Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pterodactyl
Mar 10, 2009

Winning at life
OMG I'M SO EXCITED I JUST GOT RATS!

I have not been in a situation where keeping pets was feasible for a while, but now I am! And it's awesome!

I read through most of the last thread, all of this one, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle of what to do to keep these guys happy. They are sadly from a pet store, as I was unable to find a breeder or a rescue in my area :( But there's a certain joy in knowing that your pets could have been snake food.

So here they are!
This is Sir Dexton Lawrence Keeds, Gentleman Explorer

And this is Balls

I could not get a very good picture of Balls, because he's mostly been chilling in the dark corner in the back of the cage, emerging only to stockpile edamame or attempt to consume my consumer-whore blue-colored bedding. Sir Dexton has been working his way around the cage and scooting back into hiding whenever he sees me coming. I'm going to give them the night to get used to their new surroundings and then start working on socializing them better tomorrow morning, and hopefully snap some better pictures.

Oh, this is the cage they live in.

I think I might have gone a little overboard, because this thing is almost as big as my dresser, but if nothing else it will be fun. Well, it will be if my rats ever leave the back corner and play with all the fun poo poo I bought for them.

Quick concern: Dex has a bit of a cough, or a sniffle, or a something. He makes a little tiny rat-sneezey sound every now and then. Or maybe he's chirping. I have no clue. He wasn't doing it in the car, so I'm thinking it's the dusty bedding. His breathing sounds normal other than that little sound. The plan is to go to walmart tomorrow to get some fleece instead of carefresh, and some better way of attaching that screen to the cage. Do you think this is a wait-and-see situation or a take-him-to-the-vet situation? What's something to watch for that would mark a take-him-to-the-vet situation?

Thanks so much :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pterodactyl
Mar 10, 2009

Winning at life
Thank you so much :) As a neurotic quantifier, those videos were especially helpful.

They're both actually completely silent today, so I have a feeling he was just being stressed out yesterday.

As of yet, neither has ventured high enough into this monster cage to actually use the slide. I'm sure they'll get around to it, though, and I'll make sure to get it on film :)

Edit: Ooh! Better picture!

I love how Sir Dexton looks like typical pet store fancy rat, and Balls looks like something you might find under your fridge :3:

Pterodactyl fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 3, 2010