Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

One of my girlfriend's new baby. He looks a little bit stupid on this but it's the kind of stupid that we should all like! :D

(sorry for the bad quality, it's a screencap of a video)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it helps at all my last rat was OK living alone because I was around all day; he was right next to my desk in my home office. Not sure if that applies to you?

Spoke with the breeder and they said at her age, she should be okay alone with extra attention. Don't work from home but my wife does and will keep an eye out and sit with her. Also, done with school and hopefully getting a job with better hours soon so trying to spoil her extra until I can figure that out.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

When I was down to one elderly rat, I bought her a stuffed animal to snuggle. It was actually an opossum puppet, which happened to be about the same size and shape as her.

I don't know how much a difference it made, but she definitely pulled it into her nest and slept with it. She never destroyed it, though she did chew the ears and tail off.

I still have it, actually. Never had the heart to get rid of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My sewer child has a big soft bed in the top left there but he wanted to sleep in the toilet.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Man I miss rats, but as long as we live in drafty old houses, getting new ones wouldn't be fair to the rats.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Canoodle (white) and Ratilda (black) were finally still enough to get a good photo of them!

Love these two goofballs

e: sorry, phone posting and didn't realize the photo was massive

thehoodie fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 16, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Those are excellent rat names.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Do they have a license for that much adorableness? I love ears au naturel so much (sorry dumbos, you're super cute too).

Also

Animal-Mother posted:

Those are excellent rat names.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/nebulami/status/1405203866589802499

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That's a face of zero regrets.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rat bastard scared the poo poo out of me.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Had to cut up a perfectly good box for a mod challenge in GBS:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Some of my rats decided that their favorite thing to do now is climb the cage walls and then piss outside.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god. Our last female loved to put her butt against the corner of the cage, lift her tail and spray everything on the wall. But we still loved her :)

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

As you can see evidenced in the figure above, the natural position of the human's ulna and tibia is to be holding a big floofy rat.

(reposted from the funny pictures thread)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mushika posted:

As you can see evidenced in the figure above, the natural position of the human's ulna and tibia is to be holding a big floofy rat.

(reposted from the funny pictures thread)

:hmmyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eg

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gave them a paperbag, they loved it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

loving adorable.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mine love crinkle paper. I just give them a few handfuls and they distribute it to their boxes and nests how they want. Sometimes they throw it all out. Spring cleaning, I guess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-57826515

What a go-getter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my babies has a new favorite sleeping spot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All of you need to see this.

https://twitter.com/nezura1964/status/1416896021100068864

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Adorable.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Our carrier while I was cage cleaning

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Snoots. :3:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Chin Strap posted:

Look at those little faces! :3: My girls do this whenever they want to beg for treats. They grab the bars and do their best “We are so neglected” routine. You’d think they’d never been fed or loved in their lives. (They are spoilt with cuddles and good rat appropriate food.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chin Strap posted:

I can't help but picture then singing acapella.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

He's on a diet, I promise. I adopted him like that.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Smoke wasn't feeling good so Ghost crawled over to keep her company.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Aww.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ghost has breakfast:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Animal-Mother posted:

Ghost has breakfast:

This brings back memories. When I was much younger, I used to sneak one of my first rats pretty much everywhere I went, especially to McDonalds. She'd hide in my jacket and I'd sneak her fries while I ate.

She once sat in my lap in a nearly-empty theater and slept through an entire showing of Flirting with Disaster, occasionally waking up to bug me for popcorn before falling asleep again.

(Ghost is very handsome, btw.)

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Ghost has breakfast:

perfect animal

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
In case you needed whiskers today!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All good rattos. Here's mine:

He is beauty, he is grace.

One of the babies getting too big for his favorite place.

Me and my oldest outside.

Stdeviation
Oct 19, 2013
Hi,

First time pet owner here, and need to ask a huge question.

I've recently adopted a trio of 1year old rats from a shelter and two of them may be facing euthanasia on Tuesday, on the grounds they have upper respiratory infection. My question is what is the right call?

Background info

I've had the rats for 1½ months. They were treated for UPI prior to when I picked them up. Thanquol has had a persistent symptoms (breathing issue) show throughout my care, but is by far the most active one and loves to explore (jumped off tables, climbed cages, chewed through cardboard playpen). Shadow has recently become sick again and has at times much more severe breathing issues. When I visited the vet last Thursday, she recommended to put down both down immediately. I hesitated because while Shadow did display severe symptoms right there, in the morning he'd been somewhat fine (to the point I joked to my gf that I felt like I was wasting the vets time with Shadow). I thought it was the matter of the stress of transport that have exacerbated his symptoms.

Currently Shadow still exhibits severe case of his symptoms at irregular periods and rests alot in the cage. He does still show an inquisitive side and loves to climb up on the cage to survey his kingdom.

The vets recommended 0,2ml of baytril for the first month twice a day. Since thursday I've amped it up to 1mL, seeing that if they don't get better they're dead. As far as my googling has seen, its within reasonable limits (please correct me if I'm wrong).

With my current knowledge I feel that the rats still have a decent quality of life. However, both vet and girlfriend feels I should follow the recommendation set by the vet and euthanize them.

I'll admit, I understood I would have to decide this but thought it'd be in a year. I now understand the moral quagmire of putting down your pets and afraid I'm selfishly choosing to extend their suffering for a slim hope.
I'm not the best pet owner in the world, but I hope you guys can help shape my choice that will reflect the rats best interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My personal line for euthenising rats is if they're obviously suffering or they need a second major surgery (low chances of a good outcome).

I suppose it depends what you consider severe symptoms. They definitely do worse when stressed. One of mine had upper respiritory issues for his entire life, and the vet never suggested putting him down (though he was on regular medication with middling success).

I dunno, it's a hard question to answer without knowing your rats well.