Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Meet my first rats in over 10 years! Trying to get them comfortable with me but they really like to wait until they don't think I'm around to leave their little nesting spot and explore the cage. Had them for less than a week but they seem extra skittish :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Just got bit hard enough to break the skin trying to pick up one of my rats :( . They do okay (if a bit squirmy) once you are actually holding them, but this one's been pretty defensive when my hand goes near her sometimes.

They both will take treats from my hand though, which is progress from a week ago I guess. And tje non-bitey one will actually eat when held or outside the cage.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Falstaff posted:

How long have you had them?
4 weeks. The amount of time I handle them everyday has been inconsistent though. Some days work has me dead and all I have time for is a few minutes. Working on that though.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was perhaps too hands off with my boys, but I would suggest not pushing their boundaries too hard too fast. Just gently ramping things up as they get comfortable with where they are with you already.

Yeah, I think my wife and I rushed in a little too fast with our expectations. Also getting rats right at the start of Retail Hell Season was probably a bad idea. So tonight I got a box of Cheerios and spent a few minutes luring Truffle (the bitey one) to the cage door and taking them from me. Even let me pet her while she ate one. so yay.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
My wife started off as "no rats," moved to "we can get rats but they have to be out of the way and they're your responsibility" then after we got them, to "the girls are so loving cute and I'm glad we got rats." I'm still doing most of the work with them but oh, the look on her face when she's holding one :3:

Also I heard rats like bandaids but I didn't realize how much until one of them tried to pull my finger off. So now I'm sitting here with them having to hide my thumb and handle them.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Good news: the rats are comfortable enough that they'll crawl into my hoodie and hang out. One of them will find a sleeve, crawl through and come back like it's some kind of ride.

Bad news: Same rat has also found the arm hole for my t-shirt. And really needs her nails trimmed.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Any recommendations for a carrier for 2 rats? I have this and when I wasn't looking they chewed a decent-sized hole in the mesh. I was thinking the Living World Hagen carrier, but even the large seems a little small?

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Falstaff posted:

It's world rat day today! And I am still, sadly, ratless... I miss my little goofballs a lot in these days of self-isolation.

As a World Rat Day thing, could those of you privileged enough to have rats share some pics with those of us who are ratless, like me? From each, according to ability, etc...

This is Truffle. She loves climbing up my sleeve and getting fed. Looks grumpy most the time.

And this is Snorkel. She's a sneaky jerk who likes stealing treats when I'm not looking. Does not like being photographed.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
After weeks of access to to the desk during free roam, the rats have suddenly developed a disturbingly strong attraction to my computer cables. If I'm not watching them, they're usually trying to taste the forbidden licorice. Time to rearrange things and block off my computer until I can order some cord protectors.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I love these two assholes.

Those are some adorable assholes. Mine just discovered my USB-C cable. Which is white. Much like the twisted up sheet of paper towel I've been using to play tug-of-war with them. So now I have to hide that too. Along with a couple journals, my tablet and sometimes my phone. They've gotten extra chew-happy lately and it's been a pain.

Also, here's Snorkel trying to dig a carrot out of some cardboard. The carrot fell out right next to her but it took a while to figure that out.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Bought a Kong toy today and, uh, is this normal?

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Perfectly. Chewing things is among the top three ways rats learn about the world around them, unfortunately.

Jaded Burnout posted:

As long as they're not actually eating it

Don't think they're swallowing any of it, but I've been keeping an eye just in case. Just didn't think their teeth were that sharp but every time I think that they find a new way to surprise me.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
One of my girls just ruined a second set of speakers then aggressively groomed my hand. Nice try but I'm still mad.

And now I have to rearrange my entire desk so no wire is within tooth's reach, even with cord protectors.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I moved mine under the desk. They love chomping at the diaphragms.

That's what I ended up doing. And bought an even cheaper pair of speakers this time. On the plus side, plenty of room for rativities on my desk.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
One of my rats started sneezing a bunch and what looks like silent hiccups a couple hours ago. She's snuggled up in the pod with her sister, but when it started she was pretty active and eagerly taking food from me. My weak-rear end googling says it might be myco or allergies, but also a lot of "see a vet."

You never realize how few places treat rats until you spend an hour calling every single vet and clinic within an hour's drive radius. Because my primary vet is booked solid through the start of October. How hosed are things?

Edit: got them out for free roam and she seems to be doing better, no hiccups.

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 17, 2020

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Lost one of my girls today and now I'm down to one. I'm feeling like poo poo because while I don't want her to live alone, I also don't think I have it in me to get more rats right now. Which probably means finding a new home and that is going to hurt.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it helps at all my last rat was OK living alone because I was around all day; he was right next to my desk in my home office. Not sure if that applies to you?

Spoke with the breeder and they said at her age, she should be okay alone with extra attention. Don't work from home but my wife does and will keep an eye out and sit with her. Also, done with school and hopefully getting a job with better hours soon so trying to spoil her extra until I can figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
And then there were none. Goodbye Truffle, my little chonklet.