TV you have must have been expensive" You learn to say thing like computer.

It's less books and more modern mostly.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
There was a guy that wore a fox tail and a hat with fox ears while I was at DLI. Some marines started giving him poo poo eventually ripping off his fox tail and breaking it in the process. When he went to the MTL's to complain they asked what the hell he was doing wearing that poo poo in the first place. I don't think anything ever happened to the marines and the guys stopped wearing his furry poo poo after that.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Should have clarified, sorry, furry dude wore that stuff in civvies not uniform. Also what Puckylnn says is true but I'm pretty sure that was brought up early in the thread anyway. Interesting you mention twins being there, there were 2 separate sets of twins their was I was stationed there too, 1 Army/Navy and 1 Air Force/Army

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Nerd.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
As Air Force, we got a little bit of that at PT when we first got there which was confusing because the majority of us had been in AETC meaning evals every month for a year and a half. At that point and were in better shape than most of the other new airmen at Goodfellow. But by and large the MTL's of our squadron were pretty cool and those of the other squadrons just tried to avoid contact with us and vice versa. This was late 2007-Early 2008

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
PINYIN! Just keep at it, it's not gonna get any easier but keep up with the memorization, especially for the vocab and you'll be fine.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

Professor Bling posted:

Through a series of horrible mistakes.

This is funny cos I know several people who either had degrees and still went to DLI or were in ROTC, failed classes at college and ended up with a debt to the armed services and wound up at DLI.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Well since you broke that seal here on SA. What the whole story on the great repay for those of us Air Force dudes that were at Goodfellow AFB from 2006 onwards. I'm hearing all sorts of crazy stories.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

somewhatpathetic posted:

Probably has to to with the millions that were jut shilled out in the 1N3/1A8 back pay spree.

Nah man, we were all paid TDY as promised. The back-pay was for BAH which is a little bit absurd, but drat if I don't expect to be paid it now that everyone else has. Also there's no way it adds up to millions. The average stay (and it applies only to AF) was ~3 mo netting most people around 3G and there sure as poo poo ain't 15000+ AF linguists passing through there per year. Doing some very rough math the back pay doled out didn't evern approach 500,000

• Locked thread