Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

O ye rat folke.

Thought I'd ask a question here since I don't think many rat or mice people really go to the generic rodent thread. I have four mice, and I want to spoil the little shits. There isn't much in the way of 'mice love these' treat lists online, but there's a load for rats. Obviously rats and mice are different, but is what is safe for rats safe for mice, too?

Specifically, do you guys think the following would be okay for my mice?

- Eggs (hardboiled or softboiled), cooled and in the shell.
- Bull pizzles.
- Dried tripe.
- Small bones (raw or cooked?).
- Nylabone chews.
- Toast.
- Peanut butter.
- Pasta.
- Crickets.
- Mealworms (live or dead?).
- Other insects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Thanks guys!

Wasn't so sure on the peanut butter really - I saw it recommended a few times but the thickness/stickiness of it worried me a little.

The insects I'll be giving occasionally are all going to be store bought. Since they are pretty small and as you have said mice aren't as naturally predatory as rats, it'll be dead insects (dried mealworms for now, possibly dead crickets as a very occasional treat). I wouldn't feed anything I caught and killed myself.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'm thinking of getting rats in a year or so's time. I have some questions though :ohdear:

1. Does this breeder seem good? My local RSPCAs don't take rats, so the options are kind of that lady, BYB listing from preloved, pet shop, etc.

2. My mice are currently on Aubiose for substrate. That'd be fine to keep on with for rats, wouldn't it? (For litter trays, with fleece for everything else.)

3. Is the Critter 3 a good cage? My buddy got one and is getting a bigger cage for himself, so he's willing to keep hold of his Critter for me until then and give it to me.

4. Are males or females generally suggested as beginner rats? I'm not new to rodents (I've had hamsters before and currently have four mice), but I've never had rats. I know 'male rats = lazy' and 'female rats = active' is a generalisation that's often bandied around, but is there truth to it in general?

5. Do rats themselves smell? Another friend's rats (three males) all apparently smell - themselves and their fur/skin as opposed to the cage or toys. I'd imagine that keeping them on a good, homemade food, good substrate, and daily cleaning of the litter tray (and weekly wiping down of the cage, washing the fleece, etc) would keep down smells other than any actually ratty-generated ones.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Chakattack! posted:

Hi Fraction, a little late to reply to your post but as you say you're planning a year in advance maybe it doesn't matter so much!

1. Honeyduke Rats looks like a great breeder - I've read a bit about the Tabi Initiative they are involved with and it sounds very worthwhile and admirable and definitely a plus for you if you want healthy rats!

Awesome, and that's definitely a good thing! Obviously I have to apply to be on their waiting-for-rats list though, and it's a pretty extensive questionnare thing I'll need to fill in :ohdear:

Chakattack! posted:

2. I'm currently using Aubiose for my girls and it's good at keeping the smell down, very good value for money, but I find it a total nightmare for getting EVERYWHERE in my flat. Maybe you know this if you have mice, but if you keep them in a tank (not sure how mice are generally kept!) you may not have noticed. Everytime my girls jump down or up from the cage bottom it sprays everywhere. I have heard great things about ecobed/ecopetbed (cardboard squares basically) and as I'm at the end of my bag of Auboise I'm going to try it. I'm skeptical about cardboard keeping smell down, but everyone I've talked to says it does so fingers crossed!

Yeah the mice are in a tank on aubiose. I'll have to see just how deep the tray is at the bottom of whatever cage I get, and see whether I want to go aubiose or cardboard squares (I visited my friend, who has four male rats, on their cleaning day and although the smell was obviously strong it wasn't overwhelming or gross).

Chakattack! posted:

3. No personal experience but pretty sure that's a good cage. It's huge! :) Assuming the trays slide out for cleaning - otherwise maybe a bit of a pain! The cage I have (old Ferplast Jenny) is a bit hard to clean and the doors are very small - I've replaced a lot of them myself. From my experience you want something that's easy to clean and that is easy to get into so you can get your rats out easily.

My friend who had the cage has since discovered that the doors, apparently, suck. The tray doesn't slide out either so you have to squish yourself in there basically. So I'm looking at things like the Liberta Rodent Happy House, which I think would be a nice size for 2-3 ratties? It has huge big doors that open properly and lots of little ones for treat givin' too. The inside cage dimensions are 133cm tall, 50cm wide and 80cm long. I kind of love that cage

Chakattack! posted:

4. I've always heard males reccomended as beginner rats but that's more for children, I think, as girls can be so pingy and fast, maybe harder to handle for kids. I think honestly just weigh up the pros and cons and go for what you think you'll like best. I wish my girls were a little cuddlier but you do get cuddly girls. I would say though that before I got them I thought one of the big differences between male and female rats was that girls didn't scent mark/pee dribble all the time and boys did. I have one female rat that does and one that doesn't! So I think that point is moot. :) I am scared about my girls getting tumours, that is a big worry. The boys I had previously were very healthy until they died of old age, and I've had one UTI with my girls already, but that's maybe just bad luck.

Is the dribbling pee with males a Really Big Deal? I'm really tempted for getting a good chance of cuddly, lazy boyrats but I don't want streams of piss all over me. I've got mice now and have had rodents before and they've peed a little and its fine buuuut I don't know how much male rats generally pee on you.

Chakattack! posted:

5. I think my girls are fairly odourless, and I don't remember my boys being very smelly, but they were a bit greasier and maybe, as other people have said, slightly 'musky'. If you feed them well and keep the cage clean, they shouldn't smell. My girls only smell if there's been something like a puddle of pee on a shelf and they've been walking through it, or have somehow peed on one another. Or made a big nest and peed in it and slept in it. I feel like owning rats is one big battle against pee to be honest!

One of my friends has had a lot of rats, and swears that hers (both males and females) start to smell really bad once they hit a few months old. I did visit her not so long ago, and got to smell her rats literally the day after they'd been cleaned. They did smell pretty gross, but I don't know if that was them (as she says they themselves smell horrible) or the cage. I assume it's a food/substrate problem, but apparently they've tried a bunch of different foods, from pellets to homemade, and they've tried different substrates, so I dunno.

Chakattack! posted:

Seeing as you're in the UK, I would highly highly reccomend signing up to http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/ and asking any more questions you have there. They also have a web directory of active breeders on the forum which might be helpful to you, if you decide to 'shop around'. It's a bit more... not sure how to say it, "furbaby"esque than here (lots and lots of references to the rainbow bridge, for example) but the people are very friendly and incredibly helpful, and the community is lively and active so if you post needing help with anything you often get helpful replies astonishingly quickly.

Keep us updated with your quest for ratties! Always nice to have more UK rat folks. :)

Heh, already joined there a month or two ago. I haven't been that active there though yet. I also got a list of UK members of the NRFS, so I've been looking around too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Big Bug Hug posted:

If you aren't a neat freak, I highly doubt the peeing will bother you. When they are young they tend to mark a bit(edit: by marking, I mean leaving a trail of droplets) as well as have some accidents - like when keeping them in your shirt for an hour to get them used to you - but they grow out of it for the most part. Usually my older rats, when they do pee outside the cage, its a couple of drops on the couch or something. They never really pee on me.

I don't get why some people say they smell, at all. I use recycled newspaper pellets and very rarely notice a smell, its really good at absorbing everything. My rats don't smell like anything bad when I pick them up and sniff them. They smell warm and sometimes like doritos :D I'm not feeding them anything super special, just a decent mix I buy. Perhaps your friend's cage isn't well ventilated?

Well it doesn't bother me when the mice pee (and poop of course) on me, so if it's similar to that I wouldn't be too concerned. Just gotta keep tissue handy :v: Nice to know yours grew out of it generally though!

I'm not sure about her cage really. It's a barred cage I know that, but she's upgraded size since I went down there so I dunno what it's like now. Two of my other friends have rats, and the rats themselves don't really smell either. My mice don't really smell at all either - only their tank does, on cleaning day.

Thanks for your help btw guys :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

Rat piss stinks, and unless you clean them daily they will have some level of smell. It may be mild, but it will be noticeable to people who don't have rats. They're not as smelly as male mice or hamsters, but they have an odor.

I've had syrian hamsters before and not been bothered by them either. Is the problem that rats just pee on each other constantly or something?

If it makes a difference I'd probably do daily spot cleaning once I get 'em litter trained.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Chakattack! posted:

That's really weird because I've heard a lot that young rats (especially boys) can be really stinky when they're young but tend to grow out of it. I haven't noticed a real change in smell levels as my rats have grown up, except maybe I'm less vigilant about spot-cleaning their cage as I was when I first got them (and it was all new and exciting and not boring routine!), so it can get smellier quickly. One thing I have noticed with my cage is that the actual cage itself holds the smell the most - it had uncoated metal bars and I painted them (with rat-safe paint!) to coat them but don't think it worked too well, so the cage bars always have a faint ratty smell. Maybe your friend has the same issue? Cleaning that part of the cage is a nightmare for me because I can't put it in the bath/shower without scratching it as it's so big, and I live in a rented flat on the 4th floor.

I don't know if she cleans the bars of the cage or not, but according to her its the very fur of the rats that stinks, so I don't know if that's affected by the cage itself. It's weird that all of her rats have smelled like that though, and apparently the woman she got her most recent boys from has the same problem with hers.

The cage I reeeeeally want now has coated bars, which will make it easier for wiping down for future ratties.

Chakattack! posted:

Also, just wanted to say don't be intimadated by how in-depth the breeder questionnaires can be - you obviously know your stuff and I think the fact that you read and post somewhere like PI means you have a much better level of knowledge than your average pet owner. The breeder I got my girls from had a really huge form to fill out, but she was really great and friendly. She was even going to bring the girls down for me from the very north of Scotland to Edinburgh where I live! Unfortunately this was last winter when we had all the epic snow so I ended up getting them at Christmas when I was up north to see family anyway, which was great because I got to see her epic heated rat shed with a massive free-range play area and lots of adorable rats. :)

The Honeyduke Rattery breeder lives in the same city I visit a couple times a week for university, so if I get the all-clear I'll hopefully be able to go and see her rats and rat room when I get some rats :D

I shot the woman an email this morning briefly outlining my situation and that I'm not actually looking for rats for another year or so, just doing research and stuff now, and asking if (with that in mind) I could send her the questionnaire now. I filled out and saved the questionnaire last night and found I could answer every question, so hopefully she'll be open to it.

Apparently the questionnaires get reviewed at by all the people in the Tabi Initiative though, so I've got four pretty noteworthy breeders to impress :ohdear:

E: I sent her the application. I hope I get approved!

Fraction fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 4, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Not my rat, but a friend got one more (bringing his total up to four, in a Liberta Explorer cage). She is so goddamn adorable and I wanted her brother so bad :swoon:

I haven't heard back from the Honeyduke Rattery breeder since she invited me to send her my application. It's been a week now, should I be worried? :ohdear:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Beluga Smoothie posted:

Fraction: How cute! I love that pattern. :)

Her brother was seriously even more cute and I wanted him so, so much :smith:

Superconsndar posted:

You jerks in the UK are so lucky with your m/c free high whites :qq:

Yeah I'd prob send her a nice "Hey just wanted to make sure you got my application!! :)" email.

Out of curiousity, why is it that American high whites get megacolon and UK rats don't? Were American/UK high whites developed differently or something?

I've sent her an email, thanks!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

There are safe high whites in the US, it's just our dominant blazing (and I think a few dal lines, but I think those were bred from dominant blazing lines I THINK oh god its been so long) that are problematic. But yeah tldr; different genes are involved. I believe it's UK husky that gives UK rats symmetrical blazes which is a different gene from US Dominant blazing. US husky is a diff thing from UK husky too. I know some american breeders have imported UK huskies to get symmetrical blazing without the risk.

I just realized I'm not 100% positive on the details of the above and that makes me sad because I used to know all of these things :qq:

Do you know of any good websites that go through all this, or that go through rat genes in general? I find it interesting :shobon:

Also, I was reading through the Rat FAQ? in the archives and at the end there's a few mentions of a product to minimise rat smell - Bi-Odour? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got an email back from the Honeyduke Rattery lady :toot:

quote:

Right, i have feedback! This might be a little garbled, just try and decipher lol!

Point the first. I just want to make sure you're aware that the average lifespan for rats is between 22 and 24 months. This is obviously very low, and one of the main things that we're working on within the TI. However this is obviously a long term thing and we're only just setting out. I do think we have better longevity than the average, but 24-28 months is probably a more realistic lifespan age.
The vet thing (money) came up, and we thought we'd suggest maybe having a vet fund that could add to weekly/monthly but of course it's up to you how you afford these things when the time comes - the important thing is that vet care is given when needed.
Substrate...if you're not sure about which to try, why not try both? Aubiose on the bottom where it'll absorb smells well etc, and card on top for digging funs. Also, scatter feeding was mentioned which is great for enrichment.
As for the rats in the future part...we'd like to suggest a "rolling" system ie taking on a pair/trio and adding another pair/trio when the first are about 18-24 months. Since I always have lots of rats I'm never really going to be in a situation where anyone is alone, as I also have a rolling system, just on a much bigger scale!  Unless of course you decide after your first few rats that you don't want to keep them anymore, at which point we'd appreciate you keeping us up to date and we could "lend" you rats to keep an oldy company, or take in a lone rat, that kind of thing.
Diet might need to be looked at a little. Generally you've got the right idea but you didn't mention supplements which are important if you're feeding a straights based diet. I'm currently experiemeting with a horse feed based diet which lowers the need for supplements. I'd be happy to discuss this, or you could start a thread on fancy rats asking for some different opinions.
I would also like to invite you round to see my little rattery, and meet some of my wonderful rats. Gives us a chance to have a good chat, and also gives you a feel for the kind of personalities we're striving for.
Feel free to reply with any questions/comments etc!

I think this means I might be able to get awesome rats next year :dance: I go to the city she's based in three times a week, so I'm going to try arranging to meet her and see her rats soon.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Olive Bar posted:

For those of you who let your rats run around on your couch, how do you control the pee? I wouldn't be able to see the pee on my dark couch so I don't know how I would natures miracle it.

Maybe throw a pale old blanket over the couch, to protect it and help you see pee marks better?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My friend has a problem with one of his rats. He has four females (all pet shop rats: Adam, Eve, Eden and Apple) that until about a month ago were in a Liberta Explorer, and since then have been in a cage that is slightly larger than half of a Liberta/single level Liberta. He had to downsize because it was taking him too long to clean and the Liberta cage was too big for the room his rats are in. His rats come out for play and roaming for around an hour a day.

Since the downsize (and the simultaneous merging of Adam, Eve and Eden with Apple - they'd been introduced for about a fortnight prior to the merge), Eden has regressed back to being really nervy and timid. About a week ago he first noticed she's making a 'soft crying noise', which he's identified now as bruxing, apparently. She does it when he opens the cage to let them out, and I think at other times when he's not interacting with them. He hasn't noticed her 'eyes bulging out' or anything.

Afaik, bruxing can be a stress thing. He's pretty down about it, as it's taken him a lot of work to get Eden even tolerant of him. She's the oldest rat and was given to him by a pet shop going out of rat breeding, and she has always been really scaredy in general since he got her. Is this likely just a thing that'll go as quickly as it arrived? Or should he go back to forced socialisation again?

(Wall of :words: about rats that aren't even mine.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Skittle Wood posted:

It sounds like a new social order was established in the cage and she's stressed about the dominance process coupled with the cramped space making it hard to find a safe space to relax. I can't say for sure since I don't know how the alpha rat is behaving, but it's my best guess. Is there any way he can afford/make room for another cage that offers more space for the rats but isn't as big as the Explorer?

I'm not sure if it's cramped, per se. Iirc, it's this cage that they're in now, which according to the rat cage calculator site should allow for 9 rats if given 2.5ft per rat. So it's definitely not a small cage.

I know there was some dominance things going on just before he got the new cage, actually, with the rat in question (Eden) bullying Adam and dominating Eve. When they all met up, Apple let Eden groom her and stuff without much protest, and he hasn't mentioned that they've had any issues since about a week after the merge.

Unfortunately though there's no way for him to get another cage. He's bought... a couple, loves this one, and has no money or space (since the cage is in his small bedroom) for another cage. He did mention a couple weeks ago that Eve had porphyrin stains on her face, but that cleared up and hasn't reoccurred since.

Would getting more places for the rats to sleep help at all? I think they have two at the moment, but all sleep in just one area. They have a ton of toys and a wheel etc too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I haven't confirmed it, no. I've not been able to get round for a while. He described the sound to me and the only sounds I could think of that rats tend to make are respiratory distress sounds and bruxing. He said its definitely not a respiratory thing; he youtubed bruxing and said that's the sound she's been making.

I don't think she does it every day, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to time a visit and see for myself.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I've asked about ratty smell before in here, but got a quick question to ask.

I got a male mouse fairly recently and, although I'm not bothered by his smell, my mother really is (yet the cage of four girls right next to him doesn't bother her unless it's Cleaning Day). I clean their cages 2x a week and give them drops of vanilla extract in their water to keep smell down, but even so she can't go too near to Wheatley's cage without feeling sick. She's very sensitive to animal smells.

So my question is, do rats on average smell more than a male mouse would? I've been banned from having male mice again unless they're in my room :rolleyes: I'm planning on getting two rats (I'd prefer males buuut) in an Aurora 450 cage, which I'll be getting very soon. I'll likely clean twice a week still and spot clean daily to keep smell down, but if the rats are likely to smell a lot worse/more strongly than my mouse, they may end up stuck in my room, which'd suck.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

RazorBunny posted:

This sounds a little weird, but maybe you could take her to a pet store and ask them to pull out the rat tank and let her take a sniff to see if it bothers her?

My personal experience is that rats' bodies are a little stronger-smelling, but their urine bothers me less. Male mouse urine is pretty gross.

Yeah, it's not Wheatley's fur smell that bothers her but his urine is very strong and "mousey". It's kind of crazy that he smells more than four females!

Excellent idea on taking her to a pet store though. There's one in the next town. I could try and see if my local rat-owning friend wouldn't mind bringing one of his girls out to meet her at some point, too :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus and others, could you post pictures of your ratty setups? I enjoy seeing cage setups, and it'll give me more ideas for when I get rats... eventually.

Also my rat-owning local friend has agreed to bring his girls around sometime for my mum to see/handle/smell :neckbeard:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh god I got my rat cage today. I've also got my names picked out (it's 99% likely going to be Boleyn and Tudor, both boys :3:), and I should be meeting my breeder very soon too. I'm so goddamn excited, but I'm probably not going to be able to get them for another year or so.

:qq: Why is being responsible and not overloading myself with animals such a difficult task?

RazorBunny, I need more babby rat photos to get through this, I think.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

On the subject of rats eating bugs, has anyone fed crickets to theirs? The big pet chain shop nearby sells 'em, and I'm totally wanting to buy a couple and let my future ratties go nuts if it'd be safe.

Also, did somebody post that they made a no-sew cube for their rats recently? I was trying to look for it but couldn't find the post. If anyone has instructions for a *good* no sew cube, I'd like to hear them. Mine come out pretty mangled!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

How old are you that you can adequately look after/pay for/care for a rat, but you can't get another because your parents might say mean things? :psyduck: I'm not even touching the 'lol I snuck a living animal into my room cause I wanted to' thing.

Your rat needs a diet of different grains, and daily veg, (with other things as treats). She also needs a buddy. If you are unable to provide these things then you are being irresponsible and doing your rat a disservice.

To reiterate someone earlier: the pet shop you got her from won't even house solo rats, and I bet they get fed lab blocks at least. The pet shop is doing more to provide for their rats' base needs than you are at the moment.

E: I should refresh before I post, though what on earth is rat kibble?

Fraction fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 26, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Eighteen is old enough that you should know better than to sneak animals into your parents house. Have you sat down with them and explained that rats are social creatures? That they *need* the companionship? Alternatively, like Invalid Octopus said, what would happen if you just brought another rat in?

The food thing was a misunderstanding. I've never heard 'kibble' used to refer to anything but dog/cat dry food, my bad.

Since you have this rat now and you don't want to get rid of her, you have to do right by her. Which means, you do need to get her a companion.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

She's a young, female rat. Females are generally more inquisitive than males; afaik it's pretty common for them to prefer to go exploring than to sit and get cuddles.

I wouldn't let a rat roam in a room I wasn't in/couldn't directly supervise, though. Something could fall on her, or she could spook and hide and give you great trouble in finding her again.

If you want her to be more social, I'd suggest letting her into a basic, relatively furniture-free room, and reward heavily for choosing to hang out with you. It might feel like bribery, but it'll help her associate you with good, tasty things.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

sweek0 posted:

I've seen a lot of good cages recommended in these threads but most of them are very hard to get in the UK. Any UK-specific recommendations?

Do you have a limit for cost and for size?

There are lots of very nice cages that we have access to here. My friend has had a Liberta Explorer; I really love the look of the supremely-tall Liberta Happy House; and I have an Aurora 450 waiting in my basement for when I get rats (:neckbeard:).

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

sweek0 posted:

Liberta Happy House looks really good actually. :) I was thinking about a hundred quid but this seems so much better than the alternatives out there that it's probably worth going for a little more.

If you like it, then grab it definitely. A thing to note is that with the stand, it's nearly six feet tall. There's lots of little doors on it that any escape-loving rats might try to get through; I'd suggest clipping them shut if they seem at all like the rats would be able to open.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Baby rat webcam :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:mad: I really hate your rat photo posts! :mad:

They make me want my rats nowwwwww :smith:

How many rats do you have? And what are their names?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

They're all gorgeous, I'm so jealous! :3: I have no idea what variety Gypsy is - she looks like a silver or blue combo'd with agouti, somehow. Weird, but very cute!

I'll probably be able to picspam in a couple of weeks, as I'm looking after my friend's two girls for ten days. I'm hoping that a) I enjoy the experience, obviously, and b) my dogs don't try to eat his rats. Hm.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I thought ivory was just the ~show name~ for a BEW here? :psyduck:

By the way, if anyone in the UK is after a new cage, there have been some returns lately at Equine Canine Feline. Some of their cages got delivered very lightly damaged, and my friend managed to snag an Aurora 600/Large Atalanta for just £100, and it usually costs £200 or so. We're waiting to see just how much 'minor damage' it has, but assuming it's the same as the aurora 450 that he got before (that is now in my basement, awaiting future rats) - just damage to the legs that doesn't affect how it works at all.

So tldr to say, keep an eye on cages on ECF for ones marked *CLEARANCE*. There is an Aurora 450/Medium Atalanta on there at the moment for just £75, and that usually costs £160 :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

RazorBunny posted:

I need to set up some pictures of Garrus eating a dried grasshopper, he gets the most intense look on his face. Unfortunately their cage is in a corner where there isn't a lot of light, so it's hard to get photos. Maybe I can convince him to sit on the cat tree and eat his grasshopper.

Have you ever tried them on live bugs? That'd be hella :black101:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

Is this a good thing when my hand is the only source of food?

While it's good for them to associate you with food, I'd be wary of doing it longterm. Iirc, rats need food available for constant grazing. You'd probably be better using straight grains rather than lab blocks (and they're better for the rats, too); your rat can't hoard away a hundred individual pieces of oat or whatever.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

They do get plenty of grazing snacks from me since I sit at the computer next to the cage for hours a day(my kitchen table is a workbench for vintage moped parts. Not a good place to sit and eat at). They do occasionally eat veggies, by the way. It really depends on what I'm eating as I usually give them a little piece of what I am eating (I am a largely lowly processed, fruit, nut, light eater) and I work one mile from home so I see/feed them when I am on lunch break too. I'll probably try out a homemade grain mixture when I get through this bag of lab blocks. I would switch it up sooner but I've heard no complaints from the rats yet and they do get other stuff regularly so it is real easy to keep using them. I like the way they react when I pick up the bag too. As soon as they hear the sound of the bag crinkling they run around all excited and practically jump up and down at the doorway.

If one is hoarding the lab blocks though, I'd be questioning how much the other is grazing on overnight.

Their response to the bag is just a Pavlovian response. You could easily enough recreate their reaction by feeding them from a tub instead :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got to see a friend's rats while I was at her house. One was very interested in me/my camera :3:

Every time I see rats it just makes me long for some even more.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Pretty much after I don't have mice anymore. Which, at the rate they're going, won't be long at all.

I'd been thinking that it wouldn't be for another year or so, but who knows. I have the cage and some cage accessories already though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I know the pros and cons of buying from a pet shop vs buying from a breeder, but does anyone with PMs and experience mind having a quick chat about that? I have some questions :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I emailed you my reply :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Be sure to post pics so it doesn't explode :3: RES is a thing, just like PES and KES.

Tomorrow evening my friend's bringing his rats over to my house so I can look after them for ten days. I assume I can post pictures of them here right?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh god that's too cute. Lego palace is such an awesome idea too :3:

I'm going to my friend's to pick up his rats in like 5-6 hours. I'm as excited for this as I would be if I was getting my own rats. He already brought over their small (well not really) old cage, a Ferplast Furet Plus, and I've set it up. They have two hammocks, their wheel, a hemp rope, a wooden swing (too big for my mice/they don't use it), a wooden ladder, and a hanging toy. Then I thought the floor looked bare so I've stuffed some treats (mealworms and a couple sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds) into a toilet roll tube and closed up the ends, and put some treats into a cardboard egg box.

I am a rat lady and these aren't even my pets :saddowns:

For anyone who has both mice and rats: are yours in the same room? I've moved my mice into a different room because of not enough space, and I don't want to stress my mice with Sudden Rat Smell.

Since the rats will be here and set up by 6 at the latest, I'm planning to leave them overnight to settle back into this cage then introduce myself in the morning. I plan to bribe with all the mealworms!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

The rats have landed :black101:

We had a slight transport problem and ended up having to bus it to mine, so the rats weren't too impressed and got kind of covered in their own piss/crap. But half an hour after they were set up in the cage they seemed pretty interested in interacting with me, so I just spent some time feeding them mealworms and stroking their little backs. It's so awesome having small pets I can stroke again - the mice are way too small for that. Adam put her lil paws on my hand and I melted just a little.

Adam and Eve (both girls) say hello to the thread! Adam is a red eyed white and Eve is a red eyed himalayan, I think. Adam is more outgoing and Eve is a little nervy but I'll get her to come round with the power of treats love.

The setup. It looks smaller than it is in real life.

Right now Eve is ignoring the two hammocks and sleeping in the wheel. You'll have to forgive the poor quality pictures; I'll take better ones if/when we have sunlight tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Count Harper posted:

Oh, is the white with brown nose pattern Himalayan? With red eyes? I've had two female rats with that coloring and they have been the sweetest rats I've ever had. :3:
I'm so excited for you and your new ratties!

I think so, she has a brown rear too. She is very sweet and although shyer than Adam, she was tentatively climbing partly onto my arm last night. They're only mine for the next 10-11 days but man I want some of my own even more now.

Maeume posted:

AWW thew new baby is so sweet <3 Still not sure if a boy, or a girl.

I managed to sex a ~5-6 week old mouse when i got him with little experience in sexing stuff. I don't get how you could have trouble with a rat. :psyduck:

rats rats rats rats rats

yes guys please carry on sleeping in the wheel

this is what happens when you open the cage door. rats are much better than mice!

Eve has some porphyrin stains around her eye, boo. I was wrong about which rat is Boss Rat, I'm pretty sure now it's Eve. She's been bossing Adam around this morning. Both have had a teeny bit of toast and enjoyed it lots :3:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 28, 2012