Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Okay this question is rather :wtf: and :nms: but I really need advice

To start off I have had pet rats for years and have never seen anything like this. When I woke up this morning my living room smelled of death, I noticed a smell last night but figured it was the cats litter box, I was wrong, one of my 2 male rats were dead (no way the cats can get to them). I thought it was strange as he's wasn't even a year old. Upon closer inspection he was torn apart, I wouldn't be able to tell his front from his back if it weren't for the direction of his feet, spinal cord out, head and tail gone and other grossness.

They haven't received the greatest attention recently because of the holidays but they had plenty of food and water so the other rat wasn't just hungry. Could the live one now be rabid? He's walking around his cage right now like nothing happened, I don't know what this would look like in a rat. Or could the deceased one have been sick in someway and the other one killed him for that (I never seen this happen either but, maybe?)? Is the one that's still alive just a jerk or was the dead one infected with an alien?

I have noticed that they would box (with a squeak here and there) a little more than usual for male rats but until now I have never seen any missing fur or blood drawn.

I think there might still be some remains in the cage but right now I'm not sure if I want to go near it as I have never seen this before.

If it matters they were not necessarily from the same litter, we moved rather long distance with a single elderly male rat (who is gone now too but for differing reasons, he was just old). We wanted to get him buddies ASAP so didn't go through a breeder and just got these two from a pet store.

Also I don't want to leave the current rat alone......but I also don't want to put anything else living in that cage.

Any advice would be appreciated!

PS: And to not scare anyone away from pet rats, after MANY years this is the first time I've seen this.

Edit: We've had these 2 particular ones for about 4 months

Second edit: Just reading the 2 posts quoted below from this page, I guess he's just a jerk....but still it's horrifying when I've never seen this before.... Some advice would still be nice though, because I'm still confused because they would constantly sleep ontop of eachother, except for the one time the horrible jerk Leukemia pushed Carcinogen out of the hammock. Should I get 2 more rats to possibly spread out any aggression or just leave him as a lone rat? I'm not sure which is worse, leaving him alone or having him possibly kill another one.....

CompactFanny posted:

He started a fight and lost an eye, we nearly lost him to the infection but the second round of antibiotics did it. Months later, reintroduction went fine... all was well for a month solid. Then he disemboweled my favorite boy. Luckily I was home to rush him to the vet and euth him.

Sorry for the :smith:
(spoiler for :gonk:)

Jin Wicked posted:

I have a similar situation that I have posted about in the past.

One very sweet rat, the other literally tries to kill everyone except his brother.

The psycho is neutered too which makes even less sense. He is a lover of people though.

Their injured mother was sedated multiple times while unknowingly pregnant... yeah.

They have both had some bizarre medical issues. I chalk it all up to that.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

If it makes you feel better, its quite possible that he didn't kill his cage mate. Rats tend to try to dispose of dead rats as a way to stop predators from being attracted to the nest. This happens FAR more often than rats violently killing each other, from what I've read, and is quite likely if your living guy had all night with the dead one. Did you hear any screaming, anything like that? Anything unusual?

I have heard of rare cases (the ones you quoted) where rats kill each other but honestly its usually just post mortem clean up :( I would bet on this considering you've never had a problem with violence. For what its worth I've never seen aggression of this type either.

Rabies isn't a concern unless your rat was bitten by a wild animal :P

Thank you for easing that at least. Before this I've always had some kind of warning that death was impending and would be kinda ocd with checking the cage.

When I say they haven't been receiving the greatest attention because of the holidays I mean from 12/24 up until now not the whole month, unless there were no external tumors that were noticeable, he was eating and drinking fine and was energetic as usual. I think that's why I'm still quite shocked.

As for the rabies....I have no idea how long it would take for that to set in, 4 months seems a long time to notice symptoms for something such as that but I've never seen an animal with it in person, especially a rat, and who knows where the pet store got them from.

I think I will consult the fiancee tonight to decide if I should go to a pet store.....again....so he's not lonely or try to find a breeder. I'd rather deal with a breeder but from experience breeders are hard to deal with unless you are starting "fresh".

I tend to start with 2 until one passes.
Then I get two ASAP to keep the older one company so he doesn't starve himself
Older one dies but the two new ones still have each other until on of them goes
Full circle......I really hate short lifespans

I have never found a breeder that has any that fits into the times that I need them, and if one does their adoption process is ridiculous. I guess now that I am in Chicago rather than Philly now, I will look tonight to see if there is any type of rat rescue (to adopt a new baby). But If I get impatient for him to have a new buddy I'll probably head to Petsmart within the next couple days.....possibly tomorrow.

Thanks you.

Edit: Also I didn't notice any screaming, but I also sleep like a brick.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 29, 2011

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

I understand it can be hard to find babies when you need them. Your guy should be fine for a little while, he might grieve, some rats do get depressed but some don't seem to be affected too much.

I've nothing against getting rats from pet stores that keep them in good conditions and treat them well, but stories of some petsmart stores shock me (I'm in Australia and only our small local pet stores tend to sell pets at all), and I know a lot of people mistreat or feed their rats to snakes so I can understand breeders being picky, to a point. Just be careful of petsmart. If your local store keeps them in proper conditions, go for it.

Anyway, rambling aside, I think your boy would be fine with new babies, I really think he didn't kill your other guy, but he will be fine for a little while if you need time to find some.

Thanks for the encouragement, I think tomorrow I'm going to clean and move things around in his cage to make things more interesting, it needs to be cleaned anyway... I hate loving rats.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^^^This, edited my post because your suggestion is much better.

Beluga Smoothie posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for water delivery? I don't know if she can drink from the bottles, I haven't seen her do it all day

I think this is one of the hardest things to do, especially with other rats present. What worked best for me was removing the sick rat (so the others don't eat/drink everything first, because anything from me is a treat).

On a side note with my issues I don't think Leukemia killed Carcinogen anymore, right now he's laying with his head hanging over a ledge, which I only ever see when a rattie looses their friend. Sorry for crappy phone pic but he's definatly depressed about it. He's going to get lot's of attention tomorrow.

Edit: Jin Wicked suggested baby food and is much better than what I suggested.
Edit: I edit too much.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 29, 2011

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

Anyway, rambling aside, I think your boy would be fine with new babies, I really think he didn't kill your other guy, but he will be fine for a little while if you need time to find some.

Well the new rats and the old guy have had a few days to get each others scents, see each other in seperate cages while everyday I would move a sock from one cage to the other for the scents. Today I introduced them without cages in neutral territory (bathtub) and that did not turn out well at all........ The old guy sniffed the new ones for a bit and did his little dominance thing for a few seconds and then he started taking chunks out of the back and stomach of one of the new guys....seperated immediately. Ayiyiyi, now to figure out if I want to take this a lot slower or just accept that my older guy can only be alone and figure out what to do with the two newer guys.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I don't know if anyone posted this link before (couldn't find anything with search).
We like to buy our Harlan Teklad lab blocks and other stuff from here: http://www.thecraftyrat.com/
The site is very amateurish but the prices are very reasonable for most things. She only ships to the US (and maybe Canada) though. Our orders always arrive in a timely manner.

Edit: I also moved two of our rats to a new cage, it has wire floors though. Can anyone recommend and link me to an inexpensive sticky tile for it?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 10, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Do his hind legs look swollen? It could be Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot).

VVVV Agreed, trust a vet.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 14, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Another choice from the bird section is this fountain waterer. I bought it for Patti when she had limited mobility near the end and was having trouble with a regular water bottle. She found it a bit easier to use, so perhaps something to try out if you have a rat that struggles with typical bottles for whatever reason.

I talked to my other half about getting one or two of these the other day for our rats. All the ones I ever see are made out of plastic and we decided it's probably not worth it because they will just chew though it. Do yours chew at it at all? Either the basin or the water containing part.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

^^ haha good timing. I took it out of the cage a couple weeks after Patti passed since it wasn't really needed anymore. I didn't notice any chewing at all, but none of them chew as much as Patti did. If you have a rat with mobility issues it is probably worth it though. The little rats seemed to prefer drinking out of it too, for what it's worth.^^

One of the problems my girl had was trouble using her tongue and managing a traditional water bottle. I posted earlier in the thread about this, but I picked up this bird fountain style waterer, might be easier for him to handle (picture links through to petsmart page for it). It allows drinking from a "dish" with less spilling water all over the cage, plus it can be placed pretty low on the cage wall. I don't know what you're feeding him, but you should also try adding in things with a higher water content – baby food works well for this, and you can always thin it out a bit.

Mr ratties don't struggle with the typical glass bottle with the ball thing but I thought something like this might be better for them in general as mine love water and a bowel of water does not work, they will be sopping wet in minutes and water will be everywhere. But I also hate plastic waterers for rats.

Sorry about your loss :( I have to return a wheel to the pet store soon maybe I will get one to try it out to see if they like it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Also since some people seem to be reading the thread at the moment. I'll ask again. I had to move my ratties into a new cage and it has wire bottoms for the levels. Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive sticky tile for it. Or would clear contact paper work as a substitute to cover the wire floors?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Thanks. I imagine that as long as you have more appealing things for them to chew in the cage they won't bother, and the plastic that sticks into the cage is relatively sturdy.

edit:

I just googled a little bit and it seems like you could get sticky-backed vinyl squares for not very much money – Amazon seems to have a pretty big selection. You could also try doing fleece covers for them, but they might dig under (if they're placed on top), or through (if they're wrapped around like a pillowcase).

Oh, fleece sounds like it would be comfy for them but I wouldn't trust mine with it. They love to chew on anything that is not their chew toys. Even though they love sleeping in their hammocks, we have to make them a new one near weekly because they tear it to shreds. Doesn't matter how many chew toys we put in.

"Sticky vinyl" works much better as a search term. Thank you, whenever I tried to search for it on amazon, I would come up with results to cover an entire kitchen with the stuff, I don't need that much.

Edit: The most luck I've had with them chewing what I want them to is my homemade rope ladder, made with, well rope, and store bought flavored sticks.

Edit 2: Thinking about it, a rope bridge sounds like it could be a fun idea.....or terrible.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 14, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Are you against all plastic in the cage?

Crafty Rat sells that hammock and I've been debating on buying it for a while!
http://www.thecraftyrat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC-24&Category_Code=AC
Looks like the one you linked is cheeper though.

I think a bone may be more appealing than what you pictured heh heh, it looks like a pair of testicles with elephantitis to me. I don't know where I read it but somewhere I read rawhide wasn't a good idea for rats.....but I also can't quite remember the reason

Edit war: for the snak shacks all the ones I have ever seen are really small. Maybe I can look up a larger one on petsmarts website.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 14, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Hahaha, yeah, a bone would probably look a bit more appealing. As far as I know, rawhide is fine for rats (and definitely better than whatever else they'd be chewing). The snak shak house I have is maybe 12ish inches at the base, and easily sleeps all four rats. The big log I have is probably 9 inches long, 5 inches tall.

edit:
Petsmart carries the big one, 13" base.

edit 2:
Also the larger log.

Those ratties are adorable! I just tried to take a picture of my guys but between my horrid cellphone and them being more excited with me rather than each other it was hard to get a decent picture. I think they thought it was coming out and play time, sorry guys not after 1am, they should know better. (Oh I know why. Today was litter changing day. They hate this day and don't like their stuff messed with.)

Turbine on the left. Rotor on the right.

For the snak shak, I thought you were talking about this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753529&clickid=prod_cs
I'll have to look into the one that you linked

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 14, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Olive Bar posted:

Edit: Okay, so there might be a problem. I had him on my shoulder when I walked past one of my other cages and he FREAKED THE gently caress OUT. If he is within reaching distance of other rats he goes evil. Not, oh lets play evil, but like, I'm gonna rip your face off death shriek evil. Is it possible that he won't be able to be housed with other rats? Can he still thrive with just a ton of human contact? Honestly, after his reaction I don't even want to try to introduce him to the rest of my rats. :ohdear:

Put his cage near the other guys so they constantly see eachother, but not so close that they can bite each other. Put a hammock or sock or something cloth in each of their cages and switch the cloths with eachother after a few days. After a couple more days, switch the rats if you can into each others cages. After another day, have them meet, supervised in neutral territory like the bathtub. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

If they get along well after meeting, it can also help to clean and rearrange everything in what you want to be your main cage. So it's like a whole new area for everyone.

Although this doesn't always work and he may need to be housed separately and given lots of human attention. Others may have a better way of socializing them with other rats.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 26, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Olive Bar posted:

:words:

Also be very careful about breaking up a rat fight if it happens. Never do an introduction within a cage as it will be hard to separate them. Blood will be shed, rat blood and your blood.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

m0rrin posted:

I also can't find custom sized ladders, any tips on what else they are ok with climbing from level to level? Is coroplast OK or will they slip?

This is how I make my rope ladders. I use applewood sticks or other flavored chew sticks and, rope, I think it's clothesline that I use for the rope. http://www.ehow.com/video_4807652_make-knots-rope-ladder.html

These though are more for fun than actually getting around.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Blah, so I was a bad pet owner a few weeks ago and forgot to freeze my bag of bedding before cleaning his cage when going on vacation (I do everything last minute.). Now that I'm back I'm noticing small scabs on his neck and face along with lots of scratching. I just ordered the correct dosage of Ivermectin from Amazon but is there anything I can do to ease his itchyness until that arrives (aside from thorough cleanings of everything and information that's in the O.P.)? I've been reading a Melafix bath can help short term, and I do have some of that on hand from my aquarium but I don't really want to trust a random website on google with using that on him even if it is diluted.

Edit:
Bonus pictures:
Rattie that now has mites :(

Ratties that I bought today (before I noticed the mites :( )that will now have to be treated too. (Don't worry. The tiny cage isn't their main, just used for transporting them and and is being used for short periods a day for them to get each others scents because the 2 large cages won't fit anywhere near each other.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 4, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

daggerdragon posted:

A horse-sized tube of ivermectin is $5 at my local feed store and you put a dab literally the size of a grain of rice on a cheerio and feed it to the rat. There's a whole write-up in the OP about this under the heading HOW TO CURE YOUR INFESTATION. Unless your rat is extremely small, underweight, sick, or a baby, it'll be fine.

Yeah the new guys are old enough to get half a grain of rice sized dose of the meds older guy full grain of rice sized. I just want information on how to keep him less itchy while I'm waiting for the ivermectin in the mail. if for some. reason it isn't mites (it is) I will take him to a vet.

For reference I don't use Aspen as bedding. the pet store does because its cheap. I use carefresh but it still has the same problems with mites that others have from stores if not frozen.

any information on keeping him less itchy for a couple days would be much appreciated.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So a seller on amazon dicked me over on my Ivermectin, I went with Zimecterin brand because I've used it before. But the seller never mailed it. I had a brand I've never used before overnighted and it's apple flavored, hopefully it will be more easily accepted.

I figure it doesn't hurt to double check that this is the correct stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NYACAS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Awesome. Thanks I'll clean everything and dose everyone after I go to the bank.

Edit: Yeah the stuff I bought is tasty to them, all 3 rats gobbled it up on top of a honey yogurt drop.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 23, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Do you use more than 1 water bottle? If you have just one it could have malfunctioned and not have been dispensing water. Sorry for your loss, it sucks when something like this happens.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 26, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Gramps is starting to look better now that he has received his meds. Less itching, some scabs are disappearing and he seems a good bit more active now that he isn't constantly scratching, everyone gets a cage cleaning and another dose tomorrow.

The new rats are socializing with me rather well. Eclipse (brown hooded) absolutely loves my hoodie, he walks right into it and refuses to leave when I open up the cage. Nebula (tan hooded) is the same, he accepts me picking him up and putting him on my shoulder and he like to roam back and forth, sniff the air. In a week or so, I'll try to introduce new guys and old guy in the bathtub to see how that goes, hopefully there won't be blood.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Some rats do fine with plastic bottoms, some don't. If you don't want to buy a new cage try adding in more things for them to chew on, plastic in particular. I wouldn't use bitter apple spray inside their cage since they will frequently be coming in contact with it. Personally, I'd say just buy a new cage with a metal base, it's not worth the risk of them escaping and injuring themselves/getting lost if they have a tendency to chew through the base in my opinion.

Edit: You can also try lining it on the inside with aluminum foil, most rats from what I've found don't like to chew it but they could still push it down, scratch it off, etc... and then chew the plastic.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 1, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

My boy recently started scratching a lot behind his ears. There are no sores yet but it seems like they can appear if he keeps scratching. He only scratching behind his both ears and the skin looks normal.

Any idea on what it might be?

Maybe mites? Do you freeze your rats bedding before putting it in the cage? I can't tell by the small amount of information given, but the Ivermectin treatment in the OP worked perfectly to cure my infestation.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I don't really know what to do here.
Ever since one of my boys passed away, his brother spends all his time in his cage, mostly sitting in a corner and chewing toys.
He doesn't go out on his own (I never lock the cage, they can roam free around the room) but he doesn't seem to mind my company.

I've read that rats get depressed when they're alone. If that's true, is there anything I can do for him?
I want to take another pair of boys but I won't be able to do it this month.

I have had rats die from depression before when they lost cagemates (stops eating and drinking). I would strongly suggest getting him 2 friends. Just be sure to do the introduction properly. They way I do it is I use vanilla extract and put it on their butts, stomachs and behind their ears, leave them alone for 10ish minutes to get them all used to the scent. Then I introduce them on neutral territory (bath tub or a spare cage). If that doesn't work you can try using 2 cages, keep them close together (but not so close that they can bite each others tails) and after a few days switch who's in what cages so they constantly smell eachother.

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, I'll check him for mites. What are some other symptoms of mite infection?
Black flecks, red flecks or white flecks that move...Some can be microscopic though. Constant scratching and scabs are also a common sign. Scabs usually appear around the face or stomach area from my experience. Sometimes they can have them for years without notice and only show signs when it's a really bad infestation or when they are ill.

Jack Trades posted:

It's porphyrin. That might be a symptom of respiratory infection or just stress.
Here's some information regarding that: http://ratballs.com/RatTails/Tails081.html

Yes it can be from either, if it is a respiratory issue I have personally found a single chocolate chip to help or 2 drops of flavored childrens Echinacea from Whole Foods to help.

A trip to your local small animal vet may help too, if you have that option. I hope all goes well.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 24, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I was planning on getting two young boys. That way, hopefully, nobody will have to be alone in 1-2 years.

That's the reason I always get at least 2 for a lone rat. It's sad that they have such short life spans when they are so adorable but thinking ahead helps :(

Jack Trades posted:

The thing is that I treated him for lice, about 6 weeks ago, and I'm 100% certain he doesn't have lice, because I know for sure how they look,
Some are microscopic, as in you can't see them. If you are at all unsure a small animal vet could run tests and tell :)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 24, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Chakattack! posted:

So my new girls are settling in astonishingly well. No fighting, they sleep together all the time, I can't even work out any really obvious hierarchy as nobody is getting bullied or power-groomed or anything.

I'm just a little concerned about my tiny rex girl - she's way smaller than her PEW "sister" (I really doubt they're from the same litter or even the same age, they're such a difference in size, unless she's incredibly runty). In the cage she sometimes just seems to shut down - she'll hunker down in a corner and won't respond to anything, food held infront of her, petting, gentle words. She doesn't even cringe like she's scared - it's like she's literally just switched off. I know she's not terrified because she lets me pick her up and handle her easily, and when she's out of the cage with me she'll climb all over me and come to me for snuggles. Also, she lets me grab her when she gets places she shouldn't which seems like an amazing display of trust from a under-socialised rescue rat I've had for 3 days. But her random shut-downs in the cage are freaking me out, making me think she's ill or something.

Any ideas, rat goons?

Edited to add: As well as being pretty small she also feels pretty skinny and I NEVER see her eating and she won't take food from me (not unusual from new rats in a weird environment I know) so I'm starting to worry that she's not getting enough food or something. Oh god I've had these rats 3 days already I'm like MY BABIESSSSSS.

I don't have much experience with female rats...but with that being said. I've had lots of luck switching to other kinda healthy staples (ie from Harlan Teklad to Mazuri or Oxbow) because they each have a slightly different flavor. I've even used those crappy nut and seed mixes to fatten up thin rats because it gives them a variety and may be what they are used to from the breeder or the store. I slowly mix in the healthier foods as they get adapted to their new environment.

Edit: By the way, congrats on your new rats. Get a sweet green bell pepper, seriously, every rat I've ever had loves them...Don't over do it though :)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 24, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Chakattack! posted:

Thanks for your advice! They're on a pretty crappy seed-heavy generic rat mix at the moment because that's what they were being fed at the rescue and I didn't want to upset their diet too much. I don't think it's that food isn't suitable, I just never see her eating and she's really skinny. It's more the shutting down like a robot that concerns me.

I usually make up my own mix of grains, low-protein dog food, pasta and fresh veg so I know they'll be getting a good diet when I wean them off this lovely pet store food! I'm in the UK so I don't think we have any of the brands you listed - commercial small animal food here is pretty woeful to be honest.

Aww sorry, I hope she starts eating soon. Hunking down in the corner can also be a sign of respiratory distress, is she having trouble breathing? ... Just trying to open up all avenues to figure it out.

Edit: Also try dried whole wheat pasta, I've never had a rat that wouldn't eat it and you can easily hear them eating it to make sure.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 25, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Since my hamster passed I am thinking of getting a couple rats. For staple food I used to buy Harlan Teklad off of some website but I can't remember which one it was, Even tried searching my all of my gmail's and my way old netzero account to find out. - no luck -might have been bought off of my spouses account. I have a giant cage, plenty of toys, giant bag of Aspen, and KMS Bluegrass all I need is food an I want to have that ready before I get them. Anyone have an Idea? Been a while since I had rats but they are so cute!

Edit: Nevermnd - it was the crafty rat edit again: and it doesn't work anymore at least on my computer - anywhere else I can get Harlan Teklad?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 13, 2017

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you^^^ I just always bought HT as a staple diet not what they were only fed, unfortunatly there weren't any pet rats, so I got some mice, I got Kaytee crap just as a starter for now because that's what they were being fed just to make sure they eat because they will recognize it as food immediatly). My husband came home and stared "OMG they're tiny rats!". Giving them some time before I actually handle them to get them used to their new enviroment.

This is Hephaestus: I cought him sleeping in the wheel (which was completly clean when I put it in yesterday haha!)

Edit: it's a 100ish gallon long tank with wire topper thing, I couldn't put them in the giant rat cage because the bars are spaced too far apart for them. I also ordered these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHHDXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FTMYHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have an unopened lava block somewhere just have to find it - It might be burried underneath some empty vodka bottles.

VVV: I will take that as a note and will handle them later tonight when I get home from work! :D

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 14, 2017

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
That's why I have a topper wire thingy for it that gives it two more levels and holes drilled in the sides of it :D I also got these thingies so I can take them into the back bedroom to put on my lap to come over to me and get used to me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJRNQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Sure no nutritional value but it's a treat.

Edit I found some frozen peas in my freezer that I used to use for my fish, I tasted one and tasted fine, just to double check I can use them as treats too. Man these guys are fiesty. I have to tire out the cat before I can put them into the carrier thing to bring them upstairs away from the cats - more for the cats protection than the mice haha!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 15, 2017

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I found an old picture of our Pulsar (2013) when we lived in Chicago. I want more ratties but they don't live long enough and it's always a heart break.

And Quasar:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I sing "Baby, baby, baby" to my cat. does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hello I want to get a new rattie, I have both carefresh and aspen chips for bedding, I just need a new cage to keep my one cat away. my two previious cats never cared about the ratties - or even when I had gerbils or a hamster - but the newer kitty is a mouser so I am a bit scared of buying anything else unless I can put it high on the wall where he can not get to.

I have only had male ratties, but I am not opposed to females. - I just know how the males act and like to hang out in my hoodie.

E: Is KMS Hayloft gone I use to use it for bluegrass hay or 3rd cut timothy hay for my rats, gerbils and hamsters. --- but it seems to be gone?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 6, 2023